ADVERTISEMENT

102 point cry babies...

maxstabs13

All District
Aug 20, 2005
1 probably all of you were not at the game. I myself wasn't but have friends from DB that were in attendance and they said the DB coaches played kids in positions they have never played before in an effort to not run it up...

They have about 45 players on the roster...
It was 46-6 at the end of the 1st Quarter...
They threw 1 pass ALL GAME AND IT WAS INCOMPLETE
Star QB Svoboda had all 4 TD's with 3 in the first quarter and 1 the first drive 2nd quarter... on 5 CARRIES!
1 KO Return for a 73 yard TD in the first quarter
2 Punt Returns 1 of them for a 39 yard TD in the first quarter
4 INT's and 1 Returned for a TD in the second quarter
25+ Different players played on defense because 24 different had a tackle and 1 who had no tackles had 3 INT's
11 Different players ran the ball... 4 Freshman, 2 Sophomore, 2 Junior, 2 Senior
They ran only 21 offensive plays all game
8 of 20 carries in the game were by the 4 Different freshman.
Star JR RB Brady Thome did not get a single carry in the game.

Maybe they should have just kneeled the ball after being up 46-6 in the first quarter...

I am sorry if you are all to sensitive to take a beating and learn from it, but as a opposing coach I would want our kids to not give up and put forth the best effort they could and not have the other team kneel out the entire game. Those things are teaching moments regardless of the score you can learn something from everything. All you learn from forfeiting or letting a team kneel out the game is you can give up and no one will care. Hate to be political, but this is a huge problem in society today.
This post was edited on 10/26 11:10 PM by maxstabs13

Just because Don Bosco broke 100 points makes them heartless...
Other scores in 8-man this year...
94-7
94-14
70-0
74-0
79-6
82-24
75-12
70-6
80-6
74-0

Essex best game they had 52 points scored on them...
CAL Latimer had 60+ scored on them in all but 1 game.
79-6 HLV over Tri County...

I forgot it is so much worse to get beat by 90 instead of 70 or 80...

I'll start by saying it's a good problem for DB have when they're that good. From looking at the stats they had a lot of things go right for them, mostly because they put themselves in a position for good things to happen. Hindsight is 20/20, but I believe they could've handled things differently to at least keep it double digits. I think the coaches did try to limit it while still putting out their best effort from the kids. The team up 50 should not be kneeling or punting on third downs.

They easily could have worked the ball to about the 10-15 yard line in the center of the field and set up a field goal on 4th down. Something that may be critical down the road and it still makes the team better. They easily could have made a make-shift PAT team at the half if they didn't have one in place already and went for 1's instead of 2's the entire second half. They probably will stick to 2's because of their talent level in the playoffs, but it's still a lot of fun for the kids getting to kick in a meaningless game. Maybe they find a surprise talent in the process.

I'm not against most of what you say Max, just IMO they could have eased it enough to keep it less than 100.

Originally posted by maxstabs13:

1 probably all of you were not at the game. I myself wasn't but have friends from DB that were in attendance and they said the DB coaches played kids in positions they have never played before in an effort to not run it up...

Star QB Svoboda had all 4 TD's with 3 in the first quarter and 1 the first drive 2nd quarter... on 5 CARRIES!
25+ Different players played on defense because 24 different had a tackle and 1 who had no tackles had 3 INT's
11 Different players ran the ball... 4 Freshman, 2 Sophomore, 2 Junior, 2 Senior

Maybe they should have just kneeled the ball after being up 46-6 in the first quarter...

I am sorry if you are all to sensitive to take a beating and learn from it, but as a opposing coach I would want our kids to not give up and put forth the best effort they could and not have the other team kneel out the entire game. Those things are teaching moments regardless of the score you can learn something from everything. All you learn from forfeiting or letting a team kneel out the game is you can give up and no one will care. Hate to be political, but this is a huge problem in society today.
Hey now. You're not suppose to defend Don Bosco, max. If you do, then that makes you a bad person............

Originally posted by DarkThunder#61:

Originally posted by maxstabs13:

Hey now. You're not suppose to defend Don Bosco, max. If you do, then that makes you a bad person............

Someone has to be the bad guy... Usually it is the one with the most intelligence, wit, and power...

the amount of participation has nothing to do with your class its because 45 kids is half are school that's why 8 man.

There are currently 9 schools who "qualify for 8 man" that play 11 man, just because you qualify for 8 man does mean you have to, especially when you can comfortably field a Varsity and JV 11 man team.

By playing at the 8 man level it gives them the best opportunity to compete for a championship. I just don't understand how you can score so much with a running clock. I think some of the emphasis need to be on Tri-C to make some stops. From quick stats it looks like DB ran about 20 plays. I think maybe they could have done some things to take time but the other team has to make a stop at some point. At what point does the weaker team just need to call the game? What was learned by either team after half time?

So, you should go by the number you have out for football to determine your class? For example if Carlisle has 80 kids out, enough to easily field a 9th, 10th, JV, Varsity, should they move up to 4A? If you meet the requirements to play in 8 player no one should question why you are there. If you don't like that they have 45 players out, quit complaining and figure out a way to get more players out for your school.

Along those same lines, a couple of years ago East Waterloo had about 20 players out for football. Should they, then, be playing 8-man?

8-man football was started in Iowa to give small schools a chance when they simply did
not have enough kids for 11-man football.
I simply do not understand why any school would choose to play 8-man football when
they have 45 kids on their squad. 11-man football is a much, much better game in my opinion.

The 45 kids on a 8 man roster could be very skewed. You might go to a game and see 45 kids but how many have a legit chance and reason to step on a varsity field on friday nights? at best maybe 12-16? The others might just be out to be a part of the program and experience winning. This is more so the case at smaller schools where you go to games and see a team with huge numbers but they might only have a select group of kids who could actually step on the field and compete on a varsity level.

Ok so TCT's BEDS number is at 54 and they have 20 guys on their roster. I'm thinking that's a pretty damn good turn out, so you can't really tell these schools to figure out a way to get more players out. Obviously, when you have 105+ students as opposed to 54, your chances of having a better football team is very high. TCT barely has enough to scrimmage in practice. Don Bosco could have two separate scrimmages going on and still have players on the sidelines,

The rules allow teams to play either 8 man or 11 man and if given the choice, everyone who thinks they can win a championship will choose that level. From my experience not many teams have chosen to play up at a more difficult level just to get better games. In fact the majority of people consider that a punishment to the kids to suggest playing at a more competitive level. So if given the chance to have a perennial team in the playoffs and fighting for a championship every year or getting stiffer competition. What would you choose?

high90school - I agree with your statement. One question I have is that if that is the case, did DB play any curtain raisers? I know that not many of the teams on their schedule had enough, but I'd have to believe there were some.

What people here are forgetting is bosco has ridiculous participation level (upwards of 90%), so when saying "they have as many on their roster as most A teams", you are not comparing apples to apples. If you were, many A rosters would have 60+. Bosco is still drawing from a smaller pool.

I think DB beds is 105, 35 per class average, 140 total /2 = 70 boys. 45/70 is 64%.

TCT beds is 54, I think there are 14 total seniors, so total HS enrollment is 68, /2 = 34 boys, 20 on the rooster 2 seniors due to previous injuries can't play, one goes to every game and is on the side line but isn't on the rooster. 21 on the team, 62%. One more player and TCT would be at 65%.

This post was edited on 10/27 4:37 PM by roosterk

This post was edited on 10/27 4:47 PM by roosterk

Rooster I'm not following you. By your calculations both schools have similar participation numbers as a percentage of enrollment.
Both schools are within the states guidelines to play 8 player football.

So you're upset because......

The last two scores the ball was handed to freshman ball carriers that weigh $1.20 soaking wet. The O-line was made up some of the very smallest lineman on the roster and your varsity failed to make 2 stops.

Even if Bosco has 85 kids on the sideline, 8 freshman were on the field.

We all feel bad for the outcome. Trust me on this, Bosco could have scored over 100 several times over the last few yrs. The coaches coached to avoid it and were able to accomplish the goal of not letting it get out of control successfully in all but one game.

They began pulling starters after 5 offensive plays. I think they may have continued to score with cheerleaders in the game.

I mean it was horrible. No fun for anyone involved

This post was edited on 10/27 7:28 PM by BoscoFan4Life

You can't go off of participation numbers. For one thing, that's far too unpredictable to use as a regulatory measure. But mostly, having a program that's good enough that you get outstanding participation from your student body shouldn't be penalized. It should be celebrated.

Some teams qualify for 8-man and choose to play in Class A. That's their choice, and there's nothing wrong with it. But that doesn't mean teams with larger rosters should be expected to play up, or that they're cheating in some way by choosing not to do so.

I was just trying to point out that DB %'s quoted at 90% by the poster above was way off.

TCT started with 20 players, one a Foriegn Exchange student, 2 seniors 4 juniors including that FE student and he's more into BB so we didn't even get a kicker out of it.

Just trying to get the number straight. The schools participation rates are actually pretty close.

"I think they may have continued to score with cheerleaders in the game." What a typical thing for a DB supporter to say. Ignorance at its best. No wonder why so many people love to hate you.

I've heard opponents make comments that TCT needs to get some of the Cheerleaders on the FB team, 12 of them on the sideline are more than # of players on the side line. One of them is mine to so I'd rather her stay over there.

Rooster, I apologize if you thought I meant TCT's cheerleaders should play. I was saying I'm afraid Bosco would have continued to score if they would have put our girls in the game. I didn't mean TCT should put theirs in. Bosco was at the end of the roster and they were still scoring at will. Our cheerleaders may have gotten the result the coaches were after.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Originally posted by roosterk:
I was just trying to point out that DB %'s quoted at 90% by the poster above was way off.

TCT started with 20 players, one a Foriegn Exchange student, 2 seniors 4 juniors including that FE student and he's more into BB so we didn't even get a kicker out of it.

Just trying to get the number straight. The schools participation rates are actually pretty close.
Do you have the breakdown of male/female population at DB right now? No where did anyone say it was a 50/50 split, so unless you have the current yearbook, you have no idea if your math was even close.

Originally posted by Hawkeye2010:
"I think they may have continued to score with cheerleaders in the game." What a typical thing for a DB supporter to say. Ignorance at its best. No wonder why so many people love to hate you.
Do you know what the definition of ignorance is?

My oldest girl played in JH, without her they wouldn't have finished the season, she played every play IIRC O & D, fullback and outside line backer, she wanted to play HS and I said no way.

No problem with a cheerleader joke(other daughers a flyer), didn't think twice about it. While I was on the side line watching, like I said ealier, I checked the roster once during the 3rd quarter, DB had a senior, a junior and a freshman in the O backfield. Near the end of the game someone else on the sideline mention the size of the DB D line and they were quite large. TCT never got everyone one in as usually happens even in the worst of game, well I guess this was the worst. When on the loosing side of these game the victors need to step down to allow the looser to get everyone it. I didn't see that happen, maybe DB has a different philosophy, but that how it works with most all of the other games I've watched.

I guess DB's bottom 8 must just that much better than TCT top 8.

Just did a quick review of class A current top 10 via bcmoore power ranking, average roster 42 I think DB would do fine moving up and with 3 more kids geting alot playing time, I can only think of one reason not to.

This post was edited on 10/27 9:58 PM by roosterk

Nope, just assumed 50/50 I do know TCT is 2-3 boys higher than that but 50/50 is just easier. I also don't know DB senior class size, I averaged it out, cold be 50 or all the way down to 13 as I think that's how many senior boys are on the roster. Hopping the a law of averages would cancel each other out.

The DB to TCT comparision really wasn't the point, it was to point out the false 90% particicpation quoted for DB. I think both schools are doing good in the 60's, with TCT lower numbers every player is a bigger %.

Rooster, if you have a problem with DB playing 8-man, then petition the state to change the rules. DB is playing by the same enrollment rules as everyone else so quit your whining.

So why does DB want 37 kids on the side line watching a varsity game. If you moved up to traditional 11 player football you'd have 144 minutes more playing time every varsity game to spread among those 20 something juniors and seniors. 120 minutes more playing time weekly for the JV players.

Please explain it to me I don't understand.
This post was edited on 10/27 10:25 PM by roosterk

Rooster I to was at the game and I to watched the roster closely.

The seniors and juniors rotating in during the 3rd qtr were non letter winners. In fact, no letter winners, or returning
letter winners played 2nd half. I'm sure those kids wished it had been a better game. They wouldn't have had to yield
to kids who have 3 more years to play.

The only chance they ever get to play on Fridays is in situations like these. Our coaches do not play seniors on JV. So as of that 3rd qtr, their career is finished as a player.

Don Bosco plays a full JV schedule where most of the " standers on the sideline " get their reps. Coach Yoder dresses every kid in the program every Friday night. Good thing he did last Friday.

Our program is solid in it's approach. I think the participation speaks for that. It's working. Our parents aren't complaining, and our kids aren't whining. I'd say those are good signs.

Only a few years ago we wondered if football at DB was going to survive. We didn't even have a home field to play on.

This post was edited on 10/27 10:40 PM by BoscoFan4Life

This post was edited on 10/27 11:33 PM by BoscoFan4Life

They have low enrollment numbers and worse projections, they've had great success in 8-man, their "stadium" is set-up for 8-man, and there is no motivation to move. What part are you not understanding?
This post was edited on 10/27 10:39 PM by notlongago

Originally posted by BoscoFan4Life:

he seniors and juniors rotating in during the 3rd qtr were non letter winners. In fact, no letter winners, or returning
letter winners played 2nd half. I'm sure those kids wished it had been a better game. They wouldn't have had to yield
to kids who have 3 more years to play.

This post was edited on 10/27 10:40 PM by BoscoFan4Life
So it wasn't freshmen in the 2nd and was tweeted out and taken as truth. TCT had a freshman that started and played every play. Frankly your pushing me right back to why in the world is DB limiting it's player to 8 player. Too many kids not enough minutes.

This post was edited on 10/28 12:24 AM by roosterk

Rooster I never said there were no freshman in during the 2nd qtr ( and I'm actually not positive that there were or weren't ). I only made reference to the status of the non freshman in during the 3rd qtr. I do know the bulk of the varsity was out early in the 2nd qtr, and it was turned over to a primarily sophomore JV.

The real purpose of my post is to provide some insight. Bosco didn't get better at football by complaining about tough competition, or just because we dropped to 8 player. We sucked at blocking , tackling, knowing responsibilities in coverage, etc. We didn't start to win until Coach Yoder and his staff began to teach the kids how to play the game.

If Bosco were to move to Class A, that helps TCT for one game. Your berating, judging, and worrying about what Bosco does or doesn't do addresses none of the issues that may help TCT.

As a casual observer of the game and a former player I saw a lot of things that would have helped TCT. If your D line is undersized and out matched why not put them in a 4 pt and crate a pile at the line of scrimmage, so your line backers don't get blocked so easily. If they are not blocked so easily the may be able to tackle someone. Most of kids on defense lowered their eyes when they attempted to tackle, then reached out and gabbed for cloth ( like what happened on the 4 or 5 missed tackles on the 120 lb freshman ). O line stood straight up when the ball was snapped. Etc.... Stuff that has nothing to do with how many kids were out there or their age.

Get people focused on football things that will help TCT. Start with the YSF kids and teach them good habits. Reach out to successful programs to see what they are doing. Most coaches and football junkies are more than willing to help out. I know we have people that would offer some advice. It may provide a path to healing our communities.

The 8 man game is a great game especially for small town Iowa. It exposes some great athletes. I hope your program makes it. Good luck and best wishes on that.

I do. Does he/she know how the cheerleaders would have performed if put in the game? Has he/she watched the cheerleaders play football before? No because they've probably never touched a football. To me that's him/her showing a lack of knowledge, which is ignorance.

Do you know what the definition of contentious is? Every post from you on here makes me think of that word.

Actually Hawkeye, up until this past fall during homecoming week our girls played a powder puff game.

So yes, in fact, I have seen many of our cheerleaders play football, on several occasions. Each class played two games.

Several of the girls are actually pretty darn good football players. Not trying to piss anyone off, just stating a very well educated opinion.

I think your best bet may be to stick to what you "actually know" vs what you " think you know ".

Thus far you've really brought nothing to the table of any real substance.
This post was edited on 10/28 2:47 AM by BoscoFan4Life

Originally posted by notlongago:
They have low enrollment numbers and worse projections, they've had great success in 8-man, their "stadium" is set-up for 8-man, and there is no motivation to move. What part are you not understanding?
This post was edited on 10/27 10:39 PM by notlongago
Because there should be a certain point where you just say, "we are ready to do/capable of doing more".

I understand that you are set-up for 8-man...but considering you were once 11-man, clearly it's possible for a change to be made if you're capable of converting a field to 8-man size.....just sayin. Don't let that be the reason that's holding you back.
rolleyes.r191677.gif

Look at FCS schools moving up to FBS or DII schools transitioning to DI. They don't just do it simply for the money. "Hey, let's take our program to the highest level of competition. Yeah we'll get our butts handed to us year after year but at least we'll make tons of money!!!
happy.r191677.gif
"

No, they do it because they feel they're capable of competing in their respective division/conference as well, or are at least striving to be able to.

What would a program (in general) gain from the complacency of winning a championship with ease every year and always being steps ahead of the competition they face (particularly if it is not at the highest level of competition for that particular sport AND upward mobility was possible)?

I know of a program whose fans have been asking (...yes, they have, if you can guess who this is. Don't lie and tell me they haven't because I've seen first-hand, so deal with it...) for the last couple of years why other programs aren't trying to do more to "get on their level". But the fact is they don't understand why most all other programs at that level can't simply just start going toe to toe and even beating this powerhouse on a consistent basis. This power program has had experience at higher levels and now that they're back down they honestly wonder why other programs don't seem to be capable of doing the same to have the success like they have enjoyed..............................................(and I'm condensing and paraphrasing here to not get long-winded).

If Don Bosco truly feels like they can be competitive in Class A.....then what are we talking about?

List the reasons why they should not do it, if that's the case.

I, like rooster, thought you meant the TCT cheerleaders. In that case, you should really start up a powder puff league. Or maybe those girls with all that powder puff experience should join the football team? I mean it's the same thing, isn't it?

I, like many others, have brought quite a bit to the table. You guys just continue to ignore the good points and play the pity party card. I'm not siding with DB (and never will)...nor will I feel bad for you for this backlash. It's pure entertainment getting you all worked up. Why else do you think I'm up at 4 in the morning? Can't get enough.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT