3. Oskaloosa
4. Pella
5. West Delaware
6. Waverly
7. Storm Lake
8. Benton
9. Heelan
10. Solon

Xavier at #1 because they are always they are always good, and in 3A I think there is a lot of questions. Washington at 2 as they were derailed by injuries last year after high expectations and I think that they will be able to put it together. Oskaloosa at #3 because they seemed to have young talent mixed with experience talent last year, and I have heard that they have had a lot of success at the younger levels. Pella at #4 out of respect but I think they have more questions then in the last 4 years. West Delaware at #5 because of talent they have coming back and a very consistent program. Waverly lost a few pieces but still bring back a lot and wouldn't surprise me to see them end higher. Storm Lake I expect to continue to improve with the coaching staff they have in place. Benton had many juniors contribute to last years success. Heelan kinda fits in here out of respect, and same with Solon.

Pella is way to low, I realize they lose a lot but they do a better job of reloading than any program. their younger grades were solid and they will grow throughout the summer.

1. Xavier
2. Pella
3. Washington

Not disagreeing with you, but I have heard, and found newspaper articles to match that Oskaloosa the past few years has consistently beaten Pella in the lower levels, that is kinda what I am basing that on. I still think very highly of Pella, and I think people assume that it will continue since it did after Clayberg graduated but in that situation they had all of their receivers back and knew that Finney would step in well, not sure I see that this year.

Not disagreeing with you, but I have heard, and found newspaper articles to match that Oskaloosa the past few years has consistently beaten Pella in the lower levels, that is kinda what I am basing that on. I still think very highly of Pella, and I think people assume that it will continue since it did after Clayberg graduated but in that situation they had all of their receivers back and knew that Finney would step in well, not sure I see that this year.
Yet somehow out of the air, Xavier just gets the nod. They lost their starting QB from the last 3 years and their all-everything running back. Not sure the Xavier of the past will be the Xavier of the future, even though they are in 3A, I think in the past if you wanted to play on a winning FB team in CR you went to Xavier, that is not the case anymore.

Also Osky loses quite a bit also. The next year Sr. Class was a dead heat with Pella, Jr. class got demolished by Pella. Next year's sophomores might have the edge, but the incoming Freshman class also demolished by Pella. So not sure of your source, but if they are betting on their sophomore class they might just miss it. They have some good players, but skill players are thin. Washington/Solon will be the teams to beat in that district.

I think DCG will be a tough out next year. They had many Jr.'s at skill spots this year. Also were plagued with injuries.

Funny part about Pella is that they will lose in the younger levels quite often, but they grow the kids and have the programs in place at the high school level to plug them in and have success. I wouldn't go by the results they had in the younger grades. Doesn't translate to the varsity level.

Osky loses a ton of seniors. They will be solid, but they have a great deal to replace. Washington and Solon should be very tough in that district. I also agree that DCG should be tough if they can develop the skilled players. Have some excellent linemen coming back.

Xavier will reload, but I see them taking a step back next year. I would say the same of Pella though as well. Both will be very good, but lots of ?. Doesn't happen often that a team has a Nick Finney waiting in the wings. Gustafson is a very athletic kid who has shown talent in his appearances. He will now get his chance!

Dubuque Wahlert returns 16 starters from their 5-4 team next year. Could be just outside the top ten.

There are going to be some teams step up we didn't think would. Osky was one of those teams this season. Pella will still be good and we will all question what they have coming back and just like this year, could eat crow. I know Ballard loses some great players but have some coming back, Boone loses a lot. Norwalk loses a few but has some good kids already in place. Creston loses their RB but still has the horses up front. Carlise I am not sure on. Solon has some good kids coming back along with Washington. Glenwood loses a few good kids. Carroll broke out when counted out and I believe they will be good again. Webster City has the guys up front but looses skill position players. As mentioned above, and I am a DCG homer. We have 17 returning starters coming back. The ones we lose are good and will be tough to replace but on paper expectations will be high. WSR sounds like they have a few returning.

Yet somehow out of the air, Xavier just gets the nod. They lost their starting QB from the last 3 years and their all-everything running back. Not sure the Xavier of the past will be the Xavier of the future, even though they are in 3A, I think in the past if you wanted to play on a winning FB team in CR you went to Xavier, that is not the case anymore.

I just have to address this point. Xavier doesn't go out and recruit players. Wilson, I will grant you, transferred from CR Washington after his freshman year, so he may have been looking for a program to have success in ... but the players Xavier has year-in and year-out are guys who grew up together, went to Catholic elementary and middle schools together, and have been in the Xavier system from day one. I always say, if you're accusing Coach Schulte of recruiting, you have to give him a ton of credit, because he must be able to recognize the talent in these kids when they are 5 years old, so he can get them in the parochial system from kindergarten on.

Anyway, I don't know how good Xavier will be next year. This year's team was probably their best shot at a title since 2012, and they fell just short against an excellent Pella team. They have to replace the entire offense - I think Quinn Schulte is the only returning starter on that side of the ball, and he'll likely move from wide receiver to quarterback. The defense is in better shape, with some really strong juniors contributing this season who will be back. In their district, Waverly-Shell Rock is probably going to be pretty good again; Benton lost a lot of seniors; Decorah will likely bounce back from a disappointing (for them) season; and I don't know if any of Charles City/South Tama/Vinton-Shellsburg/Independence is going to contend for anything.

I have no idea who's coming back in Washington, Solon, Davenport Assumption, or West Delaware, but they're all historically good. Marion had a decent year this season, but I think they graduated a lot.

I just have to address this point. Xavier doesn't go out and recruit players. Wilson, I will grant you, transferred from CR Washington after his freshman year, so he may have been looking for a program to have success in ... but the players Xavier has year-in and year-out are guys who grew up together, went to Catholic elementary and middle schools together, and have been in the Xavier system from day one. I always say, if you're accusing Coach Schulte of recruiting, you have to give him a ton of credit, because he must be able to recognize the talent in these kids when they are 5 years old, so he can get them in the parochial system from kindergarten on.

Anyway, I don't know how good Xavier will be next year. This year's team was probably their best shot at a title since 2012, and they fell just short against an excellent Pella team. They have to replace the entire offense - I think Quinn Schulte is the only returning starter on that side of the ball, and he'll likely move from wide receiver to quarterback. The defense is in better shape, with some really strong juniors contributing this season who will be back. In their district, Waverly-Shell Rock is probably going to be pretty good again; Benton lost a lot of seniors; Decorah will likely bounce back from a disappointing (for them) season; and I don't know if any of Charles City/South Tama/Vinton-Shellsburg/Independence is going to contend for anything.

I have no idea who's coming back in Washington, Solon, Davenport Assumption, or West Delaware, but they're all historically good. Marion had a decent year this season, but I think they graduated a lot.

Don't think I used the word "recruit". Just stating that Private Schools in a larger city can be attractive both academically and athletically. I struggle to believe that there are almost zero "transfers" that have happened over the years. I grew up 50miles from Dowling and had classmates "move" schools. Never was this a below average athlete. Successful programs are attractive. It is certainly good advertisement for the school, which all private schools need. The starting 5 of the Xavier basketball team has at least 2 that made the "transfer". Heck last year in the Gazette, they had an entire line up of the basketball teams new faces and only one said he chose Xavier for faith reasons. The most common answer was "I transferred to play for a good basketball team". Again, these are teenager statements, their parents could have entirely different motivations.

I am not stating that I don't agree with the system, and I was generalizing my historical understanding of CR football, and an increase in success of other programs like Kennedy, Prairie, etc.

Programs like Xavier, Pella, Heelan, Solon, Decorah, West Delaware can attribute much of their success to great coaches, who build great systems around good athletes. They then inspire these kids to work hard, get better, and learn to be good young men.

Solon's squads (Var\Soph\Fresh) went 26-2 last year. Two losses were on Varsity to Regina and Pella.

Freshman only team beat ICRegina JV\W'burg JV\West Branch JV\ Osky, Wash, Mt.Vernon. Fairfield, Liberty High and Mt.Pleasant. Went (9-0)

Sophmore's (8-0) went undefeated as well. Playing IC Regina, MV, Wash, Oksy, MP, Keokuk, IC West and another I can't recall who now as the schedules were just whacked.

Return a lot and will have a very athletic Junior group (and some Soph's playing up).

Happens everywhere -

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/s...have-big-impact-on-xavier-basketball-20151202

Yeah, I guess I was talking more football, since this is the football board and my son played football and I'm more familiar with the football program than the other athletic programs at Xavier. You're right, there have been a lot of basketball transfers into Xavier in recent years, I can't dispute that. Baseball, too, I think, although that program isn't quite as attractive right now.

I just bristle a little bit because I remember a lot of "recruiting" talk all the way back to Xavier's title team in 2006 as well as their championship appearances in 2012 and 2013 ... and I know all of those kids came up together all the way through the parochial system ever since elementary school. So I get a little defensive.

Basketball? Yeah, there have been a few fresh faces on the high school team who weren't there in middle school, that's true.

Yeah, I guess I was talking more football, since this is the football board and my son played football and I'm more familiar with the football program than the other athletic programs at Xavier. You're right, there have been a lot of basketball transfers into Xavier in recent years, I can't dispute that. Baseball, too, I think, although that program isn't quite as attractive right now.

I just bristle a little bit because I remember a lot of "recruiting" talk all the way back to Xavier's title team in 2006 as well as their championship appearances in 2012 and 2013 ... and I know all of those kids came up together all the way through the parochial system ever since elementary school. So I get a little defensive.

Basketball? Yeah, there have been a few fresh faces on the high school team who weren't there in middle school, that's true.

Same situation at other private schools in the area. Kids go from K-12 at the school.

Not sure what there is to get upset around the challenges of recruiting, It should not diminish the ability of the players or the coaches. However, it will always be a statistical advantage of private schools in a larger city. They have greater chances of the stars aligning and have multiple top athletes in a class. To win 4 championships in a row, or six in a row would be almost impossible at a Pella or PC just because of population statistics. Pella winning 3 is probably an outlier, however they do have thriving industries in town, which attract more people and help the "numbers" game. You don't need to recruit if you establish success.

Not sure what there is to get upset around the challenges of recruiting, It should not diminish the ability of the players or the coaches. However, it will always be a statistical advantage of private schools in a larger city. They have greater chances of the stars aligning and have multiple top athletes in a class. To win 4 championships in a row, or six in a row would be almost impossible at a Pella or PC just because of population statistics. Pella winning 3 is probably an outlier, however they do have thriving industries in town, which attract more people and help the "numbers" game. You don't need to recruit if you establish success.

If we follow statistical models then Regina, Xavier etc would be significantly larger schools.

And that's the advantage that paraochial schools have, the fact that they pull some of the best kids from the biggest cities in the state but play in a small classification isn't something many teams in their class can compete with.

Reactions: volknut

I hope we aren't going to keep beating this up again. Pella is seen as an 'outlier', Emmetsburg and Harlan were all about good coaches and systems. Parochial schools are good and it's just an absolute fact that it's because they are in a bigger city. Waterloo Columbus, Regina in the 90's, had the same advantages, no success. The 'statistical advantage' that parochial schools have doesn't hold up. If it followed that theory the schools would be far larger than they are, that would be the part that follows the larger cities aspect. The fact that Xavier and Regina are having the runs that they are while doing it with the vast majority of their kids being there from K on up is more about talent, work, coaching, systems etc. rather than location. There are significant advantages to their locations. Difficult to put together similar coaching staffs in a smaller town but it can be done. To attribute their success primarily to location is a disservice to the kids and the coaching staff.

I hope we aren't going to keep beating this up again. Pella is seen as an 'outlier', Emmetsburg and Harlan were all about good coaches and systems. Parochial schools are good and it's just an absolute fact that it's because they are in a bigger city. Waterloo Columbus, Regina in the 90's, had the same advantages, no success. The 'statistical advantage' that parochial schools have doesn't hold up. If it followed that theory the schools would be far larger than they are, that would be the part that follows the larger cities aspect. The fact that Xavier and Regina are having the runs that they are while doing it with the vast majority of their kids being there from K on up is more about talent, work, coaching, systems etc. rather than location. There are significant advantages to their locations. Difficult to put together similar coaching staffs in a smaller town but it can be done. To attribute their success primarily to location is a disservice to the kids and the coaching staff.
You hit it on the head. Regina was not very strong at football until Marv Cook put a very structured program in place and got kids in that community excited about football. Xavier has been so consistent because Coach Schulte and staff have created a winning culture that drives the kids to train year round for success on the field come the Fall. Strong leadership and getting kids to buy in and do the work is how the successful programs have thrived. Location plays a very small role in this in my opinion...Pella is always elite and they are not in or near a major city.

You hit it on the head. Regina was not very strong at football until Marv Cook put a very structured program in place and got kids in that community excited about football. Xavier has been so consistent because Coach Schulte and staff have created a winning culture that drives the kids to train year round for success on the field come the Fall. Strong leadership and getting kids to buy in and do the work is how the successful programs have thrived. Location plays a very small role in this in my opinion...Pella is always elite and they are not in or near a major city.

True for Regina in the 90's, the success started before Marv, they just took it to another level

Pella is way to low, I realize they lose a lot but they do a better job of reloading than any program. their younger grades were solid and they will grow throughout the summer.

1. Xavier
2. Pella
3. Washington
Solon, Xavier, Pella, all do a phenomenal job of rebuilding. Some will have a bit more talent then others from class to class. All kids from all programs will grow from year to year and those 3 had very successful Fresh\Soph teams the past year. To say that Pella does a better job than any is a bit of stretch.

How good will Waverly be this year? Saw Newsom has picked up some big time D1 offers. Is this their Year to get to the Dome?

Also Osky loses quite a bit also. The next year Sr. Class was a dead heat with Pella, Jr. class got demolished by Pella. Next year's sophomores might have the edge, but the incoming Freshman class also demolished by Pella. So not sure of your source, but if they are betting on their sophomore class they might just miss it. They have some good players, but skill players are thin. Washington/Solon will be the teams to beat in that district.

I think DCG will be a tough out next year. They had many Jr.'s at skill spots this year. Also were plagued with injuries.

The senior class at osky beat pella 7th 8th and freshman years. They were undefeated as freshman. I think this class as well as the junior class has what it takes to knock off the 3 time defending champs. GO INDIANS

Great to see all the high school football teams this week on their fields in helmets running no contact drills.

Great to see all the high school football teams this week on their fields in helmets running no contact drills.
This is a great time of the year. It was a little brisk early this AM and that can only mean one thing...football season is almost here:) Can anyone beat Pella this year? It has been impressive what they have done the last few years!

This is a great time of the year. It was a little brisk early this AM and that can only mean one thing...football season is almost here:) Can anyone beat Pella this year? It has been impressive what they have done the last few years!
Osky v. Pella is always competitive (except maybe the last 3 years), both teams will be up for that game, and since its the 1st game of the season, anything can happen. I would say as far as returners, both teams are quite close on numbers. DCG v. Pella will also be interesting as DCG brings back a load of starters. I would say Carlisle/Norwalk will be biggest District challenge. Overall, I would say Pella will be very tough on D returning. Offensively they will have to find their way, but success breeds success......

Xavier's junior class has only lost 1 game in the last 2 years and that was to Waverly, their freshman year. They have beaten Dowling, Linn Mar, Ic West, Cedar Falls and pleasant valley. Dowling and IC West were there freshman year. They didn't really have too many close games at all on their Sophomore year. Difference is you never know how kids grow and age. In this area Waverly and Solon looks good.

Seems to be some of the same usual suspects that are going to be towards the top in 3A. I think Pella should probably be ranked #1 until somebody knocks them off. Just glancing around the state, should be some outstanding teams from all around. Xavier, Solon, West Delaware, Waverly S-R, Washington, Heelan, Creston, Webster City, among others should all be very good. Who will be this years version of Independence two years ago and Storm Lake last year that surprised to gave an outstanding season?

Reactions: FLBP
what has harlan done in the last 5 years......not exactly the power they use to be..
4- 5
8-2
3-6
10-2
8-2
and their first game of the year will be against lewis central and duggan....bad news...how will the cyclones do this year..i have not a clue....last year when i read the harlan tribune, a coach was bragging about all the speed, etc , etc.....just hot air.....i do not get to see the games anymore back there in iowa like i use too, though i watch the playoffs on video , and sometimes order the dvd,s if the cyclones have a good season....i use there was online streaming, i would pay to watch some of the games..seems like that would not be that hard to do

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT