ADVERTISEMENT

Regina Van Meter

Nov 11, 2017
I must say Regina once again displays the clutch gene today. Much credit to PC for fighting back as well. How do people feel VM matches up against Regina?

I said it last year and it bit me. Until you beat the champ, your not the champ. Regina was beaten last year, so they're not the champ. However, they have still done it time and time again. VM looks dangerous. Nice combo between running and passing. Solid defense. Does Regina have enough tradition and "clutch" plays in them? Time will tell. VM is a quality team. Really thought WL would beat them. Kudoz to VM. They played a great game. Should be a great championship game.

VM is one heck of a team. I would predict 7+ point victory in the championship game. One major factor is the health of Vollstedt. He looked like he was concussed during their game Saturday.

VM is one heck of a team. I would predict 7+ point victory in the championship game. One major factor is the health of Vollstedt. He looked like he was concussed during their game Saturday.
Regina would be screwed without Vollstedt. He seems to be the whole team. Without Vollstedt, Regina has no chance in this game.

Don't get me wrong, Regina is a very good team. Vollstedt is the straw that stirs the drink though.

Vollestedt does not have a concussion. I suspect he'll be ready to go and play well in his final high school football game.
He is an absolutely outstanding player, but Regina is far deeper than any one player. Their depth is a big reason you see them year after year.

Against Pella Christian, Vollestedt accounted for 61 total yards and 1 TD. Regina threw for 388 yards in the game and he didn't have any receiving yards.

I suspect you won't see many other teams in the Dome with freshman contributing on the stat sheet the way the Regals do. 163 yards for the freshman on offense including what might be a record long TD pass for a freshman in a State Tournament game when Ashton Cook threw a huge 88 yard TD bomb that turned out to be the points Regina needed to win.

The future looks bright for the Regals, but I will sure miss watching Vollestedt play, he is one of the toughest kids I've seen play. Excited for the Championship game, should be a good one.

Vollestedt does not have a concussion. I suspect he'll be ready to go and play well in his final high school football game.
He is an absolutely outstanding player, but Regina is far deeper than any one player. Their depth is a big reason you see them year after year.

Against Pella Christian, Vollestedt accounted for 61 total yards and 1 TD. Regina threw for 388 yards in the game and he didn't have any receiving yards.

I suspect you won't see many other teams in the Dome with freshman contributing on the stat sheet the way the Regals do. 163 yards for the freshman on offense including what might be a record long TD pass for a freshman in a State Tournament game when Ashton Cook threw a huge 88 yard TD bomb that turned out to be the points Regina needed to win.

The future looks bright for the Regals, but I will sure miss watching Vollestedt play, he is one of the toughest kids I've seen play. Excited for the Championship game, should be a good one.

I would be very surprised if Vollstedt did not suffer a concussion. He looked like he didn’t know where he was on the field/sideline on two different occasions. The second time two coaches walked him off the field.

But I guess all kids take hits differently. He is one tough and talented player. I hope you are right and he is ready to go.

Ashton Cook has the potential to be an elite QB, for sure. He'll be fun to watch. Wagner will also be a great player. How does the depth of Regina linemen look in the younger grades?

That's quite impressive. I didn't realize Vollstedt had so few of carries and yards. Definitely wasn't aware that a freshman threw that bomb. Quite impressive. This is definitely one of the keys to Regina's success. Every year you think they will be down and they do find players to step in/up. I realize many of these 2nd and 3rd-teamers get significant varsity action in blowouts throughout the year to prepare them for the big time.

Vollstedt Is arguably the best linebacker in class 1A. Hes also a fantastic kicker. It's not just at running back where he would be missed.

But like I have said to many people, Phillips is the best athlete on the field. He goes unused far too often

That's quite impressive. I didn't realize Vollstedt had so few of carries and yards. Definitely wasn't aware that a freshman threw that bomb. Quite impressive. This is definitely one of the keys to Regina's success. Every year you think they will be down and they do find players to step in/up. I realize many of these 2nd and 3rd-teamers get significant varsity action in blowouts throughout the year to prepare them for the big time.

I know they got obliterated at the 8th grade level by a certain team.

I have to agree with Pine that Regina is very dangerous beyond IV. However, he is an integral part of all three phases for them. He is a force on defense! What I truly want to know is how will VM’s coaching staff adjust or react if they do get down? I seen on their season scores today they have hardly been down...

I know they got obliterated at the 8th grade level by a certain team.

That has happened before at the lower levels. By a few schools. One very successful varsity coach brings up their non varsity beat down fairly frequently to me. Part of the process.

I assume the "certain team" must be WB. WB varsity has many returning next year. Regina will be minus some very critical players. Does this mean that next year may be the year that WB can take a step up and make it to the Dome? Perhaps WB will have the upper hand en eastern Iowa next year. With the new classification, could be interesting if projections become true and Hudson, DNH, and Cascade enter 1A. I guess, I digress on this topic since it is a Regina-Van Meter final thread.

I see one projection on this string so far, VM by 7. Any other takers? Seems quiet and I know there are opinions on this board! I am going with experience and Regina wins this game closely. Regina has found a way to win so far and I think they find a way again.

I assume the "certain team" must be WB. WB varsity has many returning next year. Regina will be minus some very critical players. Does this mean that next year may be the year that WB can take a step up and make it to the Dome? Perhaps WB will have the upper hand en eastern Iowa next year. With the new classification, could be interesting if projections become true and Hudson, DNH, and Cascade enter 1A. I guess, I digress on this topic since it is a Regina-Van Meter final thread.

No way WB makes it to the Dome unless they find a couple of O-Linemen.
Better hit the recruiting trail.

Reactions: Bluejay89
On paper Van Meter should win this game. But I also thought Pella Christian would beat Regina by a couple of touchdowns last week. Regina has been there before and their coaches game plan better than anyone in class 1A.

But I still think after watching the semifinals that Van Meter wins by 7. They were very impressive against West Lyon.

Regina wins a classic.
They match up well with Van Meter. Cole White will be the key player.
If healthy, Vollstedt will have his carries and yards. If Regina wins, a couple of players will have stepped up to make plays. The WR stepped up in the semis. A couple of unsung heroes, not the studs will have to make the plays for Regina in this game. VM will pay a lot of attention to the usual Regina playmakers.

Reactions: Pinehawk
That has worked well for WB at the QB position.

Koenigs family moved to WB. Physically moved. West Liberty has a zero open enrollment policy. That means you cannot live in West Liberty and open enroll to another school. It would be different if they had a fake address.

Cornwell visited 3 schools before choosing to go to WB. His mother's family live in WB. So it's not that far fetched, is it?

Do you wanna play this game with me? Meet me somewhere sometime and we will talk about this like humans. I'll bring the families of these kids you continue to lie about. You can tell it to them and see yourself get shot down.

The biggest difference between what other people say about the kids at your school, and what you're saying about the kids at West Branch/Public schools: it a fact that Regina recruits students. There is no factual evidence that a public school recruits students. None whatsoever. It is just your Psychobabble BS.

Here we go again! Wasn't this a Regina-VM thread? We know all private schools recruit. And by recruit I mean attempt to attract students to pay and go there. No different than a business trying to attract clients. This topic is old. And about WB "recruiting," who cares. It's old. If they do, they do. If they don't, they don't. Private schools will always get accused of recruiting athletes, especially if they're winning. I guess each team has to be comfortable in their own skin. Regals to beat VM in a tight one.

Koenigs family moved to WB. Physically moved. West Liberty has a zero open enrollment policy. That means you cannot live in West Liberty and open enroll to another school. It would be different if they had a fake address.

Well then West Branch must not have a 'zero open enrollment' policy, because Cooper transferred mid-season to play basketball for West Branch while Tatum was still playing basketball for West Liberty.

The state allows for students who parents move to another school district to stay in their previous school district without punishment. However, if they then choose to switch to the school district they moved to they have to sit out the 90 days.

Anyway back to the thread topic. I see Van Meter winning a close game. I was very impressed by what I saw from them in the semifinals. I would take VM by a couple of touchdowns, but as mentioned earlier Regina having been there year after year is an advantage for them that I think keeps this game close.

The state allows for students who parents move to another school district to stay in their previous school district without punishment. However, if they then choose to switch to the school district they moved to they have to sit out the 90 days.

Anyway back to the thread topic. I see Van Meter winning a close game. I was very impressed by what I saw from them in the semifinals. I would take VM by a couple of touchdowns, but as mentioned earlier Regina having been there year after year is an advantage for them that I think keeps this game close.
Interesting take on the game. Can't say that I disagree a bunch. I think 2 touchdowns might be a bit steep. The board doesn't seem to have a lot of "love" for Regina since losing their first two games. Not sure that's a fair assessment. They seem to have a knack for winning close games this year (haven't always had close games in the past). I just can't bet against Regina yet.

I had the same gut feeling last year when they played Western. To me it used to be that Regina could name the score, and in the past couple of seasons while they have been very good I don't think they have been as dominate in the playoffs when playing teams from other districts. They struggled with South Winn this year while Van Meter handled Denver who won that district. I know you shouldn't compare scores, I just see Van Meter winning this game.

But as always Regina is well coached and will play a good game.

I had the same gut feeling last year when they played Western. To me it used to be that Regina could name the score, and in the past couple of seasons while they have been very good I don't think they have been as dominate in the playoffs when playing teams from other districts. They struggled with South Winn this year while Van Meter handled Denver who won that district. I know you shouldn't compare scores, I just see Van Meter winning this game.

But as always Regina is well coached and will play a good game.
I agree with what you are saying. Regina is definitely not dominating teams like they used to. They used to blow teams out in the finals. That cannot be expected or sustained. That being said, I guess that is what makes this run still so impressive. Even when reloading or rebuilding, they continue to find ways to win even when the talent level is comparable. Perhaps even less talent. That is likely good coaching. Also likely kids doing the work. That being said, you are right, comparing scores is not necessarily indicative. I would also note that South Winn and Denver played in week 3 and it also was a very close game. I have heard SW was missing players early in the year but have no idea if that is true. I look forward to the game on Friday. I hope I can have better luck viewing or streaming it because the Association has really screwed that up.

Van Meter looks like a team on a mission similar to Western last year and hasn't skipped a beat even vs an incredibly tough West Lyon team that was originally picked walk its way to the championship. Regina is always very well coached and ready for all situations, but this year at least Regina has shown a few more holes in its armor than Van Meter.

Tight game in first half, but I'll take Van Meter by 11

Just to throw a monkey in - I'm extremely disappointed in that IHSAA sold out on the TV rights for semis and finals. The girls kept it local and FREE for we the parent taxpayers (to our local schools) while the boys of Boone sold us out. We received an email from our school district's AD as to how to watch the semis and finals on the internet. It only works if you have certain connections, like DISH, etc. It just plain stinks. Who in heavens name has any connection with Chicago? This is Iowa and for the money we spend on our schools, we should be able to watch it for FREE like we used to on IPTV. Every Iowan should email, write, text, call to the boys of Boone and let them know that they screwed up and need to correct it, and stop filling their coffers. I'd wager that the Boone boys / IHSAA doesn't buy the trophies, but they are most likely bought by people like Farm Bureau or Fareway, etc. So they don't need TV rights money for that.

Cornwell visited 3 schools before choosing to go to WB. His mother's family live in WB. So it's not that far fetched, is it?

Do you wanna play this game with me? Meet me somewhere sometime and we will talk about this like humans. I'll bring the families of these kids you continue to lie about. You can tell it to them and see yourself get shot down.

The biggest difference between what other people say about the kids at your school, and what you're saying about the kids at West Branch/Public schools: it a fact that Regina recruits students. There is no factual evidence that a public school recruits students. None whatsoever. It is just your Psychobabble BS.

Maybe if previous WB posters among others hadn't been such inaccurate db's it wouldn't keep coming up. The dates of the 'moves' don't match in all the situations, the information from people who 'should' know the details fairly well tell a different story but Bear is pretty admandant about how it all went down and when it is over it got them some good victories and no trips to the dome.

This weeks game, haven't seen VM play but they beat the team picked to dominate the class by some who have disappeared from the forum. FYI I was one of the first on this board after a tough loss this year. The Regals have dodged a few scares. They make a play when needed so far. Can they do it? Don't know but that is who I am pulling for. Great to be back in the dome supporting the Regals.

Reactions: Pinehawk
Just to throw a monkey in - I'm extremely disappointed in that IHSAA sold out on the TV rights for semis and finals. The girls kept it local and FREE for we the parent taxpayers (to our local schools) while the boys of Boone sold us out. We received an email from our school district's AD as to how to watch the semis and finals on the internet. It only works if you have certain connections, like DISH, etc. It just plain stinks. Who in heavens name has any connection with Chicago? This is Iowa and for the money we spend on our schools, we should be able to watch it for FREE like we used to on IPTV. Every Iowan should email, write, text, call to the boys of Boone and let them know that they screwed up and need to correct it, and stop filling their coffers. I'd wager that the Boone boys / IHSAA doesn't buy the trophies, but they are most likely bought by people like Farm Bureau or Fareway, etc. So they don't need TV rights money for that.
We already called. We have Mediacom which did not purchase the rights to show it. The state blamed it on Mediacom. Pure garbage!!!!

Van Meter looks like a team on a mission similar to Western last year and hasn't skipped a beat even vs an incredibly tough West Lyon team that was originally picked walk its way to the championship. Regina is always very well coached and ready for all situations, but this year at least Regina has shown a few more holes in its armor than Van Meter.

Tight game in first half, but I'll take Van Meter by 11
also, quote from the "Semi-final" thread:
"USF is definitely slow playing this. My prediction is nobody gets within 3 touchdowns of West Lyon. They are on a different level this year."
WL was a quality team and they are out. PC was no different. VM is "on a mission." Isn't everybody on a mission????? I am not sure "being on a mission" or being "on a different level" gets it done. It didn't for WL and PC. I would imagine this will be a heckuva game.

also, quote from the "Semi-final" thread:
"USF is definitely slow playing this. My prediction is nobody gets within 3 touchdowns of West Lyon. They are on a different level this year."
WL was a quality team and they are out. PC was no different. VM is "on a mission." Isn't everybody on a mission????? I am not sure "being on a mission" or being "on a different level" gets it done. It didn't for WL and PC. I would imagine this will be a heckuva game.

Who said the 3 touchdown thing?

Maybe if previous WB posters among others hadn't been such inaccurate db's it wouldn't keep coming up. The dates of the 'moves' don't match in all the situations, the information from people who 'should' know the details fairly well tell a different story but Bear is pretty admandant about how it all went down and when it is over it got them some good victories and no trips to the dome.

This weeks game, haven't seen VM play but they beat the team picked to dominate the class by some who have disappeared from the forum. FYI I was one of the first on this board after a tough loss this year. The Regals have dodged a few scares. They make a play when needed so far. Can they do it? Don't know but that is who I am pulling for. Great to be back in the dome supporting the Regals.

Which posters have disappeared? Looks pretty standard to me.

Also, this recruiting talk between West Branch and Regina is getting annoying. 95% of the teams in 1A haven’t had a student athlete open enroll for sports in 10+ years and here are Regina and West Branch arguing on who “recruits” more every year. Bottom line is both schools do it, and most others in the state don’t.

This thread was having a pretty good discussion until WBB brought up 8th grade football and recruiting. Perhaps I shouldn't have engaged, but the hypocrisy is hard to ignore.

I think this should be a great game. It could go either way, Van Meter has a balanced team with a great defense. Regina probably comes in as the underdog, which until this year has been pretty rare. But, Regina has responded well in some very tough games this year. They've been tested this season, and found ways to pull off big playoff victories. The game against Pella Christian was an absolute classic.

To me, the game will come down to the QB play for Regina. Can they avoid the turnovers? They've struggled with fumbled snaps and interceptions at times which have really hurt. If they can clean that up, I think they have a good chance.

Reactions: Gridiron24
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT