1A and 2A Brackets

super_tecmo_bowl

Freshman
Apr 28, 2005
https://www.iahsaa.org/basketball-2020-state-tournament-brackets/

CLASS 1A
Quarterfinals
Monday, March 9

9:30—#4 Montezuma (23-2) vs. #5 Martensdale-St. Marys (23-3)
11:15—#1 Lake Mills (23-2) vs. #8 Wapsie Valley, Fairbank (18-7)
1:00—#2 Bishop Garrigan, Algona (22-2) vs. #7 Springville (20-5)
2:45—#3 St. Mary’s, Remsen (22-3) vs. #6 West Fork, Sheffield (23-2)

CLASS 2A
Quarterfinals
Monday, March 9

4:30—#3 North Linn, Troy Mills (24-0) vs. #6 West Sioux, Hawarden (22-2)
6:30—#2 Treynor (24-1) vs. #7 Pella Christian (13-10)
8:15—#1 Boyden-Hull (21-3) vs. #8 Woodward-Granger (22-2)
Tuesday, March 10
9:30—#4 Camanche (21-3) vs. #5 Monticello (21-2)

Monty and Martensdale game will be a great game. WOW. Who in the world does Monty have that can stop Baker?

https://www.iahsaa.org/basketball-2020-state-tournament-bracket
I have PC vs Camanche in the the finals

CLASS 1A
Quarterfinals
Monday, March 9

9:30—#4 Montezuma (23-2) vs. #5 Martensdale-St. Marys (23-3)
11:15—#1 Lake Mills (23-2) vs. #8 Wapsie Valley, Fairbank (18-7)
1:00—#2 Bishop Garrigan, Algona (22-2) vs. #7 Springville (20-5)
2:45—#3 St. Mary’s, Remsen (22-3) vs. #6 West Fork, Sheffield (23-2)

CLASS 2A
Quarterfinals
Monday, March 9

4:30—#3 North Linn, Troy Mills (24-0) vs. #6 West Sioux, Hawarden (22-2)
6:30—#2 Treynor (24-1) vs. #7 Pella Christian (13-10)
8:15—#1 Boyden-Hull (21-3) vs. #8 Woodward-Granger (22-2)
Tuesday, March 10
9:30—#4 Camanche (21-3) vs. #5 Monticello (21-2)

Monticello & Camanche playing each other is disappointing. They've already played twice. I think both are better than North Linn. ( I know they aren't undefeated) but both of these teams have a loss to a 4A school. Takes some gumption to schedule that. While North Linn only played 1A schools this year.

Reactions: Pinehawk
The top of the 1A bracket is a lot tougher then the bottom half. Monticello and Camanche got screwed

Last edited:
I’m guessing most coaches had Boyden hull around the 2-3 seed and the 1 seed for everyone was different because of how close all the teams are.

Reactions: Anonymous111
I’m guessing most coaches had Boyden hull around the 2-3 seed and the 1 seed for everyone was different because of how close all the teams are.
I think you nailed it. There really is not a lot separating the top 6 teams and I am guessing the seedings all looked very different by the coaches as they tried to place everyone. In fact, I would not be surprised to find out that no two seedings looked identical or even that similar. It is a little disappointing to have Camanche and Monticello matched up first round but when you are purely ranking the teams and not trying to establish matchups that is always a possibility. This is still a far superior system than what it was before.

Reactions: NWIowaSioux
The 1A bracket overall looks pretty good. Maybe could flop 1 or two teams but other then that looks solid to me. Most interesting games are Montezuma and Martensdale and Garrigan and Springville. Horrible matchup for Monte and Springville but both teams can shoot the lights out of the ball which can brew upsets. Lake Mills despite being the one seed, has a harder path to the title then the 2 seed

Monticello & Camanche playing each other is disappointing. They've already played twice. I think both are better than North Linn. ( I know they aren't undefeated) but both of these teams have a loss to a 4A school. Takes some gumption to schedule that. While North Linn only played 1A schools this year.
Personally tired of all the bashing that is done to North Linn. Fact of the matter is they are the defending 2A state champ and did nothing but dominate all year. The bashing has been going on since the 2017 season and all they have done is impress and win games. Give credit where credit is due. This 2A field is loaded and I think it is a six team race and if you want to be the best you have to beat the best. May the best team win!!!

The top of the 1A bracket is a lot tougher then the bottom half. Monticello and Camanche got screwed
Seeding is done by the fellow coaches in the tournament so not sure how they get screwed for getting the seed they probably deserve with have the amount of losses they have. Monticello lost to a very bad CR Wash team. That is a bad loss regardless of class when the team wins 4 games all year. Hard to argue Monticello getting any better seed than what they received...

North Linn is in a tough spot, while they are the biggest school in the Tri-Rivers if you look at most of the teams in that conference you have their natural rivals, and they really aren't that much bigger then Maquoketa Valley, Alburnett, East Buc, or Lisbon, and Springville has been very successful in basketball. If they were to switch conferences they would probably land in the River Valley which would have similar travel, but without most of their rivals, and they would be the smallest school in the conference. While they have had great recent success in athletics there is no guarantee that it will happen in the future.

Personally tired of all the bashing that is done to North Linn. Fact of the matter is they are the defending 2A state champ and did nothing but dominate all year. The bashing has been going on since the 2017 season and all they have done is impress and win games. Give credit where credit is due. This 2A field is loaded and I think it is a six team race and if you want to be the best you have to beat the best. May the best team win!!!
Personally tired of seeing HS teams (kids) lose by 40, 50, 60 so one team can cover a spread....classless. Is this about winning or increasing already questionable stats? Time will tell, if they actually are the best team in 2A they'll prove it next week.

I don't know if I would bash other teams schedules. North Linn went out and scheduled Midland as one of their non conference games. In the tri-rivers you only play your side twice, there are no cross-over games. You can play someone on the other side but it is non conference. Scheduled Midland when you could have played Easton Valley, Cascade, etc.

North Linn is in a tough spot, while they are the biggest school in the Tri-Rivers if you look at most of the teams in that conference you have their natural rivals, and they really aren't that much bigger then Maquoketa Valley, Alburnett, East Buc, or Lisbon, and Springville has been very successful in basketball. If they were to switch conferences they would probably land in the River Valley which would have similar travel, but without most of their rivals, and they would be the smallest school in the conference. While they have had great recent success in athletics there is no guarantee that it will happen in the future.
Not that tough of a spot. When 3 or 4 of your top rotation players are transfers that always helps.

People who are ripping on North Linn for not scheduling stronger non-conference games, do you have direct knowledge of who Hilmer contacted to try and schedule games? You can't just magically put someone on your schedule and make them play you. You have to come to an AGREEMENT.

People who are ripping on North Linn for not scheduling stronger non-conference games, do you have direct knowledge of who Hilmer contacted to try and schedule games? You can't just magically put someone on your schedule and make them play you. You have to come to an AGREEMENT.
Which Hilmer?

NL got the 3rd seed, that's quite an achievement considering the difficult 2A field. Comparing this many good teams must be incredibly challenging...the best team will come out of it. Hats off to NL if it's them! In saying that, I doubt they win next week by a 50 pt margin as they did numerous times during the season..that my friends is wrong in so many ways. Those coaches should be checking their ego's.

Reactions: Pinehawk
Seeding is done by the fellow coaches in the tournament so not sure how they get screwed for getting the seed they probably deserve with have the amount of losses they have. Monticello lost to a very bad CR Wash team. That is a bad loss regardless of class when the team wins 4 games all year. Hard to argue Monticello getting any better seed than what they received...
You clearly have no understanding of how much better 4A is compared to 2A. Boyden Hull is the 1 seed and they lost by 10 to south obrien who just got molly whopped in a 1A substate final. 1-2A is comparable but not 2-4A. There are a few 4A teams that are atrocious, but would still go 500 or better in 1A/2A conferences. And I’m saying this as a fan of the smaller classes. It’s just a fact

Let's face it, whatever they have going on at North Linn seems to be working for them in multiple sports. I really enjoy watching their kids compete every year at state basketball and baseball. It's hard to stay consistent in multiple sports for this long. And they are a public school!

Reactions: Sarge-82
Personally tired of seeing HS teams (kids) lose by 40, 50, 60 so one team can cover a spread....classless. Is this about winning or increasing already questionable stats? Time will tell, if they actually are the best team in 2A they'll prove it next week.
I’m tired of people like you calling kids that put in the work to be successful classless. If you want to be successful in anything you do, sports or your occupation you have to put in the work if you want great results. If you don’t want to put in the work than you deserve to be handled accordingly. There are no short cuts to success so teams either need to work harder or continue to be handled. Not saying winning by 50 justifies that but if kids don’t want to work then they shouldn’t be handed success

You clearly have no understanding of how much better 4A is compared to 2A. Boyden Hull is the 1 seed and they lost by 10 to south obrien who just got molly whopped in a 1A substate final. 1-2A is comparable but not 2-4A. There are a few 4A teams that are atrocious, but would still go 500 or better in 1A/2A conferences. And I’m saying this as a fan of the smaller classes. It’s just a fact
I’m tired of people like you calling kids that put in the work to be successful classless. If you want to be successful in anything you do, sports or your occupation you have to put in the work if you want great results. If you don’t want to put in the work than you deserve to be handled accordingly. There are no short cuts to success so teams either need to work harder or continue to be handled. Not saying winning by 50 justifies that but if kids don’t want to work then they shouldn’t be handed success
A bad team is flat out a bad team regardless of class. It all depends on year. 2018 GVC and NL could have competed in any class both teams had two players that would’ve been all staters in any class. Don’t justify a bad season because they are “a big school”. All kids play AAU and they all play at different levels. Bad 4a teams wouldn’t beat good 1a teams!

Guys, the seeding is done by the coaches.. It is a much better system than what was in place previously. This yrs teams are extremely difficult to seed...Majority of the coaches had it seeded the same... There were a couple of out liers,as well. One could argue it is even from top to bottom.... Is anybody really excited about playing Woodward Granger or Pella Christian , in the first round? I don’t really want to play anybodyIf you think otherwise, you are only here to stir the pot.... Which seems to happen every year at this time... When teams don’t play common opponents or the same classes , there is no exact science to seeding... In NL’s defense, you just don’t jump conferences. They will be bumped back down to 1a. I know for a fact , they have tried to schedule up a class or two the last few yrs........ Teams are reluctant to play down a class , especially if there is a chance they could lose.... They have absolutely nothing to gain.... They used to play a team that is in the tournament......They will no longer play NL..... I know NL has scrimmaged the likes of Ic West, Cascade, and CPU in the past..... All very competitive scrimmages.... It’s just not as simple as scheduling a bigger school to play. I think the majority of “true” fans understand that.... When it comes to state, it’s all about matchups and who can get on a roll... I remember a Cascade team, two yrs ago.. Not many picked them to win it... But win it they sure did..... Played extremely well together at state. A pure joy to watch. At least I don’t have to read Grandview bashing this yr...That was getting old as well

Reactions: iowalongs230
Guys, the seeding is done by the coaches.. It is a much better system than what was in place previously. This yrs teams are extremely difficult to seed...Majority of the coaches had it seeded the same... There were a couple of out liers,as well. One could argue it is even from top to bottom.... Is anybody really excited about playing Woodward Granger or Pella Christian , in the first round? I don’t really want to play anybodyIf you think otherwise, you are only here to stir the pot.... Which seems to happen every year at this time... When teams don’t play common opponents or the same classes , there is no exact science to seeding... In NL’s defense, you just don’t jump conferences. They will be bumped back down to 1a. I know for a fact , they have tried to schedule up a class or two the last few yrs........ Teams are reluctant to play down a class , especially if there is a chance they could lose.... They have absolutely nothing to gain.... They used to play a team that is in the tournament......They will no longer play NL..... I know NL has scrimmaged the likes of Ic West, Cascade, and CPU in the past..... All very competitive scrimmages.... It’s just not as simple as scheduling a bigger school to play. I think the majority of “true” fans understand that.... When it comes to state, it’s all about matchups and who can get on a roll... I remember a Cascade team, two yrs ago.. Not many picked them to win it... But win it they sure did..... Played extremely well together at state. A pure joy to watch. At least I don’t have to read Grandview bashing this yr...That was getting old as well

Agree on the fact seeding this year is a toss up. Like 2A, everyone in 1A has about the same record. At the end of the day you have to beat great teams to win it all.

BUT, i'm always down for a good GVC bashing.......

Agree on the fact seeding this year is a toss up. Like 2A, everyone in 1A has about the same record. At the end of the day you have to beat great teams to win it all.

BUT, i'm always down for a good GVC bashing.......
100% agreed. GVC is not at all a good representative of 1A basketball or private schools. Makes everyone look bad. And as far as the North Linn bashing goes, I only ever saw it 2 years ago when they were beating teams by 60 ppg. And in the defense of the people who were upset, they proved that NL was playing starters in the 4th quarter while being up 50 points which may border what is ok and what isn’t. Personally I don’t care at all. They put in the work and should not have to back off because your kid sucks. But I can definitely see maybe where it got a little out of hand. Also GVC scheduled numerous larger schools in the past 2 years. They were better then NL and scheduled Iowa City West and Sioux City West last year. So no, 4A schools are not afraid to play top 1/2A schools

100% agreed. GVC is not at all a good representative of 1A basketball or private schools. Makes everyone look bad. And as far as the North Linn bashing goes, I only ever saw it 2 years ago when they were beating teams by 60 ppg. And in the defense of the people who were upset, they proved that NL was playing starters in the 4th quarter while being up 50 points which may border what is ok and what isn’t. Personally I don’t care at all. They put in the work and should not have to back off because your kid sucks. But I can definitely see maybe where it got a little out of hand. Also GVC scheduled numerous larger schools in the past 2 years. They were better then NL and scheduled Iowa City West and Sioux City West last year. So no, 4A schools are not afraid to play top 1/2A schools

You’re correct, Grandview did persuade Iowa City West and Souix City West to play them. Kudos to them. I can tell you, NL has tried to schedule 3 very good teams that are above them. They declined. I would be surprised if they haven’t approached others..... I will say, I don’t see them traveling more than 1 1/2 to play somebody. Not withstanding State of course... Point is, it is not near as easy to schedule up as some may make it appear..... We haven’t even talked about open dates that are even available depending on conference obligations... Most posters get this... Anyhow, I don’t see it changing much..... Especially when they move back down to 1a...... As of right now it looks likes they have 2 open games, Hudson was one and guessing Midland was the other... So drop Midland, I guess... They need to drop the East Side, I know that isn’t an option.....

As far as the posts from past yrs with the scores..... I get it..... I have seen them play numerous times..... The pace they try to play is very fast. Now, combine that with subpar teams or teams that are not deep..... Yeah, things get out of hand quickly. Now could you walk the ball up the court, drop back into a 2-3 zone and make 10 passes each possession, yes you could.. But when it involves 10 games or more, I really have no answer as to what to do... Games are already shortened tremendously with continuous clock... NL is not the only team with big margins this yr......... I’m afraid this would be one mark against a shot clock ... I have no good answer. I will say the conference will be more competitive next yr as far as the top 4 teams go.. I don’t see the lower tier teams improving much though... Just low numbers... A trend in sports in general, unfortunately.

Looking forward to boys Tournament, in general... Some intriguing matchups for sure.. In the end, what we think on a message board , doesn’t win or lose basketball games..... I’m just thankful to be 6’ above ground to be able to enjoy these games... and looks like we can even watch it this yr!

You’re correct, Grandview did persuade Iowa City West and Souix City West to play them. Kudos to them. I can tell you, NL has tried to schedule 3 very good teams that are above them. They declined. I would be surprised if they haven’t approached others..... I will say, I don’t see them traveling more than 1 1/2 to play somebody. Not withstanding State of course... Point is, it is not near as easy to schedule up as some may make it appear..... We haven’t even talked about open dates that are even available depending on conference obligations... Most posters get this... Anyhow, I don’t see it changing much..... Especially when they move back down to 1a...... As of right now it looks likes they have 2 open games, Hudson was one and guessing Midland was the other... So drop Midland, I guess... They need to drop the East Side, I know that isn’t an option.....

As far as the posts from past yrs with the scores..... I get it..... I have seen them play numerous times..... The pace they try to play is very fast. Now, combine that with subpar teams or teams that are not deep..... Yeah, things get out of hand quickly. Now could you walk the ball up the court, drop back into a 2-3 zone and make 10 passes each possession, yes you could.. But when it involves 10 games or more, I really have no answer as to what to do... Games are already shortened tremendously with continuous clock... NL is not the only team with big margins this yr......... I’m afraid this would be one mark against a shot clock ... I have no good answer. I will say the conference will be more competitive next yr as far as the top 4 teams go.. I don’t see the lower tier teams improving much though... Just low numbers... A trend in sports in general, unfortunately.

Looking forward to boys Tournament, in general... Some intriguing matchups for sure.. In the end, what we think on a message board , doesn’t win or lose basketball games..... I’m just thankful to be 6’ above ground to be able to enjoy these games... and looks like we can even watch it this yr!
NL has earned every success they have attained. Those kids clearly worked extremely hard the past several years, and by all accounts, are "good" kids. But, they DO play a 1A schedule, which is why people tend to take their stats with a grain of salt and they're probably over-seeded as a 3 even. Their resume isn't nearly as strong as a Treynor, West Sioux even, Camanche, etc. But, that's all largely irrelevant as it's a pretty stacked 2A field again.

But, as far as the schedule goes, North Linn dropped Cascade (as in, didn't fulfill a contract I believe) to add Midland, whereas Monticello dropped Midland to add CR-Wash. (who may not be a top-shelf 4A, but Monti. had a starter hurt, and CR-W still won 4 Valley games and would almost certainly go undefeated in the Tri-Rivers). NL can play who they want, but that's not a good look when they could have played a decent, relatively local 2A team (that NL probably beats anyway, but not by running clock).

North Linn plays in an all 1A conference because they have always been 1A up until last year. And now they will head back to 1A next season.

So it sounds like North Linn refused to play Cascade and Monticello dropped North Linn? Probably a bad move by each but both are still in the state tourney so it seems to have worked out. No idea on their scheduling, but some posters seem to be in the know.

NL has earned every success they have attained. Those kids clearly worked extremely hard the past several years, and by all accounts, are "good" kids. But, they DO play a 1A schedule, which is why people tend to take their stats with a grain of salt and they're probably over-seeded as a 3 even. Their resume isn't nearly as strong as a Treynor, West Sioux even, Camanche, etc. But, that's all largely irrelevant as it's a pretty stacked 2A field again.

But, as far as the schedule goes, North Linn dropped Cascade (as in, didn't fulfill a contract I believe) to add Midland, whereas Monticello dropped Midland to add CR-Wash. (who may not be a top-shelf 4A, but Monti. had a starter hurt, and CR-W still won 4 Valley games and would almost certainly go undefeated in the Tri-Rivers). NL can play who they want, but that's not a good look when they could have played a decent, relatively local 2A team (that NL probably beats anyway, but not by running clock).
Monticello plays Maq Valley every year and dropped North Linn for Midland last year...I know Hilmer and he wants to play tough opponents but sometimes scheduling around both teams conference games is harder than everyone thinks.

I don’t see a problem with North Linn schedule. Rebuttle is right, North Linn will once again be a 1A team playing in a 1A conference next year. I think a lot of people though are sick of them putting up gaudy stats against the likes of Starmont and Midland. It can really inflate your stats and it makes it extremely difficult for the rest of the state to gauge how good they are

Have you seen Wash play? They would not go undefeated in the Tri Rivers... Monti played a very bad MV team. NL would have been an excellent fit here? How sure are you of the Cascade “deal”? Per quick stats NL and Cascade haven’t played since 2012.... when they were in the same conference..... Monti and NL continued to play with Monti dominating til 16-17,17-18.... NL turned the tables.... They haven’t played since... NL must have been afraid to play up.... This is the crap on message boards that drives me nuts...... You can’t make this up... Quik stats is right there..... Now, do I know why they no longer play, not 100%... But I do know, it makes absolutely no sense for NL to quit Playing a 2a school. Especially a good one that borders their district.. Not there choice...imo.

Water under the bridge..... The kids from these schools could care less. Some of which will go on to college and become life long friends.... It’s us have beens and wanna bes that have the issues. Enjoy the day

North Linn plays in an all 1A conference because they have always been 1A up until last year. And now they will head back to 1A next season.

So it sounds like North Linn refused to play Cascade and Monticello dropped North Linn? Probably a bad move by each but both are still in the state tourney so it seems to have worked out. No idea on their scheduling, but some posters seem to be in the know.

North Linn was routinely 2A for several years up until the past 8-9 years I believe. They will probably always fluctuate.

North Linn dropped Cascade in order to pick up Midland, a relatively weak 1A team on the other side of their league. Monticello dropped that same Midland in order to pick up a 4A Cedar Rapids-Washington team.

Have you seen Wash play? They would not go undefeated in the Tri Rivers... Monti played a very bad MV team. NL would have been an excellent fit here? How sure are you of the Cascade “deal”? Per quick stats NL and Cascade haven’t played since 2012.... when they were in the same conference..... Monti and NL continued to play with Monti dominating til 16-17,17-18.... NL turned the tables.... They haven’t played since... NL must have been afraid to play up.... This is the crap on message boards that drives me nuts...... You can’t make this up... Quik stats is right there..... Now, do I know why they no longer play, not 100%... But I do know, it makes absolutely no sense for NL to quit Playing a 2a school. Especially a good one that borders their district.. Not there choice...imo.

Water under the bridge..... The kids from these schools could care less. Some of which will go on to college and become life long friends.... It’s us have beens and wanna bes that have the issues. Enjoy the day

NL and Cascade had a 2-year deal starting in 2018-2019 (their girls have played for several years). That game got snowed out and was beyond anyone's control. The return game was scheduled to be this year and NL backed out of it for whatever reason and added Midland.

Monticello, like Cascade, is in the RVC, which added Anamosa after the 2018 season, forcing a 19 game conference schedule (again, unlike the Tri-Rivers, RVC teams play everyone every year: their own side twice and other side once), an increase from 17, thus RVC teams had to drop 2 non-conference games starting in 2018-2019, hence Monti. kept Maq Valley (a 20-mile away local, historic rivalry, and a team much better than Midland) and have had a different second team the past two years. Essentially every RVC team had to drop long-standing non-conference games to accommodate the new schedule. My guess is that Monti-NL game was a by-product of that more than anything.

I don’t see a problem with North Linn schedule. Rebuttle is right, North Linn will once again be a 1A team playing in a 1A conference next year. I think a lot of people though are sick of them putting up gaudy stats against the likes of Starmont and Midland. It can really inflate your stats and it makes it extremely difficult for the rest of the state to gauge how good they are

I get the stat thing. I have never been a stats guy. To each his own. Nobody has ever asked me about my stats in high school... Most people could care less. It does make it difficult to gage but does it really matter? In a month, nobody cares about state basketball. Bottom line, I believe they are top 8 as well as the other teams at state this yr.. All things cycle including basketball... We are really splitting hairs when it comes to seeding them... There is no easy path when it comes to state... It will play out next week.... I for one, will be rooting for All eastern Iowa teams as I always have....

Reactions: SicIturAdAstra
And...... They kept Midland instead of NL... Again it is available on quik stats.... Tri Rivers plays same schedule as RVC. All teams on there side twice and rotate teams played on other side which leaves 2 open games.... So it is not unlike the Tri Rivers.... It is 27 miles from Monti to NL, per mapquest.. I understand playing MV as a rivalry game but to say they are much better than Midland is a stretch, imo... I do remember hearing the Cascade NL scheduling for this yr.. I do not remember the exact circumstances, I find it hard to believe NL drops Cascade for Midland just to beat the crap out of somebody... Makes no sense... There has to be more to the story.... I shall find out..... My guess, purely a scheduling issue..

Maybe we are both wrong and the coaches just don’t wanna play anymore... Guess we will never truly know.... Good luck to the Cascade & North Linn girls today.... Nobody better than Coach Sconsa[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Reactions: SicIturAdAstra
And...... They kept Midland instead of NL... Again it is available on quik stats.... Tri Rivers plays same schedule as RVC. All teams on there side twice and rotate teams played on other side which leaves 2 open games.... So it is not unlike the Tri Rivers.... It is 27 miles from Monti to NL, per mapquest.. I understand playing MV as a rivalry game but to say they are much better than Midland is a stretch, imo... I do remember hearing the Cascade NL scheduling for this yr.. I do not remember the exact circumstances, I find it hard to believe NL drops Cascade for Midland just to beat the crap out of somebody... Makes no sense... There has to be more to the story.... I shall find out..... My guess, purely a scheduling issue..

Maybe we are both wrong and the coaches just don’t wanna play anymore... Guess we will never truly know.... Good luck to the Cascade & North Linn girls today.... Nobody better than Coach Sconsa
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, at the end of the day, our old-fart opinions are irrelevant (though the Cascade-NL issue was simply NL dropped out of the game for Midland, maybe as a favor to a conference team. Cascade wanted a girl-boy double header as their girls still played).

But, the Tri-Rivers and RVC schedules are entirely, fundamentally different. Every RVC team plays every RVC team every year and all games count towards the Conference race. Camanche was 18-1 in the conference for example, and all those games, not just same side, count towards the title. Their cross-over at Mid-Prairie is the same as a game at Monti. or Gooselake. Not all Tri-Rivers teams play each other. Easton Valley and NL haven't played in at least two years; coincidentally, or not, they've both been good both years. Their cross-over games also do not count towards the conference title. It's why they play conference teams as non-conference games basically.

North Linn has done the things to get to state. They made it through their substate and won every game in front of them. The top 7 coaches ranked them how they saw them. They can schedule whoever they like and play in whatever conference they choose. They can run the score up on these bad programs. They also must accept that this is how coaches will seed them. They have been good the last four years but that doesn't mean they get the 1 seed. They lost 4 starters from last years team. This is a different team. Hilmer can run the score up on anyone. (I personally think it is disrespectful to the game) but that is why they keep score. He is going to make coaches upset and that is who seeds the tournament. I see a lot of people bashing the tri-rviers. The tri-rivers is a 1a conference besides North Linn. It is probably the only conference in that state made up of only 1A schools so obviously it will be weaker. They have produced state qualifiers numerous times in the past how many years though. Ed-Co, EV, Springville, Alburnett, North Linn and Prince of Peace have all been in the state tournament recently. Some of the teams are bad. Duh, every conference has bad teams in it every year. Show me one that doesn't. The RVC had Wilton, Durant & Tipton.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT