ADVERTISEMENT

The best defense?

Pella and DCG both had top 5 defenses last year in fewest points allowed. Now I know there is more to defense then just points given up. Both return a good number of defensive starters or guys that played a lot(Pella has 7-8). Pella's rush defense was very good. Lost 1 good LB. Secondary was very solid young last year playing 3 soph and a jr much of the time and should be very good this year. Play week #2 in Pella. Should be an exciting start to the year.

Cedar Rapids Xavier. Trends of last several years, regardless of having to replace people. Look for a few more kids to be playing on both sides of the ball. After all, squad size is down from 86 to 71. That's 17.5% down!

3A will be Assumption - they were MAC #1 last year and return most of the top tacklers.

Pella is going to have a very strong defense. I'm not sure if it will be the best in 3A, but if there is a faster defense out there, I'd love to see it. They will fly. Not very deep, so injuries will hit them hard if they happen.

Originally posted by loco60:
Cedar Rapids Xavier. Trends of last several years, regardless of having to replace people. Look for a few more kids to be playing on both sides of the ball. After all, squad size is down from 86 to 71. That's 17.5% down!
Still nearly twice the size of most 3A schools rosters.

Humboldt will be very solid all year on defense with Brady Ross, a more mature DLine and very good secondary... It will be a very good year for the Wildcats!

I have to agree with Xavier being the best Defense in 3A. Even after loss to 4A #1 Dowling. They gave up 24 points, but the defense was put out there all night and on a short field a few times.

I don't know if Xavier is the best or not, but they did play tough Friday. One goal line stand, one safety, held Boyle to 150 yards passing (42 on one play) and negative yardage rushing, and Dowling had under 100 total yards on the ground. All this while the Xavier offense couldn't stay on the field (except for the third quarter).

It's easy to dismiss Assumption after giving up 41 points, but 1) Bettendorf has a great shot to represent the east in the 4A championship game and 2) as my son reminded me, Xavier had one of the best defenses in memory last year - eight shutouts! - and they gave up 44 to Dowling. So Assumption still might be pretty good. I kind of expect a low-scoring match Thursday between Assumption and Xavier.

I think Pella has to be in the mix, too. Even though Washington lost a lot of seniors, they still made the state championship last year, and Pella shut them out.

Pella very well could have a top 5 D.
If that's true then the QB from Washington (Daryn Sebelius)must be very good to have 345 total yards by himself against Pella.
Passing 196yds
Rushing 149yds

I think it is safe to say that game 1 defense for Pella was not dominating except that they held Washington scoreless. Lots of new faces and new positions on the Pella D and a quality opponent had a lot to do with that. Washington very effectively moved the ball between the 30 yard lines all night, almost all gains by Sebelius. Wash ran 30 more plays than Pella and had twice as much time of possession. They were on offense all night long. And yet, down 35-0 and with a running clock, it was odd to me that Washington kept Sebelius and their varsity in to the very last play of the game, long after Pella pulled their starters. What little gain could be realized at that point for a proud program like Washington?

I very much agree that Sebelius is a talented player. His ability to run and pass will be a challenge for all future opponents. My fear for for him would be for his body. He plays both ways now, and if they use him the same way each Friday night I wonder how he will hold up.

I'm surprised there hasn't been any hype and intrigue around the Xavier v Assumption game? Xavier's defense is very good again. Assumption lost big to Bett, but has high expectations. This game didn't even make the BCMoore picks.

I see the Xavier defense shutting Assumption down and winning 21-7. Any thoughts on this one?

Originally posted by RedAgentRadar:
I'm surprised there hasn't been any hype and intrigue around the Xavier v Assumption game? Xavier's defense is very good again. Assumption lost big to Bett, but has high expectations. This game didn't even make the BCMoore picks.

I see the Xavier defense shutting Assumption down and winning 21-7. Any thoughts on this one?
That Xavier held Dowling QB to negative yards rushing was noteworthy. I would agree that a 21-7 game score is a good guess.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT