ADVERTISEMENT

1A - Tournament Teams

Dec 1, 2014
Danville fan posting... Does anyone have a general overview of Gladbrook-Reinbeck, Colo-Nesco, Mapple Valley, Central Lyon and Boyden Hull?

We have ran into Boyden Hull in the state tournament before and know they are very tough disciplined team that gives us challenges. Can anyone give an overview of them and any of the other top ranked teams. Thanks.

3 NW Iowa teams that are capable of winning it all: Boyden Hull, Central Lyon, & LeMars Gehlen

Gehlen is smaller than last year's team, but probably more balanced. Difficult to defend since the scoring gets spread around. Inside & outside threats. Doesn't play a real strong schedule.

Central Lyon: Traditionally more of a football school. Team is full of good athletes & play a real physical defense. They shoot a lot of 3's & depend on winning the rebound/turnover battle.

It seems like every Boyden Hull team has a really high basketball IQ. More balanced scoring now that Coach Francis does not have a son playing for the first time in about 6 years. Biggest win was over 3A power MOC.

BH & CL both are battled-hardened by a brutal conference schedule. They probably play a tougher opponent than anyone on Danville's schedule every week & are used to playing without a big lead. BH especially is great at clock management down the stretch.

Gladbrook Reinbeck---

Fresh off a State Title Appearance in football. It didn't take long for them to get in a grove for basketball. After beating South Hardin by only 11 to start the season they later won by 30 against them.

Pierce is the big post will will bully you to death! At 6'4-5 235-240
He gets a lot of fouls and hits a solid 65% of the attempts. He gets about 7-8 boards a game and 2-3 come on the offensive glass for a team that shoots 50%+ so works on the offensive boards. He is also very solid at finding teammates.

Cameron Clark is the more athletic post. He has the ability to step out and shoot on occasion. He scores at a higher % than Pierce, but he isn't as bulky. At 6'4 190 he is more finesse than power. He is one of those players that will leak out in transition and beat your post down the floor. He is also very good with body positioning and gets almost as many offensive boards as he does defensive.

Holman is another bruiser. He is more of a role player and not looked upon to score much, but you have to respect his abilities as a defender. He can take a smaller guy to the post, but loves to shoot the trey. He works hardest on the defensive glass.

Kickbush is a dead eye shooter. He can score at the rim or from outside. He is hitting 46% of his 3's on the season. He leads the team in 3's made though he hasn't played every game.

Smoldt is the star and they treat him like it. He has taken 60 more shots than anyone else on the team and he is only a Sophomore. As a 51%FG shooter, 36%3PT, 78%FT and averaging 18PPG he can score in any way. He gets in the passing lanes and distributes well also.

Dinsdale is probably the secret weapon on the team. He is what I would consider a dirty work guy. He does everything that doesn't include scoring. Pass, rebound, and steal. He doesn't make stupid mistakes with the ball either.

They go 9 guys deep, but you can bet that Smoldt, Kickbush, or Pierce will be on the court at all times to leave them with a solid scoring option.

5'10-6'5 height range across the board. Smoldt, Roeding, and Tyler Pierce(Not Zack who is mentioned above) are all Sophomores playing Varisty for them.

Kickbush, Dinsdale, Smoldt, and Roeding play on the perimeter... Holman plays inside and out... Pierce works the post only... Clark generally works the elbow to low block, but as I said can occasionally step outside.

I agree with this but they are a very beatable team if you slow them down in transition they struggle in the half court game.

Don't sleep on District 2. Whoever comes out of that isn't going to just lay over for the Central Lyons and Boyden Hulls of the world. You have Newell, GTRA, Manson, and Garrigan all in the BCMoore top 25. Alta-Aurelia is another team to watch out of that district.

I have not. I have family from DNH and GR. I coach and live in Davenport. With access to the hudl and maxpreps I have been able to watch film on teams and so I have watched some on GR since they are undefeated I wanted to see how they look. It took me about 15 minutes of film to figure out what type of players each of them are.

This post was edited on 2/6 3:54 PM by maxstabs13

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT