ADVERTISEMENT

Quarterfinal Matchups

LukeFeddersen

Jun 14, 2001
CLASS A
Bracket A

Highland, Riverside (8-2) at Hudson (10-0)

Bracket B

Edgewood-Colesburg (9-1) at Bishop Garrigan, Algona (10-0)

Bracket C

West Hancock, Britt (8-2) at Akron-Westfield (8-2)

Bracket D

Newman Catholic, Mason City (8-2) at AHSTW, Avoca (10-0)

I’m gonna say it’s a high scoring game. West Hancock- 38 Akron- 32. I completely agree that these styles are really different. Akron is pretty big up front and all there receivers are dangerous, but there not a super physical team where as Britt isn’t huge up front, but get off the ball hard and are hard nosed... Haven’t seen Britt since week 5 where they didn’t impress me but there scores of late have really impressed me now

The way Britt pounds the rock makes it awfully tough for a team like Akron but I suppose the opposite is true in terms of the spread? I'd say the higher the score the better the odds for AW. Guessing the physicality of WH wins out.

EDCO vs Garrigan is an interesting matchup. EDCOs only loss coming to Bellevue in their 1st game of the year. I read in another post Garrigan lost a kid to a broken bone. Does any know who it was ? Any injury can be tough on a team at this level. not a lot of teams have much depth

Any chance Hudson gets beat? I know nothing about them other than it seems it's been a foregone conclusion that they or Garrigan would be the champs.

Any chance Hudson gets beat? I know nothing about them other than it seems it's been a foregone conclusion that they or Garrigan would be the champs.
Hudson is beatable. They are not physically intimidating when you see them take the field, but they don't turn the ball over often or commit a bunch of penalties. They cause a lot of turnovers and turn them in to points. They have depth for a class A team . none of the O line starts on D line , but they do rotate in. Seres and Fulcher are hard runners who will stay in bounds to deliver a hit to a defender instead of avoiding them. 3 of their wideouts competed on the state runner up track team last year. They have trailed in 3 games this year that I can think of but find a way to win. so far anyway

The way Britt pounds the rock makes it awfully tough for a team like Akron but I suppose the opposite is true in terms of the spread? I'd say the higher the score the better the odds for AW. Guessing the physicality of WH wins out.
The Fearsome Eagle Beast QB had a +368.8 QB rating in Friday's game!!!
:) :) :)
The Beasts are multidimensional I tell y'all!!!

Reactions: Anonymous111
EDCO vs Garrigan is an interesting matchup. EDCOs only loss coming to Bellevue in their 1st game of the year. I read in another post Garrigan lost a kid to a broken bone. Does any know who it was ? Any injury can be tough on a team at this level. not a lot of teams have much depth

Garrigan wins this game by 17 or more, nothing against EdCo they have a nice team but they really haven't played anyone since week 1 including BGM in the playoffs. BGM at 8-1 only played I think one team all year with more than 6 wins and got beat and their first 4 opponents won a total of 4 games all year but thanks to the RPI they looked pretty good on paper. With EdCo if you stop Rochford you stop them its as simple as that but he is a good back with decisive speed. I'll take Garrigan 31-8

It will be interesting matchup and I believe it may be a high scoring game as if Akron airs it out , I highly doubt WH can stop it. However, I dont believe Akron can stop WH ground attack. The Wild card might be the ability of WH to stop Akron's Ground game, a lot of what AW does is smoke and mirrors and in the end they are trying to Run Jacobs. He has thrown for 1800, ran for another 1,000 yards. Interesting match up for sure

Last edited:
Garrigan wins this game by 17 or more, nothing against EdCo they have a nice team but they really haven't played anyone since week 1 including BGM in the playoffs. BGM at 8-1 only played I think one team all year with more than 6 wins and got beat and their first 4 opponents won a total of 4 games all year but thanks to the RPI they looked pretty good on paper. With EdCo if you stop Rochford you stop them its as simple as that but he is a good back with decisive speed. I'll take Garrigan 31-8
i don't know anything about garrigan but looking at scores on quikstats. it doesn't seem like they blow teams out when they win. i think this will be close.

It will be interesting matchup and I believe it may be a high scoring game as if Akron airs it out , I highly doubt WH can stop it. However, I dont believe Akron can stop WH ground attack. The Wild card might be the ability of WH to stop Akron's Ground game, a lot of what AW does is smoke and mirrors and in the end they are trying to Run Jacobs. He has thrown for 1800, ran for another 1,000 yards. Interesting match up for sure

Looks like Quikstats just updated. That Jacobs kid is #2 in all classes for total offensive yardage. I see what you're saying! I'm sure he'll have the attention of the boys from Britt. I'm just not sure AW will be able to get WH off the field.

Done for the year? Bad break for the kid offense seems to be rolling fine though.
Yes, he is done with football but he should be back hopefully by the middle of December for basketball. He was doing a great job but Leerar has stepped up and is running the offense pretty well. Hate to see Becker not finish football in his senior year, tough break and a tough kid.

Looks like Quikstats just updated. That Jacobs kid is #2 in all classes for total offensive yardage. I see what you're saying! I'm sure he'll have the attention of the boys from Britt. I'm just not sure AW will be able to get WH off the field.

I completely agree! The Jacobs kid is very good. If WH can somewhat contain him on the ground that will help. The biggest thing I see that needs to happen in this game is WH has to dominate time of possession. It will help limit the big plays coming from Jacobs. He is so quick and shifty and throws a nice ball, I don't believe you can stop him, only contain him. I don't think WH will have a problem with time of possession with the run game they have. Hagen is obviously a power house that WH will rely on in this game. Akron's two losses this year come against run heavy teams. The first being Westwood in week 1. Westwood was able to control the clock in that game and it limited the things Jacobs could do. I also know that Hinton is more of a run heavy team. They have a lot of backs that can do some damage. They also forced 3 turnovers when they beat A-W, that is what won them the game because Akron was clearly the better team as you can see from total yards in that game. A-W had 347 to Hintons 196. If WH can stay on the field for those 6-7 minute drives they should have no problem outlasting A-W. I see the final Score being 24-16.

I've been to games at Akron and Garrigan before but none of the others hosting Friday. What are the atmospheres like? I've always thought small schools travel well enough it shouldn't pose an issue or am I underestimating one of these home field advantages?

Back when our team played them in week 5 I believe, there problem was they couldn’t sustain/ finish drives. They’d have 5 plays in row getting them 50 yds but then they’d have 4 plays in row of gaining absolutely nothing or even losing a yd or 2. If they can finish drives and sustain them they will win this game without a doubt. Would be very cool to see a possible championship matchup between them and us. Although that’s unlikely

Stowe kid is a load in open field on there screen game and the Frankle kid can run good routes. I will take Akron-Westfield 28 -16

Back when our team played them in week 5 I believe, there problem was they couldn’t sustain/ finish drives. They’d have 5 plays in row getting them 50 yds but then they’d have 4 plays in row of gaining absolutely nothing or even losing a yd or 2. If they can finish drives and sustain them they will win this game without a doubt. Would be very cool to see a possible championship matchup between them and us. Although that’s unlikely
Anything is possible

Iron Doc is of the opinion that the WAVES of running backs that we can throw at opponents will be the deciding factor. Beasts by 10.

Britt is going to surprise everyone and come out just slinging the ball. Running the ball all year has baited everyone into thinking run. 5 wide sets all nite just watch

I am intrigued. What are their styles? I just know WH has been good for years.

Talk about contrasting styles... AW vs West Hancock is about as opposite as it gets! Few years back AW went to Garrigan and WH in back to back games coming away with wins before losing to Hinton in quarters. WH will try for revenge.

Akron Shotgun Spread/Empty pass heavy , lots of screens, QB run game. WH double tight, wing T, unbalanced formations. All RUN, only thrown around 40+ times all season

WH is dirty and will do anything they can to intimidate.. they are not a class act team. But they are good. Their line is a top 5 group in class A and they’re backs are all deadly and run hard. Their qb pretty much does nothing in their offense . But overall a very very good team. And I don’t think Akron will be tough enough. WH by 14

"WH is dirty and will do anything they can to intimidate.. they are not a class act team."

- Iron Doc thinks you misspelled the word "dirty" - the correct spelling is "tough".
Just trying to help.

Reactions: warriors dad

areyoukiddingme basically said it-
AW spread and likes to mix it up. Coach tends to get creative and often will out-coach himself by getting too cute. WH essentially the opposite. Same playbook our grandfathers were using but effective when executed by tough physical kids.
I'll say this though, Akron kids are generally tough hard nosed kids whether big or not. I don't anticipate them backing down or being intimidated, just not sure they'll have the horses down the stretch.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
"WH is dirty and will do anything they can to intimidate.. they are not a class act team."

- Iron Doc thinks you misspelled the word "dirty" - the correct spelling is "tough".
Just trying to help.
No “dirty” is the correct term just ask parents and players from Hinton they will tell you and I’m sure Akron will probably tell you the same thing after Friday night. I’m not sure what your definition of “tough” is but stepping on your opposing teams players while they are laying on the ground after the play is over does not make you “tough” that makes you “dirty”.

No “dirty” is the correct term just ask parents and players from Hinton they will tell you and I’m sure Akron will probably tell you the same thing after Friday night. I’m not sure what your definition of “tough” is but stepping on your opposing teams players while they are laying on the ground after the play is over does not make you “tough” that makes you “dirty”.
Sounds like some sour grapes Kevin7216. I was at the game and saw nothing that you describe in your post. Not saying it didn't happen, but do question your assertion of them being "dirty". West Hancock has always been a very hard-nosed, tough hitting, aggressive, play to the whistle type of program. I very highly doubt a Hall of Fame coach like Bob Sanger would teach his players to be dirty, nor would he put up with it. In the 30 plus years of watching the Eagle program, I have heard many opposing players say that West Hancock is one of the hardest hitting teams they ever played against. Maybe teams who aren't used to that type of game might look at West Hancock's style of play as a little rough. :)

Sounds like some sour grapes Kevin7216. I was at the game and saw nothing that you describe in your post. Not saying it didn't happen, but do question your assertion of them being "dirty". West Hancock has always been a very hard-nosed, tough hitting, aggressive, play to the whistle type of program. I very highly doubt a Hall of Fame coach like Bob Sanger would teach his players to be dirty, nor would he put up with it. In the 30 plus years of watching the Eagle program, I have heard many opposing players say that West Hancock is one of the hardest hitting teams they ever played against. Maybe teams who aren't used to that type of game might look at West Hancock's style of play as a little rough. :)
i vote for dirty. lots of diving at players knees and hitting after the whistle. i believe it is coached

I can't speak to this year's squad but Hinton historically would fail into that "rough" category. If they're complaining I'd guess they're one of the many imports from the north side of Sioux city.

Reactions: warriors dad
I’m not sour at all it’s a style of play, but let’s not try and sugar coat what it is. Tough and dirty is a fine line there’s no in between or grey area. They are 2 totally diff things in my opinion.

Hmm this is an interesting food for thought. I will say that our team this year might be one of the most physical teams We’ve had and we just piss pound people up front. Watching us play Britt I will say there was a bit of chippyness going on, but overall the game was just tough physical football game. I think britt (in north central Iowa) is widely considered a very dirty team. I personally don’t think they are as much as people say, but it is a wide spread belief wether they want to believe it or not. I’m sure people say the same thing about Garrigan with our rough style of play but we do like to pass and run a pro style rather then a double right wing t like britt. Wing T offence requires tough strong kids and I think that may be a reason why they get this bad rap

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT