PNation

Varsity
Aug 15, 2010
I'm going to ask this to every board, in 3A mine in order would be

1. Xavier
2. Pella
3. Solon
4. Creston/Carroll winner

Ok I am a Fan of the West side of Iowa, that being said Xavier wins in a blowout. I like Storm Lake or Carroll from the Westside but no one plays with Xavier.

Xavier, Pella, Pella, Xavier. I don't think anyone else is close. Not that there aren't other good 3A programs; there certainly are, but these two schools play at a different level. I think these schools would be in the second tier in 4A. A lot of 4A schools aren't that good. In fact, the top three teams in 3A District 4 are all better than the top teams in 4A District 6, IMHO, and none of them would come close to Pella or Xavier.

Last edited:
1. Xavier
2. Pella
3. Solon
4. Creston

I'm not sure Xavier is the favorite by such a large margin as some of you, but I think they are the clear favorite. I wouldn't sleep on Pella or Solon though either. Creston has the beef, but not sure if they have the amount of athletes that the others have. I could see their defense having issues with the other's speed. I watched them play Pella last year and Pella's speed absolutely killed them. Heelan also destroyed them in the dome 2 years ago by spreading the field out and taking advantage of their speed.

I'm also looking forward to seeing how Storm Lake does once playoffs hit. They have had a great year. I just don't know enough about them to put them in my top 4.

No other team has been able to compete with Pella or Norwalk over the last two years. Norwalk loses to Pella (again), and everyone writes them off. Maybe they shouldn't. Brandsfield, when healthy, is capable of dominating any football game. He has a shot at breaking every IHSAA career passing record, and is currently first or second in every category. Name any great Iowa High School QB that you can remember, and Brady has better statistics over his career.

No disrespect to either Creston or Norwalk. Norwalk doesn't have the defense it did last year. They are still a great team but the defense they lost was a huge loss. Creston has one of the best offensive lines in Iowa high school football they do not have a great defense to make it deep in the playoffs.

"No other team has been able to compete with Pella or Norwalk over the last two years. Norwalk loses to Pella (again), and everyone writes them off. Maybe they shouldn't. Brandsfield, when healthy, is capable of dominating any football game. He has a shot at breaking every IHSAA career passing record, and is currently first or second in every category. Name any great Iowa High School QB that you can remember, and Brady has better statistics over his career."

You have some validity to your point. Norwalk had been written off, somewhat, last year at this time because they were going to finish 2nd in their district. Brandsfield is a difference maker. I think Norwalk will go as far as their defense will take them. They will score on teams, but can they stop the best teams? They did a great job of that last year in the playoffs and it carried them to the title game. Norwalk would most likely also not have to face Pella, Xavier or Solon en route to the dome. They still will have a very difficult route to make it, regardless. Of course, Norwalk still has business to take care of. Carlisle has a very strong running game, so will be interesting to see how the Norwalk D stacks up to that on Friday.

I'm not disagreeing that Norwalk's D might have been better at this point last year. Lost a lot of talent that is now playing at the next level. I'm simply pointing out that our offense is statistically better than last year's team (about 10+ points per game), and our defense is not statistically that much worse than last year (about +5 points given up per game). Last year's margin of victory after 8 games: +171 points. This year: +204. Schedules were similar, but added a 4A school this year, and lost Saydel. I also agree that we will find out a lot this Friday.

Brady is a special talent. If he is healthy I would not rule Norwalk out at all.

Brandsfield has received interest (and some offers) mostly from schools like Wayne State, NWMS, SDSU, USD, N Dak, UNI, Iowa, and lately ISU.

Ok I am a Fan of the West side of Iowa, that being said Xavier wins in a blowout. I like Storm Lake or Carroll from the Westside but no one plays with Xavier.
Can someone please explain to me where Xavier and Storm Lake just suddenly becomes the Titans? Xavier has almost the identical skill players offensively last year. I agree that a year of experience will gain improvement, but did they make a quantum leap. Last year they barely made it out of the first round and didn't survive the 2nd. I am a believer in improvement, but its more likely that their district this year is very weak. Benton, who went 5-5 last year is now the second team in their district. They were blown out by Marion this year? Xavier's one tough game might have been Regina, who is also down this year? I guess I am a little skeptical to ride the Xavier train after 2014, first year back in 3A and this board was yet again all about it's Xavier L A R G E gap and the rest of the field. Then Xavier meets Pella, gets shut out for the first time in a decade, and I'm left wondering where this Large gap is. I've heard that Wilson is a phenom, why was he stoppable last year. I've heard the defense is incredible. Of their top 11 tacklers last year only 3 returned. Again if these guys are so great why did they not play last year. Last year's team was hardly phenomenal. Maybe I am too analytical, but I don't think the large gap is for real. What I am seeing is the bottom 2/3 of many districts are just not very good. I also find it interesting that the Register picks Xavier #1, but the Gazette has Pella, odd?

Storm Lake? Can a team bounce back from last year's 3-6 record and now be a contender? With many of the same players? Again I fully understand improvement, but in a similar district that SBL won last year, and then got destroyed in a Semi-Final with Norwalk, I question the strength in that district this year. SBL had a great runner last year. This year average. It will be interesting to see how Storm Lake's smaller more agile defense would match up with a bulldozer like Creston.

I am not sure that any district leader has been too challenged this year to say that anyone is a cut above the rest. I am still a believer that Defense wins championships, and I only see a few teams out there that appear to have that. With that said here are my 4 in Alphabetical order,

Creston (Defense not as strong, but they can really eat clock with the running game, can be a strength or a weakness)
Pella
Solon (The Regina loss still baffles me, not so much the loss but how bad of a loss)
Xavier

Can someone please explain to me where Xavier and Storm Lake just suddenly becomes the Titans? Xavier has almost the identical skill players offensively last year. I agree that a year of experience will gain improvement, but did they make a quantum leap. Last year they barely made it out of the first round and didn't survive the 2nd. I am a believer in improvement, but its more likely that their district this year is very weak. Benton, who went 5-5 last year is now the second team in their district. They were blown out by Marion this year? Xavier's one tough game might have been Regina, who is also down this year? I guess I am a little skeptical to ride the Xavier train after 2014, first year back in 3A and this board was yet again all about it's Xavier L A R G E gap and the rest of the field. Then Xavier meets Pella, gets shut out for the first time in a decade, and I'm left wondering where this Large gap is. I've heard that Wilson is a phenom, why was he stoppable last year. I've heard the defense is incredible. Of their top 11 tacklers last year only 3 returned. Again if these guys are so great why did they not play last year. Last year's team was hardly phenomenal. Maybe I am too analytical, but I don't think the large gap is for real. What I am seeing is the bottom 2/3 of many districts are just not very good. I also find it interesting that the Register picks Xavier #1, but the Gazette has Pella, odd?

Storm Lake? Can a team bounce back from last year's 3-6 record and now be a contender? With many of the same players? Again I fully understand improvement, but in a similar district that SBL won last year, and then got destroyed in a Semi-Final with Norwalk, I question the strength in that district this year. SBL had a great runner last year. This year average. It will be interesting to see how Storm Lake's smaller more agile defense would match up with a bulldozer like Creston.

I am not sure that any district leader has been too challenged this year to say that anyone is a cut above the rest. I am still a believer that Defense wins championships, and I only see a few teams out there that appear to have that. With that said here are my 4 in Alphabetical order,

Creston (Defense not as strong, but they can really eat clock with the running game, can be a strength or a weakness)
Pella
Solon (The Regina loss still baffles me, not so much the loss but how bad of a loss)
Xavier
You're right, there isn't that big of a gap. This is probably their best overall team since they moved down to 3A and I think they're certainly one of the contenders but I don't think there's a huge gap between them.

Creston loses tonight against Carroll, you heard it here first. Also as much as I want the champ to come out of the west is won't.

Good call. I guess it's too late to say I called it, but I thought the same thing. If you look above I have Carroll in my final 4 and not Creston.

I watched Creston on my nephew's Hudl a few weeks ago at a family deal, and they are an average east side team. That's not an exaggeration. I'm sorry west side people, but the champion will be from the east (unless the state is smart and sends Pella west). No doubt about that.

I'm also on the Xavier wagon. The argument that they beat a down Regina team isn't valid imo as Regina would probably be my second favorite team to win 3A this year. They do have to get past a tough West Delaware team though and I think that game ends up as the best game in the bracket.

Well then, Pella Christian probably will be your second favorite team in 4A, because they dethrone Regina this year. Regina is down, and Xavier's district way down, so not sure you have a good baseline.

Pella
Xavier

El Doce does have some good points. As I posted earlier in this thread, I think Xavier is the favorite, but I also don't see it as a slam dunk for them. It is true that this board sounds a lot like it did in 2014 with Xavier being the favorite by a mile, but then Pella handled them in the dome. Granted, that Xavier team did lose 3 regular season games (albeit one was to Dowling), so it probably wasn't as big of a surprise that they got beat. This year's team hasn't been beat and has looked very impressive. Thus, they look like the favorites. But, it's hard to not count on Pella to be there as well as they've won 37 games in a row and none of those opponents came within 10 points of them. Also, it's not like anybody has played them very close this year. If you have witnessed them playing the last two years, then you have a very good idea what this year's squad is like as well. In fact, the defense is much better then last year's team. If they and Solon win first round games, that quarterfinal matchup should be great. Pella will go to Solon, but they had to go to Assumption last year in the same round. I'm sure they would like to have played at home for that round, but I don't think they really care much where they play. I know Coach McKinstrey has commented that he wants this year's team to find that "mental edge" consistently like they had when they played Norwalk 2 weeks ago. Might be easier to find that going on the road for a tough challenge. But, I hear from friends 20 miles down the road that Osky is very excited to get another crack at Pella and very much looking forward to the challenge this Friday. Pella will have to play well to get through that game first as Osky does have big play capability and a very good QB.

Well then, Pella Christian probably will be your second favorite team in 4A, because they dethrone Regina this year. Regina is down, and Xavier's district way down, so not sure you have a good baseline.

Did you mean 3A or 4A?

Did you mean 3A or 4A?
Meant 4A, trying to imply PC at another level. I do think PC can beat Regina, but I don't think that either team could beat the top 2 teams in 3A, just as I don't believe that Xavier, Pella could beat Valley or Dowling. Mostly adding sarcasm to views that hold Xavier/Regina at this elite status.

Meant 4A, trying to imply PC at another level. I do think PC can beat Regina, but I don't think that either team could beat the top 2 teams in 3A, just as I don't believe that Xavier, Pella could beat Valley or Dowling. Mostly adding sarcasm to views that hold Xavier/Regina at this elite status.

Interesting that you would lump Regina in like that. I haven't heard many people say they could compete with Valley and Dowling. I watched their line more than hold their own against ICW. As far as them being held up at an elite level I guess they have earned that. When you do something that has never been done you get some of that. If PC knocks them off they will tip their hat to them like they have to each of the 8 teams that have beaten them in the last 127 games.

Interesting that you would lump Regina in like that. I haven't heard many people say they could compete with Valley and Dowling. I watched their line more than hold their own against ICW. As far as them being held up at an elite level I guess they have earned that. When you do something that has never been done you get some of that. If PC knocks them off they will tip their hat to them like they have to each of the 8 teams that have beaten them in the last 127 games.
Not being negative on Xavier or Regina, Cid, just stating that I don't drink the kool-aid that automatically puts these programs on the pedestal.....have to earn it each year. Regina, thus far has done that, but I think this year might be a year they are a little down. I wouldn't use ICW as a 4A powerhouse. They have more than their share of high quality players, but then it comes down to coaching and systems. ICW has shown that the magic doesn't come from how many 4star recruits you have. I know that Regina will consistently have an edge due to coaching. Xavier also has a good coach and good system. Wish them both luck this year, just not thinking either will come out on top.

Not being negative on Xavier or Regina, Cid, just stating that I don't drink the kool-aid that automatically puts these programs on the pedestal.....have to earn it each year. Regina, thus far has done that, but I think this year might be a year they are a little down. I wouldn't use ICW as a 4A powerhouse. They have more than their share of high quality players, but then it comes down to coaching and systems. ICW has shown that the magic doesn't come from how many 4star recruits you have. I know that Regina will consistently have an edge due to coaching. Xavier also has a good coach and good system. Wish them both luck this year, just not thinking either will come out on top.

ICW may not be a powerhouse but they are a 4A playoff team. I do need to ask what have you seen to put PC on the pedestal that you are putting them on? Or is it just a different flavor of kool aid?

ICW may not be a powerhouse but they are a 4A playoff team. I do need to ask what have you seen to put PC on the pedestal that you are putting them on? Or is it just a different flavor of kool aid?
Not a pedestal, not saying they are on Mt. Olympus looking down. I think they have 2 skill guys that can play somewhere at the next level, that have played together for 3 years (that's a serious advantage in QB/R relationship.) They also have significantly better than average other players with a good coach and system of dedication. So I think that gives them the edge. ( I don't think Regina has the skill players developed yet, they could prove me wrong) Making the playoffs in 4A not as difficult as the other classes. After the top 10 teams the quality drops off severely. W.Dubq, also made the playoffs this year in 4A, last year they were 3-6 in 3A. Bringing this back to 3A, I don't think a win by Xavier over Regina, gives them anymore cred than a win by Pella over Norwalk(whose defense is much worse than last year). And a beat down by Regina over Solon (even though it was early) leaves me with serious questions on Solon.

Ask Norwalk's last opponent's punter how much worse Norwalk's defense is this year!
His 8 punts for 261 yards outgained his offense by quite a bit.

Ask Norwalk's last opponent's punter how much worse Norwalk's defense is this year!
His 8 punts for 261 yards outgained his offense by quite a bit.
Not sure I would use Carlisle to "guage" my defensive strength. Giving up almost 40 to Pella might be a good test. Not sure there are any other offenses in that district you could use, but giving up 28 points to Grinnell, which were not garbage points, would also be an indicator. No way does last year's defense do that. If Brandsfield is limited on mobility, and Garner is still out, the offense will struggle and will be in for dogfight with Webster City.

I think they will be in for a dog fight against Webster City anyway. WC is a tough team. Should be a good game between two good teams

Norwalk will find out this Friday how good their defense is as they are facing the top ranked 3A rushing team (by about 500 yards) that also has the most rushing TD's this year (43). Webster City can chew up the clock on you, if you let them. I think the game hinges on the ankle of Mr. Bransfield. If he has to sit, I think Norwalk will be in trouble. They can't afford to have short, empty drives against Webster City or it will be a long night for the Warriors as their # of possessions could be limited if they can't control the line of scrimmage on defense.

I'm not trying to convince anyone that Norwalk has the best defense in the state. I'm arguing that they are not as bad as several posters have claimed. Someone had stated that Carlisle's running game might be a good indicator. They run almost as much as Webster City. They had been averaging close to 450 yards rushing/game. Other than 1 long TD run early, it was mostly 3 and outs, 8 punts, and they finished with 185 yards rushing. (Carlisle only punted 4 times against Pella.) Pella's D gave up 208 total yds to Carlisle. Norwalk's D gave up 211.

Norwalk's 0-38 loss vs. Pella was 0-19 early and remained that way for a lot of the game until some unfortunate turnovers, etc. Grinnell who was a preseason top 10 team by the CR Gazette (wow were they wrong) played extremely well vs Norwalk for a quarter and a half until they got a couple of unsportsmanlike penalties for a late hit on Brandsfield out of the back of the end zone and one of their best players was ejected. The Grinnell QB actually had the strongest arm of anyone Norwalk played this year and for a quarter and a half he was very accurate. He finshed the season throwing for close to 2000 yards.

Last year's Norwalk defense had some poor regular season games, too. Most notably giving up points and yards to Chariton. They are high school kids. If you've coached you know that it can be difficult to keep them focused and giving maximum effort over the grind of an entire season. Especially when they know they can just show up and beat most everyone on their schedule.. The playoffs are (hopefully) a different story.

OK, was not stating that Norwalk had the worst defense in 3A, just comparing to last year. Pella/Carlisle game was over at halftime, so can't compare. Pella D versus Norwalk D, not even close. Nothing against current Norwalk players, but last year's groups had many top level athletes at all three levels, (line, LB, and safety), I have seen them play and their defense is where they will struggle if they do. Alternatively, I think Pella has struggled getting out of the gate offensively in a few games and might not be as potent as previous years.

Pella also forced 4 turnovers in the carlisle game. So comparing how many times they punted is pretty much irrelevant. Also agree with el doce. Pella offense has struggled early in games and there is simply no comparison with the Pella D and Norwalk D.

Not a pedestal, not saying they are on Mt. Olympus looking down. I think they have 2 skill guys that can play somewhere at the next level, that have played together for 3 years (that's a serious advantage in QB/R relationship.) They also have significantly better than average other players with a good coach and system of dedication. So I think that gives them the edge. ( I don't think Regina has the skill players developed yet, they could prove me wrong) Making the playoffs in 4A not as difficult as the other classes. After the top 10 teams the quality drops off severely. W.Dubq, also made the playoffs this year in 4A, last year they were 3-6 in 3A. Bringing this back to 3A, I don't think a win by Xavier over Regina, gives them anymore cred than a win by Pella over Norwalk(whose defense is much worse than last year). And a beat down by Regina over Solon (even though it was early) leaves me with serious questions on Solon.
Do you recall when Regina beat SOlon a few years back? Solon and Regina went on to win titles in their respective classes. Losses have 2 outcomes, you reel and fall back or you regroup and get better.

My point wasn't really to compare Norwalk's vs Pella's defenses, (and Norwalk forced 3 turnovers vs Carlisle, btw). Someone else brought up that Carlisle's running game would be a test for Norwalk's D. It really wasn't. I'm sure that Webster City's 1950s style offense and their size will be a challenge, but from film their offense looks similar to Creston's which Norwalk has seen before. My intended point was that Norwalk's 2016 defense which might not be as talented as their 2015 defense has been good enough to allow Norwalk's 2016 offense which is better (when healthy) than their 2015 offense to comfortably defeat every opponent except for Pella, and I believe that Pella and Norwalk are still the top 2 teams in 3A.

Nobody ever seems to consider that the top 2 teams could be from the same district. It could happen, (again)!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT