ADVERTISEMENT

Regina VS Xavier...could the real winner be public schools?

ghost80

Varsity
Feb 24, 2009
It has been suggested before that Iowa enact what a growing number of states has done and create separate classes between private and public schools.

One of he major arguments has always been, " you would have schools from Class A all the way up to 4A competing with each other and that would be a disaster for the smaller schools".

By having private 1A Regina beat last year's 4A State runner up (who just happens to also be a private school) does kind of shoot down this argument.

Maybe it is time for the private schools to do their own thing while the public schools go and do their own.

To be perfectly honest I'm not concerned in the least about the possibility of excessive travel for the private schools. It isn't taxpayer money involved so that will be their own problem. As important as athletics are to a larger percentage of people involved in private schools, I'm sure they will find the funds.

This post was edited on 10/18 6:37 AM by ghost80

side note:

I find it comical that the only game I missed in Superbee's predictions was picking Xavier to win this game.

I'd do it again 100x out of 100.

SE was up only 14-6 midway through 4th quarter. I don't think SEV are bottom feeders either as they are 5-3 in first year of 2A after consolidation.
Small schools like SE would get destroyed year in and year out in single class private school setting.

GoingDeep is a troll and should not be taken seriously ever. I wouldn't call a team who is playing for a share of a 2A district title next week a bottom feeder, especially in their first year together as a team. And like someone just said the game was 14-6 in the 4th qtr and SV was actually inside SE's 35 yard line 3 other times and just couldn't punch it in.

Most recent would have been Georgia in 2012. They first tried a multiplier and studied the effects. After coming to the conclusion that a multiplier had no outcome on the high percentage of titles going to private schools, they joined the list of states having all or partial separation of private and public schools.

Some states are fully separated and some partial. Examples of partial separation:

New York has multiple athletic associations some segregated, some not.

Tennessee segregates out the Privates that offer tuition assistance to their students from the Publics and Privates who do not offer tuition assistance to students (those privates w/o TA do still have a multiplier).

South Carolina has 2 associations. One is for publics only while the other is combined. Public schools can decide which they join. (I really like this option especially for smaller rural public schools who currently must compete with private schools from large metro areas). IMO public schools can't b***h if they have a choice whether they have to compete with privates or not.

Here is a list of the states having all or partial segregation (this does not include states who are just using a multiplier...personally I agree with Georgia on multipliers):

Florida
Georgia
Maryland
South Carolina
North Carolina
New Jersey
New York
Tennessee
Texas (Texas is fully segregated but looking at a public choice model like South Carolina)
Virginia

Here is a list of other states currently considering some type of leveling mechanism which could include some form of segregation:

Colorado
Kansas
Ohio
Louisiana
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania
Wisconsin

The remaining states do nothing (like Iowa) or have a multiplier.

For crying out loud. The general consensus has been that Regina is pretty exceptional, even among private schools. St. Edmond is pretty good, but I don't think they could beat Xavier, Dowling, Assumption, etc. St. Albert, Newman definitely wouldn't, especially this year. Kuemper, Gehlen, Garrigan? No, nope, no. Then there's the 8-man schools, which are all terrible outside of Don Bosco.

You keep looking at the exception and try to make it the rule. Regina is the only small private school that could compete against Dowling/Xavier/Heelan consistently (and I don't think that will still be the case whenever Cook decides to hang it up).

I totally agree, lets not be "concerned" about privates travel issues. They should be flying to away games anyway. The best way to enhance a product is to water down the product. Your little suggestion to separate private and public would accomplish that.

Don Bosco has 45 kids out for 8 man football, the fact that they play 8 man is ridiculous, I could truly care less about public or private, but when any 8 man team has 40 or more out for football, meaning that they would have enough for an 11 man Varsity and JV team they shouldn't be playing 8 man

Originally posted by PNation:
Don Bosco has 45 kids out for 8 man football, the fact that they play 8 man is ridiculous, I could truly care less about public or private, but when any 8 man team has 40 or more out for football, meaning that they would have enough for an 11 man Varsity and JV team they shouldn't be playing 8 man
Don Bosco is a school the size of WB that plays 8-man. Petitioned to do so

Originally posted by BlameIt:

Uh, not it isn't. 2013-14 BEDS for Don Bosco: 105. West Branch? 173. Don Bosco is one of the biggest 8-man schools, but they are within the margin for the class.

Originally posted by tm33_08:

Uh, not it isn't. 2013-14 BEDS for Don Bosco: 105. West Branch? 173. Don Bosco is one of the biggest 8-man schools, but they are within the margin for the class.
Interesting…this document says otherwise…118 is OVER the limit…and Bosco has been the last couple of years too. How the state continues to give them an exception is beyond me. I realize this is 2012-13, but these are the numbers they would have used for THIS years classifications, since official BEDS numbers aren't done until Oct. 1 each year.

Edit: My years are off…they would have used 2013-14 BEDS numbers to classify teams for this year. Anyone got a link…I can't get 2013-14 BEDS anywhere on the world wide webs
This post was edited on 10/18 1:05 PM by Rose bowl or bust

Originally posted by tm33_08:

yet another private school discrepancy I disagree with you on, folks.

I believe DB's 105 as much as I believe Regina is as small as WB.

Sorry. Not buying either.

But, hey, you play the games ON the field and let the chips fall where they may (as mandated by the IHSAA, of course)

BlameIt: gloves off! :)

Let's just look at your list and why it is ridiculous.

Added: State Population, # of Public and Private Schools
Florida (19.5 million) (3727 public, 1666 private)
Georgia (9.99 million) (2068 public ,634 private)
Maryland (5.9 million) (1198 public, 659 private)
South Carolina (4.7 million) (972 public, 346 private)
North Carolina (9.8 million) (2089 public, 537 public)
New Jersey (8.9 million) (2088 public, 1022 private)
New York (19.6 million) (3702 public 1583 private)
Tennessee (6.49 million) (1466 public, 423 private)
Texas (26.4 million) (7052 public, 1323 private)
Virginia (8.2 million) (1792 public, 662 private)

Here is a list of other states currently considering some type of leveling mechanism which could include some form of segregation:

Colorado (5.2 million) (1437 public, 342 private)
Kansas (2.89 million) (1020 public, 189 private)
Ohio (11.5 million) (2829 public, 896 private)
Louisiana (4.6 million) (1187 public, 333 private)
Oklahoma (3.85 million) 1248 public, 171 private)
Pennsylvania (12.7 million) (2446 public, 1943 private)
Wisconsin (5.7 million) (1701 public, 788 private)

Iowa (3.09 million) (1050 public, 205 private)
I'm not exactly sure how they came about these numbers, as Iowa only lists 373 high schools on their BEDS numbers documents. After doing a little digging, the count high schools I've never heard of like Des Moines Adventist School and Gateway Secondary School (in Des Moines) and apparently counts some schools that are listed as Junior High Schools since they have the word "High" in them.

Assuming the same additions and errors are made across all states, it does show you how vastly different Iowa is than any of the other states you've listed. The only states that are any way comparable on your list are Kansas and Oklahoma. The rest of these on your list are so much bigger than the state of Iowa.

Looking at the state's official BEDS document from 2012-13, I counted a grand total of 34 private schools. Only one is a 4A school, a couple of 3A schools, a few 2A schools, and the rest are small schools. I counted 18 schools that would fall into 8-man football, although some of them don't have a team at all such as Storm Lake St. Mary's, Siouxland Christian, or Scattergood Friends (where the hell is that?) I counted Meskwaki Settlement, Maharishi, and Clarinda Academy as privates as well, although I'm not sure if they would be.

How do you propose we put these schools into their own class when there aren't very many of them? There is only one 4A private school in our entire state

Let's widen the spectrum of this debate here a little bit. I'm not going to dispute that private schools have an advantage in high school sports. They certainly do. But, I will qualify that by saying that this is not an UNFAIR advantage. Why punish a school that happens to have a dense population of motivated and talented student athletes? It seems like this should be something that is appreciated and respected, not criticized.

Let me see if I understand this Blame thinks Don Bosco is committing fraud with their official BEDS number?

I am normaly not defending prvates , however teams like dowling, heelan etc. would win year in and year out simply because of #s. S.E. has only 33 on roster and 13 are seniors. S.E. will be nothing like they are this year and for the forseeable future and I am guessing smaller schools are in same boat where you might be good for 2-4 yrs then back to avg. or below. Newman was good just 2 yrs ago but a large athletic class graduated now look at them,same will happen to st. eds next year or 2. Goin deep is off the deep end with his assessment with last nights game 14-6 with about 9 minutes to go score by SE then 2 quick T.Os game over. Great football game though!!

Originally posted by cidhawkeye:
Let me see if I understand this Blame thinks Don Bosco is committing fraud with their official BEDS number?
yes, they (or any other private school) could do so and nobody could do anything about it.

Private schools, private records.

That's life.

Again, its about football in the end.

the better team always wins.
Regina has been one of the best in the nation over the past 50 months.
They've earned their wins.

Originally posted by BigDan21:
Let's widen the spectrum of this debate here a little bit. I'm not going to dispute that private schools have an advantage in high school sports. They certainly do. But, I will qualify that by saying that this is not an UNFAIR advantage. Why punish a school that happens to have a dense population of motivated and talented student athletes? It seems like this should be something that is appreciated and respected, not criticized.
There is certainly much that can be appreciated and respected about private schools. I'm not sure that preferential success in sports is supposed to be one of them. That so many different states and populations have entertained different means and methods to address this apparent preferential success should be viewed with a critical eye.

Some make the argument "Why punish a school that happens to have a dense population of motivated and talented student athletes?" I think that is a distorted viewpoint. "Just happens" seems to suggest that the population of motivated and talented student athletes convened by accident or random chance. Of course this is not true, and for some, herein is where the rub is. People choose to attend private schools. The fact is, it is a privileged population of people that grace the classrooms in the private school institutions. That is not a bad thing; it is part of the American way, to improve one's lot. But when did such lofty dreams devolve to including "improving the odds" that little johnny will win a state championship?

That winning a state girl's soccer championship is now a question of who has the means and circumstances to attend a particular private school is gross to me. The system has been hijacked. And, unfortunately, I'm not certain that most private schools would survive without such a simple lure as athletic superiority. It is also true that there are a whole bunch of similar-type issues in the public school system that contributes to a similar problem, especially in larger cities. I'm not sure what the solution is, but there is no question there is a problem.

This post was edited on 10/18 7:20 PM by NorseHorse

First of all let me clear something up. Last nights game between SE and SE Valley was never in doubt. The minute the Gaels stepped on that field we all knew who was going to win that game. Even when the score was14-6, the Gaels were still in control of that game. The Gaels were flat and did not play well. I expected a let down by them because of playing three tough oppents in a row. That does not take away from the fact that the Jaguers played a great game. The Gaels were always one play away from scoring all night. Valley has some really great kids on their team. I think they have done a great job in their first year in 2A and as a new school. Hats off to them.

Secondly, this public/private thing is like beating a dead horse. All you haters of private schools get over it. What you going to when the state of Iowa goes to a voucher system for all education and more and more kids will have the ability to go toscool wherever they want? I feel safe in saying this going to happen within the next ten years. I would bet the house on it!

Usually, people who hate on other people usually see something in themselves they do not like.

Originally posted by cidhawkeye:
yes, they (or any other private school) could do so and nobody could do anything about it.

Private schools, private records.

That's life.

Again, its about football in the end.

the better team always wins.
Regina has been one of the best in the nation over the past 50 months.
They've earned their wins.
Saying they could and saying they do are two very different things. And I doubt these schools are falsely reporting their enrollments. That's the straw man argument to end all straw man arguments.

Greenvapour, I never said anything about which team was better or not all I said is it was 14-6 with about 9 minutes to go you have to realize that is a moral victory for the jags but in reality it really didn't matter who won or lost (outside of being undefeated) because it was a non distict race. After talking to several ST. EDS fans at halftime your gaels will nowhere be as strong next year so enjoy this year while you got it because the future looks bleak ( Southeast Valley30 ST EDS 8 in jv on Thursday plus our 8th grade won handily and 7th came done to the wire)
P.S. See you in DODGER STADIUM NEXT YEAR!!!!!

Originally posted by warriors dad:

Greenvapour, I never said anything about which team was better or not all I said is it was 14-6 with about 9 minutes to go you have to realize that is a moral victory for the jags but in reality it really didn't matter who won or lost (outside of being undefeated) because it was a non distict race. After talking to several ST. EDS fans at halftime your gaels will nowhere be as strong next year so enjoy this year while you got it because the future looks bleak ( Southeast Valley30 ST EDS 8 in jv on Thursday plus our 8th grade won handily and 7th came done to the wire)
P.S. See you in DODGER STADIUM NEXT YEAR!!!!!
Lol, already looking forward to next year. You guys must really relish the chance to beat St. Eds, especially now that you have combined forces (don't worry, you don't have to pretend you don't. I talk to your fans).
smokin.r191677.gif

Don't underestimate the younger Gael players' ability to progress as they get older and take that next-man-in step into their role on the varsity team.

P.S. that JV score was also closer than the final suggests. Just sayin.
wink.r191677.gif

There is an awful lot of interesting thoughts in this thread and some pretty broad generalizations in this thread. 'So many' states doing things to address this, less then half the states have done 'something' about it. That getting a state championship is why kids choose a school, pretty certain that in 1959 when my parents decided to go to Regina that they never considered a state championship. Implying that schools are falsifying BEDS because they can. It's interesting the thought processes that go on.

The Gaels have had a good run over the last two years in football. It's great see the hard work and effort pay off for these boys. But don't for a minute other teams and students work hard and see no fruit for their hard work. Sometimes things just to click for a certain group of kids. I have very much enjoyed the last two years Warroir Dad. I am very proud of these kids. However, I will be just as proud of our kids next year and the years after that when they may not be as successful. I will enjoy watching those teams as well. For me, it is not all about winning. You may recall I started a post several weeks ago about Woodward Acadmey. I thoroughly enjoyed watching that game not because the Gaels won but because of the effort and school spirit of those kids. WA never gave up. I praised those kids and will do so in the future. Winning is fun but nothing gives me more enjoyment than seeing kids try hard and play football because they love playing it. Your team may beat SE next year by a wide margin but just remember I will be proud of all the kids on the field that night. Sports are are not about winning but enjoying the game and the kids.

So yea, some of you haters out who despise private schools because they are private, will take great joy when the Eddie's and other private schools fall off next year. As for me, I look forward to state touraments in all sports and activies because i get to see really great kids excell in their given sport or activity. And if my team happens to be lucky enough to get there, I will happily cheer for them.

Not trying to be cocky here Darkthunder but your analysis of that JV game is not what I have gathered. I heard that SE scored on their first possession with a long pass and then never got any drive going again, while SV scored 30 unanswered. Not to mention your head boys basketball coach was a referee
wink.r191677.gif
Regardless it should be a good game next year and I'm looking forward to it. Good luck for the rest of the season.
This post was edited on 10/19 10:11 PM by Makeweight35

If I ever break down and analyze a JV high school football game, I give everybody on here permission to smack some sense into me. As if discussing varsity sports isn't trivial and sad enough...

That's well said, greenvapour....not sure a majority of people inside a school community share your thoughts, but I think you hit the nail on the head. Some years you have it, some you don't. Had a college coach tell me one time, and I'm sure he's not the first to have said it, "it's not the x's and the o's-it's the jimmy's and the joe's"- schools hit talent cycles or they have seasons where injuries, etc. hit their team. I heard Nick Saban say after the Alabama/Texas A.& M game the other day that there are 3 things that take zero talent- effort, toughness, and the discipline to execute. I thought that was really good- because that is what you want to see young people do. If they do that- they might win-they might not...doesn't mean their experience hasn't been worthwhile and it doesn't mean they haven't learned some great lessons from participating in athletics.

I would not throw dirt on FDSE after this year- they will still have some talent in the backfield and with the offense they run- if they can get some kids to come around a little bit- they will still be tough to beat.

When are people going to realize the reason the private schools are successful is first off the kids. Their attitudes and work ethic is while they are so successful. These kids at these schools are forced to play both ways and many are very smart. I mean these kids understand the game and their role on the field. They trust their teammates and their coaches. The next is great coaching. You have some coaches on those private schools staff who work for nothing. They coach because they love the game and enjoy teaching todays youth about sports. There are former players on a quite of few of these private schools staffs and they get paid next to nothing. They coach for the love of the game and they make their players better.

I have seen great coaches at the public schools as well. Like one other poster said, some year teams have it and some years they don't. These past couple of years the private schools have had the talent to be successful. Is that going to continue? Who knows, but recently the private schools have faired well. Whose to say in 5 years no private school wins a championship, then are we going to have a debate about the public schools being too successful? IDK just seems like a stupid argument to have. Win or lose football is a great sport and those kids are putting it all on the line every Friday night. Enjoy the games and support your school.

SE may not be a top 5 team next season but I think people are premature in writing them off. I would still expect them to be better than SEV next season and a top 15 team. Many SE supporters see they are losing Peed, Hindt, Bocken and a few other quality seniors but they also will return several strong athletes with another year of experience and development. They will still have O'Toole, Flattery and expect the freshman Naughton and sophomore Logan Fear to be really good players. Woodruff, Kersten, Klemp, Birzer and Touney have also played in varsity games this season.

They have some good sized young players coming back as well:

Woodruff 6'4" 180 Fr
Reed 6'5" 195 Jr
Flaherty 6'2" 215 Fr
Flattery 6'1" 175 Jr
O'Toole 6'0" 185 Jr
Touney 6'0" 190 Jr
Peart 6'0" 170 So
Dolye 5'10" 175 So
Fear 6'0" 170 So
Naughton 5'10" 160 Fr

This post was edited on 10/20 9:25 AM by CP84

SE loses their ENTIRE offensive and defensive lines. For a power running team, that arguably the most important part of their team. They do return an excellent RB, and a weak side TE on offense, and their best LB on defense. But that's it. No other athletes even get time in varsity games when they are still in question. A few underclassmen get time in the backfield when they are winning by a large margin, but they basically leave the starting OL in.

That many quality seniors is a huge benefit for this season, but will be exceptionally difficult to replace next year. They will struggle in district next year as most other teams in the district play numerous underclassmen. D7 has been a bloodbath week in and week out for everyone except SE this year, and I don't see it changing much next year. I would not be shocked to see St Edmond on the outside of the playoff picture at this time next year.

SE only has one Flattery on the team? WTH?

Originally posted by CP84:
SE may not be a top 5 team next season but I think people are premature in writing them off. I would still expect them to be better than SEV next season and a top 15 team. Many SE supporters see they are losing Peed, Hindt, Bocken and a few other quality seniors but they also will return several strong athletes with another year of experience and development. They will still have O'Toole, Flattery and expect the freshman Naughton and sophomore Logan Fear to be really good players. Woodruff, Kersten, Klemp, Birzer and Touney have also played in varsity games this season.

They have some good sized young players coming back as well:

Woodruff 6'4" 180 Fr
Reed 6'5" 195 Jr
Flaherty 6'2" 215 Fr
Flattery 6'1" 175 Jr
O'Toole 6'0" 185 Jr
Touney 6'0" 190 Jr
Peart 6'0" 170 So
Dolye 5'10" 175 So
Fear 6'0" 170 So
Naughton 5'10" 160 Fr

This post was edited on 10/20 9:25 AM by CP84

Originally posted by HaydenHawk8:
When are people going to realize the reason the private schools are successful is first off the kids. Their attitudes and work ethic is while they are so successful. These kids at these schools are forced to play both ways and many are very smart. I mean these kids understand the game and their role on the field. They trust their teammates and their coaches. The next is great coaching. You have some coaches on those private schools staff who work for nothing. They coach because they love the game and enjoy teaching todays youth about sports. There are former players on a quite of few of these private schools staffs and they get paid next to nothing. They coach for the love of the game and they make their players better.

I have seen great coaches at the public schools as well. Like one other poster said, some year teams have it and some years they don't. These past couple of years the private schools have had the talent to be successful. Is that going to continue? Who knows, but recently the private schools have faired well. Whose to say in 5 years no private school wins a championship, then are we going to have a debate about the public schools being too successful? IDK just seems like a stupid argument to have. Win or lose football is a great sport and those kids are putting it all on the line every Friday night. Enjoy the games and support your school.
Good point you bring up about private school success, as a record low was matched this past year in basketball for number of private schools in the state field. The two that made it won it all, but then they were clearly the best two in their respective classes.

Originally posted by Bringin the Heat:
SE loses their ENTIRE offensive and defensive lines. For a power running team, that arguably the most important part of their team. They do return an excellent RB, and a weak side TE on offense, and their best LB on defense. But that's it. No other athletes even get time in varsity games when they are still in question. A few underclassmen get time in the backfield when they are winning by a large margin, but they basically leave the starting OL in.

That many quality seniors is a huge benefit for this season, but will be exceptionally difficult to replace next year. They will struggle in district next year as most other teams in the district play numerous underclassmen. D7 has been a bloodbath week in and week out for everyone except SE this year, and I don't see it changing much next year. I would not be shocked to see St Edmond on the outside of the playoff picture at this time next year.
It's really just gonna depend on how hard the younger kids work in the off-season.

They'll be smaller over the next few years on the lines than they have been, but then that's never really seemed to hinder the Gaels too much.

I think in the next 3-4 of years they may actually have quite a few kids capable enough to give SE a good passing attack if they so chose to explore that option.
wink.r191677.gif

(Not that they don't have a couple good ones now, but when you could have as many as they might I don't see why they wouldn't. And to be honest, if you look at past SE teams that have thrown much more than these last 2 groups, they've done so because they either didn't have as dominant a run game as they have now (these past 2 have shattered records) or they had enough athletes to do so (2008-2011).

SE is a team that will pass when they need to, and in the next few years they're probably gonna need to more than they currently do.

BigDan-I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. It isn't always a dense population of motivated and talented student athletes. Those children have a higher % of two parent homes. Those two parent homes have more income. That income leads to more opportunities. Those opportunities lead to more success on the field, court, classroom, stage, etc. The areas of generational poverty have hard working kids. Those kids just have to spend their time working hard at Burger King, Wendy's, etc. They go to school then go to work for 20-30 hours a week to support their family. So what sacrifices do those kids make...they makethe sacrifice of extra-curricular activities. The demographics of this state have been and continue to change.

The state has said they will not do a multiplier b/c of the potential outrage about sending ________________ High School (predominately African-American) to play a playoff game vs. ______________ High School (predominately white). They proved it this week with their ruling during the Ames High/East High situation.

Originally posted by hoopsfan2323:
BigDan-I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. It isn't always a dense population of motivated and talented student athletes. Those children have a higher % of two parent homes. Those two parent homes have more income. That income leads to more opportunities. Those opportunities lead to more success on the field, court, classroom, stage, etc. The areas of generational poverty have hard working kids. Those kids just have to spend their time working hard at Burger King, Wendy's, etc. They go to school then go to work for 20-30 hours a week to support their family. So what sacrifices do those kids make...they makethe sacrifice of extra-curricular activities. The demographics of this state have been and continue to change.

The state has said they will not do a multiplier b/c of the potential outrage about sending ________________ High School (predominately African-American) to play a playoff game vs. ______________ High School (predominately white). They proved it this week with their ruling during the Ames High/East High situation.
I know several high school students who attend private schools and are working at Burger King and other fast food joints. Not all kids who attend private schools are rich. My college roommate attended a private school and his parents lived paycheck to paycheck so he could attend a good school and get a great education. They actually car pooled to work and school as a family so they could afford his tuition. Served him right as he is now a professor at major university in the south. And he is paying his parents back every way possible.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT