ADVERTISEMENT

Pella vs Xavier

I think fairly evenly matched, however looking at quikstats I wonder if Solon is better defensively than Xavier. I also wonder on Xavier's Vinton SB game where they didn't get rolling until late in the 3rd, while their defense gave up some points. Either way, I don't think they have seen a passing team with the length in receivers that Pella has. If they can stop Pella's run game like Solon did, this game will be an air show. Wilson will get some yards, but he also will have to earn them against Pella's front seven, who are pretty stingy. Sending Xavier to the air also. With Pella's (2) 6'5" safeties, the deep ball will risky for Xavier, ....IF Schulte has time to throw. Pella by 14

Pella by 10+ So Pella ends up 3x champ, what is in the pantry for next year for them?

Pella is a really good team obviously. Better than I thought they'd be. I think where Xavier will have the distinct advantage will be late in the game when Pella is worn down a bit. Solon could not do anything for two and a half quarters, but once the two-way players on defense (almost all of them go both ways) got tired, Solon moved the ball effectively through the air and on the ground. Most of it through the air as they were down by 28. Pella is not deep and do not have the numbers to rotate kids in and out.

also, something to maybe keep in mind...Pella's kicker has been eratic as of late. I could see him missing a couple which could play a role. He missed his first on friday, and hit his last two. Made something like his first 30 on the year and then missed quite a few late.

So while I think Pella will win the first half, I think Xavier should be able to pull away and win this in a close one. 27-19 or something like that.

As for next year, Pella loses a lot in their QB and their WR among others, but they will be strong again. It will be a step back for sure, but they should have enough to get back to the playoffs. As is the case for any team, it'll rest on if the QB is ready or not.

I've got nothing but respect for Pella - as I've said before, they're the kings until somebody can knock them off - but this is one of Xavier's best teams in quite a while. Pretty much the entire offensive line has played together on varsity for two years. Schulte is a three-year starter at QB who has 22 TDs to only 2 interceptions this year. Wilson is something special at tailback, and if you gang up to stop the ground game, Xavier can gouge you through the air.

Looking at the numbers, the Saints and the Dutch have almost identical offensive yardage; Pella with more through the air and Xavier with more on the ground. Pella has the advantage in yards allowed, but Xavier has been pretty solid on defense since mid-September.

The Saints have handled tall receivers before; while Pella's tall guys are going to be a challenge, it's not like Xavier hasn't seen that already. Quinn Schulte got roasted in the defensive backfield early in the year, but Coach O'Connell has adjusted and the D-backs have been a lot better.

Finney's going to be tough to handle, as a dual-threat QB. Assumption got some yards on the ground with their dual-threat quarterback, although he wasn't able to throw for much. Vinton-Shellsburg had nothing through the air either, but their deception-based rushing attack took a while for Xavier to figure out.

I see this as a toss-up, frankly. I think Xavier is much better suited to take on Pella than they were in 2014. Doesn't mean I think they'll win ... doesn't mean Pella couldn't win by a couple of scores. But I think Xavier is going to hang close and they should have a decent shot to pull out a win.

I also wonder on Xavier's Vinton SB game where they didn't get rolling until late in the 3rd, while their defense gave up some points.

Xavier struggled a little on both sides of the ball early against Vinton-Shellsburg, but the D only gave up one score. That was a breakaway run up the middle on one of the first plays of the game. Interestingly enough, Davenport Assumption did almost the exact same thing two weeks later, in almost the exact same place on the field at the beginning of the game.

Xavier's defense hasn't allowed much in the way of first-half points, certainly not since district play started. Those two big play runs mentioned above; Decorah got a TD; Waverly-Shell Rock's first-half points came on a kickoff return. That's about it. The other scores against Xavier have pretty much been against the scout team in the second half.

Pella is a really good team obviously. Better than I thought they'd be. I think where Xavier will have the distinct advantage will be late in the game when Pella is worn down a bit. Solon could not do anything for two and a half quarters, but once the two-way players on defense (almost all of them go both ways) got tired, Solon moved the ball effectively through the air and on the ground. Most of it through the air as they were down by 28. Pella is not deep and do not have the numbers to rotate kids in and out.

also, something to maybe keep in mind...Pella's kicker has been eratic as of late. I could see him missing a couple which could play a role. He missed his first on friday, and hit his last two. Made something like his first 30 on the year and then missed quite a few late.

So while I think Pella will win the first half, I think Xavier should be able to pull away and win this in a close one. 27-19 or something like that.

As for next year, Pella loses a lot in their QB and their WR among others, but they will be strong again. It will be a step back for sure, but they should have enough to get back to the playoffs. As is the case for any team, it'll rest on if the QB is ready or not.
Understand the analysis on the "both ways" concern, however it appears that Xavier also has quite a few going both ways, including QB and multiple lineman, so I am not sure if that will be a difference maker. I think Solon's advantage in the 3rd and 4th quarters was that Pella was already up by 4 scores, so definitely a little let down.

Pella has a small team in #'s. I bet Xavier will have over twice as many players dressed, easily. ISOhawks is correct in that Pella would get worn down if it turns into a close, 4th quarter game. They do rotate players in and out, but they play lots of guys both ways. I will say that Pella's LBs pretty much just play D. Van Wyk and Holterhaus do make it difficult to go over the top for the other team as two 6'5" safeties can be hard to throw over.

No secret that I am a Pella guy, but I don't feel confident going into this game of a Pella win. I think Xavier's line play will really challenge Pella. Xavier is very balanced. Schulte can throw the ball, that is for sure. Pella will count on trying to get up early and then hang on in the end. They honestly haven't had a really close game in forever. Pella counts on punching teams in the mouth in the first half and jumping on them to try to take the confidence out of them. Don't see that happening against Xavier. The last two years of Pella teams could do that and even if they didn't, they knew they would wear down the opponent. I don't see this years team being able to do that quite so well, especially against Xavier. Xavier just looks like a really, really good ball club this year.

I give Xavier a lot of credit as an athletic department on the whole. They have been a thorn in the side of Pella in several sports the last few years. Pella wouldn't mind a little payback :)

I've got nothing but respect for Pella - as I've said before, they're the kings until somebody can knock them off - but this is one of Xavier's best teams in quite a while. Pretty much the entire offensive line has played together on varsity for two years. Schulte is a three-year starter at QB who has 22 TDs to only 2 interceptions this year. Wilson is something special at tailback, and if you gang up to stop the ground game, Xavier can gouge you through the air.

Looking at the numbers, the Saints and the Dutch have almost identical offensive yardage; Pella with more through the air and Xavier with more on the ground. Pella has the advantage in yards allowed, but Xavier has been pretty solid on defense since mid-September.

The Saints have handled tall receivers before; while Pella's tall guys are going to be a challenge, it's not like Xavier hasn't seen that already. Quinn Schulte got roasted in the defensive backfield early in the year, but Coach O'Connell has adjusted and the D-backs have been a lot better.

Finney's going to be tough to handle, as a dual-threat QB. Assumption got some yards on the ground with their dual-threat quarterback, although he wasn't able to throw for much. Vinton-Shellsburg had nothing through the air either, but their deception-based rushing attack took a while for Xavier to figure out.

I see this as a toss-up, frankly. I think Xavier is much better suited to take on Pella than they were in 2014. Doesn't mean I think they'll win ... doesn't mean Pella couldn't win by a couple of scores. But I think Xavier is going to hang close and they should have a decent shot to pull out a win.

The difference in what Xavier has seen before will be more than just height, both of these WRs will probably be all state BBall players so their athleticism is also at a high level. Should be a fun game to watch

Xavier will need to stop Finney from running. If he has room to run he will gouge a defense. He will get his 200+ passing yards probably anyway, but if he can run effectively, those are the games that he can have 400+ total yards himself.

How do you attack Xavier's O? I assume Pella will try to bottle up the run and make Schulte beat them, which looks like a dangerous proposition as well. Pella has actually been very tough to pass on as the DB's are very good and the line puts lots of pressure on the QB. Pella does lots of blitzing, from everywhere. They have looked vulnerable to the run at times, especially running QB's.

Pella will win. This will not be a 27-0 dominance like they delivered to them 2 years ago but they will win.

Good luck to both teams in this one. It should be a good title game.

It has been awhile since the Xavier game I watched, do they still have a sophomore corner starting?

It has been awhile since the Xavier game I watched, do they still have a sophomore corner starting?
think so, coaches son. fairly way down on tackle chart for a corner. Thought it was interesting that their QB was also playing D

think so, coaches son. fairly way down on tackle chart for a corner. Thought it was interesting that their QB was also playing D
It's high school football. I'd say around half (maybe more) of all teams 3A or lower have their QBs playing defense. When he's one of your top 3 athletes you don't leave him off the field for half the game in HS.

Heck, Jabrill Peppers is maybe showing everybody that you shouldn't leave your best players on the bench in college either

It's high school football. I'd say around half (maybe more) of all teams 3A or lower have their QBs playing defense. When he's one of your top 3 athletes you don't leave him off the field for half the game in HS.

Heck, Jabrill Peppers is maybe showing everybody that you shouldn't leave your best players on the bench in college either
I was only countering talk that Pella, who had multiple players going both ways, would be at a disadvantage late in the game. Some are giving Xavier an edge due to numbers, but they have almost as many players playing on both sides as Pella. I fully agree that you want your best athletes on the field.

I haven't done much homework on Xavier and haven't seen them play this year. I honesty just assumed they wouldn't have many guys playing both ways. I need to do my homework before making claims...

I was only countering talk that Pella, who had multiple players going both ways, would be at a disadvantage late in the game. Some are giving Xavier an edge due to numbers, but they have almost as many players playing on both sides as Pella. I fully agree that you want your best athletes on the field.
My bad, thanks for clarifying

Xavier really only has three players going both ways - the quarterback and the two wide receivers all play in the defensive backfield. A couple of offensive linemen sometimes rotate in on defense, but the front seven on D and the line/running backs on offense are mostly only playing one-way.

It looks like Pella has about seven guys going both ways. So yeah, Xavier actually could have a bit of an advantage there.

(I believe Bryce, the quarterback, plays defense because he convinced his dad he wanted to for his senior season. He's been doing pretty well back there, too. Quinn, his brother, is a sophomore, and as I said, he got burned quite a bit in the first month of the season. He's been much better in recent weeks.)

Word on the street is that Pella's starting RB/CB is out for tonight and next week if they win. Injured in practice.

It hurts Pella more on the defensive side than offensively in my opinion. They will kind of piecemeal the RB position I would guess and you shouldnt see much of a dropoff in productivity there. On the other side of the ball, he is a very good cornerback. We'll see what happens...I had Xavier winning before this news so it doesnt change the outcome in my opinion.

Word on the street is that Pella's starting RB/CB is out for tonight and next week if they win. Injured in practice.

It hurts Pella more on the defensive side than offensively in my opinion. They will kind of piecemeal the RB position I would guess and you shouldnt see much of a dropoff in productivity there. On the other side of the ball, he is a very good cornerback. We'll see what happens...I had Xavier winning before this news so it doesnt change the outcome in my opinion.

A major problem of 2 waying.

Hmm. If this is true, I agree it wouldn't seem to affect the Pella offense much. The Dutch offense is mostly Finney; if this is Van Zee you're talking about he's rushed for a total of 376 yards, and the next two backs combined have less than 350 yards total.

I don't see Van Zee's name very high on the defensive stats charts, but I know enough to know that doesn't mean much. Defensive effectiveness is almost impossible to measure accurately by tackle stats. I'm sure losing a piece from your starting defensive backfield is a big loss.

Looking back at 2014 - and not to say Xavier ever really had any chance against that Pella team - Xavier went into the semifinal with a lot of injuries. Both starting running backs were out by the quarterfinal, for example. That was a bruising playoff run where the Friday/Wednesday/Monday/Friday/Friday schedule just tore up the Saints injury-wise. Xavier's been incredibly healthy this year, knock on wood. Just found that interesting.

(Also, tonight is the exact 10-year anniversary of Xavier's semifinal win over Bettendorf, with the strip/fumble of the Bett running back at the 3 returned all the way by David Drahozal for a TD in the last 2 minutes to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. Still irked about that roughing-the-kicker call on the Bett FG try when the Xavier rush got a hand on the ball. Whattaya mean, roughing? Yeah, I was there ...)

Avery is a shut down CB, so teams didn't throw his way much, so not a lot of stats. He is a really good CB and a fast RB. But, he has been hurt the last half of the season and missed the majority of the games. So, isn't like this is something new for Pella to have to deal with. He will most definitely be missed, but it doesn't kill Pella's chances by any means.

The "title" game next Thursday is going to get ugly, these are clearly the two best teams and it isn't even close.

I mean no disrespect to Webster City by saying this.

What an amazing game, two teams giving it their all. When all is said and done Pella knew where to go with the ball. A tough one to take for Xavier.

It was said earlier but Pella's receivers did create issues for X. The shorter defenders couldn't keep the taller receivers covered up. Xavier passing game was marginal but they were able to move the ball on the ground. Pella definitely had the better passing game. Great game. Lot's of respect for both school's programs. I agree that Webster City is likely in trouble in this one.

It was said earlier but Pella's receivers did create issues for X. The shorter defenders couldn't keep the taller receivers covered up. Xavier passing game was marginal but they were able to move the ball on the ground. Pella definitely had the better passing game. Great game. Lot's of respect for both school's programs. I agree that Webster City is likely in trouble in this one.

The Xavier coach should have some issues facing his team, not sure he put his team in the best position to win.

Last edited:
Xavier has ran man to man coverage forever, yes it might have been wise to try zone coverage, but usually when you make that kind of a change it doesn't work out because the kids are used to it.

Now if you were referring to him taking some heat for his sophomore son's performance I could see that, but we have no way of knowing they have a better player.

Rough day for Xavier, losing both volleyball and football. Could be a great 24 hours for Pella if they can take the girls title in 4A at noon with two late comebacks yesterday.

I was a bit surprised they went away from Wilson in the fourth. Pella could not stop him. That triple option look was very effective as well. You can second guess a lot of things on both sides really, but just a really entertaining and exciting game. Feel terrible for Xavier. That game is played 10 times and each team wins five I would bet.

I will have to state, both coaches made it tough on their kids tonight,

Pella: For whatever reason they still ran the ball on the majority of 1st down and normally followed their no gain 1st down rush up with a 2nd down rush for little to no gain as well. 3rd down was normally a long route, but their athleticism was so much greater they were able to get away with it. Also, they had Finney throw 3-4 20+yard Flag routes. Yes, I realized he hit Holterhaus with one for the long score (and that ball was perfectly thrown), but you can't expect a kid to make that throw on a regular basis (the last pick Finney threw was on the same exact route). There are 50 guys who can make that throw on a regular basis and they play on Saturdays and Sundays. Pella should have lined up all night with Vierson in the back field either to block or run check routes, that would have made #58 from Xavier cover someone (which he couldn't) and put Pringle at Slot to let him utilize his speed on the slower Xavier defenders and then have Van Wyk and Holterhaus go down field and abuse those little CB's, and if all that broke down, you still have Finney in the backfield able to make things happen with his feet. When Pella threw the ball down field (on intelligent routes) they couldn't be stopped and it wasn't even close.

Xavier: I think this was a travesty to those kids on the defensive side of the ball. Your rush defense was incredible, but all of that didn't mean anything when Pella threw the ball down field. Their offense was sound, but definitely easy enough to adjust to, they were able to keep moving the ball due to the athleticism of Wilson and how much respect he garnered on the field from the opposing defense, those definitely opened things up for Schulte and Rodriguez. I feel bad for Xavier's CBs. Your 5'8-5'9 going up against 2 6'5 basketball players, so you are automatically at a huge disadvantage and then to top it off your coach calls man coverage all night, come on. Those kids didn't have a chance to succeed.

I will have to say Xavier's offensive calls and Pella's refusal to spread Xavier out at all times was the key to them keeping it close. I don't honestly believe that if Pella would have spread them out all night, it would have really been that close. Pella had way to much size and way to many athletes at the skill positions for this to be as close as it was.

Good luck to Webster City, they're going to need it.

Xavier's defense played fine. Great offenses will score, but that secondary also forced a few interceptions, one almost sealed the deal. The story with Xavier's man coverage was how great the Pella OL protected the blitz packages Xavier brought.

Xavier killed themselves a few times on offense. They would run the ball with ease across the mid field, pick a first down, then throw an incomplete pass on first down. Behind the chains they'd throw another incomplete. Just wish Xavier would have stuck with the run game a little more at the end of those drives. Anyway, that was incredibly well coached, well played game!

I think we may disagree on what constitutes "well coached". It is WAY more than wins and losses, it is the ability to adapt to the game being played in terms of both the era and specific game. This was a classic case of not adjusting to the specific game. Xavier was out manned on the perimeter, you can't do anything leading up to the game about that (unless you somehow can tell a kid to grow 6 inches and gain 40lbs), so you need to develop a strategy to combat that weakness. Xavier didn't, in fact they did the exact opposite. You can't line a 5'9 CB up on a 6'5 WR (that is a phenomenal basketball player, great vertical jumping ability and stellar hands) and expect him to stop him on man up coverage. So, there was no strategy pre-game, then you get into the game and Pella is exploiting YOUR weakness (little CB on big WR) and you still do NOTHING about it. That isn't adjusting, allowing the kid to succeed, or allowing your defense to perform at the highest level. So, no that isn't "well coached".

Interceptions: One was a tipped ball by a Pella WR and the other was a 30 yard flag that was under thrown (the route should have never even been called), Pella gave them those. I can't remember the 3rd one.

Another point, Xavier owned the TO category, 3-0, and still lost. How does that happen in high school football? It's because your coach didn't put you in position to make the most of those free opportunities.

Xavier outmatched everyone they played all year, this was a game where they were outmatched (size and athleticism on the permitter) and they didn't adjust. Kudos on a 12 win season, but when you faced comparable competition, you lost, and a lot had to do with no one making adjustments throughout the game.

A couple of comments on one of the best high school games I've seen:

* Stop saying Pella exploited the 5-9 CB. That cornerback had two of the three interceptions (the last one where he literally took the ball away from the Pella receiver, and darn near sealed the win). The guy Pella picked on all night, including the last drive, was 6-1. So while height/jumping killed, this wasn't the mismatch you were looking for.

* That said, Pella recognized the matchup they wanted in the passing game and exploited it. Xavier always plays man, they pretty much always will, and they can use that to blitz (which they did all night). They got a couple of sacks and hurried Finney a few other times, but Pella mostly countered that pressure. That next-to-last play, man, two Xavier guys were right on top of Finney as he threw the ball - I thought he was throwing it away, but it was a great play by him and Van Wyk.

* Pella's pass defense was outstanding. It was said Van Zee was the shutdown corner, but I don't see how the Dutch could have looked any better in coverage if he had played. Xavier receivers never got any kind of separation, with perhaps the one exception late in the first half to help set up the field goal.

* Xavier's rush defense was also outstanding. That Pella line could never get any holes open, and Xavier's speed to the corners prevented anything outside. The exception here, Finney's long TD, had a nice hole on the right side, but Xavier also missed about three separate tackles on that run. Take away that play and Pella has under 10 yards rushing - and they probably lose.

* What a pair of games by Finney and Wilson. Those two guys were doing everything they could to take their teams to victory.

* I agree with the comments about some of Xavier's play calling late. After Gerke's huge interception with about a minute left, Xavier had to pick up a first down to run out that clock. They ran three plays right up the middle, which Pella was totally ready for. Maybe going back to an option or off-tackle trap play might have gotten more yardage - maybe not, but three dives weren't going to work.

We can be critical about individual players and all, but these are still high school kids. They're playing their hearts out, they make mistakes, they make big plays, and at the end one team wins and one team loses. I feel terrible for the Xavier kids, as I know their hearts were ripped apart in the final 14 seconds, but I was going to feel awful for the Pella kids as well had that last pass fallen incomplete.

Now the IHSAA has to get off their butts and reseed the semifinals. This should have been the title game, and everybody (probably even most of Webster City) knows it.

Last edited:
Let's talk about the interception that almost "sealed" it. The ball was under thrown, therefore Holterhaus had to adjust his body to try and catch it (never should have thrown the route) the CB had great coverage on him, but to say "he took the ball away" is a bit of a stretch. Holterhaus had some fingers on it, but never had control of the ball, therefore in my opinion the guy never "took it away". I thought the CB they went after on the last drive was the Schulte kid, number 11 I believe. If he's "6'1" then Van Wyk is 6'8.

I think we may disagree on what constitutes "well coached". It is WAY more than wins and losses, it is the ability to adapt to the game being played in terms of both the era and specific game. This was a classic case of not adjusting to the specific game. Xavier was out manned on the perimeter, you can't do anything leading up to the game about that (unless you somehow can tell a kid to grow 6 inches and gain 40lbs), so you need to develop a strategy to combat that weakness. Xavier didn't, in fact they did the exact opposite. You can't line a 5'9 CB up on a 6'5 WR (that is a phenomenal basketball player, great vertical jumping ability and stellar hands) and expect him to stop him on man up coverage. So, there was no strategy pre-game, then you get into the game and Pella is exploiting YOUR weakness (little CB on big WR) and you still do NOTHING about it. That isn't adjusting, allowing the kid to succeed, or allowing your defense to perform at the highest level. So, no that isn't "well coached".

Interceptions: One was a tipped ball by a Pella WR and the other was a 30 yard flag that was under thrown (the route should have never even been called), Pella gave them those. I can't remember the 3rd one.

Another point, Xavier owned the TO category, 3-0, and still lost. How does that happen in high school football? It's because your coach didn't put you in position to make the most of those free opportunities.

Xavier outmatched everyone they played all year, this was a game where they were outmatched (size and athleticism on the permitter) and they didn't adjust. Kudos on a 12 win season, but when you faced comparable competition, you lost, and a lot had to do with no one making adjustments throughout the game.
Not sure what game you were watching. In case you didn't see it, Xavier lost on the final play of the game.

Regarding in game coaching decisions vs. comparable competition, I think the Xavier coaching staff has done just fine over the years and their record speaks for itself. In case you weren't aware, up until statewide district alignment in 3A a couple of years ago, Xavier played UP in 4A and faced Mississippi Valley Conference opponents (this includes postseason competition). They won the 4A championship as a 3A school in 2006 (the only school to ever accomplish this feat).

I feel quite confident the Xavier coaching staff knows what its doing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT