ADVERTISEMENT

1A, 2A, 4A--Wed. March 6 Scores and Comments

EastIowaHawk

All District
Jan 6, 2008
Absolutely great basketball so far. 4A finishing up first round, and on to the semis for 1A, 2A. I'm just hoping I can get the semis on my Mediacom, and I have to work during the quarterfinal Iowa City West, Senior game, and I can't use a radio. Arrgh. Semis can be the upset round, so we'll see. Post your comments below.

Real barn burner in the first 4A semi-final... 16-14 at halftime, Dowling over Waukee.

Dub. Senior beats IC West 39-36. West had a real good look at a three to tie it right at the end but it hits front rim. Foul trouble really hurt West with Morgan and Brauns both having to sit for chunks of the game.

Dub. Senior beats IC West 39-36. West had a real good look at a three to tie it right at the end but it hits front rim. Foul trouble really hurt West with Morgan and Brauns both having to sit for chunks of the game.
Time for a shot clock. Those scores are embarrassing to Iowa basketball. But IHSAA knows better they are the best in the business, just ask them.
Btw, why wasn't DS fouling. Awfully good look after the McCaffery air ball.

Time for a shot clock. Those scores are embarrassing to Iowa basketball. But IHSAA knows better they are the best in the business, just ask them.
Btw, why wasn't DS fouling. Awfully good look after the McCaffery air ball.
Shhh you can't make schools pay for both the shot clock and people to use it. It will be too hard for people in small towns.

Reactions: S.E.iowahardwood
Montezuma up 15-12 after 1. Shooting well again and getting good looks as GVC is focusing their defense on stopping Shearer. If Montezuma keeps shooting like this they might have to adjust their strategy.

Montezuma also doing a good job on the defensive end. They are taking away GVC's inside game and making them shoot 3's which they are 0-8 shooting.

It is seriously a joke on how they are 1A...they are the type of school that gives people a reason to hate private schools

GVC just dominates the second half en route to a. 59-36 win. The game really changed once they pulled out of that zone and went man to man. Samake one block short of a triple double. They play like they did that 2nd half no one in 1A can touch them. They sure seem to be having fun dunking on these small town kids.

This is the worst semi-final game I've ever seen between St. Mary and Alburnet. What happened to 1A basketball? The past 5 or 6 years has been a competitive tourney, this year has been awful.

Shoutout to DM Christian for making a great post-season run, was glad to see them make it down to state. Sucked they got a bad draw in the first round but great season Lions!

This is the worst semi-final game I've ever seen between St. Mary and Alburnet. What happened to 1A basketball? The past 5 or 6 years has been a competitive tourney, this year has been awful.

Shoutout to DM Christian for making a great post-season run, was glad to see them make it down to state. Sucked they got a bad draw in the first round but great season Lions!
From what I know about their record and competition, this Remsen St Mary’s team is just average. They knew how to game plan against South OBrien in substate having played them twice before. South OBrien did the hard work for them by defeating George Little Rock.

I agree the field is just down this year.

GVC just dominates the second half en route to a. 59-36 win. The game really changed once they pulled out of that zone and went man to man. Samake one block short of a triple double. They play like they did that 2nd half no one in 1A can touch them. They sure seem to be having fun dunking on these small town kids.

Yeah, the first half they played zone with a man on Shearer, and Montezuma killed them on hot 3 shooting. 2nd half was tight man with one of the bigs dropping back, it was all she wrote. I think Montezuma only scored 2 in the 3rd.
You have to admit the dunks were pretty sweet.

Where are you sitting at in here?

Last edited:
Game ends with a kid jumping up and grabbing a rebound over someone else. St Mary’s wanted the over the back call but I don’t think it was he just got out jumped. Alburnett advances

Where are you sitting at in here?
Unfortunately, I am no longer in the building. It is Ash Wednesday and church takes priority. Be back tomorrow though. Got home in time to catch the end of the Alb. - St. Marys game. Judging by the score doesn't look like I missed much, but what a finish! Alburnett wins another one with a shot in the final seconds, this time even more dramatically. March madness baby!

And the dunks were very sweet. Don't get me wrong, if I could dunk on small town kids, or anybody, I'd be enjoying it too.

Reactions: mylameusername
Game ends with a kid jumping up and grabbing a rebound over someone else. St Mary’s wanted the over the back call but I don’t think it was he just got out jumped. Alburnett advances

Only complaint they could have had was a time out being granted with under a second to go

What was odd is that a ref blew the whistle and ran towards the few pointing to a kid that called for one but seconds later was running off the court with the other two refs

I agree with the comments on GVC, but some of these other small private schools can have a good team once in a while, can't they? It's not like RSM is this perennial powerhouse. I can't remember them ever having a great team.

I agree with the comments on GVC, but some of these other small private schools can have a good team once in a while, can't they? It's not like RSM is this perennial powerhouse. I can't remember them ever having a great team.
Your memory sucks then...they were at the state tournament about 364 days ago.

RSM has been at state the last 3 years -- so obviously, they must be 'cruitin. :)

If memory serves they've been knocked out in the semi's all 3 years.

North Linn with the lead at the half 30-21. I thought Van Meter was handling North Linn's pressure pretty well for most of the half but they are so relentless attacking the ball on defense they still caused some turnovers and easy points. North Linn also hitting some deeep 3's. I think Van Meter has a chance though. Schmitt's size has caused some problems for North Linn on both sides of the ball.

Great back and forth game in the first 2A semifinal between South Hamilton and BH. Hill was impressive, but BH had just enough to get it done. By far the best game of the day, and the best paced game. Siouxland conference will have a representative in the title game. Will be interesting that if North Linn gets it done, both championship teams will have moved up from 1A.

“Don’t penalize him for being too quick, that was a horrible foul”

Technical on father Hilmer. I’m across the whole stadium and it was as clear as day.

36-35 NL. The momentum has shifted

I may has substituted terrible for horrible but that’s what he said. I think it was based on the pure volume of his yelling since the refs were all on the other end.

North Linn wins 54-47. Van Meter was able to slow it down and force North Linn to play their style of game but North Linn still finds a way to win it. They, and especially Hilmer, just made the plays needed to win the game. Some huge steals down the stretch. Should be a really good championship game against Boyden-Hull, they match up well.

Pretty interesting that they were both playing in 1A last season. Just think how loaded that field would have been this year if they both didn't move up a class.

Lol at Grandpa Hillmer running up his 'win' record as a co-coach.
He's even older than I thought. What a joke. Padding stats seems to run in the family.
Exactly!
What a pathetic ego-driven move!

The Hilmers will need to have an asterisk by their name in the record books:

*My son propped me up on the bench for 15 years to pad my win total.

**My dad kept me in the game when we were up by 90.

Would be interesting to see the stats broken down to see if they are padded or how much. Steals, points, assists in 2nd half of games when up 25 or more, same when up 35 plus at any time. Would put a lot of this to rest.

Reactions: StatewidePundit
Would be interesting to see the stats broken down to see if they are padded or how much. Steals, points, assists in 2nd half of games when up 25 or more, same when up 35 plus at any time. Would put a lot of this to rest.

http://www.quikstatsiowa.com/Public...DSportSeason=h201810230314081906ad20f6d1a2c4b

Looks like for the season, NL has scored over 50% less in the 4th quarter compared to the first. To those of us who have actually seen them play throughout the years, this is no surprise. I have seen games where Hilmer has 25 plus at half and then sits half the 3rd and all the 4th. But nevermind those facts, when the "pad the stats" jealousy gets going.

http://www.quikstatsiowa.com/Public...DSportSeason=h201810230314081906ad20f6d1a2c4b

Looks like for the season, NL has scored over 50% less in the 4th quarter compared to the first. To those of us who have actually seen them play throughout the years, this is no surprise. I have seen games where Hilmer has 25 plus at half and then sits half the 3rd and all the 4th. But nevermind those facts, when the "pad the stats" jealousy gets going.
Ya we all wish we could be forgotten at Upper Iowa.

“Don’t penalize him for being too quick, that was a horrible foul”

Technical on father Hilmer. I’m across the whole stadium and it was as clear as day.

36-35 NL. The momentum has shifted
This grandstander should had been T'd earlier for throwing a 'look at me i'm big time here at North Linn' fit over a call. Tell him to sit down and pad the stats during the game rather than after. What a joke. Hope Mr. Big Time Coach has the guts to apply for the Iowa City job. Or maybe beating those powers Starmont and Springville is more important. Maybe he will retire to watch Upper Iowa games like the rest of the nation.

I may give you your above comment, but don't try to tell me that what happened in the quarterfinal game against DMC isn't somewhat common too. He was still in that game with under 2 minutes to play, up more than 20 points, and still jacking up shots....

Pick any regular season game and take a look, Hillmer with 10+ assists.
Pick any playoff game with more eyes on the game and he’s got half the assists, if that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT