ADVERTISEMENT

1A - First Round

Osage played a kid at QB in the curtain raiser, then switched his jersey and played him 4 quarters at FS in the varsity game. MFL caught it, let the AD from Osage know about it, and Osage called the state and self-reported and forfeited the 28-22 win. Osage is 2A-3 champions, never lost in district play.

That's interesting. Wonder who called that out and forced the issue. Can't say I remember that happening before.

Edit: Well, there is the background, thanks. MFL doing some detective work for the win. lol.

I was wondering when the last time Regina lost in the first round of playoffs happened? Usually they are not playing away from home, but this could be new territory.

Regina moving the ball up and down the field on PC.
Halfback pass was almost the PC entire offense in the 1st half until a drive in the final 2 minutes.
Regina with a fumble and two turnovers on downs inside the 10.

Probably the worst game of the year for the Regals. Bad time for it.
Too many injuries. Been a long time since a season like that.

Why did Osage forfeit the game to MFL? Osage beat New Hampton handily and seems like they quite possibly would have beaten MFL too.
Osage did forfeit a game to MFL. I read the article. https://www.kaaltv.com/sports/local...ter-allowing-an-athlete-to-play-six-quarters/ . Osage had the 28-22 win, they played a player for 2 quarters in a JV game then all 4 quarters of the varsity game the same night. Rules allow only 5 quarters in the same day. The self reported to IHSAA almost immediately and took the forfeit. Don't know if they had pressure or anything, but it looks like they stepped up and did the right thing. Regardless, MFL played that game close and I think it would be viewed as a "quality loss" if it had stood. Certainly nothing to question MFLs ability which they seem to have shown the rest of the season.

Not 100% sure but I had heard osage tried to sneak him in by using a different jersey # and mfl coaches took notice and waited to say anything until after the game.

Good reason not to play JV and Varsity games on the same night. That could have cost Osage a District title or a home playoff game.

Good reason not to play JV and Varsity games on the same night. That could have cost Osage a District title or a home playoff game.
It had no impact on district standings or playoff qualification for a 2A school since it was a non-district game. In 2A, only district games determine playoff qualification as well as site assignments.

It had no impact on district standings or playoff qualification for a 2A school since it was a non-district game. In 2A, only district games determine playoff qualification as well as site assignments.
However, if they make it to the final 8 it has a bearing on the seeding for the final 4 teams. The coaches get together and decide seeing of the final 8. That loss could make a difference in that scenario.

However, if they make it to the final 8 it has a bearing on the seeding for the final 4 teams. The coaches get together and decide seeing of the final 8. That loss could make a difference in that scenario.
Yep, it could affect how seeding would be determined for the final 4 teams remaining based on how the coaches seed those final 8 teams, but that still wouldn't impact qualification or site assignments for the playoffs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT