ADVERTISEMENT

Which semifinal game are you most excited about?

i would like to see both.....hopefully i can see it at work..smartphone hopefully....or hot spot my laptop off smartphone at work...

Solon/Xavier is what I’m excited to watch, but I think I know what those two teams are. I’m probably more interested in seeing how Harlan does against Pella.

If Harlan can win by matching up with Pella’s athletes and proving they are physical on the line then I will be very interested in the championship on the 16th. If not, then I think the winner of Solon/Xavier is the eventual champion.

Solon/Xavier is what I’m excited to watch, but I think I know what those two teams are. I’m probably more interested in seeing how Harlan does against Pella.

If Harlan can win by matching up with Pella’s athletes and proving they are physical on the line then I will be very interested in the championship on the 16th. If not, then I think the winner of Solon/Xavier is the eventual champion.
So not understanding the logic here? If Harlan doesn't match up to Pella then Pella vs Solon/Xavier is a lock for the East? Even though Pella played them both last year.....Xavier returned 2 people and Solon has roughly the same returners as Pella. I think one of the teams in the East isn't as good as people are giving them credit for. But I will certainly be watching both games.

Also, look at Solon’s JR Linebackers #7 and #32. Solon and Pella may have returned roughly the same amount, but if Pella has newcomers that look/contribute like that I would be shocked. The QB and a top receiver are sophomores, and a top rusher is a Junior as well (according to QuikStats).

Good semi-final matchups. All four teams won convincingly so right teams are in.
I like Solon over Xavier in a thriller.
Pella over Harlan in a defensive battle thriller.

The way Harlan is playing right now, they'll more than match up with Pella. Of course, Harlan isn't at home & it remains to be seen how well they play away from home.

Last edited:
Not to knock Harlan, because being a final four team is a great accomplishment that proves they are a good team, but until Harlan can prove themselves on Thursday I give Pella a very large edge.

When is the last time Harlan played a team that can truly say they’re on the same level of Pella’s athleticism and talent? I’ll give them physicality, even though I wonder what team they’ve played that has been on that level too, but let’s just base this on athleticism and talent.

Over the last couple of years the East side teams have had a different level of athleticism and talent, outside of Heelan 4 years ago. I don’t think Harlan has faced this type of team in a long time, and until they show that they’ve been able to somehow simulate that look in practice for the last 5+ years, I have to assume they’re in for quite the eye opener on Thursday.

I’m not against Harlan. I genuinely hope they prove me to be very wrong because that’s what is best for Iowa High School Football, but I cant assume it’ll be a good game just because the name Harlan was on the championship trophy in 2009 and many times before then. They’ve played a bad District 1 in the playoffs so far and thats it. You can say they played a good Lewis Central team fairly close, but they beat Lewis Central in 2015 and lost first round to Creston. LC was a quarterfinal team that year.

I get it... 3rd string QB... 1st string QB now... good team... foss... bladt... hoch...

Solon will easily win it all. They will win by at least 17 points in their last two games. Having played against Pella, Solon, and Xavier this year I would rank Solon first and Pella second. Solon's front seven have the physicality of a college team and they just beat you up. It will be a Pella/Solon final.

the cyclones offer pella with a very tough defense, and probable one of the best backs in the state this year....i got to go with the cyclones.. they are playing possessed...cyclones will feed the beast , foss the ball, and occasionaly pass...if you give foss the ball enough, he will sooner or later break one ....just too good...i think foss should make all -state iback this year

Last edited:
Solon will easily win it all. They will win by at least 17 points in their last two games. Having played against Pella, Solon, and Xavier this year I would rank Solon first and Pella second. Solon's front seven have the physicality of a college team and they just beat you up. It will be a Pella/Solon final.
I agree that Solon is probably the team to beat this year, but I don't think it will be as easy as you state. You played Pella the first game of the year and this is not the same Pella team you played. Just ask a very good DCG team. Pella still has to Harlan, which will not be easy!

pella sort of reminds me harlan in the past, just reload and another great year...i just cannot figure out what happen to grinnell....they use to be very good evey year, but seem to have lost it.???what happen to that program?

Both games are very interesting. Never know what will happen in the dome.

Doubt if Harlan has played a team (other then LC) as physical as Pella. Pella has improved immensely over the year as they were awfully inexperienced at the beginning of the season. Saw both DCG games and they were night and day different. Pella is so much more physical now. DCG is very good, big, and physical. But, Pella controlled the line of scrimmage including rushing for over 200 yards, even when DCG knew they were going to run it to milk the clock. Pella rushed for 15 yards the first time they played.

Doubt if Harlan can just line up and run the ball down Pella’s throat. Webster City and DCG had trouble getting first downs, let alone TD’s.

Both games are very interesting. Never know what will happen in the dome.

Doubt if Harlan has played a team (other then LC) as physical as Pella. Pella has improved immensely over the year as they were awfully inexperienced at the beginning of the season. Saw both DCG games and they were night and day different. Pella is so much more physical now. DCG is very good, big, and physical. But, Pella controlled the line of scrimmage including rushing for over 200 yards, even when DCG knew they were going to run it to milk the clock. Pella rushed for 15 yards the first time they played.

Doubt if Harlan can just line up and run the ball down Pella’s throat. Webster City and DCG had trouble getting first downs, let alone TD’s.
see what happens....harlan is huge on the offensive line, have you seen there starting lineup...bigger than some college programs..harlan beat sbl not with foss so much since there were keying on him, the pass, fullback and qb rand some too...the defense for harlan is the key all year...really good ...cyclone coach was impressed with pella, should be a good one....is there video on this game, live..i want to watch it?????

I have no doubt that they are big. Big doesn’t mean a lot to me in high school football though as their are lots of 250 to 300 lb guys out there who really aren’t all that good. I’m not saying that is the case with Harlan at all. I haven’t seen any film of Harlan, but they have to be a very good team to make it to the dome.

Pella actually runs quite a lot of wildcat formation, sometimes with a power back and sometimes with Van Zee, who is very fast. Has been very effective, especially in the second half of games when the other team’s D is getting wore down, such as at DCG last Friday. The Pella offense gives the other team’s D a lot to prepare for. They should give Harlan’s D a decent challenge.

I have no doubt that they are big. Big doesn’t mean a lot to me in high school football though as their are lots of 250 to 300 lb guys out there who really aren’t all that good. I’m not saying that is the case with Harlan at all. I haven’t seen any film of Harlan, but they have to be a very good team to make it to the dome.

Pella actually runs quite a lot of wildcat formation, sometimes with a power back and sometimes with Van Zee, who is very fast. Has been very effective, especially in the second half of games when the other team’s D is getting wore down, such as at DCG last Friday. The Pella offense gives the other team’s D a lot to prepare for. They should give Harlan’s D a decent challenge.
See what happens Thursday. Will be watching live stream of game. Since I live in phoenix.....on one site i watched sbl vs glenwood, and also watch lewis central vs valley....valley took that loss hard, but lewis central was really good this year

Last edited:
Good semi-final matchups. All four teams won convincingly so right teams are in.
I like Solon over Xavier in a thriller.
Pella over Harlan in a defensive battle thriller.

I'm not sure Xavier fans' blood pressure could survive losing another semifinal thriller after last year.

Considering both Solon and Xavier are playing pretty salty defense, you might expect a total of 10 points scored in that game. Which naturally means it'll turn into a 45-42 shootout instead ...

Reactions: obfuscating
Over the last couple of years the East side teams have had a different level of athleticism and talent, outside of Heelan 4 years ago.

This is an interesting point. Hasn't Pella been bracketed on the East side the past three years? I know for a fact they were in 2014 and 2016 (beating Xavier in both those semifinals). Having Pella go West this year just essentially means this year's semifinal has three recent historically East teams ... and Harlan.

Pella-Xavier or Pella-Solon sounds a lot like a semifinal matchup, not a championship game. Just going by the past three years, anyway.

I'm not sure Xavier fans' blood pressure could survive losing another semifinal thriller after last year.

Considering both Solon and Xavier are playing pretty salty defense, you might expect a total of 10 points scored in that game. Which naturally means it'll turn into a 45-42 shootout instead ...
I don't think Solon has faced a great passing team. I still have questions on how good West Del really was. So if the Oline can buy Schulte some time, I think they could have some success. Pass defense was definitely the weak spot for Solon last year. Xavier running the ball will be a challenge. They have some good athletes in the backfield, but they don't have a back like Wilson this year, not sure their fullback is as talented either, if they are still running that formation. Quarterback is a good athlete, but does not have the experience his brother had to keep his cool under pressure. Could be a flashback to the 2014 semi against Pella when Bryce Schulte was a sophomore and Pella's defense was stout like Solon's this year.

Solon shut out Mt. Vernon and Drew Adams. Adams has thrown the most touchdowns in the history of Iowa High School Football.
Agreed, Hockenson also broke records for receiving at Chariton but wouldn't of called them a great passing team, just a team that could only pass. Schulte passing completion 62% versus Drew's 52%. Way more attempts at MV, but not sure I would say MV playing same level of competition. I know you are in love with Solon, but I am sure they have some weaknesses.

I'm not saying the pass defense is a strength, and I completely agree with your points about Adams throwing more devaluing his TD stats. I also agree that they certainly have to have some weaknesses. I'm simply just trying to throw out an example of a passing team, for discussion, that Solon has faced this year. You said they haven't faced a great passing team, so I looked to either support that or give an alternative angle. Solon's linebackers and the Iowa comitt impress me, not quite in love ;), but certainly were very good when I watched. Xavier impressed me Friday with how complete they are in all parts of the game. Their kids play harder for 4 quarters than I've seen any team play this year and their defense is relentless. I expect Xavier's defene to win that side of the ball.

I don't think Schulte will pass a ton on Solon, but only because they're too well coached to do something they don't do routinely. Xavier will do what they always do and I think they are coached well enough to have some real success running the ball. They have a lot of options as far as which gap they want to attack so I won't be surprised if they give Solon some big issues. Solon plays downhill in your face; but I think Xavier will use that to their advantage with misdirection, play action, and Schulte running the ball off of reads and fakes.

I'm kind of torn about this game. The experience of playing in the Dome and the hunger that has to come with coming short last year makes me lean Xavier's way right now. So I'm partial to some of Solon's defensive front, but in a complete picture I would lean towards the experience.

I'm not saying the pass defense is a strength, and I completely agree with your points about Adams throwing more devaluing his TD stats. I also agree that they certainly have to have some weaknesses. I'm simply just trying to throw out an example of a passing team, for discussion, that Solon has faced this year. You said they haven't faced a great passing team, so I looked to either support that or give an alternative angle. Solon's linebackers and the Iowa comitt impress me, not quite in love ;), but certainly were very good when I watched. Xavier impressed me Friday with how complete they are in all parts of the game. Their kids play harder for 4 quarters than I've seen any team play this year and their defense is relentless. I expect Xavier's defene to win that side of the ball.

I don't think Schulte will pass a ton on Solon, but only because they're too well coached to do something they don't do routinely. Xavier will do what they always do and I think they are coached well enough to have some real success running the ball. They have a lot of options as far as which gap they want to attack so I won't be surprised if they give Solon some big issues. Solon plays downhill in your face; but I think Xavier will use that to their advantage with misdirection, play action, and Schulte running the ball off of reads and fakes.

I'm kind of torn about this game. The experience of playing in the Dome and the hunger that has to come with coming short last year makes me lean Xavier's way right now. So I'm partial to some of Solon's defensive front, but in a complete picture I would lean towards the experience.

I can follow that. Although, I am also always skeptical of claims on experience with Xavier since they usually only have 3 or 4 returners each year and those are usually playing different positions than previously. They definitely will have some extra determination lingering from last year's loss. They are well coached, but I am not sure you can knock any coaching out of the 4 teams this year.

Reactions: IowaHSFootballFan
This is an interesting point. Hasn't Pella been bracketed on the East side the past three years? I know for a fact they were in 2014 and 2016 (beating Xavier in both those semifinals). Having Pella go West this year just essentially means this year's semifinal has three recent historically East teams ... and Harlan.

Pella-Xavier or Pella-Solon sounds a lot like a semifinal matchup, not a championship game. Just going by the past three years, anyway.
harlan played pella in the past...i thought it was a championship game..i have the dvd, ,,,going to find it and see

Both Solon and Xavier have excellent coaching staffs and obviously very strong defenses...pretty much a wash in both of those departments. Which team has the most talent in your opinion?...when coaching is equal and both teams have stout defenses, it will normally come down to who has the better playmakers. Pella's wide receivers last year ended up proving to be the difference in the semifinal against Xavier. Which team has the better playmakers on offense?

When I look at these teams the individuals that stand out are Xavier’s QB Schulte #5, LB Burger #4, and RB Stovie #40, and TE/DE Hines #35. The stats show they want to run the football, but can pass when they need to. There are 5 receivers with over 100 yards and over 11 yards per catch, which I think points back to Schulte’s ability to deliver the ball through the air when needed.

Schulte is their guy offensively with the most carries and touchdowns. He’s clearly a competitor and plays very hard on both sides of the ball. Something I think has become quite obvious of any of Coach Schulte’s boys over the years.

Stovie is certainly a playmaker that just seems to get it done when the ball is in his hands. Scored twice on punt returns last week and also ran for 116 yards. I think he’s actually the backup RB but is starting due to #33 Junge being out with an injury. They don’t seem to miss a beat with him back there full-time now, though.

Burger seems to be all over the field on defense. Total ballhawk that wants to get after the offense. He’s a stud and really seems like the leader of the defense. He’s the type of kid I’d expect to see more of on offense, but I can also understand wanting him full-go on defense. You won’t miss him Thursday night if you’re watching.

Hines comes off as a blue collar get after it for 4 quarters type of player. He demands attention on the defensive line but is also a playmaker at TE or when he’s split out. Him and Burger play very fast on their defensive front. Two players that any team, regardless of class, would want playing for them.

Solon has quite a few players that stand out. The QB Miller #5, two RBs, two WRs and the Center Linderbaum #65 stand out offensively. Defensively the two inside LBs Flansburg #7 and Bock #32, and the DL Linderbaum #65.

Miller is very efficient and knows how to run the offense. He mainly throws to Coons #81 and Bandy #2, both of which are big time playmakers and over 6’3”. Bandy had 3 touchdown catches against Pella in the Quarterfinal last year. Coons, like Miller, is a stud sophomore that is very athletic (brothers with last year’s senior and current Iowa TE Jake Coons.)

The RBs (#24 and #28) both have just under 900 yards rushing and both have 10 TDs. I saw #28 break huge runs off against Regina and #24 is a returning starter that has more than proven himself as a playmaker on both sides of the ball.

The real standouts are the defensive players, though. I can use QuikStats to tell you about those offensive guys, but when I watched Solon the Linebackers and Linderbaum are men amongst boys. Linderbaum is an Army All-American and Flansburg #7 visited Iowa last weekend for the OSU game (per Hawkeye Report). Bock #32 leads the team in tackles and flew all over the field, while Flansburg and Linderbaum made Regina, Washington and Decorah kids pay the price for coming up the middle when I watched them this year. Flansburg is all of probably 235LBs and he plays with very bad intentions. You’ll notice him right away on Thursday.

I’m still torn on who to pick for this game but I will decide before the game starts and I’ll let you guys know. When I look at it from a playmaker standpoint, Solon certainly seems to have the upper hand; but I think Xavier is and always has epitomized the team cohesiveness needed for successful football teams, with maybe 2 or 3 standout guys, but they always find a way to play as a very solid unit.

Hopefully that explains my view on these teams having seen them a couple times this year. I’m very excited to get up there Thursday to watch both semifinal games!

It isn't always the best team, but who's playing their best ball at the end. One thing I'd pay attention to is who of the final four, if anyone, had to go on the road for either of their first two games. Harlan, for example, did not for either game and that could conceivably leave them at a disadvantage against someone who did. But their coaching really stands out in this group, which could negate that.

The harlan tribune today had an article in regards to the Pella vs harlan matchup,interesting. Coach blast stated that the 4 teams in The final 4 all have had a storied past, got to agree with that . There are some other teams such as Heelan that belong in that group, but the final 4teams have had an interesting and very successful past.. it’s hard to argue against that,believe Xavier have won 4a title

Last edited:
Here is the history of these 4 programs since 2000 (I think 2000 is the year most of the seniors who are playing tomorrow were likely born)

HARLAN
3A
4 Championships (2003, 2004, 2005, 2009)
2 Runner-Up (2000, 2001)
1 Semifinalist (2011)

Curt Bladt Harlan Career: 407-59 (39 years)

PELLA
3A
3 Championships (2014, 2015, 2016)
1 Runner Up (2009)
3 Semifinalist (2003, 2008, 2010)

Jay McKinstrey Pella Career: 190-49 (20 years)

SOLON
2A
3 Championships (2007, 2008, 2009)
3 Runner-Up (2000, 2003, 2006)
3A
1 Championship (2010)
1 Semifinalist (2013)

Kevin Miller Solon Career: 169-31 (15 years)

XAVIER
4A
1 Championship (2006)
2 Runner-Up (2012, 2013)
1 Semifinalist (2009)
3A
2 Semifinalist (2014, 2016)

Duane Schulte Xavier Career: 151-65 (19 years)

Last edited:
thanks iowahighschoolfootball fan.....that is some resume by the 4 teams to say the least. i was sort of surprised by the success each team had. i got to agree with the one post, you cannot agrue the coaching success each team represents, wow.

Reactions: astahle10
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT