ADVERTISEMENT

North Polk's Hidden Ball Trick: Great Play or Bush League?

gg2224

Freshman
May 12, 2009
I heard both comments coming out of the stadium...

Personally, I think a baserunner had better know where the ball is before they advance at their own peril. I'm okay with the play.

Still, any opinions as to why a pitcher's fake throw is legal and a fake tag illegal?
This post was edited on 7/27 4:49 PM by gg2224

See it here...Advance to 1:30 into the clip

Not Bush, it is a great play and fun for players to do. If you get caught, you have no one to blame but yourself. As gg said, you better know where the ball is before you advance. Univ of Texas used to do a similar play in the 80's at first, they had their bullpen behind first and those guys would scatter as if the ball was coming toward them. To be honest, you can see many of these on youtube. With that said, since this is a technological world and you can see a lot of these on youtube, getting caught is even more foolish than before the youtube era. Also, another team, I believe in 3A-maybe Carlisle or DC-G, I can't remember who- did this a couple years ago.

You can look at it both ways but if your team is on the wrong end of the play you are going to be upset. I have seen this play many times at younger ages in USSSA or AAU baseball. Many coaches and people call it bush league at that age too but as a runner you stll need to know where the ball is before you advance. It isn't any different than the third to first move with runners on the corners. You are trying to deceive the runner into thinking you are going to third and then going to first.. Deception when you are pitching or on pickoff moves is part of the game. I will bet they have not ran that play once or twice all season but a good coach will have it in his arsenal just in case. Great call in my mind and if I am not mistaken the MTSM pitcher tried the same play in the followng game in 1a, It did not work but was called.
This post was edited on 7/27 5:29 PM by cubs1910

My school had a similar situation in high school and if I was our coach I would have done the hidden ball trick.

So the runner knew where the ball was and went anyway? That makes him going even worse!! Lol, glad you are saving the 10 a month so we don't have to read your condescending posts, it was a fake attempt and the ball was hidden. Good riddance.

Originally posted by 1flubby1:
Are you kidding me -- Hidden ball trick -It was a fake attempt at second and the kid got picked off. I am officially done reading the idiotic statements from these forums from people who dont have a clue. #1 is tear lake. Thanks Luke for saving me 10 a month from people who you let post.
The reason you don't subscribe is due to posters? Sorry to hear that.

As a note for EVERYONE, there is an ignore button for users.

Luke- I have paid for 3 years 10 a month-( now cancelled) and the things you let people say are stupid. I believe you should look at the people who post are actually paying members. they have no life. Tear Lake
Sorry to hear. I just do not have the time in order to monitor every single post. I have a number of places where you can email me (see the bottom of my message) and forms to fill out. I haven't seen anything. Regardless, I am sorry to hear but please don't lump me in with others. I work my butt off in order to help promote high school athletics and am sick of people blaming me for it. If you have a problem with posters, email me instead of complaining behind the scenes. I am happy to take care of posts but a lot of coaches think because poster X was negative towards them, I am responsible. Instead of that thought process, EMAIL ME!

Luke, this is absolutely correct. If any coach is oblivious enough to think its you they should be upset with when someone posts a negative comment on a public forum, then IMO that coach is clearly in the wrong profession. You do a great job with this site, it cracks me up reading some of the posts like above, from posters who clearly can't take what some are saying and blast you publically about it. As you said, have the respect to email you if there is a concern.

wow - i post 1 correct comment about a pick off play - ( its not a hidden ball trick) and people assume I'm a coach-- Luke can you check how many people who reply are actually paying members . tanks

My coach comment was in reply to context within Luke's post, where he said coaches in the past have blamed him for comments made by bloggers on his site. If uour post is directed to me, ill make sure to clarify that I was not claiming you were a coach.

wow - i post 1 correct comment about a pick off play - ( its not a hidden ball trick) and people assume I'm a coach-- Luke can you check how many people who reply are actually paying members . tanks

serious_business.jpg

This post was edited on 7/28 7:59 PM by DarkThunder#61

The only reason I replied to this post is because I was brought up. Your first was basically saying that you decided to end your subscription because of other posters. As I pointed out, you could have emailed me or used the ignore button.

In regards to the people replying who are paying subscribers, I am not 100% sure so why does it matter?. I have banned paying members before and will again in the future. It is life. Paying $9.95 per month doesn't allow you to be a horrible person on the message boards. Like I said, if you have a problem with a post or a poster, EMAIL ME! Going back to that monthly subscription, it also doesn't mean your son or daughter gets rated among my top players either. I have more ethics than that overall and I believe I have shown that over the last decade plus running the site.

3 years and this is the subject that causes a first post and a cancellation? That must have been the proverbial straw there. Flubber must have stayed away from the public/private /open enrollment /recruitment marathons lol

Simply a great play..Middleton is one of the top coaches in the state...he will get multiple championships before he is done.

Great play. Nothing Bush League about it.

Most sports include deception or misdirection as part of their strategy.

This play is no different. Even had it not worked it would have still been a great call (with nothing to lose) as there was low risk of advancing the runner had it failed and it still could have easily chilled the opponent and make them become less aggressive baserunners.

Great call.

Great play AND it is perfectly legal.

Anyone arguing otherwise isn't a baseball person and should probably refrain from comment.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

it is a great play that many teams throughout the state use>. Coon Rpids used it last year at state. it is a well enough known play by now that you should realize when it happens. that runner had no idea where the ball was. he just went. you have to see the ball in that situation.
s for the guy having a fit about if it was a hidden ball trick or a pick off, who cares. not a needed argument.

I agree with terrehawk. They set up rules and North Polk followed them.

My coach taught my team to know where the ball was no matter where you were on the field (fielder or runner). If you don't know, then it's your own fault.

In response to flubs now vacated posts...I have a very different opinion than his with regard to those who post at IowaPreps. I happen to have a great deal of respect for those who participate on the baseball message board for one simple reason.

They love and are passionate about the game of high school baseball in Iowa.

That counts tons for me. I have disagreed, sometimes vigorously, with my contemporaries on the merits of an argument, but I have never and will never question their passion, intellect or integrity in their efforts to support their position.

By and large I think the majority of people who participate here feel the same way.

One other point, I've found Luke to be extremely approachable, honest and forthcoming whenever I've had questions about IowaPrep's content, mission or approach. I very much appreciate the time, effort and committment he has for this site.
This post was edited on 7/31 9:14 AM by gg2224

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT