ADVERTISEMENT

My way too early rankings for next year

10-2 and 8-2 may not seem like much if you're a Pella fan, but for a 3A school not situated near a large city I'd be pretty excited about those Harlan records. I think Rutherford B. Hayes was U.S. president when a Dubuque school had a record like 10-2. Of course, they have to play the CR, IC, Quad City powers.

EastIowaHawk, you comment would be so funny if it were not so true. Every time I see one of the Dubuque area teams starting to really improve they shock me by falling apart. 3-4 years ago it was Senior which really started to look good, had a QB, TE and a functioning line on both sides of the ball. Then, nothing......Last year it was Hempstead which looked really good at preseason. The wheels really fell off their season. Injuries did not help, but the team chemistry was not good with than unit.

I will admit that I suspect those Riley McCarron Walhert teams might have gone 9-2 or 8-3 if they had played 3A. Top to bottom, Walhert stayed 4A way too long.

well, back to the cyclones, going 4-5 and 3-6 is territory the cyclones have not ventured in years. i am sure people back in harlan are sort of shell shocked to have records like that. i quess over time some teams have a change of luck, as i have observed some teams in the past that had power house programs now struggling to have a winning record...maybe coach bladts rabbits foot is getting worn out.

Living in SC and watching Harlan vs Heelan over the years battle it out was really fun. Harlan will figure it out and get back on top.

Last edited:
Quick note on WASHINGTON:

They have lost QB/Do-everything Ryan Reighard to a separated shoulder. He will be out for the majority of the season. That's a very very tough break indeed.

They have lost QB/Do-everything Ryan Reighard to a separated shoulder. He will be out for the majority of the season. That's a very very tough break indeed.

That is a shame for that young man. He got injured last year as well. Hope he has a speedy recovery and makes it back for some of the season. Washington will still be very good, but that is indeed a very tough break.

That is a shame for that young man. He got injured last year as well. Hope he has a speedy recovery and makes it back for some of the season. Washington will still be very good, but that is indeed a very tough break.
That is horrible for him, Nothing worse than an injury senior season.

I saw him taking snaps pre-game last night at the scrimage. He did not suit up for the scrimage. Washington took it to Muscatine last night without him.

I saw him taking snaps pre-game last night at the scrimage. He did not suit up for the scrimage. Washington took it to Muscatine last night without him.
Won't be that long. Didn't need any reps last night, and first 2 non-districts really don't count. Look for him back during district, though will to bet, he may not go both ways again.

Cedar Rapids Gazette preseason rankings:

EP-160519945.jpg&MaxH=500&MaxW=798

Pella
59 points (5 first-place votes)

Last year: 13-0, State champion
Week 1: at Oskaloosa

Norwalk
37 points

Last year: 8-2, State first round
Week 1: vs. Indianola

Cedar Rapids Xavier
32 points

Last year: 11-1, State semifinalist
Week 1: at 1A No. 1 Iowa City Regina

Sioux City Heelan
24 points (1 first-place vote)

Last year: 6-3
Week 1: at Sioux City East

West Delaware
24 points

Week 1: vs. Independence

Creston/O-M
21 points

Week 1: at Boone

Dallas Center-Grimes
21 points

Last year: 6-3
Week 1: at Adel ADM

Storm Lake
17 points

Last year: 9-1, State first round
Week 1: at Cherokee

Webster City
15 points

Last year: 11-2, State runner-up
Week 1: at Humboldt

Harlan
13 points

Last year: 4-5
Week 1: vs. 4A No. 7 Lewis Central

Others receiving votes: Solon 12, Carroll 11, Washington 10, Carlisle 9, Davenport Assumption 9, Bondurant-Farrar 6, Sergeant Bluff-Luton 6, Glenwood 3, Benton Community 1, Marion 1.

I heard the other day don't be surprise when Reighard is on the field This Friday night

Spoke with Reighard's father yesterday. He hopes they hold his son out until week 3. But, they won't. Will be wearing a brace.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT