ADVERTISEMENT

1A and 2A Brackets

North Linn has done the things to get to state. They made it through their substate and won every game in front of them. The top 7 coaches ranked them how they saw them. They can schedule whoever they like and play in whatever conference they choose. They can run the score up on these bad programs. They also must accept that this is how coaches will seed them. They have been good the last four years but that doesn't mean they get the 1 seed. They lost 4 starters from last years team. This is a different team. Hilmer can run the score up on anyone. (I personally think it is disrespectful to the game) but that is why they keep score. He is going to make coaches upset and that is who seeds the tournament. I see a lot of people bashing the tri-rviers. The tri-rivers is a 1a conference besides North Linn. It is probably the only conference in that state made up of only 1A schools so obviously it will be weaker. They have produced state qualifiers numerous times in the past how many years though. Ed-Co, EV, Springville, Alburnett, North Linn and Prince of Peace have all been in the state tournament recently. Some of the teams are bad. Duh, every conference has bad teams in it every year. Show me one that doesn't. The RVC had Wilton, Durant & Tipton.
When’s the last time EV has made the state tournament? Agree with what your saying but a lot of the time some of those teams get there because they just play other tri-rivers teams in the post season because it’s such a big 1a conference they have to play in the post season. Just my opinion

North Linn has done the things to get to state. They made it through their substate and won every game in front of them. The top 7 coaches ranked them how they saw them. They can schedule whoever they like and play in whatever conference they choose. They can run the score up on these bad programs. They also must accept that this is how coaches will seed them. They have been good the last four years but that doesn't mean they get the 1 seed. They lost 4 starters from last years team. This is a different team. Hilmer can run the score up on anyone. (I personally think it is disrespectful to the game) but that is why they keep score. He is going to make coaches upset and that is who seeds the tournament. I see a lot of people bashing the tri-rviers. The tri-rivers is a 1a conference besides North Linn. It is probably the only conference in that state made up of only 1A schools so obviously it will be weaker. They have produced state qualifiers numerous times in the past how many years though. Ed-Co, EV, Springville, Alburnett, North Linn and Prince of Peace have all been in the state tournament recently. Some of the teams are bad. Duh, every conference has bad teams in it every year. Show me one that doesn't. The RVC had Wilton, Durant & Tipton.
The Tri-Rivers has had some really good teams in it over the past 2-3 years. North Linn, Ed-Co, Alburnette (over achiever though), and Prince of Peace. What makes the conference odd is the talent disparity between the top 3-4 teams and everyone else. There are literally no mid tier teams in the Tri-Rivers. It goes from really good, to awful

When’s the last time EV has made the state tournament? Agree with what your saying but a lot of the time some of those teams get there because they just play other tri-rivers teams in the post season because it’s such a big 1a conference they have to play in the post season. Just my opinion
I agree with this. You are basically guaranteed to have a team make it to state because you play each other to get to state. And then you throw in North Linn who has a great record so they get rewarded with an easy rode to state. So now they get two. I would say last year is probably the best the conference has ever been and this year it’s ok at best. Springville might get killed in their first round game and North Linn isn’t winning another state title. The top of Iowa has 3 teams in the tournament and they didn’t play each other to get to state. However Lake Mills only non top of iowa team they played was Turkey Valley

I agree with this. You are basically guaranteed to have a team make it to state because you play each other to get to state. And then you throw in North Linn who has a great record so they get rewarded with an easy rode to state. So now they get two. I would say last year is probably the best the conference has ever been and this year it’s ok at best. Springville might get killed in their first round game and North Linn isn’t winning another state title. The top of Iowa has 3 teams in the tournament and they didn’t play each other to get to state. However Lake Mills only non top of iowa team they played was Turkey Valley

Easy road to state? Doesn’t say much for your Top of Iowa Conference .... Dike beats West Fork, handily, Forest City beats Lake Mills and loses to Bishop by 7 down the stretch.... Last I heard, NL beat Forest City by 20... You have no idea if it was easy. That’s why you play the game. Ask UNI how easy it was to beat an average Drake team today... How funny would it be to see Springville pull off the upset? Odds are against them, but it could happen. That’s why you play the game... After all Alburnett did just that last yr... You call that “Over achieving”? Cascade’s State Championship? How can you play down what these young men accomplished? Sometimes teams go on a run.. So I guess you could say , either a team over achieves or under achieves, right? I prefer to say a team peaked at the right time and got a few breaks along the way.. Better to be lucky than good Maybe we cancel the State Tournament and let the Message Board Gods declare the winners.Lol. It would sure save schools lots of money and grief...

You don’t see me bashing conferences and teams who make it to state... In fact I’ve followed this board for yrs..... Used to be a thought provoking board.. Anyone who has been associated as a coach , player , parent etc, knows it is Never easy getting to State in anything.Anyone who thinks that, has never been to state.There will never be equal roads to State. That would be “mission Impossible”. Enjoy the weekend, fellas.

Last edited:
Easy road to state? Doesn’t say much for your Top of Iowa Conference .... Dike beats West Fork, handily, Forest City beats Lake Mills and loses to Bishop by 7 down the stretch.... Last I heard, NL beat Forest City by 20... You have no idea if it was easy. That’s why you play the game. Ask UNI how easy it was to beat an average Drake team today... How funny would it be to see Springville pull off the upset? Odds are against them, but it could happen. That’s why you play the game... After all Alburnett did just that last yr... You call that “Over achieving”? Cascade’s State Championship? How can you play down what these young men accomplished? Sometimes teams go on a run.. So I guess you could say , either a team over achieves or under achieves, right? I prefer to say a team peaked at the right time and got a few breaks along the way.. Better to be lucky than good Maybe we cancel the State Tournament and let the Message Board Gods declare the winners.Lol. It would sure save schools lots of money and grief...

You don’t see me bashing conferences and teams who make it to state... In fact I’ve followed this board for yrs..... Used to be a thought provoking board.. Anyone who has been associated as a coach , player , parent etc, knows it is Never easy getting to State in anything.Anyone who thinks that, has never been to state.There will never be equal roads to State. That would be “mission Impossible”. Enjoy the weekend, fellas.
Sorry I hurt your feelings. And North Linn is very very good this year. Don’t think anyone was saying forest city was a top 16 team, but once again North Linn played a cupcake. They are definitely a top 8 team, but didn’t play anyone really to get to state. And to say Alburnette didn’t overachieve is naive. They went on a run and won 2 games by 1 point that they weren’t better then. Happens all the time. Personally I would rather overachieve like Alburnette then underachieve like Easton Valley. That was just such a silly dumb point. And I’m pretty sure Springville lost to central city, a conference foe who was inferior. It happens. Lake Mills also beat forest city by more then North Linn did. Lake Mills won by I believe 25

Sorry I hurt your feelings. And North Linn is very very good this year. Don’t think anyone was saying forest city was a top 16 team, but once again North Linn played a cupcake. They are definitely a top 8 team, but didn’t play anyone really to get to state. And to say Alburnette didn’t overachieve is naive. They went on a run and won 2 games by 1 point that they weren’t better then. Happens all the time. Personally I would rather overachieve like Alburnette then underachieve like Easton Valley. That was just such a silly dumb point. And I’m pretty sure Springville lost to central city, a conference foe who was inferior. It happens. Lake Mills also beat forest city by more then North Linn did. Lake Mills won by I believe 25
Lol so true. This dude is such a clown. Go cry me a River in your gym where it’s too small to host playoff games lol.

Reactions: Anonymous111
The Tri-Rivers has had some really good teams in it over the past 2-3 years. North Linn, Ed-Co, Alburnette (over achiever though), and Prince of Peace. What makes the conference odd is the talent disparity between the top 3-4 teams and everyone else. There are literally no mid tier teams in the Tri-Rivers. It goes from really good, to awful
Yes, Alburnett over-achieved. They also won two games out at state. The argument that they only play tri-rivers schools to get to state isn't true. Springville didn't play a tri rivers school at all this post-season??? Prince of Peace beat Dunkerton to get there. Alburnett beat WACO to get there. Tri-Rivers is constantly putting teams in state by beating schools not in the conference. If it was that bad they wouldn't have any teams out in state.

How mad are you? Did North Linn beat your team by a lot? Are you still not over it? They played a pretty good Dike team.

Nice win for North Linn. They beat a solid West Sioux squad by handling the big moments in the last 2 minutes. Too many rookie mistakes doomed West Sioux. Although it felt like North Linn forced the errors by design. Funny what the big stage does to people, some rise up, others...don't. It will be interesting to see how North Linn handles the next 2 games. Impressive program.

Reactions: Troopslover12
How mad are you? Did North Linn beat your team by a lot? Are you still not over it? They played a pretty good Dike team.
No. Not from the area at all. Just know a phoney dynasty when I see one. Sorry I hurt your feelings by telling facts you clown

No. Not from the area at all. Just know a phoney dynasty when I see one. Sorry I hurt your feelings by telling facts you clown
You're the same type of person that hates on Lebron for being great and is made the Warriors win another title. At some point you need to sit back swallow your pride and enjoy what is truly unfolding in front go you. North Linn has been impressive for 5 years. They have found a way to win even with all the hatred they get. Yes, they could've handled themselves better with scores but if you ask anyone in the Tri Rivers they will have nothing but respect for North Linn. You think when Ryan Miller and Jake Hilmer were putting up video game numbers they were cocky about it and jerks on the court? I watched them both play our school many times and kill us but after games they are talking to our kids being friendly and joking. Same goes for this year the kids win with class and just play hard. Sometimes the score does get a little out of hand but its not out of disrespect. I might add im a parent of a kid that played these guys so...

You're the same type of person that hates on Lebron for being great and is made the Warriors win another title. At some point you need to sit back swallow your pride and enjoy what is truly unfolding in front go you. North Linn has been impressive for 5 years. They have found a way to win even with all the hatred they get. Yes, they could've handled themselves better with scores but if you ask anyone in the Tri Rivers they will have nothing but respect for North Linn. You think when Ryan Miller and Jake Hilmer were putting up video game numbers they were cocky about it and jerks on the court? I watched them both play our school many times and kill us but after games they are talking to our kids being friendly and joking. Same goes for this year the kids win with class and just play hard. Sometimes the score does get a little out of hand but its not out of disrespect. I might add im a parent of a kid that played these guys so...
We’ll have to agree to disagree on what is ok and what is not when it comes to the scores of their games. My biggest rebuttal though is I love LBJ:D

Now imagine North Linn was a private school...

Ok, I’ll bite..... Please enlighten us..... Can’t wait for this well thought of response.. Now Pinehawk wants to include NL in a public vs private discussion... We get it, you don’t like NL. You’ve hard a hard time responding to a post , without somehow including there name in the thread.... Having had kids play against them, you would think I should be the one with the beef.... understand you standing up for Regina, but I don’t quite get the hatred... Maybe I missed something.... Been following this site, since it’s onset... I don’t think they have even played a couple of times... And that wasn’t boys basketball..... Speaking of which, If Braun’s stayed, you make it to state? I say yes.

Ok, I’ll bite..... Please enlighten us..... Can’t wait for this well thought of response.. Now Pinehawk wants to include NL in a public vs private discussion... We get it, you don’t like NL. You’ve hard a hard time responding to a post , without somehow including there name in the thread.... Having had kids play against them, you would think I should be the one with the beef.... understand you standing up for Regina, but I don’t quite get the hatred... Maybe I missed something.... Been following this site, since it’s onset... I don’t think they have even played a couple of times... And that wasn’t boys basketball..... Speaking of which, If Braun’s stayed, you make it to state? I say yes.

That's a lot of random thoughts, not sure what you're looking for.
My point is that if North Linn were a private school. And, were having the exact same success as they are now. Everyone would be absolutely freaking out. Everyone knows that is true.

I don't care much about North Linn, other than not being impressed by the poor sportsmanship that they've shown over the past few years by running up the score in the pursuit of stats. Nothing illustrates this better than their 'co-coaches', which is happening for no other reason than to pad the record book.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Fatwall jr
Personally I just like watching them play these last few seasons at state. Felt sorry for them with the whole Grand View Christian deal a couple years ago. Fun group to follow when you can only see them at state.

Not sure about the co-coach or running up the score argument so I could care less about all that. Seems like some people are just trying to find a way to hate them because they are successful.

Felt sorry for them with the whole Grand View Christian deal a couple years ago.

Seems like some people are just trying to find a way to hate them because they are successful.

Like you just did with Grandview?

No one ever mentioned the word dynasty here until you did. Just bashing schedules and saying that NL wasn't going to do anything at state. "you clown" haha, someone is mad.

Not hating on Grandview for being successful, just don't like the route of recruiting out of state and country to 1A Iowa basketball. Just my opinion though.
Well, NL does have 3 transfers in their top 6 rotation (Kurt brothers from Independence and Vanourney is a Linn-Mar kid). But, what they did last night to an excellent Treynor team was remarkable. I don't think Treynor was expecting a kid that had made 5 threes all year to go 4-4 or for Miller (who had only made 11 or 12) to make 3, but Treynor turned it over like they'd never been trapped before. NL basically said "Screw it" and fly at them and see what happens, and they were right.

Reactions: IowaMan24
Well, Caleb Kurt is not related... Been there since kindergarten.. You just couldn’t give a compliment without trying to stir the pot. Lol But, that doesn’t fit your narrative, now does it... Not a big deal. IMO. Transferring in for your SR season...... I’m not so much a fan of. To each his own.. You fail to mention , Miller shoots 50% + from 3. Don’t need him to shoot lots of 3’s against 1a schools. That would be considered padding stats....To win games at State, you need an unsuspected hero “Haugenbary”, Meyers for Wapsi, Kelderman for BH... The list goes on and on....
I will say, Treynor was not prepared to be pressed. Nor did they adjust. Sometimes things just go sideways on a team. NL coaches saw a weakness and took a chance.....I saw Treynor winning this one by at least 10... I was wrong. Again , too much emphasis is put on “ weak” conference schedules, surprise, surprise.Good players and well coached teams seem to find success. I will give you credit though, they did seem to say “screw it”. Nothing to lose mentality last night. This time it worked..... Next time, who knows.

I will add, Treynor was very classy in the way they handled the situation.... Very classy...

Last edited:
Reactions: SicIturAdAstra
Which is why you and others aren't upset. If they were public, all of a sudden their recent success would become a problem that would need a multiplier to fix.
Success and/or recruiting isn't the problem. It is the huge socioeconomic advantage private schools have over public schools. Tie any multiplier to free and reduced lunch numbers in each district and see what happens.

Success and/or recruiting isn't the problem. It is the huge socioeconomic advantage private schools have over public schools. Tie any multiplier to free and reduced lunch numbers in each district and see what happens.

There are a lot of public schools with huge socioeconomic advantages over other public schools and maybe even some private schools. And, they are the public schools that we see with sustained success.
Do you care about this advantage/issue in public schools as well?

Holy buckets this argument is already going on in the football thread. The system isn't right and there isn't a perfect answer whether you all think your answers are the best or not. There's great basketball ahead of us still. Use this argument to fill the off season dead air like football is right now.

I said tie it to the socioeconomic numbers for all schools public and private. What argument would there be against that?

Hopefully we even finish the state tournament. Hate to see it cancelled on the last day to follow suit with NCAA/NBA/NAIA all cancelling.

Anyone know the requirements for Open Enrollment? I don’t believe that you can cross another district to enroll, correct?

Anyone know the requirements for Open Enrollment? I don’t believe that you can cross another district to enroll, correct?

You absolutely can. Both schools just have to agree. That’s it. The only time schools don’t agree, is if they are already at capacity, which is rare.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT