ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: Newell Vs. Bosco

Newell Fonda Vs. Don Bosco

• N-F

Votes: 33 57.9%
  • DB

Votes: 24 42.1%

• Total voters
I'm going with the Dons by at least 2 touchdowns. NF is a team our kids have been motivated to play again all year. Bosco beat this team last year without their starting QB for 45 minutes,unfortunately it takes a full 48 minutes to win. NF did a great job of coming back in the last few minutes of tge game to advance to the semi finals. Bosco's defense has improved tremendously this year,and can score many points in many ways. Good luck to all the remaining teams!!

Reactions: MJ.23
Jeffy Don bosco is hands down the worst team in the dome. The only cake walk is gonna be watching them get dick slapped by yet another west team

Hey huskie, fun fact the east side is better then the west. DB is just playing on a higher caliber then every other team. We are excited to play NF. We want revenge from what they stole from us last year. Most teams have 8 players that are good. We have 20+ Athletes that can make a difference. Remember when we dropped 102 points last year? There's no mercy in the Dome.

Wow that got outta hand fast! Such hostility!

I cant wait for Thursday morning. I dont think it will be a "cake walk" for either team. Both teams seem to be very physical, disciplined and well coached. I think it comes down to the end just like last years quarterfinal game. I'll take NF in a close one.

I think this one all depends on the health of both teams. If rumor stands true that Wolterman and Scheidegger are both dinged up still this could be tough sledding for Newell Fonda. If they both play and are near 100% this will be an outstanding game. Both are really physical really good teams that could easily be competing for the state title rather than just a chance to get to that game.

Jeffy Don bosco is hands down the worst team in the dome. The only cake walk is gonna be watching them get dick slapped by yet another west team
Huskies...Jeffy is a joke, nobody from DB knows who he is and is most likely an out of towner giving us a bad rep. But in follow up to your hostile comment...remember when Adair Casey was running over teams? As well as an EHK team that was head and shoulders "best in the west"?...well Don Bosco was "the worst team in the dome" that year too, and now they have a State Championship trophy in the case. Anything can happen...and I suppose we'll see if you still side with the West after Thursday.

Huskies...Jeffy is a joke, nobody from DB knows who he is and is most likely an out of towner giving us a bad rep. But in follow up to your hostile comment...remember when Adair Casey was running over teams? As well as an EHK team that was head and shoulders "best in the west"?...well Don Bosco was "the worst team in the dome" that year too, and now they have a State Championship trophy in the case. Anything can happen...and I suppose we'll see if you still side with the West after Thursday.
I will say this, the 2013 DB team Definetly made me eat crow. After watching exira in Semis, thought there was no way they could lose. Maybe DB does the same this year, if they do I'll man up and eat crow again. As far as Adair Casey goes that year kinda of proves my point against DB. A team that played no body and put up enormous stats but once they made it to the dome, they were demolished. I'm not saying DB is a terrible team, but to me they would be ranked 4th out of the teams left.

Newell seems to win when it counts dB hasn't had a close game since last year, it should he a really good game to watch, I think it will be extremely close

Newell seems to win when it counts dB hasn't had a close game since last year, it should he a really good game to watch, I think it will be extremely close
Not sure if I follow this logic. It's one thing if DB hasn't played anyone good, but the fact they've played 3 or 4 ranked teams all to running clocks should be a positive, not a negative. When Elkader hung around too long, they got ran.

I agree, DB is probably the worst of the remaining, but again, they've demolished teams that turned out to be pretty decent, so I'm missing your point.

Not sure if I follow this logic. It's one thing if DB hasn't played anyone good, but the fact they've played 3 or 4 ranked teams all to running clocks should be a positive, not a negative. When Elkader hung around too long, they got ran. I never said they play bad teams you must have misunderstood I said they haven't had a close game since last year, never once said they play bad competition.

I agree, DB is probably the worst of the remaining, but again, they've demolished teams that turned out to be pretty decent, so I'm missing your point.

Just clarifying I never said bosco plays bad teams I just said that they haven't had a close game since last year when they lost. Not really sure how people would misunderstand that but there are alot of poorly educated people on here.

Just clarifying I never said bosco plays bad teams I just said that they haven't had a close game since last year when they lost. Not really sure how people would misunderstand that but there are alot of poorly educated people on here.

How does the amount of close games matter? Please explain your entire position as you seem to think I'm poorly educated.

Well I'm gonna stick to my guns with the Don Bosco pick to win it all. Got to watch them play HLV earlier this year, and also watched them play Central Elkader last week. Both teams were solid football teams that Don Bosco handled easily. Its really hard for me to believe that they are the 4th ranked team left. I have not seen NF,MMC,or Glidden in person but have gotten to watch on film and disagree on Bosco being ranked fourth. Their passing game was on point Friday night, much improved since I watched them at HLV. I am looking forward to watching all 4 teams play Thursday morning.

NF is scared to face Don Bosco. We're fast. We're more physical. And we've played tougher competition then they have during the season and post season, so we're ready to face ANYONE. I fully expect DB to walk all over them by 60+.
~~~ Jeffy
funny-Fry-meme-trolling-Internet.jpg

Well I'm gonna stick to my guns with the Don Bosco pick to win it all. Got to watch them play HLV earlier this year, and also watched them play Central Elkader last week. Both teams were solid football teams that Don Bosco handled easily. Its really hard for me to believe that they are the 4th ranked team left. I have not seen NF,MMC,or Glidden in person but have gotten to watch on film and disagree on Bosco being ranked fourth. Their passing game was on point Friday night, much improved since I watched them at HLV. I am looking forward to watching all 4 teams play Thursday morning.
Very solid observation there. I will say this, HLV and Central Elkader are both a step down from what they were last year and they weren't as good as some people thought they were. I saw film on the DB and HLV game and for the most of the first half they were neck and neck with HLV unable to catch passes. But as we all know DB pulled away with a convincing score. I just don't think HLV and Central were as legit most people thought throughout the year. I do believe DB is very solid and well rounded, and Thursday morning will tell all.

I can't wait for Smith to dominate Scheidegger and we can finally see who the real best lineman in 8 man is.

MasonScheidegger72 - Idk who you are but I know you are not the real Mason. My guess is you're the same troll that is posting as Jeffy. Mason would know if it was his foot or ankle that is hurt. You obviously don't even know whats wrong with him. Also, in the 5 years that I have coached Mason I have never heard him talk trash before. He is a class act and you my friend are not. Please stop. Thank you.

There is no denying Dalton Smith isn't strong, but his technique is horrible. He barely (if he even does) goes 90 degrees down. Also, he uses knee wraps, wrist wraps and belt to help him squat and that's helping him with quite a few lbs. He is a strong kid, but take note of his form and equipment he uses to help him lift.

Reactions: rockchalk2
As the old saying goes " you don't know what you don't know". He trains on a 4 week meso cycle. Week one is explosive rock bottom back squats without gear ( belt, wraps, etc.,). The next week is heavy front squats, and again rock bottom without gear. The 3rd week is heavy back squats to 90 degrees belt only. Week 4 is heavy triples and singles with gear. A lot of lineman wear tape on ankles, knee braces, and tape on their wrist during games and practice to help avoid injury, why would using gear during heavy lifts be any different. This could be a whole other thread by itself. A ton of different philosophies and ideas that all have merit. It's why training athletes continues to evolve at a rapid pace and it's why some of which is old has become new again. Great topic.

This game Thursday is what's important to the kids and coaches. They are both great teams who are well coached. It can go either way. I personally hope all of the kids get to play for the mere fact they've all worked so hard to get there. I think any fan of the game can appreciate wanting to see good one on one match ups, but in the end its all about team. I obviously want to see Bosco win, but I wish good luck to both sides.

If he squats that low during his four-week cycles, he sure as hell should do it when he's maxing out. Not just for good form, but for safety reasons. I have congratulated this kid for his work ethic before, and I'm not trying to bash him, but GR-CATS does have a point.

I agree that Thursday is what is the most important as well. I hope to see a hard fought game like I am expecting it to be! Good luck to both teams!

Reactions: GR-CATS
I'm not trying to bash him either. Praise the kid for his hard work. I just think with proper form and less equipment used would make this weight a lot more impressive. Having the equipment can put a lot of weight on to that squat. Like rockchalk said for safety concerns also he should be squatting much lower. I'm excited to see Scheidegger and Smith go at it on Thursday.

I'll just say a lot of college level strength coaches ( which I have personally consulted ) disagree with you and leave it at that. There are some who will also agree with you, I would not say it's the majority. Dalton has had college level trainers caution him at his depth of squats and going rock bottom too often. Training to be explosive from your stance is not the same as Olympic lifting or competitive power lifting. He's not maxing for the sake of maxing, he's doing heavy single with gear to push his quads to an extreme limit and get them stronger. In the old days they were called 3/4 squats and a lot of guys even did heavy half squats. It all has value and purpose.
What's the excuse for his back bending like that then?

For some reason I don't believe that college level strength trainers want him using a ton of back, not even going 90 degrees and using a bunch of lifting equipment to use as technique. I am not trying to bash the kid. He's strong and I praise him for his hard work. Good luck to the Dons on Thursday.

I'll just say a lot of college level strength coaches ( which I have personally consulted ) disagree with you and leave it at that. There are some who will also agree with you, I would not say it's the majority. Dalton has had college level trainers caution him at his depth of squats and going rock bottom too often. Training to be explosive from your stance is not the same as Olympic lifting or competitive power lifting. He's not maxing for the sake of maxing, he's doing heavy single with gear to push his quads to an extreme limit and get them stronger. In the old days they were called 3/4 squats and a lot of guys even did heavy half squats. It all has value and purpose.

I would have to disagree with you on assistance of belts and braces etc. being used in college athletics. I have played college sports at two colleges in my time and at both you couldn't find one belt, strap, brace inside the training facility. They only teach bad form as the athlete becomes reliant on the help of the equipment rather than his form to do the lift which can quickly cause an athlete to hurt himself. Now is the kid strong? Absolutely. It doesn't take rocket science to figure that out after seeing the videos of him. Most kids in the state wouldn't be able to get that amount of weight off the rack. However his technique can be improved tremendously which will only help him get even better as an athlete.

I would have to disagree with you on assistance of belts and braces etc. being used in college athletics. I have played college sports at two colleges in my time and at both you couldn't find one belt, strap, brace inside the training facility. They only teach bad form as the athlete becomes reliant on the help of the equipment rather than his form to do the lift which can quickly cause an athlete to hurt himself. Now is the kid strong? Absolutely. It doesn't take rocket science to figure that out after seeing the videos of him. Most kids in the state wouldn't be able to get that amount of weight off the rack. However his technique can be improved tremendously which will only help him get even better as an athlete.
Plenty of video evidence of Brandon Scherff wearing a belt and wrist wraps when he lifted at Iowa. I can't argue with what they did or do where you went to school. But there is a lot of evidence on you tube if you just search various colleges workout videos esp on max days that belts and other equipment are used. Even the various opinions on depth of squat will be seen when you research this To each their own I guess. As stated above, he doesn't always train with belts and wraps, approx. half and half. Totally agree plenty can always be done to improve. Different techniques and variety are great to continue to improve.

Can you name some of these colleges? I'm curious as to what colleges they might be.

Let's all agree, the kids freakishly strong, but form could use some help. There's NEVER a reason for back bend.

Gear (belt, straps, etc.) definitely have their place in every training room.

I to would like to hear what colleges say not to go 90+ degrees because of fear of injuring knees/hips. That is a very antiquated thought process and you'll never see the most respected strength training programs share that view.

Let's all agree, the kids freakishly strong, but form could use some help. There's NEVER a reason for back bend.

I to would like to hear what colleges say not to go 90+ degrees because of fear of injuring knees/hips. That is a very antiquated thought process and you'll never see the most respected strength training programs share that view.

I agree with you gesr does have a place in every training room, but I believe just to squat you don't need all the gear he has in his video and on top of it he has poor form. However I agree he is very strong. I can tell his hard work is paying off!

Can you name some of these colleges? I'm curious as to what colleges they might be.
It's taken a lot of time to develop those kind of relationships. I'm not going to throw their names out there for the jackels and trolls to argue and disagree with what different programs do for workouts. Do some of your own research on you tube, a lot can be learned there.

Overuse of hips and knees is what I said, and yes overuse can lead to injury. This is why we coach variance in the squat movement. Here's some video from Mark Rippetoe coaching and explaining the low bar placement squat to develop hip drive. Rippetoe has authored many books on strength and a former strenth coach at ISU gave me an older copy of " Beginning Strength".

He'll explain it's not so much bending over as it is pushing the butt back. This develops the leg drive football players want. If you read all of what I've said 1/2 of the leg workouts are rock bottom, 1/2 are done to 90 degrees. On heavy days the goal is 90. Yes in the video he is not quite perfect but darn close.

Mark Rippetoe explains low bar placement :

Here is yet another video talking about doing pin squats or " lockouts". For those who are convinced the only way to train is to go ATG ( ass to the ground ) all of the time consider this, how often do you see a football player in the ATG position ( he's probably getting his butt whipped if he is ). Again pertaining to lineman, linebackers, and ball carriers, they are in more of a half squat position at the moment of impact. So why not train to be as strong as possible in that position. If you always train ATG, you'll never be as strong as you can be in the slightly less than parallel position which is way more common in football. This is why variety is important. Your core, bone structure , and muscles can achieve way greater strength doing partials as PART of the routine which includes ATG work, but is not limited to ONLY ATG work.

I'm all too familiar with proper squat technique, bar placement, and variations and again, I need emphasize, a back curve is NEVER the goal.

I think everyone agrees that's some insane weight and some of us have experience with collegiate level training and just don't want to see an injury happen. If "overuse" is a concern in this situation, perhaps more mobility exercises are in order. I will still contend you will not find any reputable leaders in athletic weight training who still adhere to that thought process. That was doctrine 7-10 years ago, but new studies and developments have proven that false.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT