WM 3-0
BCLUW 3-1
STC 2-1
GC 2-2
GR 1-3
AGWSR 0-4?

Wednesday Game

WM @ S Hardin

Hey Terrehawk I absolutely agree with a lot of stuff you said in your above post. You are absolutely correct about the stats in the GR and West Marshall game. GR did only have two hits (West Marshall only had one hit but got credit for two). Its an absolute shame that six hits were recorded but a young high school kid who can not participate in sports due to a disability does the stats because it is his life-long dream to be associated with high school athletics. Please don't hate on a kid for having a dream and who is less fortunate than you. However, the coach should look over the stats and make corrections but that requires time and work, so don't bet on that happening if you get what I am saying. And you are absolutely right about the 3 earned runs, they were all earned, another mistake.
Two things I do have an issue with you saying are:
1) GR having inflated stats in the past.
GR has been in the top 3 in the NICL West ever since they joined it in 2004. They have been 1st or 2nd since 2007 so they must have been doing something right during that time to win that many games and conference titles and honors. Thats how it should go. The teams that win should get the most honors. So I didn't get your logic there.
2) Commenting on the 3rd basemans error.
When he drops a throw that comes from another infielder it is an error. No questions asked.
Also letting a ball go right between your legs in the outfield is an error

Terre Hawk, my issues aren't with you, they are with the Mustangs.
God Bless

One last thing regarding this. Coaches, fans, and announcers like me know who the good players are in the league. Stats don't mean anything. It all comes down to wins and losses. Thats all that should matter. We've won a lot in the past and thats what I remember. I do not remember stats. Some on here seem to have their priorities mixed up. I'm sure your program Terre Hawk would have rather beat PCM in basketball to make it to state instead of having all-state honors or won the state title in football instead of the honors, but you came up short disappointing many. You guys will remember that disappointment the rest of your lives, not stats.
That is all.
God Bless

Originally posted by lil-cush:
Hey Terrehawk I absolutely agree with a lot of stuff you said in your above post. You are absolutely correct about the stats in the GR and West Marshall game. GR did only have two hits (West Marshall only had one hit but got credit for two).

WM DID have 2 hits. I remember them both clearly and there was NO question on either. Both line drives/well hit balls. Again, our scorer is usually pretty shrewd when it comes to hits.

Its an absolute shame that six hits were recorded but a young high school kid who can not participate in sports due to a disability does the stats because it is his life-long dream to be associated with high school athletics. Please don't hate on a kid for having a dream and who is less fortunate than you. However, the coach should look over the stats and make corrections but that requires time and work, so don't bet on that happening if you get what I am saying. And you are absolutely right about the 3 earned runs, they were all earned, another mistake.

It's great this kid gets to help out. I think it is very nice to allow him to be a part of the program. It's still the coaches responsibility to do the job correctly. That's a cop out. Don't patronize me by telling me not to "hate on the kid". It's ALL on the coach. Period. Don't "use" the kids situation to support this argument. Yes, you say it's a shame that the stats are wrong. I WILL give you credit for that.

Everywhere I've been, the coach gives thumbs up or down on questionable hits. I've never seen scoring relegated SOLELY to a student. Every coach I have ever seen goes down the line with the book at the end of a game. This is simply poor leadership, laziness and/or dishonesty.

WHO IS ENTERING STATS IN QUIK STAT? I highly doubt a disabled HS kid is given the responsibility for keeping the book (and completely at his own discretion) AND then entering them into Quikstats.

In your position, I'm sure you can speak up. Not to mention, I've no doubt someone in a position to do something about it has surely read or heard of this issue. We'll see if it gets fixed.

Two things I do have an issue with you saying are:
1) GR having inflated stats in the past.
GR has been in the top 3 in the NICL West ever since they joined it in 2004. They have been 1st or 2nd since 2007 so they must have been doing something right during that time to win that many games and conference titles and honors. Thats how it should go. The teams that win should get the most honors. So I didn't get your logic there.

Yes, GR has been in the top 3 in the NICL W for a while and they and their players deserve honors. Just like every other team/player does that has legitimate success. As I have mentioned, I have noticed this "fuzzy math" (from other teams as well, 1 other in particular) over the years.

Awarding 6 hits instead of 2, zero earned runs instead of 3 adds up, even if "mistakes" like this are only made occasionally. Giving a player an extra hit here and there can drastically change batting averages. Which in most cases is the leading factor for post season accolades. The same with bogus RBI reporting.

Example:

A player has 88 at bats during the season, and has 25 hits on the year. That's a.284 average. Not usually good enough to get all conference.

Take that same 88 at bats but credit him for a hit instead of an error here or there or give him a base hit for reaching on a fielders choice (which happens A LOT). Let's say that he is given 6 extra hits than he deserves on the year. So now, he is 31 for 88. That's .352 and many times "good enough" to get on an all conference team. In particular if a kid is a senior.

So it IS important. BTW, this is a real case. That same kid's on base % was only 42 pts higher than his batting average. That is a very low spread for a "good" player. Typically, it is in the 80-150 pt range. Tell tale sign for inflating BA's.

Like I said, real case.

2) Commenting on the 3rd basemans error.
When he drops a throw that comes from another infielder it is an error.

I guess we would need more information. Dropping a throw doesn't necessarily mean an error automatically. If it's a run down or a relay it's probably not an error. provide exact details on the entire play an we can discuss further.

Also letting a ball go right between your legs in the outfield is an error

That's not the way it was previously described. Someone is moving the goalposts here.

It previously sounded like the OF ran after the single and reached out his glove to the side and the ball went under his glove. Easily can be scored as a double, not an error. OTOH, even if he ran a ways, if it went between his legs, regardless of contact with the ball, it is likely a single with an advance on the error.

Neither of these 2 issues are really worthy of argument however.

One last thing regarding this. Coaches, fans, and announcers like me know who the good players are in the league.

You bet, everyone knows who the best players are in the leagues. One of the ways of identifying them are through statistics. ACCURATE statistics.

Stats don't mean anything. It all comes down to wins and losses. Thats all that should matter. We've won a lot in the past and thats what I remember. I do not remember stats. Some on here seem to have their priorities mixed up.

That is simply loser speak trying to maintain your point. The wussification of America continues. You probably don't want to keep score in little league.

Winning IS the ultimate goal but it's the players accomplishments that get you there. You then reward individuals based on their LEGITIMATE accomplishments that helped their team succeed.

Besides, this little nugget of yours is missing the entire point. If stats AREN'T important, THEN WHY INFLATE THEM? We all know the answers here.....

I'm sure your program Terre Hawk would have rather beat PCM in basketball to make it to state instead of having all-state honors or won the state title in football instead of the honors, but you came up short disappointing many. You guys will remember that disappointment the rest of your lives, not stats.
That is all.
God Bless

Stats are again, just another way of helping their teams reach their goals and for the most part, their players were individually rewarded. Mainly because their stats were ACCURATE and LEGITIMATE.

Absolutely, there was disappointment in not reaching goals. However, I really don't think there'll "be disappointment the rest of their lives". I'm sure they'll remember the SUCCESS. Only losers think the other way about high school.

And since you were clearly (but unsuccessfully)trying to make a dig with that comment, I'll simply say that the WM kids won't have nearly as much disappointment to remember as most other schools and athletes lack of accomplishments, including GR.

I think this group of WM athletes will be fine with their accomplishments the last 4 years and will remember both individual & team successes. Such as.......

Track

2012 State Champs
2011-3rd place (2nd if not for questionable DQ in 4x4)
2010-2nd place
2009-3rd place

Conference & district champs (I believe 3 of 4 years)

Football

District champion 4 straight years with a 27-1 district record including being state Semi Finalists and Quarterfinalists last 2 years

Basketball

4 years ago, WM moved to the NICL which GR had a nice little run prior to WM's arrival. Since that time WM has had;

4 conference titles having only lost 1 game since moving to NICL (to Grundy when they were ranked #1, also beat them that year)
4 district championships
4 substate final championship appearances.
1 State tournament appearance.

Baseball (with nearly an entirely separate set of athletes than those most responsible for the above)

2011 Won the NICL in baseball with 1 conference loss (to EM)
2012 Nice start so far

Not to mention MANY, MANY All-state, All conference and POTY performers, as well as several state records in football and track. I'm sure the boys will remember THOSE.

I'm sure other schools wouldn't mind trading places with such a great group of kids both on and off the field

TerreHawk do not lie. WM had one hit down the 3rd base line that scored the runs, it was not a line drive but a ground ball. There was no other hit. So to say there were two line drives is blasphemy. No clue what you are talking about when you say we shouldn't keep score. As Herm Edwards says "You play to win the game."

Keep it real and God Bless

S Hardin 5
WM 4

Too many mistakes for WM. Youth can't be an excuse any longer. Some is lack of preparation,both offensively and defensively and some is mental toughness. The door is now open for E Marshall.

More padding of stats for GR. in the EM game there were 3 hits given by the GR stats folks. There was only one hit! Jacob Smoldt reached because our SS threw the ball in the dirt to first base. Easy error. Austyn Smith reached because our 3B threw the ball in the dirt to first base. Easy error. Flat simple bad throws. Errors. Not hits. Jordan Rickert did actually reach on a hit.

Come on GR.

Incidentally, Billerbeck has 2 earned runs on quickstats in that game. These are your own stats. Shocking! Argue it some more lil.

Arrrrrrgh!!! I JUST got home from the game last night with WM @ Grundy. At least it feels like it.

It was actually almost midnight when we got home. Both teams had their struggles throwing strikes at times which contributed to the game length but the home plate umpire was so God awful that it was painful to watch. For both sides.

I'm sure his shoe box sized strike zone added an hour to the game. this shoe box did move around a wee bit when one called strike was actually a nice block by the catcher and a few others were scooped nicely as they were hitting the dirt. Outside of those, there were at least a dozen balls called on pitches that the catcher didn't move his glove much if at all. The ump just didn't have a clue on the upper part of the strike zone. Ok, he didn't know the lower part of the strike zone either. And well, he really didn't see the inside corners either..... :)

Not to mention I saw a first in my many years at the park. He ejected a kid for throwing his bat after a called strike 3 and then was convinced not to eject the player after a brief conversation. Strike 2 was the blocked ball to which the batter showed his displeasure and received a chewing from the ump. Rightfully so. Strike 3 appeared to be a good call but was one of the few high strikes called all night. Very weird series of events.

I will add that I wouldn't have disagreed whatsoever with an ejection in this situation. Some were surprised the coach let him go back in.

Ok, rant time:

Why the heck are some of these people still officiating? I mean, at some point it's time to hang it up and simply realize that:

1) you just aren't good enough any longer
2) You never were good enough. which could be one reason they keep doing it, they don't actually know how bad they are.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad there are people willing to officiate because, well, SOMEBODY has to do it, but wow. Unfortunately, I see it getting worse before it gets better. Younger guys just don't seem to be interested in doing it (or in many cases doing ANYTHING, which is another conversation in and of itself) So the old guys are hanging around because they keep getting called to do it.

I'm sure these 2 gentlemen are very nice people. There really isn't an answer that I can see to fixing this. I'm sure people have been complaining about officials forever and have always thought it is "worse than ever". I'm sure it probably hasn't changed all that much and never will.

The last thing I'll say is that while it was a pretty poor job of officiating at times, the home plate ump didn't seem to have a large ego like some of these guys have. both fan bases were vocally critical (I've seen much, much, much worse. Pretty calm actually last night) and he didn't react. He stayed professional. Which frankly, to me I'd rather have an ump calling a bad game and keep his ego out of it when criticized rather than some of these punks you see that decide they "aren't going to take crap from anyone" and feel they need to respond to the crowd or retaliate by shrinking the zone or making a call against the player/team. Those types are the worst. You tend to see them in basketball maybe more than other sports.

I realize it's not an easy job and some fans go overboard but general heckling that isn't personal or vulgar is part of the game and it would be nice to see more officials check their ego at the door. Yes, that's harder said than done.

Oh, yeah, WM won 8-5
This post was edited on 6/8 10:54 AM by terrehawk

EM beat Hudson, PCM beat G-R in first round, Hudson over G-R in consolation, PCM over EM in finals.

Current Standings (The Best I Could Do)

East Marshall 4-0 11-4
West Marshall 4-1 7-5
South Tama 3-1 5-4
BCLUW 3-2 7-6
Grundy Center 2-3 2-5
G-R 2-3 5-6
South Hardin 1-4 1-5
AGWSR 0-5 0-6

Monday's Games
East Marshall @ West Marshall
South Tama @ BCLUW
South Hardin @ G-R
Grundy @ AGWSR

Tuesday's Games
West Marshall @ South Tama
East Marshall @ Grundy
G-R @ BCLUW
AGWSR @ South Hardin

Statistical Leaders

Batting (Min 20 AB's)

Average:
Jared Riemenschneider West Marshall .600
Dakota Wolken East Marshall .560
Cole Thompson BCLUW .488
Brady Billerbeck G-R .478
Jacob Clark STC .478

Hits
Dakota Wolken East Marshall 28
Cole Thompson BCLUW 21
Robert Sharp BCLUW 18
John Bloom East Marshall 17

Extra Base Hits
John Bloom East Marshall 7
Josh Wilson East Marshall 5
Noah Bearden South Tama 5
Robert Sharp BCLUW 5

RBIs
John Bloom East Marshall 21
Robert Sharp BCLUW 18
Chad Dolphin BCLUW 17
Grant Koch South Tama 14

Pitching

ERA (10 innings min)
Cole Thompson 0.32 (21 2/3)
John Bloom 0.37 (19)
Jared Riemenschneider 0.70 (20)
Brady Billerbeck 1.00 (14)

Strike Outs
Dakota Wolken 32
John Bloom 27
Jared Riemenschneider 27
Ryan Rotgers AGWSR 21

EM @ WM tonight. Should be a well pitched game from both sides. I think it comes down to defensive mistakes and aggressive base running.

If EM wins, they stand alone and could be hard to catch.

I've seen both teams play twice. My guess is it will be the hard thrower from EM, Bloom, against the thumber from WM, Riemenschneider. Both tough to hit, neither team that impressive at the plate 1-9. Major dropoffs in the 2 lineups. Which team will make the crucial mistake? If someone has to go to the pen, EM has the advantage, IMO.

West Marshall 7
East Marshall 0

Wm played and pitched flawless. EM made several defensive mistakes.

Riemenschneider faced the minimum through 5. Gave up 2 hits on the night and hit a batter. Edited for typo
This post was edited on 6/11 9:33 PM by terrehawk

Sets up another big game tomorrow night at South Tama with the Trojans beating BCLUW 12-1 in 6 tonight

other action G-R over South Hardin 10-0

my twitter source for AGWSR v. Grundy hasn't posted anything yet

Conference Standings

5-1 West Marshall
4-1 East Marshall
4-1 South Tama

3-3 BCLUW
3-3 Gladbrook-Reinbeck
3-3 Grundy Center
1-5 South Hardin
0-6 AGWSR

Tuesday's Games

West Marshall @ South Tama
East Marshall @ Grundy
G-R @ BCLUW

AGWSR @ South Hardin

Thursday Games

West Marshall @ Gladbrook Reinbeck

Friday's Games

BCLUW @ S Hardin
S Tama @ Grundy Center
AGWSR @ E Marshall
This post was edited on 6/12 9:40 AM by terrehawk

South Tama 5
West Marshall 3

Kuhter pitched pretty well for STC, and really Beals didn't pitch that bad for West Marshall, I would say that neither team was the sharpest, but South Tama made more plays to get the win.

S Tama 5
W Marshall 3

After they had an extremely well played game last night, West Marshall played horribly on defense and at the plate tonight. At least 5 errors and S Tamas pitcher may not have thrown an off speed pitch all night.

South Hardin 3 AGWSR 2
G-R 6 BCLUW 5

Updated Standings

East Marshall 5-1
South Tama 5-1
West Marshall 5-2
Gladbrook Reinbeck 4-3
BCLUW 3-4
Grundy Center 3-4
South Hardin 2-5
AGWSR 0-7

1/2 way through (other than one rain makeup between STC and EM) I would say that 4 teams still have a legitimate shot at still taking the crown. It will be interesting to see what pitching match ups take place in the 2nd half.

Unfortunately for WM, they play all the other top 3 teams this week. Luck of the draw. I'm not sure any other team catches 2 of the top 4 teams in the same week let alone 3. Certainly a test on the pjtching staff

I agree, that's rough on WM this week. As it turns out, because of the rainout, EM has their own issue next week. Double header with STC on Monday then G-R on Tuesday. South Hardin on Thursday after we run ourselves out of pitchers on Mon/Tue. I have no idea what pitchers we will use for each game there.

I would be shocked if G-R doesn't use Billerbeck against us on Tuesday.

I talked to a guy at work today who said that Bolt threw all 7 innings and threw 126 pitches. Unreal.

I believe bolt threw 110 pitches. Pitched very few pitches thru five...then the comets caught up a little bit.
G-R- 0002301 -6
BCL- 0000023 -5

Pnation, how many pitches did your kid throw last night? Not accusing, jus curious. I know 1 kid alone saw over 27 from him on the night. Prob closer to 30 wth fouls added in

This post was edited on 6/13 11:28 PM by terrehawk

I see GR put stats in the computer. The paper says they had 3 hits on Tuesday. Quikstats says they had 8. The paper and Quikstats said BCL had 7 hits. How could there be such a discrepancy? I know the dad that I work with said that BCL had a ton of errors.

Games Monday

Grundy Center @ Gladbrook-Reinbeck
East Marshall @ S Tama
S Hardin @ W Marshall
AGWSR @ BCLUW

Games Tuesday

Gladbrook Reinbeck @ East Marshall
Grundy Center @ S Hardin
BCLUW @ W Marshall
S Tama @ AGWSR

Originally posted by Parker D:
I see GR put stats in the computer. The paper says they had 3 hits on Tuesday. Quikstats says they had 8. The paper and Quikstats said BCL had 7 hits. How could there be such a discrepancy? I know the dad that I work with said that BCL had a ton of errors.
Sad. they also have all but 1 run accounted for with an RBI in conference play (4 overall).

Question. why in the world is Bolt pitching on Saturday and Billerbeck last saturday in tournaments/non-conference games on the weekends?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT