ADVERTISEMENT

Underclassmen who will play at the next level ( D-II, FSC FBS)

westside rules

Freshman
Gold Member
Aug 30, 2016
What current Juniors or Sophomores can or will play at the next level? Who do you think and what level they will play at?

2 guys come to mind out of Dubuque area, Samuel schnee from senior, very explosive running back. The other is only going to be a junior out of western Dubuque Drake George at wide reciever, I watched him play 3 times this year and all I'm saying is he has potential i was very impressed

Reactions: NGeorge15
Jevon Mason RB Valley, Jensen Gates RB Centennial and Jake Morrison DE Waukee are Allstate football players that are getting football AND baseball looks.....Mason as a centerfielder, Gates as middle infielder, Morrison as pitcher/1st base. All 3 are juniors.

From the west 3A/4A in no particular order:
Living in S.C. I'm not aware of anyone currently being looked at as an Underclassmen, Flemister is a senior at East and will play at the next level. I also need to mention Saybein Clark of Heelan and Sanders of Glenwood both 3A players but worthy of mentioning,. Also a D-1 player from Creston named Downing who is an all state linemen.

4A
  • Baker T.J only s sophomore 2nd team all state but already getting attention from FCS Schools as a RB, also a good wrestler at 220 but was told it's most likely football for him over wrestling.
  • Duggan of LC who has offers from Iowa and Iowa State and I'm sure will add more over the years, also was told he's a good baseball player but most likely football is his future
  • Theobald of LC All-State 1st team DSM as a junior will play at the FCS or higher, was told he might go baseball in college.

Last edited:
Dowling has a D-End and Guard that have been offered by the hawkeyes thus far

DSMan the 2 guys you're talking about I think are the same guys that DSM Sportsfan called out earlier in one of his post ( see below). Ross and Waggoner

I was asked to put together a team of 5 offensive and 5 defensive players to build a team around for the 2017 season. With the exception of one player on this list, I have watched each play live and have watched all of them on hudl. I know there are similar players from the East Side of Iowa so someone provide us some names we can check out on hudl. My plan next year is to try and view both west and east players provided the drive is manageable.
I have attached a link to Hudl if the players had Hudl set up, it may or may-not work... If not go to hudl and take a look.

Offense Team to Build Around (5)

Duggan (QB) LC
http://www.hudl.com/profile/6143073/max-duggan

He would be the leader of my offense, a dual threat players that combines a great arm with excellent football speed. I expect big things from him next year as he matures and further develops into the qb position. One of many things things I love about this kid is the moment never seemed too big for him. Duggan played great against top caliber teams (Valley and Ankeny) Obvisouly I was never in the huddle but I have the opinion he’s a leader and can carry a team a long way. Duggan is a QB to build around in 2017

Ross (OL) Dowling 6-3 295
http://www.hudl.com/profile/4442979/zach-ross

Any couch would love a horse up front to protect his QB and open holes to establish the run game. If you've ever watched Dowling warm up there are a few players you take note of, one of them is Ross. The state was full of great linemen ( both west and east side) I would put Ross in the mix with the best and certainly one of the top returners for next year. I really like his run blocking, he needs to continue to work on his foot work/pass protection especially for the next level (or if Dowling is required to throw more next year) Ross has a D-1 frame at 6-3 and nearly 300 pounds, who would not want a guy like Ross anchoring your O-Line.

Mason ( Valley) RB

I expect really big things from Mason next year as he carries much of the load for a Valley Team that has holes to fill. Like Duggan, Mason is a dual threat player with excellent hands ( 300 yards receiving in the regular season) and breakaway speed carrying the ball ( 800 yards rushing in regular season). He is one of those players that finds the end zone ( 19 TD’s if memory serves me right/ regular season). Watch out next season, his stats will go up significantly as he become the feature back. What jumped out at me with Mason is how he bounces off tackles, this kid plays much bigger than his height and weight listed on the program. Every team would love to have a player that can take it to the house on any touch, Mason is that kind of back.

Mosley ( Fort Dodge) Rec

http://www.hudl.com/profile/4376223/trey-mosley

One of the top receivers in the State, has the speed to get to the end-zone on any touch ( 7 times with a long of 78 yards) . Top tier receiver in both catches 1st in 4A and total yards 4th in 4A while averaging 11.7 yards a reception, I regret I have not watched Mosely play but it’s on my bucket list for next season. Few teams have this kind of threat but every team certainly wants one!

Hill ( Ankeny)

If you’ve read my list throughout the year you know how much I appreciate Hill. 2016 State Leader in TD’s (10) with an impressive 19.3 yards per catch. Electrifying, has excellent front end speed along with the moves to make defenders miss in open space. I’m not sure Hill realized how good he would be this year, next year he will play with added confidence as he accepts the fact that he’s a “special player”. In addition to what he bring on the offensive side of the ball Hill can also return punts and kickoffs and play a little defense when needed. You can go deep in the post season and build a very good team around a player like Hill.

Defense Team to Build Around (5)

Waggoner (Dowling) 6-5 225 DE

http://www.hudl.com/profile/5273341/john-waggoner

I have watched Waggoner play live on a few occasions, what I love is his discipline. I don’t recall him once being out of position or getting burned, you need someone who is a leader and Waggoner is that guy. At 6-5 he has excellent leverage and creates a tough match up for opposing linemen. Waggoner can cause his fair share of disruption as well, when he pins his ears back he’s a very good pass rusher with great leverage. As I stated in previously post he needs to get stronger which I’m certain he will before next year. A great kid to build a defense around with a bright future.

Theobald ( LC) 6-2 230 DE
http://www.hudl.com/profile/4284689/dane-theobald/videos

He and Waggoner both play the edge however they are different styles of players. In my opinion Theobald is a better pass rusher (IMO best in 4A that I watched) and Waggoner is better at playing the run, both are top tier H.S. Ends. A combination of Size, Strength and Speed. I’ve watched him 3 times and love his motor and his aggresive style of play. If I’m building a team I want someone who applies pressure all game long, what I witnessed against Ankeny ( 4 or 5 sacks in that game alone)

Baugher Ankeny ( 190 backer)

http://www.hudl.com/profile/5459833/colby-baugher

Any coach would want a player that comes up and plugs the hole and makes the tackle, Baugher is that guy! (4A’s Sate Leader in Tackles with 101). This is a player you can move around and play either inside or outside, and can cover the flats. Like Theobald and Waggoner you can send Baugher will a high level of confidence he’ll get into the backfield and make a play, he recorded 10TFL on the 2016 season. If I’m picking a guy to build around I want a sure tackler, a guy that fly’s all around the field and provides me the luxury to move to multiple positions…Baugher!

Pinegar Cent. 6-3 195)
http://www.hudl.com/profile/4309487/jake-pinegar/about

Love this kid, he has both size and speed at 6-3 195. Excellent cover guy who was 2nd in picks at the 4A level, I want a player that can cover my opponents top receivers and also stop the run and contain the outside, that’s why I selected Pinegar. BTW an added benefit is how athletic he is, you can use him on the offensive side of the ball as a receiver, provides a coach with a lot of different options.

Jackson Roosevelt ( 6-0 200 backer)
http://www.hudl.com/profile/4116613/kendell-jackson

Extremely athletic, again another player that you could move around depending on the situation (85 tackles with 9 for loss and 5 QB sacks along with 2 picks). He is a do-it-all kind of player that I really like. One of the most athletic guys I watched play

It was extremely hard to pick 5 guys as there are so many good players and people could debate the list all night long. This is just my opinion and my response to a request. Now lets add players from the Eastern Iowa to this list.

From the west 3A/4A in no particular order:
Living in S.C. I'm not aware of anyone currently being looked at as an Underclassmen, Flemister is a senior at East and will play at the next level. I also need to mention Saybein Clark of Heelan and Sanders of Glenwood both 3A players but worthy of mentioning,. Also a D-1 player from Creston named Downing who is an all state linemen.

4A
  • Baker T.J only s sophomore 2nd team all state but already getting attention from FCS Schools as a RB, also a good wrestler at 220 but was told it's most likely football for him over wrestling.
  • Duggan of LC who has offers from Iowa and Iowa State and I'm sure will add more over the years, also was told he's a good baseball player but most likely football is his future
  • Theobald of LC All-State 1st team DSM as a junior will play at the FCS or higher, was told he might go baseball in college.
Don't think at this time the Theobald is above D2.

Don't think at this time the Theobald is above D2.

Glad to see some of us are getting back into HS Football, what a sport! Signing day is just around the corner, will be interesting to see where guys I watched end up. In response to the earlier post and the topic in general.

Theobald
watched him and Duggan 3 times last year against very good DSM City Teams, they both played at a high level against Urbandale, Valley and Ank. I would disagree with you, in my opinion he is FCS (+). Not sure what side of the ball he ends up playing or position he plays at the next level.

Hill from Ank will play at the D-2 Level and at a good quality program. size hurts him a bit but someone may overlook that...they should he's explosive. One of my favorite returns for next year.

Ross and Waggoner: D-1 no question

Roosevelt Someone should take a chance on him..FCS. I hear somewhere he is on ISU radar. FCS (+)

Mason: Good quality D-2 Program, needs to have a good year this year as the feature player in Valley's offense, if so he may go FCS with his speed.

Last edited:
Saybein Clark of Heelan is a stud and plays D-1 Maybe Iowa

Sanders of Glenwood I hear is the real deal, a local said he may be the best since the Davis Kid that played at Iowa. quality D-1 School not FCS

Creston, Downing, Power Conference.

Duggan CBLC Power Conference

Saybein Clark of Heelan is a stud and plays D-1 Maybe Iowa

Sanders of Glenwood I hear is the real deal, a local said he may be the best since the Davis Kid that played at Iowa. quality D-1 School not FCS

Creston, Downing, Power Conference.

Duggan CBLC Power Conference
Theobold is getting a lot of interest from FCS programs like USD, North Dakota State, North Dakota and South Dakota State. He has also heard from D2 North West Mo. State where his brother plays.

Duggan as previously mentioned has offers from South Dakota State, Iowa and Iowa State. Apparently his recent visitors to school have included Farentz/Iowa, Morgan/Iowa, Campbell/ISU, Golesh/ISU, an assistant from North Dakota State and the Assistant O.C from Oklahoma. It is also been said he has been contacted by U. of S. Cal, Notre Dame and Wyoming.

Theobold is getting a lot of interest from FCS programs like USD, North Dakota State, North Dakota and South Dakota State. He has also heard from D2 North West Mo. State where his brother plays.

Duggan as previously mentioned has offers from South Dakota State, Iowa and Iowa State. Apparently his recent visitors to school have included Farentz/Iowa, Morgan/Iowa, Campbell/ISU, Golesh/ISU, an assistant from North Dakota State and the Assistant O.C from Oklahoma. It is also been said he has been contacted by U. of S. Cal, Notre Dame and Wyoming.

Thanks for sharing, I agree with you and it's exciting to hear who is looking at whom. I follow Western Iowa, primarily 4A I'm interested seeing where Felmister Lands as well.

I would love to see Duggan stay in state and be a Hawkeye. His teammate Theobold can play FCS for sure, I could see him landing at a number of Valley Schools or a Wyoming like.

You seem to be close to the program, any insight on what their coaches are saying about either of them? Level they think Theobald plays at? Will Duggan be a power 5 player?

Any news on the Glenwood or Creston players? Sanders or Downing? Anyone else we're missing from Southwestern Iowa?

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing, I agree with you and it's exciting to hear who is looking at whom. I follow Western Iowa, primarily 4A I'm interested seeing where Felmister Lands as well.

I would love to see Duggan stay in state and be a Hawkeye. His teammate Theobold can play FCS for sure, I could see him landing at a number of Valley Schools or a Wyoming like.

You seem to be close to the program, any insight on what their coaches are saying about either of them? Level they think Theobald plays at? Will Duggan be a power 5 player?

Any news on the Glenwood or Creston players? Sanders or Downing? Anyone else we're missing from Southwestern Iowa?
My information is usually 2nd or 3rd hand and not from coaches, but I think it comes from pretty reliable sources. My guess about where they end up and from following a number of former athletes get recruited from this metro area would be that teams recruiting Theobold are on target and Duggan with his ability to run and throw will be a heavily recruited Power 5 Q.B.

A number of other local Council Bluffs names that also keep coming up are Cameron Baker/CBTJ and Josh Simmons/CBLC, both 2019 grads with excellent talent; and Matt Fagan/CBSA a 2018 O Lineman with a big frame and great feet.

Best be watching the Class of 2020 as well. Class of 2020 SE Polk's Gavin Williams visited ISU last week. Pictures all over facebook with him and Coach Campbell wearing a #21 ISU jersey the coach had made for him. He has an unofficial (NCAA standards) offer to play for the Cyclones. When was the last time THAT happened?! Keep your eyes peeled for more Class of 2020 recruiting action. A number of these young men were on Team IOWA which were named National Champions at the NUC in Vegas as 8th graders in 2015. List of the kids named to the All Tournament Team from Iowa (Williams did not play on Team Iowa that year, but had in previous years) includes the following:

Creighton Mitchell--transferred from Mount Pleasant to Valley midway through his 8th grade year, saw a bit of playing time for Valley Varsity in 2016. A freshmen? Unheard of. Speedy.

Gabe Ante--Story City home-schooled kid open enrolled at Ames before freshmen year, saw lots of playing time as a freshmen for Ames both sides of the ball. First kid since Fred Hoiberg at Ames in early 1990s to start Varsity football as a freshman. 6th in the history of the school to letter as a freshman.

Juan Sandoval--starting Varsity kicker at Lincoln as a FRESHMAN.

Can't wait to see what happens when Varsity coaches see some of the other super stars come fall.

Thanks For the names. Team Iowa has had a lot of success over the years. First in FBU then down to NUC. It's great for Iowa kids to be exposed to national competition at a young age in football just as they have been in baseball and basketball for many years.

Not sure if Tyler Endres was mentioned above but he is obviously going to a high level D1 program.

Hope the best for all kids mentioned and many more.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adidasfootball
Updated as best I can, I am getting information from Coaches or asking locals at Western Iowa Track Meets, I assume it's fairly accurate as I seem to be getting the same answers from different sources;

Saybein Clark ( Heelan) Iowa & Iowa State offers. NDSU interest. He should pick up additional offers after summer camps

Fagen- ( CBSA) went of official visits to Wyoming but primarily M Valley interest. No offers yet but a lot of interest.

Baker (Jefferson C.B.) Not hearing much, will update once I hear more

Sanders ( Glenwood) I was told he likes Iowa and was invited to their Spring Game, also has interest within the MO Valley.

Theobald ( CBLC) Interest within the Mo Valley/Big Sky, many of the same schools looking at Sanders/Fagen Attended Jr Day Visits, forgot to ask where.

Duggan ( CBLC) all kinds of interest from Power 5 Conf Schools. Iowa/Iowa State/Minn to name a few...plenty more to come (2 years of H.S. left to play)

Downing ( Creston) Offers from Missouri/ Iowa/ Iowa State/ Kansas State and I believe Minnesota. Was told the list will continue to grow over the summer.

I'm sure there our more so please update us if you have more insight or additional names to add. Obviously mine or limited to Western Iowa and 3A-4A with the exception of the Fagen boy from CB

Last edited:
Reactions: Adidasfootball
I will say it just as i did with boyle. Not a d1 QB. When your highlight film starts off with numerous running plays. Good kid, good player but not a D1 QB
Duggan already has offers from Iowa, Iowa State, Minnesota, North Carolina and Kansas State. I have to believe that the coaches evaluating him from these schools probably understand his ability and skill set to play Q.B at their level, that's why they have offered!

I will say it just as i did with boyle. Not a d1 QB. When your highlight film starts off with numerous running plays. Good kid, good player but not a D1 QB

Curious what games did you see Duggan play in live? Not interested in hudl tape, would like to know live views. I agree with the other guy responding, when that many schools make offers you have to believe he's legit. I have seen the kid play on 2 occasions and will view more this year, he looked darn good to me.

Duggan already has offers from Iowa, Iowa State, Minnesota, North Carolina and Kansas State. I have to believe that the coaches evaluating him from these schools probably understand his ability and skill set to play Q.B at their level, that's why they have offered!

Ah yes because every kid that gets an offer is a superstar at the college level. Time will tell. Like I said great kid, great skills I just don't see him as a D1 QB at this time. but that's me.

DSMan the 2 guys you're talking about I think are the same guys that DSM Sportsfan called out earlier in one of his post ( see below). Ross and Waggoner

I was asked to put together a team of 5 offensive and 5 defensive players to build a team around for the 2017 season. With the exception of one player on this list, I have watched each play live and have watched all of them on hudl. I know there are similar players from the East Side of Iowa so someone provide us some names we can check out on hudl. My plan next year is to try and view both west and east players provided the drive is manageable.
I have attached a link to Hudl if the players had Hudl set up, it may or may-not work... If not go to hudl and take a look.

Offense Team to Build Around (5)

Duggan (QB) LC
http://www.hudl.com/profile/6143073/max-duggan

He would be the leader of my offense, a dual threat players that combines a great arm with excellent football speed. I expect big things from him next year as he matures and further develops into the qb position. One of many things things I love about this kid is the moment never seemed too big for him. Duggan played great against top caliber teams (Valley and Ankeny) Obvisouly I was never in the huddle but I have the opinion he’s a leader and can carry a team a long way. Duggan is a QB to build around in 2017

Ross (OL) Dowling 6-3 295
http://www.hudl.com/profile/4442979/zach-ross

Any couch would love a horse up front to protect his QB and open holes to establish the run game. If you've ever watched Dowling warm up there are a few players you take note of, one of them is Ross. The state was full of great linemen ( both west and east side) I would put Ross in the mix with the best and certainly one of the top returners for next year. I really like his run blocking, he needs to continue to work on his foot work/pass protection especially for the next level (or if Dowling is required to throw more next year) Ross has a D-1 frame at 6-3 and nearly 300 pounds, who would not want a guy like Ross anchoring your O-Line.

Mason ( Valley) RB

I expect really big things from Mason next year as he carries much of the load for a Valley Team that has holes to fill. Like Duggan, Mason is a dual threat player with excellent hands ( 300 yards receiving in the regular season) and breakaway speed carrying the ball ( 800 yards rushing in regular season). He is one of those players that finds the end zone ( 19 TD’s if memory serves me right/ regular season). Watch out next season, his stats will go up significantly as he become the feature back. What jumped out at me with Mason is how he bounces off tackles, this kid plays much bigger than his height and weight listed on the program. Every team would love to have a player that can take it to the house on any touch, Mason is that kind of back.

Mosley ( Fort Dodge) Rec

http://www.hudl.com/profile/4376223/trey-mosley

One of the top receivers in the State, has the speed to get to the end-zone on any touch ( 7 times with a long of 78 yards) . Top tier receiver in both catches 1st in 4A and total yards 4th in 4A while averaging 11.7 yards a reception, I regret I have not watched Mosely play but it’s on my bucket list for next season. Few teams have this kind of threat but every team certainly wants one!

Hill ( Ankeny)

If you’ve read my list throughout the year you know how much I appreciate Hill. 2016 State Leader in TD’s (10) with an impressive 19.3 yards per catch. Electrifying, has excellent front end speed along with the moves to make defenders miss in open space. I’m not sure Hill realized how good he would be this year, next year he will play with added confidence as he accepts the fact that he’s a “special player”. In addition to what he bring on the offensive side of the ball Hill can also return punts and kickoffs and play a little defense when needed. You can go deep in the post season and build a very good team around a player like Hill.

Defense Team to Build Around (5)

Waggoner (Dowling) 6-5 225 DE

http://www.hudl.com/profile/5273341/john-waggoner

I have watched Waggoner play live on a few occasions, what I love is his discipline. I don’t recall him once being out of position or getting burned, you need someone who is a leader and Waggoner is that guy. At 6-5 he has excellent leverage and creates a tough match up for opposing linemen. Waggoner can cause his fair share of disruption as well, when he pins his ears back he’s a very good pass rusher with great leverage. As I stated in previously post he needs to get stronger which I’m certain he will before next year. A great kid to build a defense around with a bright future.

Theobald ( LC) 6-2 230 DE
http://www.hudl.com/profile/4284689/dane-theobald/videos

He and Waggoner both play the edge however they are different styles of players. In my opinion Theobald is a better pass rusher (IMO best in 4A that I watched) and Waggoner is better at playing the run, both are top tier H.S. Ends. A combination of Size, Strength and Speed. I’ve watched him 3 times and love his motor and his aggresive style of play. If I’m building a team I want someone who applies pressure all game long, what I witnessed against Ankeny ( 4 or 5 sacks in that game alone)

Baugher Ankeny ( 190 backer)

http://www.hudl.com/profile/5459833/colby-baugher

Any coach would want a player that comes up and plugs the hole and makes the tackle, Baugher is that guy! (4A’s Sate Leader in Tackles with 101). This is a player you can move around and play either inside or outside, and can cover the flats. Like Theobald and Waggoner you can send Baugher will a high level of confidence he’ll get into the backfield and make a play, he recorded 10TFL on the 2016 season. If I’m picking a guy to build around I want a sure tackler, a guy that fly’s all around the field and provides me the luxury to move to multiple positions…Baugher!

Pinegar Cent. 6-3 195)
http://www.hudl.com/profile/4309487/jake-pinegar/about

Love this kid, he has both size and speed at 6-3 195. Excellent cover guy who was 2nd in picks at the 4A level, I want a player that can cover my opponents top receivers and also stop the run and contain the outside, that’s why I selected Pinegar. BTW an added benefit is how athletic he is, you can use him on the offensive side of the ball as a receiver, provides a coach with a lot of different options.

Jackson Roosevelt ( 6-0 200 backer)
http://www.hudl.com/profile/4116613/kendell-jackson

Extremely athletic, again another player that you could move around depending on the situation (85 tackles with 9 for loss and 5 QB sacks along with 2 picks). He is a do-it-all kind of player that I really like. One of the most athletic guys I watched play

It was extremely hard to pick 5 guys as there are so many good players and people could debate the list all night long. This is just my opinion and my response to a request. Now lets add players from the Eastern Iowa to this list.

Andrew Todd and Nolan Potter - Cedar Rapids Washington

Last edited:

I see Duggan just picked up an offer from Penn State, the recruiters must have accidentally skipped over those Hudl run plays.

I see Duggan just picked up an offer from Penn State, the recruiters must have accidentally skipped over those Hudl run plays.

Yes sir, you are correct. Not saying he won't make it. Ryan Boyle offers from Michigan State, Iowa, Iowa State, Nebraska, Minnesota, Kansas, Kansas State and more. Now playing receiver.

BTW got my A$$ reamed for saying he wouldn't be a D1 QB either and Clayberg as well who is now a DB I believe

Clark to NDSU as a RB. Would've played safety at Iowa, or possibly even receiver with his combination of size & speed. But must have really wanted to play RB. As a RB, he could've done worse than NDSU. Good luck to the young man.

This article about Duggan is cool. NINE power 5 offers.

Duggan a 2019 priority for I-State
Bill Seals | Editor

Max Duggan

Pro-style quarterback
RR: 5.7
Lewis Central School
Council Bluffs, IA
6'2" 180 lbs Class of 2019
UNDECIDED

RANK

-
POSITION

-
NATIONAL

-
STATE
An in-state quarterback that the Cyclones were in on early with an offer has blown up during the summer months and now has several Power-5 offers under his belt going into his junior campaign.

Council Bluffs Lewis Central standout Max Duggan is preparing for his third season as a starting quarterback and has set lofty goals in a 4A class that has been dominated lately by West Des Moines Dowling Catholic.

The 6-foot-2, 180-pound Duggan spent the summer months attending camps and taking unofficial visits to programs around the country. The result is a Power-5 offer list that now includes ISU, Georgia, Iowa, Kansas State, Minnesota, Ole Miss, Nebraska, North Carolina and Penn State.

As a sophomore in his second season of starting at the varsity level, Duggan completed 108-of-174 passes for 1,651 yards and 15 touchdowns to go with five interceptions. Also a threat to beat opposing defenses with his feet, he rushed 114 times for 592 yards and 14 touchdowns.

lewis central max dunggan.... i believe he was only a sophmore last year.....nice talent on the west side of the state

Barney Jones... he's the guy.
Never seen him play but everyone says that he's good so he's gotta be a D1 guy. I heard that he eats a full cow every morning....not from the freezer just walks out and hops on and just starts cutting away. Very talented kid.

People, yes kids are good but for gods sake say what you know and stop touting kids you have never seen on the field. All of these kids are good and we know that. But to make statements about "this kids gonna be a good one" when you haven't seen him on the field is idiotic.

And I will make this very, very clear....the west side isn't squat compared to the east side.

People might think this is crazy, but check out Waterloo East this year. Not sure on how the season will end, but roster is full of future college athletes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT