ADVERTISEMENT

Regina Van Meter

Just to throw a monkey in - I'm extremely disappointed in that IHSAA sold out on the TV rights for semis and finals. The girls kept it local and FREE for we the parent taxpayers (to our local schools) while the boys of Boone sold us out. We received an email from our school district's AD as to how to watch the semis and finals on the internet. It only works if you have certain connections, like DISH, etc. It just plain stinks. Who in heavens name has any connection with Chicago? This is Iowa and for the money we spend on our schools, we should be able to watch it for FREE like we used to on IPTV. Every Iowan should email, write, text, call to the boys of Boone and let them know that they screwed up and need to correct it, and stop filling their coffers. I'd wager that the Boone boys / IHSAA doesn't buy the trophies, but they are most likely bought by people like Farm Bureau or Fareway, etc. So they don't need TV rights money for that.

I could not agree more. It is crap what the IHSAA is doing. As the norm, completely and fully about the money. Money is priority one. Somewhere down the line in their priorities I am guessing that kids, school, and Iowa communities show up. So disappointing but not surprising.

Van Meter is strong. They really took off when Rick Roberts came back and joined their staff. Not many 1A staffs have an assistant that his pedigree.

Van Meter is strong. They really took off when Rick Roberts came back and joined their staff. Not many 1A staffs have an assistant that his pedigree.

Coaching plays a huge role at this level. Who is going to pull the rabbit out of the hat. Has VM been a big play team all year?

US you have little to no clue on how prevalent OE is across the state.

Which posters have disappeared? Looks pretty standard to me.

Also, this recruiting talk between West Branch and Regina is getting annoying. 95% of the teams in 1A haven’t had a student athlete open enroll for sports in 10+ years and here are Regina and West Branch arguing on who “recruits” more every year. Bottom line is both schools do it, and most others in the state don’t.
I agree with you and have said this is an old topic at the beginning of the year when it was first brought up under an unrelated thread. However, comments such as the bolded one above just fuel the fire and are unsubstantiated. Schools that win become targets. Two Catholic schools won handily today. If two more win tomorrow, well be talking about recruiting AND the multiplier. BARF!!!!! Good luck to Van Meter and Regina tomorrow.

Who said the 3 touchdown thing?

NWIAHAWKFAN under the "semifinal" thread

CID, since the open enrollment and recruiting topic is old. Would you like to weigh in on your Regals for this game. It looks like most people are picking Van Meter. I know who you are rooting for, but . . . . care to put any predictions out there?

'm looking forward to the game today. I don't know much about Van Meter, to be honest, but they are undefeated and beat West Lyon (which I did not expect). Regina hasn't been as dominant as in year's past. They were outmatched against Solon and Xavier, but are a pretty damn good 1A team.They've had some tough games in the playoffs. Western beat Regina last year in the championship. Will it be two runner-ups in two years?

Hopefully there will be two state champions in Iowa City today.

Hoping for two ic champions today as well. I haven't seen as much of the Regals this year. Playmakers need to make plays, the new footballs in the dome seem to bother the Regals more than others as they put it on the ground more there than normal. I have seen sleeves taken off during games, kids with zero fumbles put it down a couple of times and listening to a center complain about all 4 times he had to snap them. Will the coaches come up with some surprises? Not a change of system but some 'trickeration' while limiting the VM big plays. The SCN network will be at the event with it's full reporting team there to ensure great coverage. Should be a good one.

Reactions: Bluejay89
So West Branch hasn’t had any open enrollees reacently? Ok

You inferred that WB recruits. That's the BS comment.
Re-read your post. When you end a sentence with an idea - and continue defending the idea in the following sentence - you've maintained the thought.

Here's your post:

Also, this recruiting talk between West Branch and Regina is getting annoying. 95% of the teams in 1A haven’t had a student athlete open enroll for sports in 10+ years and here are Regina and West Branch arguing on who “recruits” more every year. Bottom line is both schools do it, and most others in the state don’t.

You inferred that WB recruits. That's the BS comment.
Re-read your post. When you end a sentence with an idea - and continue defending the idea in the following sentence - you've maintained the thought.

Here's your post:

He was right 'most' don't, they all DO. To think otherwise is ludicrous. It takes all different forms, but it happens.

I AM A WEST LIBERTY COMET.

Just wanted to get that out there before this begins. If anyone should've been upset about a move to a rival sports community, it should be me.

There are far more details about them that you guys do not know. It's not as cut and dry as some of the Regal fans on here have made it (which is pretty damned ironic). Families go through times of struggle. This was one of them times for the family.

I laugh at some of the drivel that has been batted about. People have no idea what was happening in the lives of that family in 2015. You need to remember that there are innocent, hurting people involved before you spat of random comments (I am talking to you, Pinehawk).

COOPER KOENIG was not RECRUITED to West Branch. Period. End of discussion. The family was dealing with some things and made the decision to move.

WBBearsFollower: I have no idea who you are or what your ties are to the family. I know that you obviously know them now. I went to HS with both of the parents. I've known their family for 40 years. They are still close friends of ours. So please be careful with how you paint the picture. There are sensitive things that should never be posted on some ragtag internet page. But I can see you care about the family and especially the kids. Just stay away from this. You seem like a lightning rod. Just being honest with you, buddy.

Well then West Branch must not have a 'zero open enrollment' policy, because Cooper transferred mid-season to play basketball for West Branch while Tatum was still playing basketball for West Liberty.

A kid and his father move to a different town in February. He plays basketball for a month and then plays baseball (stars for the team, actually. 1st team all-state) for the HS team in the spring. Side note: the new school's team won a grand total of 3 games.

His mother, brother, and sister remain in the other town until May and then move to be with the remainder of the family. The brother played golf as par of a state championship program that spring.

Same scenario. Different year.
Who was the kid in the scenario above? My brother.
Who was the brother that remained in the old town? Me.
100% true story.

My brother wasn't recruited to the town. We moved for job and financial reasons. Not for sports. Although my brother was a phenomenal all-around athlete.

Please tell me how my family's scenario is any different than the one you've quoted above. You can't because it is no different. In fact, it is almost literally a reverse move. We lived in WB and moved to a fairly nearby community.

Last edited:
I wasn’t trying to stir the pot and I see that was the result.

Some schools consistently have new student athletes show up on the door step year after year for what ever reasons and the other 95% of schools in 1A don’t. Open enroll, parents relocating, recruited to support tuition, whatever. Things happen I get it, private schools need to pay the bills I get it.

I only posted on the topic out of annoyance really. Too many posts on the board are based on Regina recruiting. Most of the posts come from what I view as West Branch supporters (I may be wrong sorry). Which is strange to me because West Branch gets more new student athletes than any public school I am familiar with.

Can't tell if that is sarcasm or not, but he is the old Van Meter head coach who is an assistant coach and also the AD, he had quite a bit of success back in the 90s

Since we are on the topic of VM, I'd be interested to hear a take on VM for next year from VM folks. VM has been solid over the past several years. It appears they were a fairly senior-laden team. Any thoughts on what next year will bring for VM? Will they challenge for another title?

Pretty sure he is new to coaching last year.
Who? Rick Roberts? He was a long time VM HC in the 90s. Very successful. Maybe into the early 2000s as well. Then took over the HC job at 4A East and actually turned them from door mat circle the W before the season starts type of team to a competitive CIML program. That....

Well however it went down it looks like VM has it figured out. Pretty much dismantled Regina in the finals. Regina looked extremely frustrated .... players and coaches. VM looked much faster also. What does VM have coming up as I see they had a bunch of seniors this year? I did appreciate finally seeing a public school win the championship in 1A. I don't however buy into the whole recruiting tirade people go on. Get better!

Well however it went down it looks like VM has it figured out. Pretty much dismantled Regina in the finals. Regina looked extremely frustrated .... players and coaches. VM looked much faster also. What does VM have coming up as I see they had a bunch of seniors this year? I did appreciate finally seeing a public school win the championship in 1A. I don't however buy into the whole recruiting tirade people go on. Get better!

I'm not sure I'd say "dismantled," however, VM was the better team. Statistically, this game was fairly even, but statistics can be deceiving. VM won this game by players making plays which became big plays that changed the game. A few to think of; 1. The big run by #27 to set up the first TD. 2. The Regina fumble on the QB sneak on 4th down (didn't capitalize on this opportunity but did stop some Regina momentum on the drive). 3. The weird bobbled, pick, that was kicked for a catch and TD. 4. The big punt return (again by #27) to set up the 3rd TD. Regina's 4 turnovers didn't help (2 were in desperation in each half and had no bearing). VM played clean and had no turnovers. Clearly, all credit goes to VM for making plays but I really didn't see this as a dominant game by VM other than score. I pulled a few statistics off the box score. Didn't list them all as I didn't think they were that critical the post. A great season by many teams. With the new classification, should be an interesting season in 1A next year.
VM REGINA

FIRST DOWNS................... 16 13
NET YARDS RUSHING............. 241 179
Rushing Attempts............ 40 32
NET YARDS PASSING............. 76 51
Completions-Attempts-Int.... 6-11-0 10-25-3
TOTAL OFFENSE YARDS........... 317 230
Total offense plays......... 51 57
Average Gain Per Play....... 6.2 4.0
Fumbles: Number-Lost.......... 1-0 1-1
Penalties: Number-Yards....... 5-60 6-41
Interceptions: Number-Yds-TD.. 3-6-0 0-0-0
Possession Time............... 23:59 24:01
Third-Down Conversions........ 4 of 9 2 of 12
Fourth-Down Conversions....... 0 of 0 0 of 3
Red-Zone Scores-Chances....... 2-2 0-0
Sacks By: Number-Yards........ 0-0 0-0

I'm not sure I'd say "dismantled," however, VM was the better team. Statistically, this game was fairly even, but statistics can be deceiving. VM won this game by players making plays which became big plays that changed the game. A few to think of; 1. The big run by #27 to set up the first TD. 2. The Regina fumble on the QB sneak on 4th down (didn't capitalize on this opportunity but did stop some Regina momentum on the drive). 3. The weird bobbled, pick, that was kicked for a catch and TD. 4. The big punt return (again by #27) to set up the 3rd TD. Regina's 4 turnovers didn't help (2 were in desperation in each half and had no bearing). VM played clean and had no turnovers. Clearly, all credit goes to VM for making plays but I really didn't see this as a dominant game by VM other than score. I pulled a few statistics off the box score. Didn't list them all as I didn't think they were that critical the post. A great season by many teams. With the new classification, should be an interesting season in 1A next year.
VM REGINA

FIRST DOWNS................... 16 13
NET YARDS RUSHING............. 241 179
Rushing Attempts............ 40 32
NET YARDS PASSING............. 76 51
Completions-Attempts-Int.... 6-11-0 10-25-3
TOTAL OFFENSE YARDS........... 317 230
Total offense plays......... 51 57
Average Gain Per Play....... 6.2 4.0
Fumbles: Number-Lost.......... 1-0 1-1
Penalties: Number-Yards....... 5-60 6-41
Interceptions: Number-Yds-TD.. 3-6-0 0-0-0
Possession Time............... 23:59 24:01
Third-Down Conversions........ 4 of 9 2 of 12
Fourth-Down Conversions....... 0 of 0 0 of 3
Red-Zone Scores-Chances....... 2-2 0-0
Sacks By: Number-Yards........ 0-0 0-0

2 of 12 on 3rd downs and 10-25 passing kind of sealed the deal. 317-230 total yards is somewhat of a dominant margin.

2 of 12 on 3rd downs and 10-25 passing kind of sealed the deal. 317-230 total yards is somewhat of a dominant margin.
I agree with 2 out of 3. 3rd downs and 10/25 passing. Not sure I think the overall yardage was a big factor. Although, add in the punt return to yardage and the margin gets much wider. Point well taken.

I agree with 2 out of 3. 3rd downs and 10/25 passing. Not sure I think the overall yardage was a big factor. Although, add in the punt return to yardage and the margin gets much wider. Point well taken.

VM made bigger plays. The Regals lacked in big plays this year for whatever reason.

Agreed. I said that on a different thread I believe. VM playmakers made plays. Other than the one Vollstedt TD run, Regina didn't. Credit to VM for that.

Have to give credit to the Regina (or seem to be) posters here. Quite sure I haven't seen one excuse or even complaint regarding the state final loss to VM. Statistical analysis yes, factual bias maybe but no complaints. Also VM is given much credit for their performance. I realize when u already have a plethora of titles it's easier to be gracious in defeat, but it's still a new year and everyone wants to win. Good job to Regina people for the honest dialogue and description of the loss to VM.

Reactions: Pinehawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT