ADVERTISEMENT

1A Substate

tigermasta71

Freshman
Jan 21, 2006
Substate pairings are out!

http://www.iahsaa.org/soccer/08sss1A.pdf

Who do you have playing in the finals of each substate?
This post was edited on 3/19 6:26 PM by tigermasta71

Perry
Nevada
Norwalk
Bondurant
DC-G

are all in the same substate. that could prove interesting.

Wahlert made it to state last year,lost 3-1 to Xavier in the first round and only lost one starter. They will be good

Originally posted by 4_1A_2_Nv:
Perry
Nevada
Norwalk
Bondurant
DC-G

are all in the same substate. that could prove interesting.

Do you think the state will do what they did last year and change the substates a week or so later when they realize that this happened? Or do you think they will leave it alone this year?

I would doubt that they change it completely this year again like last year, but i could be wrong, however i am tired of seeing the same matchups every year in substates. I would like to see some variation happening between the state, however i know the importance of having it be according to regional location. I just think it would be interesting to see some matchups like Council Bluffs and Cedar Rapids, Adel and Assumption, anything that would throw some substates off.

And for God's sakes, give the Fort Madison teams [Public and Holy Trinity] someone worthy of playing in substate to prove themselves worthy of making it into the state tournament...

I know its not all perfect, but sometimes you may have the majority of the solid teams in 3 or 4 brackets. It happens alot and there is nothing you can do about it.

Who specifically does Dubuque Wahlert return? any stats?

So who does everyone have for picks in their substates?
Here are mine and I know I'll get jumped on for them but here they go..

Substate 1: Denison-Schleswig vs. Unity Christian
Denison was last year's state runner-up to Norwalk and I'm sure they'll have a good season. And I think Unity will beat a very good Spencer team to make it to the final game with Denison.

Substate 2: Norwalk vs. Bondurant-Farrar
Probably the toughest substate. Bondurant has quite a few seniors and I know Norwalk has a lot of starters back from last year's state championship team. Norwalk might have a little challenge with Perry if they play and Bondurant will have to beat DCG then probably Nevada to advance and thats no easy task.

Substate 3: Waterloo Columbus Catholic vs. Gladbrook-Reinbeck
What I see as the second toughest substate. Columbus will have a tough game with Waverly-Shell Rock while GR has a tough game with the Clear Lake vs. Decorah winner. Decorah has had a pretty strong team the past few years and Clear Lake looks like they have some talented athletes back. Could be an interesting substate.

Substate 4: Iowa City Regina vs. Cedar Rapids Xavier
Regina's half of the bracket is a little prettier than Xavier's with Solon and a decent Mount Vernon team. I think Xavier will take care of the bottom half with more difficulty than they think, but nothing they can't handle.

Substate 5: Dubuque Wahlert vs. Davenport Assumption
Wahlert seems to be a good pick on the top half since they return quite a few athletes from last year's state tournament team who played pretty well against Xavier. Davenport Assumption got beat last year by Wahlert and I think this year they make it through the bottom half alright and get a shot at Wahlert again.

Substate 6: Fort Madison vs. Columbus Junction
Fort Madison is usually a tough team but Holy Trinity will play them to a tough game. Columbus Junction I think will take the bottom half which I know very little about.

Substate 7: Centerville vs. Knoxville
Centerville will be played close by a "down" Pella team and South Tama will give them a run for their money. On the bottom, there seems to be a lot of teams who aren't real good usually. I picked Knoxville based on past success. This substate is really a toss up.

Substate 8: Lewis Central vs. Council Bluffs St. Albert
Lewis Central could have an interesting game with ADM if they meet up but I think Lewis Central will be too strong. St. Albert will have a tough game with a consistently solid Glenwood and I think St. Albert can pull out another close one to make it to the substate final.

Teams qualify for state
Denison-Schleswig
Norwalk/Bondurant Undecided?!?! This substate could be fun
Waterloo Columbus Catholic
Cedar Rapids Xavier
Dubuque Wahlert
Fort Madison
Centerville
Council Bluffs St. Albert

Feel free to make any comments, leave your own opinions or predictions.

Substate I: Denison-Schleswig - they were a decent team last year, i am not sure as to what they return.
Substate II: Norwalk - so long as they dont blow it with players being stupid this year, they have WAY too many offensive/defensive weapons that any team in this bracket could provide as a challenge. but, upsets do happen.
Substate III: Waterloo Columbus Catholic - of course, led by Kluck
Substate IV: Cedar Rapids Xavier or IC Regina - i'm not sure how Xavier will be after graduating all of those seniors last year. I know Regina has had a few appearances in the past few years as well.
Substate V: Dubuque Wahlert - seems to be the team to beat in the sports this year after their crazy finish in the 3A State championship game for Basketball.
Substate VI: Fort Madison - ....
Substate VII: Not sure - I cant seem to remember who Knoxville returns. Did Shae Phillips graduate yet?
Substate VIII: Not sure - ADM had a solid team the past couple years. LC was in the Norwalk tournamnet last year and i wasnt too impressed but who konws..?

i dunno much about any of the teams other than whalert.. and they are very good, but the player they lost to graduation was one of thier best players.. there star, louis oswlad, got all state last year and he signed with Drake

I play for wahlert and the senior we lost wasn't one our best players he was more like in the middle and played forward but we have a new coach that is getting us into better shape and getting us a better touch then any of us have ever had before and louie signed with Western Illinois not Drake. Does anyone know how good Assumption will be there? just curious because we might be playing them in out substate this year.

no we just got a new head and assistant coach both soccer players from Loras College who made it to the final four this year so they actually know what they are talkin about.

who do u play for hopper?
This post was edited on 3/22 10:34 PM by WCHSEAGLES
This post was edited on 3/22 10:35 PM by WCHSEAGLES

Keep in mind: Just because you can play ball doesn't mean that you can coach it.

Who are the two new coaches that played at Loras?

matt pucci and nick rizzo, matt was a senior starter and rizzo a souphmore, played center mid. So does anybody have anything on Assumption?

good luck buddy beating GR then Decorah.
THEN youll have to beat Waverly or Columbus.
This post was edited on 3/27 9:23 PM by RonaldoTorres23

I don't think Assumption has won a game yet this year. Granted, they haven't played very many due to weather but I don't think they are very good this year. Expected to finish bottom of the MAC, I think.

"Substate 1: Denison-Schleswig vs. Unity Christian
Denison was last year's state runner-up to Norwalk and I'm sure they'll have a good season. And I think Unity will beat a very good Spencer team to make it to the final game with Denison."

Spencer beat Unity 4-0 already this year and Spencer is a very solid team which has a lot of juniors leading the team again. Denison and Spencer are probably the favorites in the substate. The SLP-O/Spencer game was very misleading because they were without 3 of their better players due to a death of a okoboji student from a longboarding accident. They were without the Top 2 goalies, and either one starts in the field on defense. Their center back and best forward. The kid in goal had never played it before and made some big mistakes that caused many of the goals. The next game should be a lot closer but Spencer is a very good team.

No just pointing out that you predicted Unity to beat a very solid Spencer team that i don't see happening and i followed that up with a score that has happened already between them with Spencer winning 4-0.

Ok because honestly, I had no idea about the teams in that substate so I just took a stab. And I know more now about Spencer and I would probably take them. But I've made my predictions and I'll just leave it alone.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT