ADVERTISEMENT

Week Eight Football Rankings (10/8)

His words were 1,000+ per class
Yep - meant per classification (1A, 2A, 3A, 4A). When you add each of the grade levels that tells you what "class" or "classification" you will be seated in.

725x3 = 2175
64x3 = 192
115x3 = 345

So yep - 1000+ more kids per "classification" to be clear.

Swing and miss - I am a Solon fan.

I would put Regina and Mt. Vernon against any of those 3A teams you list and it would be a hell of a game. No it is not the same argument, you are talking the difference of 200 kids per class to 1000+ per class - BIG difference.

Pella coach said that to our coaches. Go watch the hudl against Pella. Pella had 42yds rushing in the game - they had to pass.

They played as Soph's, didn't start - if you are comparing anyone to Morris you are going to pale in comparison (other than Jewell).

so you don't think guys develop from Soph to Jr year - not sure what you think happens.

Adam - http://www.hudl.com/profile/8353077/adam-bock

Coal - http://www.hudl.com/profile/7322869/coal-flansburg

Interestingly, these guys are both listed as SRs and last year were Jrs. Again, I am not arguing that they are aren't good/don't improve from last year, but both of them were in the lower part of the tackle chart last year......thus not starters....., when I look at the stats I am not looking at total tackles because that number is subjective to the measuring scheme of the coaches. But relative to their team, they were low. Agree I haven't watched them, however it would be abnormal for 2 guys who didn't start last year to be mopping up people all season. It could happen, but not likely. It certainly is an advantage with Linderbaum, because he could make any LB look good.

Swing and miss - I am a Solon fan.

I would put Regina and Mt. Vernon against any of those 3A teams you list and it would be a hell of a game. No it is not the same argument, you are talking the difference of 200 kids per class to 1000+ per class - BIG difference.

Pella coach said that to our coaches. Go watch the hudl against Pella. Pella had 42yds rushing in the game - they had to pass.

They played as Soph's, didn't start - if you are comparing anyone to Morris you are going to pale in comparison (other than Jewell).

so you don't think guys develop from Soph to Jr year - not sure what you think happens.

Adam - http://www.hudl.com/profile/8353077/adam-bock

Coal - http://www.hudl.com/profile/7322869/coal-flansburg

What high school in Iowa has 1000 kids in a class?

In the discussion about "Xavier or Pella hanging with Dowling"....Dowling is a small 4A school....maybe 300 in a class. So the difference in enrollment isn't that great, and wouldn't be the reason they couldn't hang with Dowling (I'm not convinced they couldn't). Keep in mind that no school--regardless of classification--has been able to stay with Dowling this year.

Interestingly, these guys are both listed as SRs and last year were Jrs. Again, I am not arguing that they are aren't good/don't improve from last year, but both of them were in the lower part of the tackle chart last year......thus not starters..... Agree I haven't watched them, however it would be abnormal for 2 guys who didn't start last year to be mopping up people all season. It could happen, but not likely. It certainly is an advantage with Linderbaum, because he could make any LB look good.

Both LBs Hudl pages that volknut posted say Class of 2019. That makes them both Juniors. Again - never trust QuikStats.

Reactions: volknut
In the discussion about "Xavier or Pella hanging with Dowling"....Dowling is a small 4A school....maybe 300 in a class. So the difference in enrollment isn't that great, and wouldn't be the reason they couldn't hang with Dowling (I'm not convinced they couldn't). Keep in mind that no school--regardless of classification--has been able to stay with Dowling this year.
Dowling has 356 I believe per class - and it isn't just every jo blow off the street. They are private in a metro, enough said.

Interestingly, these guys are both listed as SRs and last year were Jrs. Again, I am not arguing that they are aren't good/don't improve from last year, but both of them were in the lower part of the tackle chart last year......thus not starters....., when I look at the stats I am not looking at total tackles because that number is subjective to the measuring scheme of the coaches. But relative to their team, they were low. Agree I haven't watched them, however it would be abnormal for 2 guys who didn't start last year to be mopping up people all season. It could happen, but not likely. It certainly is an advantage with Linderbaum, because he could make any LB look good.
Did you watch the Hudl film?

Dowling has 356 I believe per class - and it isn't just every jo blow off the street. They are private in a metro, enough said.

Yes. As the ONLY private school in a metro area of around 500-750K population, enrollment numbers are almost irrelevant to their success. Their classes could be 156 (making them, technically, a 3A school) and they would still be the best team in the state. This is true of just about any private school in a large metro area. But you were the one who cited enrollment differences in your post.

Technically, Dowling isn't the only private school in the DM area. But I doubt that the likes of Ankeny Christian or DM Christian would pull football athletes away from Dowling any more than Siouxland Christian would from Heelan.

Last edited:
Yes. As the ONLY private school in a metro area of around 500-750K population, enrollment numbers are almost irrelevant to their success. Their classes could be 156 (making them, technically, a 3A school) and they would still be the best team in the state. This is true of just about any private school in a large metro area. But you were the one who cited enrollment differences in your post.

Technically, Dowling isn't the only private school in the DM area. But I doubt that the likes of Ankeny Christian or DM Christian would pull football athletes away from Dowling any more than Siouxland Christian would from Heelan.
I clarified my "classification"...

Technically, Dowling isn't the only private school in the DM area. But I doubt that the likes of Ankeny Christian or DM Christian would pull football athletes away from Dowling any more that Siouxland Christian would from Heelan.

With open enrollment probably the surrounding public non DM schools would draw more athletes away especially if the kids wanted to participate in sports but could not cross the higher bar of Dowling and some of the other 4A schools. For every kid who open enrolls into a 4A or elite private program there are also others who do the opposite....we just never hear about them.

With open enrollment probably the surrounding public non DM schools would draw more athletes away especially if the kids wanted to participate in sports but could not cross the higher bar of Dowling and some of the other 4A schools. For every kid who open enrolls into a 4A or elite private program there are also others who do the opposite....we just never hear about them.

Yeah. Heelan had a kid who was on the team last year transfer to East because he would be more likely to get PT. And they had a kid come in this year (from North, I believe) because he wanted to play in a good program. And he's a starter. The latter example is definitely more publicized.

Go figure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT