ADVERTISEMENT

North Central Conference

Aug 28, 2011
With the elimination of separate boards for each class, I thought we should open a board for discussion of the NCC. Anyone have any early season thoughts or observations? I thought Humboldt would run away and hide from the rest of the league, but their loss to D.M. North surprised me.

Not sure it's ever surprising when a school that's 2.5 times larger AND won their 4A conference wins over a 3A.

Algona is good. So is Webster City. Very up in the air.

Humboldt was playing without Brady Ross and this was a 5 point game with a minute to go and Humboldt had the ball....Too many free throws missed. You will see a battle between Humboldt, Algona, Webster City and Clear Lake I believe. If you want to see a fast pace catch a Wildcat game!

Let's face it. Iowa preps was much better when trash-talking was the thing to do. Now it is taboo.

Its because one of the NCC teams that loves to toot its own horn in here, isn't having such a good season. Hence, their posters don't have much to say.

You guys love to bash St. Edmond on here. Poky played in the ICCC Jamboree over Thanksgiving break, so I was able to watch St. Edmond play South Central Calhoun. St. Edmond won, but you can tell St. Edmond is still trying to figure things out. They are very inexperienced. They start a 6'4" freshman that looks like he could be the next SE superstar when he gets finished growing. I look for this team to be very competitive in the post season. The loss to Gowrie was a head scratcher. Gowrie isn't very good. Looks like they shot very poorly in that game.

The NCC looks to have four or five pretty good teams this year: Humboldt, Algona, Clear Lake, Webster City, and maybe Hampton.

SE plays WC in Fort Dodge Friday night. This could be a very good game. WC should win, but it will be closer than most what BCMoore is predicting.

but I guess they are better than St Ed...as they beat them. maybe the problem was that the st ed players were standing around scratching their heads like you.

Originally posted by Spook 78:
Its because one of the NCC teams that loves to toot its own horn in here, isn't having such a good season. Hence, their posters don't have much to say.
Hey Iowa Falls is just young this year. I'm sure when they get another 6'8 D-1 recruit prospect they'll be right back in the thick of things.

Hey, I just thought it was quiet because the normal largest contributor to the annual NCC threads is too busy coaching this year to post. Been very busy myself......is SE having a bad start this season?

Spook, I'm guessing that Poky must have brought a couple of pep buses along with the team this year to the "SV ROLLER DERBY INVITATIONAL".

Spoon, how did the Poky Roller Derby team look? I'm guessing with 2 other drivers to watch your bus for you it allowed you to be able to sneak a peek at the action inside.

Looks like the 3A teams are running the NCC this year.

The 3A schools might be in control this year, but I see St. Edmond back as a NCC title contender next year.

I realize the NCC members belong to this conference due to geography but the sad thing is that it's 3A members just don't get the level of competition they really need for consistent deep runs in the playoffs the way the NCC smaller members do.

Originally posted by stickman80:
I realize the NCC members belong to this conference due to geography but the sad thing is that it's 3A members just don't get the level of competition they really need for consistent deep runs in the playoffs the way the NCC smaller members do.
With the 4 extra non-conference games this year, and into the foreseeable future, they should be using those to boost their schedule with tougher contests OOC.

Webster City has already faced 4A Fort Dodge and also has Boone, Gilbert and Waverly-Shell Rock on tap.

Humboldt has faced a good 4A Des Moines North team, and they also have Aplington-Parkersburg, South Central Calhoun and Storm Lake remaining OOC.

Clear Lake has played West Fork and Charles City, and still has Mason City, New Hampton, Forest City, and Crestwood.

Algona has played Estherville-Lincoln Central, Charles City and Forest City, and still has Spencer, Pocahontas and Garner-Hayfield/Ventura.

Well I see the st. eds fans have finally come out of hibernation! Where were you at when they were losing to teams like lets say Southeast Valley? Anyone......... Buehler............ Buehler? Anyway nice start to the season jags!

Originally posted by warriors dad:
Well I see the st. eds fans have finally come out of hibernation! Where were you at when they were losing to teams like lets say Southeast Valley? Anyone......... Buehler............ Buehler? Anyway nice start to the season jags!
4/10. Try harder next time.

Originally posted by warriors dad:
If you are truly a Warriors dad- what is a warrior now? Aren't those gone with your 4th or fifth consolidation? Also- please, please, please- don't come on to talk smack by misspelling a classic American movie.

That would be BUELLER dad. Way to show off that education.

Standings so far in both divisions:

BOYS BASKETBALL

Pride Division
1. Clear Lake 3-0 4-0
2. Hampton-D 0-1 2-2
3. St. Edmond 0-1 1-3
4. Clarion-G 0-1 1-3

Tradition Division
1. Humboldt 1-0 4-0
2. Algona 1-0 3-1
3. Webster C 1-0 2-2
4. Iowa Falls-A 0-3 0-4

First marks are against other members of their division and second is overall conference records. Clear Lake has all but locked up the Pride division.

It will be interesting to see how things play out in the second half of the season as the better teams have not played each other yet. All of the match ups between Humboldt, Algona, Webster City, and Clear Lake should be great games to watch.

With District Quarterfinal action underway, here's a look at tonight's results and who will be facing who going forward for the remaining NCC representatives:

Class 2A-
Lake Mills 56, Clear Lake 52
Garner-Hayfield/Ventura 68, Clarion-Goldfield 61
Hampton-Dumont 90, Waterloo Columbus 66

District 3 Semifinals (on Thurs., 2/19 at Rockwell City)
Southeast Valley, Gowrie (13-9) vs Pocahontas Area (15-6), at 6:30 pm

Eagle Grove (5-17) vs St. Edmond (9-11), at 8 pm

District 5 Semifinals (on Thurs., 2/19 at Aplington-Parkersburg)
Hampton-Dumont (10-11) vs Aplington-Parkersburg (21-1), at 8 pm

Dike-New Hartford (17-5) vs Hudson (16-5), at 6:30 pm

Class 3A-
Sub-state 1 Quarterfinals (on Mon., 2/23 at Spencer)
Algona (14-6) at Spencer (11-9), at 8 pm

Spirit Lake (17-3) vs MOC-Floyd Valley (18-3), at 6:30 pm

Sub-state 2 Quarterfinals (on Mon., 2/23 at Webster City)
Humboldt (13-6) vs Iowa Falls-Alden (3-18), at 6:30 pm

Nevada (11-9) at Webster City (11-8) at 8 pm

Class 2A-
St. Edmond 68, Eagle Grove 40
Aplington-Parkersburg 65, Hampton-Dumont 59
Pocahontas Area 56, Southeast Valley 51

District 3 Finals (on Tues., 2/24 at Fort Dodge)
St. Edmond (10-11) vs Pocahontas Area/Pomeroy-Palmer/Laurens-Marathon (16-6), at 7 pm

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT