ADVERTISEMENT

Why FDSE will beat WL

Originally posted by usfhawk:
What quikstatsiowa doesn't tell you is that the majority of yards gained against WL were late in games when freshman and sophomores were on the field. WL does good job of when a gain is under control to get young guys in the game. Starters played one half in most of the games this year, Emmetsburg included.

Interesting stat: O'Tool has more carries in a season than any player in the state since 2011.
That is interesting. A few fun facts:

O'Tool has the 14th most rushing yards in a single season thus far, with his 2,534 yds. Maquoketa Valley's Ryan Parmely finished with 3,180, which is second all time just behind Brandon Wegher. Had MV not been upset by Denver, he most likely would've set the record. O'Tool's current 46 and Parmely's 45 rushing touchdowns are 7th and 8th most in a single season.

O'Tool leads the state with 359 carries. Albia's Carter Isley is 3rd with 326 and can add to that in their semifinal game against Sioux Center. The next closest, whose team is still in the playoffs, is Waukee's Trevor Allen with 244.

Leaders by year:
2013- Ryan Parmely (Maquoketa Valley), 339
2012- Kyle Stephenson (South Tama)/Chris Schleuger (West Hancock, Britt), 329
2011- 8-man: Dalton Ciavarelli (Clarksville), 386; 11-man: Chris Schleuger (West Hancock, Britt), 336
2010- 8-man: Tyler Lenox (Tripoli), 330; 11-man: Brandon Domeyer (West Delaware), 223
2009- 11-man: Ben Buffington (Mason City Newman), 386; 8-man: Austin Ayers (Adair-Casey), 368
2008- Jon Elmore (Prairie Valley), 380.....Brandon Wegher (Sioux City Bishop Heelan) 362

There are Quikstats available for 2006 and 2007, though not all teams reported then and the highest total was 308.

SE and West Lyon have also come close to crossing paths before in the postseason, though I believe this is their first-ever meeting. In consecutive years, had both teams won they would've met in the 2004 and 2005 2A Quarterfinals. SE lost at E'burg in '04, who then fell to West Lyon, 14-7. The following year, Sheldon was able to oust both West Lyon and then SE on their way to a runner-up finish.

There was discussion in Class A about Parmely being the best player in the class...

I discredited him for the fact that in blowout situations he got a ridiculous amount of carries...

I can't recall which game off hand, but MV won by 28 or so points and Parmely had 41 carries in the game. Another team had won by 1 point more or less and the starting RB only received 19 carries. It was that way with every game I compared.

Essentially, MV was running up the score and taking advantage of inferior opponents.

Just because you lead a class in yardage doesn't make you a great player. Over the past few years Mt.Ayr has played in a district that is typically awful: Red Oak, Sibley O, MVAO, etc.... If they kept the starting RB in and set the rushing record against those types of teams it would mean nothing. That is basically what MV tried doing this year. Lisbon, Denver, and Alburnett were the best teams they faced and Lisbon's record gave them to much credit at 6-3.

Is Parmely a good player? Absolutely. He is probably in the Top 5 or 10 in A but definitely not as good as some guys.

I haven't seen O'Tool play, but I looked over the game numbers and FDSE did the same thing MV did...

37 carries in 21-0 win over MNW...
39 carries in 38-22 win over SCC...
46 carries in 42-18 win over Ogden... Oh! I have got to hear this reasoning, because earlier when I complained of FDSE pass defense I was informed that Ogden scored on the reserves when the game was out of reach... If that was the case then why did the starting RB's and QB combine for 66 carries!!! O'Tool, Peed, and Bocken. I have 2 thoughts. 1: FDSE was simply running it up 2: FDSE has no depth just like Maq Valley and has been given a soft playoff schedule.
34 carries in 35-6 win over Southeast Valley... Starters got 46 of 48 carries...
31 carries in 35-0 win over South Hamilton... Starters got 34 of 38 carries... Technically I believe Faiferlick is a starter also so 38 of 38.
31 carries in 47-0 win over Avoca AHST... Starters got 51 of 56 carries...

Just so you understand my comparison...
IKM-Manning beat Ogden 56-26... Which is 6 points more than what FDSE won by...
Wegner only got 28 carries... 18 less than O'Tool

IKM-Manning vs. MNW... 35-13 thus FDSE won by 1 less point...
Wegner got 14 carries... O'Tool 37 carries... 23 more carries

I have watch film on WL, IKM-Manning, South Hamilton, Emmetsburg, and FDSE now...

Size wise West Lyon is hands down the biggest. Power football wise Moser is a beast. Mark Weisman style of runner.

FDSE Peed is the best player on that offense. He has good size and speed. He is a mismatch in the passing game as well. O'Tool is fast, but unless he gets the edge he doesn't offer much. My favorite part for FDSE is definitely the front 7. O'Tool, Remsburg, and Hindt are the best players on defense. Kremer and Gailey are more liabilities than assets at LB and CB. Naughton is the best on the DL, but he is super short for 215lb. #78 and #71 just seem to be big bodies so they gobble up middle runs. O'Tool is good on the Kickoff team coverage as well.

I see West Lyon controlling the LOC and winning still.

Originally posted by maxstabs13:

There was discussion in Class A about Parmely being the best player in the class...

I discredited him for the fact that in blowout situations he got a ridiculous amount of carries...

I can't recall which game off hand, but MV won by 28 or so points and Parmely had 41 carries in the game. Another team had won by 1 point more or less and the starting RB only received 19 carries. It was that way with every game I compared.

Essentially, MV was running up the score and taking advantage of inferior opponents.

Just because you lead a class in yardage doesn't make you a great player. Over the past few years Mt.Ayr has played in a district that is typically awful: Red Oak, Sibley O, MVAO, etc.... If they kept the starting RB in and set the rushing record against those types of teams it would mean nothing. That is basically what MV tried doing this year. Lisbon, Denver, and Alburnett were the best teams they faced and Lisbon's record gave them to much credit at 6-3.

Is Parmely a good player? Absolutely. He is probably in the Top 5 or 10 in A but definitely not as good as some guys.

I haven't seen O'Tool play, but I looked over the game numbers and FDSE did the same thing MV did...

46 carries in 42-18 win over Ogden... Oh! I have got to hear this reasoning, because earlier when I complained of FDSE pass defense I was informed that Ogden scored on the reserves when the game was out of reach... If that was the case then why did the starting RB's and QB combine for 66 carries!!! O'Tool, Peed, and Bocken. I have 2 thoughts. 1: FDSE was simply running it up 2: FDSE has no depth just like Maq Valley and has been given a soft playoff schedule.
34 carries in 35-6 win over Southeast Valley... Starters got 46 of 48 carries...
31 carries in 35-0 win over South Hamilton... Starters got 34 of 38 carries... Technically I believe Faiferlick is a starter also so 38 of 38.

IKM-Manning beat Ogden 56-26... Which is 6 points more than what FDSE won by...
Wegner only got 28 carries... 18 less than O'Tool

IKM-Manning vs. MNW... 35-13 thus FDSE won by 1 less point...
Wegner got 14 carries... O'Tool 37 carries... 23 more carries

I have watch film on WL, IKM-Manning, South Hamilton, Emmetsburg, and FDSE now...

Size wise West Lyon is hands down the biggest. Power football wise Moser is a beast. Mark Weisman style of runner.

FDSE Peed is the best player on that offense. He has good size and speed. He is a mismatch in the passing game as well. O'Tool is fast, but unless he gets the edge he doesn't offer much. My favorite part for FDSE is definitely the front 7. O'Tool, Remsburg, and Hindt are the best players on defense. Kremer and Gailey are more liabilities than assets at LB and CB. Naughton is the best on the DL, but he is super short for 215lb. #78 and #71 just seem to be big bodies so they gobble up middle runs. O'Tool is good on the Kickoff team coverage as well.

I see West Lyon controlling the LOC and winning still.
It doesn't sound like you've ever seen SE play. O'Tool isn't extremely fast. He is more of a well balanced back. He finds the running lanes and has good agility with a balance of speed and power.

"IKM-Manning beat Ogden 56-26... Which is 6 points more than what FDSE won by..."
When did IKM play Ogden? I think you must mean Madrid. Were you also aware that Santi reinjured his leg against IKM and it was a fairly close game until he went down? FDSE beat Madrid by 35 so your math isn't even right but then again it looks like you are comparing IKM-Madrid result to FDSE-Ogden.

FDSE and IKM both played Avoca. IKM won 42-9 and FDSE won 47-0 but I'm still not sure what all these goofy score comparisons mean? IKM also may have beaten Manson by 1 more point but SE shut them out entirely and controlled the clock.

"46 carries in 42-18 win over Ogden... Oh! I have got to hear this reasoning, because earlier when I complained of FDSE pass defense I was informed that Ogden scored on the reserves when the game was out of reach... If that was the case then why did the starting RB's and QB combine for 66 carries!!!"
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?id=164139950318468&story_fbid=747095712022886

As you see in the link, O'Tool did most of his damage early in the game when the result was still in doubt. They gave Peed a lot of the 3rd and 4th quarter carries when SE pulled away to get him more game time. What we were talking about in the previous discussion had to do with Ogden's passing totals. They had 177 yards total but I mentioned that 73 of those yards came on one play late in the 4th quarter when SE had started to put in subs. You are making irrelevant comparisons here.

"I haven't seen O'Tool play, but I looked over the game numbers and FDSE did the same thing MV did..."
"O'Tool is fast, but unless he gets the edge he doesn't offer much."
"I have watch film on WL, IKM-Manning, South Hamilton, Emmetsburg, and FDSE now..."
rolleyes.r191677.gif

So which is it? Either you have seen him play or you haven't. You sound like a walking contradiction.

This post was edited on 11/13 11:12 AM by CP84

Originally posted by westsiderider28:
Gailey does not play corner, also Kremer is leading the team in tackles.. You have no clue what you are talkign about
He probably saw SE play once at the dome last season when Gailey was playing corner and now he's an expert.

Calling the most productive defensive player a liability is a little bizarre too.

"Linebacker Eric Kremer, a 180-pound senior, anchors the relentless Gael defensive unit with 67 tackles, three sacks, an interception and a fumble recovery. St. Edmond has allowed 90 points, forced 23 turnovers and pitched three shutouts this fall."

This post was edited on 11/13 11:23 AM by CP84

Well, while you ponder that question, I'll press on.

There was discussion in Class A about Parmely being the best player in the class...(Okay.)

I discredited him (kinda harsh, isn't it?) for the fact that in blowout situations he got a ridiculous amount of carries...(because that proves that he's not the best player.....or at least you're going to try.)

I can't recall which game off hand, but MV won by 28 or so points and Parmely had 41 carries in the game. (......aaaaand?) Another team had won by 1 point more or less and the starting RB only received 19 carries. (......aaaaaand?) It was that way with every game I compared. (.....
noidea.gif
)[/B]
Essentially, MV was running up the score and taking advantage of inferior opponents. (Quick to pass judgement, you are....)

Just because you lead a class in yardage doesn't make you a great player. (How about a good player, then? I haven't seen a lot of average players rush for 2,500+ yards in a season. Maybe you have, in your opinion.......) Over the past few years Mt.Ayr has played in a district that is typically awful: Red Oak, Sibley O, MVAO, etc.... If they kept the starting RB in and set the rushing record against those types of teams it would mean nothing. That is basically what MV tried doing this year. Lisbon, Denver, and Alburnett were the best teams they faced and Lisbon's record gave them to much credit at 6-3.

Is Parmely a good player? Absolutely. He is probably in the Top 5 or 10 in A but definitely not as good as some guys. (So what you're saying is you think the guys you have ahead of him in your top 5-10 are better. Alright I see how it works.)

I haven't seen O'Tool play (Wait so.....you haven't seen him play, but you've watched film on SE? Did you write this before you watched film or was this just a typo, but I looked over the game numbers and FDSE did the same thing MV did...(Did they?)

46 carries in 42-18 win over Ogden... Oh! I have got to hear this reasoning, because earlier when I complained of FDSE pass defense I was informed that Ogden scored on the reserves when the game was out of reach... If that was the case then why did the starting RB's and QB combine for 66 carries!!! O'Tool, Peed, and Bocken. I have 2 thoughts. 1: FDSE was simply running it up 2: FDSE has no depth just like Maq Valley and has been given a soft playoff schedule. (I made it as clear as I'm going to make it, as to what happened in that game. You probably aren't gonna go back and find my post, so I guess you'll just have to be satisfied with misinformation. Yes, now we're getting serious here. Max is attacking teams' playoff schedules.)

31 carries in 35-0 win over South Hamilton... Starters got 34 of 38 carries... Technically I believe Faiferlick is a starter also so 38 of 38. (Sure if it makes you feel better)

IKM-Manning beat Ogden 56-26... Which is 6 points more than what FDSE won by...(See CP84's post)
Wegner only got 28 carries... 18 less than O'Tool (
noidea.gif
)[/B]
IKM-Manning vs. MNW... 35-13 thus FDSE won by 1 less point...(And thus they did...
confused0006.r191677.gif
)[/B]
Wegner got 14 carries... O'Tool 37 carries... 23 more carries (That's correct, max. Now we're gonna move on to long division.)

I have watched film on WL, IKM-Manning, South Hamilton, Emmetsburg, and FDSE now...(Youtube?)

Size wise West Lyon is hands down the biggest. Power football wise Moser is a beast. Mark Weisman style of runner. (Ahh, so like Vinnie Harvey?)

FDSE Peed is the best player on that offense. He has good size and speed. He is a mismatch in the passing game as well. O'Tool is fast, but unless he gets the edge he doesn't offer much. (#discredited......)[/B] My favorite part for FDSE is definitely the front 7. O'Tool, Remsburg, and Hindt are the best players on defense. Kremer and Gailey are more liabilities than assets at LB and CB. (Why are we only scouting St. Eds?- just to kind of put this out there...Why the heck can't you do this for the other three as well? Is there a reason, in particular, or does SE just attract that much attention?) Naughton is the best on the DL, but he is super short for 215lb. (So?) #78 and #71 just seem to be big bodies so they gobble up middle runs. O'Tool is good on the Kickoff team coverage as well.
I see West Lyon controlling the LOC and winning still. (Of course you do. But if you're wrong, you won't have to waste as much of your time in the finals preview threads trying to show everyone why SE isn't as good as the team you think will win. You just have to say "because it's Regina".....
noidea.gif
)[/B]
The good thing about this game is that St. Eds doesn't need to impress you. They're just trying to win. They know that they haven't won anything yet. They made their first-ever trip to the dome last year, ultimately coming up just short. And while they're happy to be back, they're also still hungry to get another shot at the title. And sure, of course you can say what you want about West Lyon and Regina and what they want, but the Gaels know they have plenty to prove on Saturday. Not to you, or me, the fans, or even their opponent. But to themselves. You ask whether or not they belong. They're gonna prove it...

Because they can.

Right, Pine.
smokin.r191677.gif

Originally posted by DarkThunder#61:
Well, while you ponder that question, I'll press on.

There was discussion in Class A about Parmely being the best player in the class...(Okay.)

I discredited him (kinda harsh, isn't it?) for the fact that in blowout situations he got a ridiculous amount of carries...(because that proves that he's not the best player.....or at least you're going to try.)

I can't recall which game off hand, but MV won by 28 or so points and Parmely had 41 carries in the game. (......aaaaand?) Another team had won by 1 point more or less and the starting RB only received 19 carries. (......aaaaaand?) It was that way with every game I compared. (.....
ec
)[/B]
Essentially, MV was running up the score and taking advantage of inferior opponents. (Quick to pass judgement, you are....)

Just because you lead a class in yardage doesn't make you a great player. (How about a good player, then? I haven't seen a lot of average players rush for 2,500+ yards in a season. Maybe you have, in your opinion.......) Over the past few years Mt.Ayr has played in a district that is typically awful: Red Oak, Sibley O, MVAO, etc.... If they kept the starting RB in and set the rushing record against those types of teams it would mean nothing. That is basically what MV tried doing this year. Lisbon, Denver, and Alburnett were the best teams they faced and Lisbon's record gave them to much credit at 6-3.

Is Parmely a good player? Absolutely. He is probably in the Top 5 or 10 in A but definitely not as good as some guys. (So what you're saying is you think the guys you have ahead of him in your top 5-10 are better. Alright I see how it works.)

I haven't seen O'Tool play (Wait so.....you haven't seen him play, but you've watched film on SE? Did you write this before you watched film or was this just a typo, but I looked over the game numbers and FDSE did the same thing MV did...(Did they?)

46 carries in 42-18 win over Ogden... Oh! I have got to hear this reasoning, because earlier when I complained of FDSE pass defense I was informed that Ogden scored on the reserves when the game was out of reach... If that was the case then why did the starting RB's and QB combine for 66 carries!!! O'Tool, Peed, and Bocken. I have 2 thoughts. 1: FDSE was simply running it up 2: FDSE has no depth just like Maq Valley and has been given a soft playoff schedule. (I made it as clear as I'm going to make it, as to what happened in that game. You probably aren't gonna go back and find my post, so I guess you'll just have to be satisfied with misinformation. Yes, now we're getting serious here. Max is attacking teams' playoff schedules.)

31 carries in 35-0 win over South Hamilton... Starters got 34 of 38 carries... Technically I believe Faiferlick is a starter also so 38 of 38. (Sure if it makes you feel better)

IKM-Manning beat Ogden 56-26... Which is 6 points more than what FDSE won by...(See CP84's post)
Wegner only got 28 carries... 18 less than O'Tool (
ec
)[/B]
IKM-Manning vs. MNW... 35-13 thus FDSE won by 1 less point...(And thus they did...
confused0006.r191677.gif
)[/B]
Wegner got 14 carries... O'Tool 37 carries... 23 more carries (That's correct, max. Now we're gonna move on to long division.)

I have watched film on WL, IKM-Manning, South Hamilton, Emmetsburg, and FDSE now...(Youtube?)

Size wise West Lyon is hands down the biggest. Power football wise Moser is a beast. Mark Weisman style of runner. (Ahh, so like Vinnie Harvey?)

FDSE Peed is the best player on that offense. He has good size and speed. He is a mismatch in the passing game as well. O'Tool is fast, but unless he gets the edge he doesn't offer much. (#discredited......)[/B] My favorite part for FDSE is definitely the front 7. O'Tool, Remsburg, and Hindt are the best players on defense. Kremer and Gailey are more liabilities than assets at LB and CB. (Why are we only scouting St. Eds?- just to kind of put this out there...Why the heck can't you do this for the other three as well? Is there a reason, in particular, or does SE just attract that much attention?) Naughton is the best on the DL, but he is super short for 215lb. (So?) #78 and #71 just seem to be big bodies so they gobble up middle runs. O'Tool is good on the Kickoff team coverage as well.
I see West Lyon controlling the LOC and winning still. (Of course you do. But if you're wrong, you won't have to waste as much of your time in the finals preview threads trying to show everyone why SE isn't as good as the team you think will win. You just have to say "because it's Regina".....
ec
)[/B]
The good thing about this game is that St. Eds doesn't need to impress you. They're just trying to win. They know that they haven't won anything yet. They made their first-ever trip to the dome last year, ultimately coming up just short. And while they're happy to be back, they're also still hungry to get another shot at the title. And sure, of course you can say what you want about West Lyon and Regina and what they want, but the Gaels know they have plenty to prove on Saturday. Not to you, or me, the fans, or even their opponent. But to themselves. You ask whether or not they belong. They're gonna prove it...

Because they can.

Right, Pine.
smokin.r191677.gif
I love getting you worked up. Reminds me of that 2009 statement about Turkey Valley/FDSE. #LivingInThePast

Precisely on the Regina front, because no one expects anyone to touch Regina. I would however find it sweet if any of the remaining teams somehow beat them... Including your Gaels.
eek.r191677.gif

I love getting you worked up. (I suppose the only way you'd be getting me worked up was if your post above was deliberately done to do so; and by that I mean the false assessments and inaccurate statistics. But seeing as how I don't think it was so intentional, no I'm not worked up at all. I treat it more like the end of a chess match where you just have one piece left so you're spending the rest of the match avoiding capture, rather than accepting your fate, or in this case responding to all my comments.
grin.r191677.gif
)

DT61--------- YOU really need a life!! Salvation army needs you to ring bells this holiday season to wish everyone merry Christmas!!!!

You know what- this whole thread is embarrassing for both sides. Most of the above posers are dads and players- just trying to get their names out there. We get it, "let's mention our kid's name or our names a lot". Wow- go watch Bravo TV

I see WL pulling away in this game....as the SE line tires. They may have played some talented lines this year....but not the caliber of WL. Gonna be an eye opener for them.

Originally posted by hawk44ever:
You know what- this whole thread is embarrassing for both sides. Most of the above posers are dads and players- just trying to get their names out there. We get it, "let's mention our kid's name or our names a lot". Wow- go watch Bravo TV
I think it's been pretty good discussion for the most part by all sides. I can't think of one other regular poster on the board who is either a player on one of these teams or a parent.
This post was edited on 11/14 5:25 PM by CP84

Wow. Read through all of that. Have a feeling this is going to be a great game (for 2 quarters) then WL will win by 2 scores. Sorry, no stats.

Here's the prediction breakdown. As suspected WL is the favorite on this forum. I'm sticking with FDSE and I'll return to have my crow should I be wrong.

FDSE: CP84, Ghost80, Greenvapor, Cook2016, Soyo4321 , BCMoore, DarkThunder (maybe?)

WL: Maxstabs, Rocket98, Spook78, glb47, MVPFAN, wlguys, warriors dad, jammer2006, Makeweight35, stickman80, karmakiller, hawknw1, usfhawk

This post was edited on 11/15 10:13 AM by CP84

You're pretty bitter about this private school issue Blame.Just enjoy the game today.

If West Branch could have upheld their end if the deal, it could have been them getting blown out today.

Originally posted by CP84:
You're pretty bitter about this private school issue Blame.Just enjoy the game today.
no, like I said REGINA IS A GOOD TEAM

they are going to beat everybody in 1A by a big margin.

If they dont win the title by 28+, I'll be shocked.

has nothing to do with bitterness.
has everything to do with reality

Originally posted by Pinehawk:
If West Branch could have upheld their end if the deal, it could have been them getting blown out today.
you win, dude
This post was edited on 11/15 12:37 PM by BlameIt

I'll eat my crow. Good game throughout. WL made a couple key special teams plays and a fumble recovery and se couldn't finish drives.

This one kind of went how I expected. I just did not see WL letting O'tool run all over them. Once they got a handle on the SE offence they pretty much shut it down except a couple jump ball passes and QB scrambles. I respect the blocking and tackling SE does , very similar to Twait coached E'burg. Great fundamentals and technique, players are coached up well. The WL size seemed to make a difference. As for WL, typical team for them. Good size, not as much speed as I have seen from them in other years. Skill guys are good as usual but not really any wow type guys. QB is good but again they have had better throwers and runners. I willl be going for WL next week but I just don't see them having the speed to keep up with Regina. Some of their teams I could have said that about but I just don''t see it this year. They have great coaches and I hope they get a plan together that works. Will take their very best game and regina to do some flubbing up IMO. WL will not win if they pllay to the level they did today. Too many penalties and can not have any turn overs.

I'll talk about the game later as we're about to head out, but no complaints here. Gaels didn't give up when they got down. Just couldn't quite get that second score that would've made all the difference. Robert Flattery did a heck of a job in place of Bocken, and it's too bad the senior had to go out like that. But Robert showed that there's a lot he can build on going into next year once he shook off those initial nerves.
Great game between two physical teams as expected and good luck to West Lyon next week.

This post was edited on 11/15 3:56 PM by DarkThunder#61

Originally posted by MVPFAN:
This one kind of went how I expected. I just did not see WL letting O'tool run all over them. Once they got a handle on the SE offence they pretty much shut it down except a couple jump ball passes and QB scrambles. I respect the blocking and tackling SE does , very similar to Twait coached E'burg. Great fundamentals and technique, players are coached up well. The WL size seemed to make a difference. As for WL, typical team for them. Good size, not as much speed as I have seen from them in other years. Skill guys are good as usual but not really any wow type guys. QB is good but again they have had better throwers and runners. I willl be going for WL next week but I just don't see them having the speed to keep up with Regina. Some of their teams I could have said that about but I just don''t see it this year. They have great coaches and I hope they get a plan together that works. Will take their very best game and regina to do some flubbing up IMO. WL will not win if they pllay to the level they did today. Too many penalties and can not have any turn overs.
I agree with much of what you said. I underestimated both defenses and figured O'Tool and Vaughan would break a few open and neither team really did. Both defenses were very disciplined. I was actually more impressed with WL's linebackers and d-backs more than the linemen. They got sideline to sideline quickly and swarmed the ball carriers similar to SE's defense. I wasn't blown away with Newborg but maybe I'd have to watch more carefully on tape. I figured he would help carve some bigger holes for them on offense. He did have one nice tackle in the backfield to stall an SE drive in WL territory but for his size advantage I expected to see him create a bigger disruption.

I'll be cheering for WL next week too but I think we'll see something similar to the championship game last season. WL should be able to slow Regina down a little on offense but I think it will be hard to go TD for TD with them. They will have to avoid TOs altogether and force several of their own to have a shot.

This has been a very interesting thread. Now that the game is over and the dust settled I'd have to say this is the post where I learned the most
smokin.r191677.gif

CP84 posted on 11/8/2014...

Except that whole part where I was comparing teams with similar playing styles... We will see where it ends up. FDSE finally has an opponent that is worth a darn and you guys get all defensive when someone predicts them to lose... I feel like this is turning into my prediction for DNH to beat WB... Finally worth a darn? You're right FDSE has gotten by really easy this season. They only played in the deepest district in 1A. Per BCMoore's current rankings they've played the #9, #12, #13, #14 and #15 teams. Nobody says you can't have an opinion, we are just wondering what you are basing it on.

BTW You completely attack my analysis yet all you come back with is the same logic I used with a different angle... You have your opinion and I will have mine. Again, you are entitled to your opinion. WL very well could win. I just used your logic as an example to illustrate why I disagree with it. My reason for believing SE is favored is based on what I wrote on my original post. I believe SE has a slightly better run defense and better running back based on seasonal outcomes, which will be crucial in this game. I'm not blasting you for your opinion. We may very well come back after the game and find your opinion beat my prediction. I'm just throwing it out there based on this analysis.

I haven't seen either team and could careless because the state decided to pair the East vs. East and West vs. West when the distance traveled didn't matter... As a result the two best teams are playing in the Semi's in Regina/SW. Just a week ago many others were saying WB was the only team with a legit shot to beat Regina and they got worked by DNH. Without common opponents it's really difficult to make this claim that SW is better than SE and WL.

I've only made four predictions on this board this season:
1. SCC would upset Saint Ansgar (SCC won)
2. IKM would lose to WL (IKM lost)
3. SE vs SCC score would be 34-14 ( final score 35-13)
4. SE will beat WL (TBD)

We'll see if I can keep the streak alive or if I crash and burn and have a dozen people bump this thread to remind me.

I was guessing it was going to be the winner of the Regina-Alburnett game to run the table.

Originally posted by printit:
Blame It: You called it (so far), winner of the West Branch vs Regina game would win it.
Yep.

Perhaps you can use this as a direct quote for the next batch of yard recruitment signs or the ICPC full page ad when it comes time to ask for students again.

You have my permission.

Sorry Blame the signs and ads have been set already, the copy reads 'returning all state, guaranteed enrollment, all others determined by athletic resume'

O'Toole is 175... Sorry but Rozeboom, Moser, and Knobloch will eat him up...
Doubtful. They allowed Central Lyon to run for 208 yards at 7.2 ypc. SE has a better running game.

SE absolutely shut down a top 5 1A halfback in Michael Santi, holding him to 35 yards on 13 carries. Madrid has a big line on offense as well.

WL is obviously better than Madrid overall but Madrid has one of the best running games in the class.

O'Tool will go for 200 in this one barring an injury.

This post was edited on 11/8 2:55 AM by CP84
I will take the under on O'Tool getting 200.

Off the top of my head I cannot think of the last time West Lyon allowed a single back to run for over 200. (Can't remember a back running for over 150)
FYI - O'Tool ended up with 56 yards rushing agianst WL's poor rush defense.

O'Toole is 175... Sorry but Rozeboom, Moser, and Knobloch will eat him up...
Doubtful. They allowed Central Lyon to run for 208 yards at 7.2 ypc. SE has a better running game.

SE absolutely shut down a top 5 1A halfback in Michael Santi, holding him to 35 yards on 13 carries. Madrid has a big line on offense as well.

WL is obviously better than Madrid overall but Madrid has one of the best running games in the class.

O'Tool will go for 200 in this one barring an injury.

This post was edited on 11/8 2:55 AM by CP84
I will take the under on O'Tool getting 200.

Off the top of my head I cannot think of the last time West Lyon allowed a single back to run for over 200. (Can't remember a back running for over 150)
FYI - O'Tool ended up with 56 yards rushing agianst WL's poor rush defense.
That's a straw man, I never said they had a poor rush defense. They made it to the Dome for a reason and I predicted they would beat IKM the week before. They were 6th in 1A with fewest points allowed going into the Dome so they couldn't be considered poor. Congratulations on your prediction this week. I was wrong and I've admitted it several times.

I figured both teams would give up more yards and break open a few more long runs. I thought we would see a game with the combined score >50 total points. It's atypical to see a high school game where there are not any scoring plays greater than 50 yards. Defense won the day. Some people might say that's boring football but I thought it was an awesome game. Up until the last drive following the INT in the endzone that put the game away, both teams had

Just adding some playful banter to the thread. FWIW FDSE was the best defense WL has seen all year. They were great tacklers and were fundamentally sound.

It was great defense by both sides. If you take O'Toole's early TD out of the stats he only managed 30yds on 20 carries.
That sums it up. SE has done extremely well by using a very limited playbook and then focusing on near perfect execution of those few plays.

They did well with that strategy until they ran into a defense the likes of WL this year or Regina last year. Too few options and no viable Plan B.

Not trying to throw gas on a fire which is starting to smolder out but SE did not do everything they could to get this team (and future teams) into their best position for success. SE had multiple opportunities during the season to move Bocken elsewhere and get his understudy valuable experience passing the ball. This could have been done in some games when they were up by 2-3 touchdowns (but still clearly in control) and would have avoided anyone from accusing them of trying to run up a score if they would have waited till continuous clock was in play. They could have gone back to the run if the passing game wasn't developed enough and they desired to score more. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Instead the coaching staff decided to stick with what they think works the best.

The whole argument that working on a passing game this year would have been a waste of time since they wouldn't have gotten any further in the playoffs is a very nearsighted view for the SE program. SE will need to throw the ball more going forward and whether a few of their fans care to admit it or not, SE badly failed to take advantage of these opportunities this year.

Trying to develope a throwing game in the dome won't work; neither will throwing long balls up for grabs to athletic receivers. Too little...too late.

This post was edited on 11/17 1:09 PM by stickman80

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT