ADVERTISEMENT

RPI

Mepo did an awesome job on this.... as well as picking one of the least challenging ND schedules for this cycle. Kudos to them.
True and I’m not arguing that point. I’m just providing facts that almost all 11 player school got 3 of their top 4 requested non-district opponents. With a majority getting all 4. But I’ll give my opinion anyways.

Mediapolis played 3 2A opponents who they have played a lot recently in district when in 2A and at the time a Top 10 Class A opponent who they have a lot of history with. These opponents have had a couple decent seasons recently and Mepo probably doesn’t want to travel a long ways for non-district opponents so the fans will travel and support them, good for both Mepo and the home team. But I do not speak for the coaches or school, just my opinion. They can’t help other teams aren’t good. Maybe Mepo is one of the schools who only got 1 or 2 of their requests, nobody knows until the state releases those requests. I do know Mepo would love to play good teams to make themselves better for a playoff run. And know that when they had Ertz and company they did not get all their requested opponents.

True and I’m not arguing that point. I’m just providing facts that almost all 11 player school got 3 of their top 4 requested non-district opponents. With a majority getting all 4. But I’ll give my opinion anyways.

Mediapolis played 3 2A opponents who they have played a lot recently in district when in 2A and at the time a Top 10 Class A opponent who they have a lot of history with. These opponents have had a couple decent seasons recently and Mepo probably doesn’t want to travel a long ways for non-district opponents so the fans will travel and support them, good for both Mepo and the home team. But I do not speak for the coaches or school, just my opinion. They can’t help other teams aren’t good. Maybe Mepo is one of the schools who only got 1 or 2 of their requests, nobody knows until the state releases those requests. I do know Mepo would love to play good teams to make themselves better for a playoff run. And know that when they had Ertz and company they did not get all their requested opponents.

All very good points. The strength of teams fell well for Mepo this year and I would assume next year as well. It would be interesting to have the state release the requests because some of the schedules raised an eyebrow.

I don't think the stats provided by the IHSAA are untrue (although no one has any way to verify their statement).

But, I also don't think those scheduling stats tell the complete story.

"Lewis Central’s nondistrict opponents will be 3-A schools Sergeant Bluff-Luton and Carlisle, along with 4-A foes Abraham Lincoln and Thomas Jefferson from Council Bluffs."

“We sent out feelers to a lot of different schools and nobody committed to us,” Lewis Central coach Jim Duggan said. “We got nobody on our top four.”

"Arnold said about the new formula for determining playoff qualifiers, “The RPI situation will be interesting. The rhyme or reason why things were decided still leaves a lot of questions. The Iowa Football Coaches Association had a strong voice but in a lot of ways that voice was ignored by the IHSAA. As a coaches association, we hope that our voice will be heard more in 2020 when re-districting and most likely the playoff format will change in some fashion. I do like the idea of all nine games counting but not having a multiplier for playing teams in a class above you eliminates the motivation to play teams in a bigger class. We do have Independence and Charles City, who are both 3A, Jesup 1A and Vinton-Shellsburg 2A as our non-district opponents. By rule, playing a team that is 7-2 in Class A is the exact same as playing a 7-2 team in Class 3A or 4A. In my opinion, while both teams are quality teams, they are not equal in terms of overall quality. That is an aspect I think will change the next rotation.”

"Arnold said about the new formula for determining playoff qualifiers, “The RPI situation will be interesting. The rhyme or reason why things were decided still leaves a lot of questions. The Iowa Football Coaches Association had a strong voice but in a lot of ways that voice was ignored by the IHSAA. As a coaches association, we hope that our voice will be heard more in 2020 when re-districting and most likely the playoff format will change in some fashion. I do like the idea of all nine games counting but not having a multiplier for playing teams in a class above you eliminates the motivation to play teams in a bigger class. We do have Independence and Charles City, who are both 3A, Jesup 1A and Vinton-Shellsburg 2A as our non-district opponents. By rule, playing a team that is 7-2 in Class A is the exact same as playing a 7-2 team in Class 3A or 4A. In my opinion, while both teams are quality teams, they are not equal in terms of overall quality. That is an aspect I think will change the next rotation.”

I do have to chuckle that the coaches think their voice will be heard more the next go around.

Reactions: gdkid2010

Guys in Boone be like.
rp1qQoD.gif

FYI, just to shoot down the argument many only received two teams and some only received one, although I guess it depends on your definition of many.

“According to a release by the IHSAA, 68.8 percent of schools competing in 11-player football received all four schools they requested on their non-district priority list, and 93.6 percent received at least three.”

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/...ll/ihsaa-releases-football-schedules-20180321

This may be true, but if the RPI system is not changed this will not be the case in 2020. Schools are not going to put teams that are a class above or even good teams in their own class on the list that gets submitted. The most important factor in this system is to win games so you make the playoffs. If you don't make the playoffs it doesn't matter if you got better because you played good competition early in the year. There were lots of examples of this happening this past year.

The lists that get submitted will be full of teams requesting games against lower class schools which will make it impossible for the state to give everyone 3/4 or 4/4 teams or even 2/4 on their lists. I know for a fact that if things don't change there will be some long standing rivalries between teams from different classes that will not be happening unless the state does it on their own.

Reactions: Pinehawk
It all comes down to winning districts. That is first and foremost. If everyone has the same opinion of not playing up, then all the games will be played with your own class because Class A would have the same attitude. I do not really think this will affect the way a lot of teams schedule come the new district set up. I do think there needs to be some changes, but they are on the right path by trying to do something more than just have the top 2 in each district.

Reactions: gdkid2010
It all comes down to winning districts. That is first and foremost. If everyone has the same opinion of not playing up, then all the games will be played with your own class because Class A would have the same attitude. I do not really think this will affect the way a lot of teams schedule come the new district set up. I do think there needs to be some changes, but they are on the right path by trying to do something more than just have the top 2 in each district.

I think there will be significant changes in who teams put on their list. No benefits to stepping up anymore. Now the pressure is on the state to pick schedules.

Hey genius, Xavier was placed on the schedule when non-district games did not count against the RPI. Why should a 1A team play a 3A State Champion and be placed at that disadvantage when others are not?
Because they recruit

Don’t get me started on Regina and the catholic schools. This has been covered so many times. I mainly find it funny how their hot shot football program plays in a class lower than all the rest of their sports when nearly all of their conference is in a class above in that sport. But i digress.

It seems you are unaware of how classifications are determined.
It appears that your criticisms are likely personal and not based in fact.

Don’t get me started on Regina and the catholic schools. This has been covered so many times. I mainly find it funny how their hot shot football program plays in a class lower than all the rest of their sports when nearly all of their conference is in a class above in that sport. But i digress.

Always a good move to demonstrate how little you know. It makes your other posts that much more valid. Keep pushing, you will get there. Quick question, was you or one of your kids that couldn't compete well enough?

It seems you are unaware of how classifications are determined.
It appears that your criticisms are likely personal and not based in fact.
I know full well how they are determined. And I also know you can play if you so choose. Xavier did for many yrs and I know they aren’t the only ones to do so. In most states, the privates have to play up a class and don’t have a choice in the matter

Always a good move to demonstrate how little you know. It makes your other posts that much more valid. Keep pushing, you will get there. Quick question, was you or one of your kids that couldn't compete well enough?
I know plenty. I fully get the strict numbers part of it. I simply think it looks odd for any team. Regina or others, to be in one class in all sports except for one when all the rest of the schools in their conference (i get football has districts here) are in a higher class. I simply find this odd. The way iowa goes about all of this in all sports makes little sense to me in general. Someone told me once the original intent of district football was to bring schools of similar size and proximity together. Is this not correct? Why wouldn’t that be the intent and best interest of all schools in all sports...thus...getting rid of distrcts and going back to conference play?

Schools don't set their own class. Each sport is determined independently based on the size and number of schools participating.

Perhaps you are new here. This topic has been discussed in depth many times.

I know full well how they are determined. And I also know you can play if you so choose. Xavier did for many yrs and I know they aren’t the only ones to do so. In most states, the privates have to play up a class and don’t have a choice in the matter

Question opportunity to demonstrate how well versed you are. What fundamentally changed that gave Xavier, Assumption, Wahlert an opportunity to play 3A football?

I know plenty. I fully get the strict numbers part of it. I simply think it looks odd for any team. Regina or others, to be in one class in all sports except for one when all the rest of the schools in their conference (i get football has districts here) are in a higher class. I simply find this odd. The way iowa goes about all of this in all sports makes little sense to me in general. Someone told me once the original intent of district football was to bring schools of similar size and proximity together. Is this not correct? Why wouldn’t that be the intent and best interest of all schools in all sports...thus...getting rid of distrcts and going back to conference play?

Interesting, how many schools in Iowa have boys basketball? How about football? Baseball? The riddle may provide some insights.

CID you slightly correct there, but it is actually because there are 6 classes in football, and only 4 in basketball and baseball.
4A basketball = 4A football plus 6 schools from 3A football
3A basketball= 3A football plus 16 2A football
2A basketball= Remaining 2A football and all 1A football and maybe a few A schools
1A basketball= All 8 man football and almost all A schools

CID you slightly correct there, but it is actually because there are 6 classes in football, and only 4 in basketball and baseball.
4A basketball = 4A football plus 6 schools from 3A football
3A basketball= 3A football plus 16 2A football
2A basketball= Remaining 2A football and all 1A football and maybe a few A schools
1A basketball= All 8 man football and almost all A schools

So it's not a conspiracy to put them in different classes? I bet it happens with public schools as well!!

Schools don't set their own class. Each sport is determined independently based on the size and number of schools participating.

Perhaps you are new here. This topic has been discussed in depth many times.
But you can play up. I know that for a fact as Xavier did that for years.

Why did they do that and what changed? Fairly simple questions. I look forward to your insightful answers.
I have no idea. You’d need to ask them. My assumption is, playing up was more of a challenge for them wheras playing in the lower class didn’t challenge their kids or coaches.

I have no idea. You’d need to ask them. My assumption is, playing up was more of a challenge for them wheras playing in the lower class didn’t challenge their kids or coaches.

Wow, evidence on how little knowledge you have on a subject that you have very strong opinions on.

The only way RPI works is if everyone plays all 9 games within their own class.

It would make it better, but not perfect.

As much as people complain about the way the 4 teams are selected for college football personally I think a system where a group of people that was made up of school adminstrators, media, and possibly former coaches were brought in to select the top 16 teams for the playoffs would be better.

I also think that we need to either go to only 1 "district" champion from each district is given an auto spot or go to teams playing an entire schedule of who they want if we continue with the current 16 team format. When a weak district was able to take up 3 spots because of co-champions it really hurt some good teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT