ADVERTISEMENT

RPI

I’ve said that West Sioux is no way #9. They were easily a top team all year long. They had the athletes and physicality to make the move up to 1A.

Why doesn't state go off of BCMoore Rankings? Seems like he is right more times then he's wrong.

I'm gonna suggest that the IAHSAA wouldnt have any control over BCMoore rankings and therefore wouldnt feel comfortable with using that. (Not to mention, likely having to provide some compensation for using the ranking?) Im sure there is some bias with BCM, so can understand that to some extent. However, i would bet most observers would say that BCM rankings are most close to accurate compared to RPI (so far) and regional newspaper rankings? The RPI is obviously flawed, and will remain that way for with so many of the games across classes. I would rather see the wildcards determined by combo of RPI, BCM and DM register/ CR gazette (top 20), with all 4 ranking weighted equally. Similar to what BCS did in college football with different rankings and computer models.

The issue that I have with RPI is that with every game counting and the IHSAA setting the schedules...they actually have a lot of control over who makes the playoffs.
Quite a few playoff qualifiers had a weak district and a less than challenging non-district schedule.
Other teams faced non-district schedules that included 3 teams that ended up in the Dome.
Should a 1A team be forced to play the defending 3A State Champion (who won it again this year)?

You name a team and I could create a schedule that would make it very easy or very difficult for them to qualify for the playoffs.

The issue that I have with RPI is that with every game counting and the IHSAA setting the schedules...they actually have a lot of control over who makes the playoffs.
Quite a few playoff qualifiers had a weak district and a less than challenging non-district schedule.
Other teams faced non-district schedules that included 3 teams that ended up in the Dome.
Should a 1A team be forced to play the defending 3A State Champion (who won it again this year)?

You name a team and I could create a schedule that would make it very easy or very difficult for them to qualify for the playoffs.
Hey genius, Xavier has been on Regina's schedule for years, the state did not force them to play. They chose to. They lost and they suffered the consequences. All this crap that people say no one chooses their schedule is incorrect. Bitter because your team did not make it because of a tough schedule. They chose the teams to play.

Hey genius, Xavier has been on Regina's schedule for years, the state did not force them to play. They chose to. They lost and they suffered the consequences. All this crap that people say no one chooses their schedule is incorrect. Bitter because your team did not make it because of a tough schedule. They chose the teams to play.

Hey genius, Xavier was placed on the schedule when non-district games did not count against the RPI. Why should a 1A team play a 3A State Champion and be placed at that disadvantage when others are not?

Reactions: docholiday22
Hey genius, Xavier was placed on the schedule when non-district games did not count against the RPI. Why should a 1A team play a 3A State Champion and be placed at that disadvantage when others are not?
Every 2 years you resubmit the teams you want to play for the following 2 years. It is not done once and then just continues. How about you check facts and not whine all the time. Do you think the state made it hard for Regina by playing a PC team that is 1.5 hours away? That would have been on both their schedules. Regina did not make it, get over it. They will probably make it next year again so you can stop your whining.
I guess Anamosa is sure a power house non-district game. Williamsburg did not make the Dome either. They played 2 non-district Dome teams. Losing to both. Obviously their schedule was not tough enough because PC in class 1A had 3 losses and were still 8th in the RPI. Maybe Regina needs a tougher schedule.

I'm gonna suggest that the IAHSAA wouldnt have any control over BCMoore rankings and therefore wouldnt feel comfortable with using that. (Not to mention, likely having to provide some compensation for using the ranking?) Im sure there is some bias with BCM, so can understand that to some extent. However, i would bet most observers would say that BCM rankings are most close to accurate compared to RPI (so far) and regional newspaper rankings? The RPI is obviously flawed, and will remain that way for with so many of the games across classes. I would rather see the wildcards determined by combo of RPI, BCM and DM register/ CR gazette (top 20), with all 4 ranking weighted equally. Similar to what BCS did in college football with different rankings and computer models.
Seriously the Des Moines register n CR gazette lol? So you would choose to use two papers where the only voters are their sports writers? I’m guessing west half the state would love that. Them two papers are super bias. If you want to use the rankings use the Associated press rankings which is composed of all sports writers around the state not just a certain papers writers

Every 2 years you resubmit the teams you want to play for the following 2 years. It is not done once and then just continues. How about you check facts and not whine all the time. Do you think the state made it hard for Regina by playing a PC team that is 1.5 hours away? That would have been on both their schedules. Regina did not make it, get over it. They will probably make it next year again so you can stop your whining.
I guess Anamosa is sure a power house non-district game. Williamsburg did not make the Dome either. They played 2 non-district Dome teams. Losing to both. Obviously their schedule was not tough enough because PC in class 1A had 3 losses and were still 8th in the RPI. Maybe Regina needs a tougher schedule.

There is some truth in what you say, there is also a pretty significant load of crap in there as well. There are lists, unless you are privy to who had who on their list you can't be as absolute as you seem to be. As far as PC goes those geniuses put the 1 1/2 hour away teams in the same district. To claim it is as simple as you do is being disingenuous. Objectively look around and see how equitable it really is. Otherwise the seasons end the same, one team walking away as the victor. It has been good being that team a few times. How about you?

Regina only lost one game to a team that didn't make it to the Dome. Williamsburg. And, Williamsburg was a game away, getting knocked out by eventual 2A Champ PCM in the quarterfinals. And, it was a 55-34 game which was the most points PCM gave up all season and was the same margin they beat BH-RV by in the Championship game.
So, yeah..tough schedule. And, not even close to equitable when compared to other teams.

If the State is going to use RPI, they should really make an effort to develop the schedules in a fair, transparent and defendable manner.

Seriously the Des Moines register n CR gazette lol? So you would choose to use two papers where the only voters are their sports writers? I’m guessing west half the state would love that. Them two papers are super bias. If you want to use the rankings use the Associated press rankings which is composed of all sports writers around the state not just a certain papers writers

Sure , use AP. Or whatever. Use the dude on here that puts his rankings on his website . My point is , all the ranking are going to have bias. There is no way around that , when you have teams playing other teams in different class , with so few games anyway. And you have people who have seen teams once or twice (if that) determining there rank in a poll.
So rather than using one formula / system, I think it would be better to use a blend of 3-4 somewhat reputable systems , which is going to reduce some of the bias. As hard as it may be to believe, GoPa, we are really on the same side of this argument.

If every game is going to count towards RPI, and the IHSAA is going to set the schedules. Then they should make the opponent requests that schools submit available to the public.

Be transparent and let everyone see who requested to play who, and who the IHSAA decided to match up on their own.

There is a certain degree of mystery surrounding the setting of schedules now, and with every game counting, the non-district match ups are more important than ever before.

If Regina played DNH schedual they woulda been in the state title game!! Plus Regina matches up better with WS then DNH

If Regina played DNH schedual they woulda been in the state title game!! Plus Regina matches up better with WS then DNH

Regina was a quality team this year and will be tough come next year, but I don't think they would have given WS a better game than DNH did. WS would be a bit too physical and athletic for Regina.

WS was the best team in the state!! Agree they wouldn’t of beat them.. but I don’t see Regina getting beat by a simple go route 4 times! I think WS ground game would of had to do a lot more work

WS was the best team in the state!! Agree they wouldn’t of beat them.. but I don’t see Regina getting beat by a simple go route 4 times! I think WS ground game would of had to do a lot more work

Well they obviously saw something to go with that route during the game. If it's Regina they would have gone another route, but I still believe they would have a lot of success. Regina's defense would not hold up whatsoever against the WS offense. No defense outside of BHRV held up against WS no matter who you have out there. They are just too sound and good at what they do. WS would have won by a lot more if Regina was playing them. But it's all irrelevant now. It's interesting to think about how other teams would have fared.

Well they obviously saw something to go with that route during the game. If it's Regina they would have gone another route, but I still believe they would have a lot of success. Regina's defense would not hold up whatsoever against the WS offense. No defense outside of BHRV held up against WS no matter who you have out there. They are just too sound and good at what they do. WS would have won by a lot more if Regina was playing them. But it's all irrelevant now. It's interesting to think about how other teams would have fared.

DNH rb ripped off 340 yards against Regina in the regular season finale. What's to say WS wouldn't have a great deal of success on the ground?

I think ws beats regina but I think it would be different win as in might of had to drive down the field instead of blown coverage like I saw in the ship! 5 td passes over 50 yards or right around mid field with a Receiver running free! And maybe on paper DNH D looked better then to actually be?

I think ws beats regina but I think it would be different win as in might of had to drive down the field instead of blown coverage like I saw in the ship! 5 td passes over 50 yards or right around mid field with a Receiver running free! And maybe on paper DNH D looked better then to actually be?

Their pass defense was certainly not the strong suit of their team. If the pass rush can't get there, which it did most of the season, then it becomes a long day for their secondary. They seemed to be very athletic on the back end, but just some breakdowns and such happened. But yes I agree, maybe Regina forces them to have more sustained drives.

Reactions: Bearcat1974
Their pass defense was certainly not the strong suit of their team. If the pass rush can't get there, which it did most of the season, then it becomes a long day for their secondary. They seemed to be very athletic on the back end, but just some breakdowns and such happened. But yes I agree, maybe Regina forces them to have more sustained drives.

But DNH did have a 1st team all-state DB and he did a nice job on the I35 main receiver. West Sioux just has one too many weapons and when your best goes against the Koopmans kid, someone still has to account for Lynott and that kid is a game breaker. Tough matchups across the board that WS presents. Again congrats to everyone on the season, and already looking forward to 2019.

Reactions: WSFalcons
Sure , use AP. Or whatever. Use the dude on here that puts his rankings on his website . My point is , all the ranking are going to have bias. There is no way around that , when you have teams playing other teams in different class , with so few games anyway. And you have people who have seen teams once or twice (if that) determining there rank in a poll.
So rather than using one formula / system, I think it would be better to use a blend of 3-4 somewhat reputable systems , which is going to reduce some of the bias. As hard as it may be to believe, GoPa, we are really on the same side of this argument.
Lol very weird.... yeh I’d just say use the AP poll though since least it’s a combination of bias votes to equal everything out. The register n gazette is just like 8 guys in their sports department voting so just don’t work.

Regina would not have beat WS. Regina's offense is pretty good with Cook, but their defense would have had no chance of stopping WS. Very suspect defense. Why is it that all the Regina fans cannot face the fact that just 1 year they are down? Not as good as the past and will be okay for the future. Deal with it. Not a great team this year. It happens to the best of them. Just face facts and stop making excuses about the schedule. If everyone wants to know who is on the list I would suggest that you go ask someone in your schools athletic department who they scheduled. Otherwise it is all speculation and complaining

I agree Regina would not have beaten West Sioux. And, I don't think anyone is saying that. Although, I think they would have given them a tough game.
This is a discussion about using RPI to determine playoff qualifiers. And, in the first year of doing so, I think many would agree that Regina was a team good enough to have been in the field. If not for the schedule that the IHSAA gave them.

The RPI system appears to have some flaws. Improvements can and should be made. Whether that is transparency on who teams request to schedule, credit being given for playing and/or winning games up a class (similar to other sports such as baseball and soccer), or other methods.

I like the opponents record. That means you do not schedule a team that may go winless. That shows who actually schedules teams that will be good. It shows strength of schedule. It does need to take into account classes played though. I know it used to be when I was in high school that for basketball a team was given points for who they beat. 4A was 4 points 3A was 3. It has not been like that for quite a few years. In baseball and basketball the districts are seeded by the coaches now. State is not. The problem is football has too few games.

Reactions: gdkid2010
Regina would not have beat WS. Regina's offense is pretty good with Cook, but their defense would have had no chance of stopping WS. Very suspect defense. Why is it that all the Regina fans cannot face the fact that just 1 year they are down? Not as good as the past and will be okay for the future. Deal with it. Not a great team this year. It happens to the best of them. Just face facts and stop making excuses about the schedule. If everyone wants to know who is on the list I would suggest that you go ask someone in your schools athletic department who they scheduled. Otherwise it is all speculation and complaining

Speculation? I thought it was as simple as schools putting other schools on a list and it's done. I thought I read that on here somewhere.

Speculation? I thought it was as simple as schools putting other schools on a list and it's done. I thought I read that on here somewhere.
It is that simple. Most people on here think the IAHSAA picks who plays who without the schools say on it. But you are correct, teams usually agree ahead of time to put each other on the schedule.

It is that simple. Most people on here think the IAHSAA picks who plays who without the schools say on it. But you are correct, teams usually agree ahead of time to put each other on the schedule.

So is it speculation or is it pre set? You have used both scenarios to support different posts on your part. I am not an expert, but it can't be both. A combination of both I can see but you have thrown them out as absolutes previously. Depending on the position.

I can't find it now, but at the beginning of the year, the IHSAA listed the percentages of teams who were scheduled with who they requested. Many had 3 of the 4 they picked, but many also just got two, some got only one team that they had requested...

In a majority of cases, the IHSAA selected at least one, if not two or more teams to match up against teams who did not request them. When these games didn't count towards making the playoffs (which was also reduced to 16), it wasn't as meaningful and you could have some rivalry games.

Now that every game counts, it's a different story and the IHSAA needs to take into account setting schedules in a fair manner.

I can't find it now, but at the beginning of the year, the IHSAA listed the percentages of teams who were scheduled with who they requested. Many had 3 of the 4 they picked, but many also just got two, some got only one team that they had requested...

In a majority of cases, the IHSAA selected at least one, if not two or more teams to match up against teams who did not request them. When these games didn't count towards making the playoffs (which was also reduced to 16), it wasn't as meaningful and you could have some rivalry games.

Now that every game counts, it's a different story and the IHSAA needs to take into account setting schedules in a fair manner.[/QUOTE
I realize that not every team gets the top 4 on the list. However if they do not get the top 4 the IAHSAA is not going to schedule a team 2 classes higher like some people are stating. A lot of what is being said as fact is assumption. We only know part of the story and some people do not even seem to know that. It is what it is. Deal the hand that you have and quit complaining. Talk to your coaches and AD if you want to see changes. My guess is that they would not even listen to half the yahoos on this forum.

I realize that not every team gets the top 4 on the list. However if they do not get the top 4 the IAHSAA is not going to schedule a team 2 classes higher like some people are stating. A lot of what is being said as fact is assumption. We only know part of the story and some people do not even seem to know that. It is what it is. Deal the hand that you have and quit complaining. Talk to your coaches and AD if you want to see changes. My guess is that they would not even listen to half the yahoos on this forum

I realize that not every team gets the top 4 on the list. However if they do not get the top 4 the IAHSAA is not going to schedule a team 2 classes higher like some people are stating. A lot of what is being said as fact is assumption. We only know part of the story and some people do not even seem to know that. It is what it is. Deal the hand that you have and quit complaining. Talk to your coaches and AD if you want to see changes. My guess is that they would not even listen to half the yahoos on this forum

I haven't read where someone stated that the state picked a team two classes up that wasn't on a list. Can you show that statement?

So make it transparent. Let's see the schedule request lists. Why do they need to be secret? Let's see who the IHSAA is picking for who...

FYI, just to shoot down the argument many only received two teams and some only received one, although I guess it depends on your definition of many.

“According to a release by the IHSAA, 68.8 percent of schools competing in 11-player football received all four schools they requested on their non-district priority list, and 93.6 percent received at least three.”

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/...ll/ihsaa-releases-football-schedules-20180321

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
FYI, just to shoot down the argument many only received two teams and some only received one, although I guess it depends on your definition of many.

“According to a release by the IHSAA, 68.8 percent of schools competing in 11-player football received all four schools they requested on their non-district priority list, and 93.6 percent received at least three.”

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/...ll/ihsaa-releases-football-schedules-20180321
Mepo just comes in with a flying elbow to end this argument lol so awesome

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT