ADVERTISEMENT

Lisbon

Re: Lisbon - and yet another school hazing surfaces?

What's going on? Really? That sounds like the line out of "Casablanca" when Claude Rains shuts down Rick's Cafe for gambling:
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, to see there is gambling going on here!"
At which point the waiter walks up to him and says, "Your winnings sir!"

Seriously, are we surprised by any of this? There has as been hazing since all of us wrestled and even before. But like everything else, it has escalated beyond control. My God, when I got into our lettermen's club in high school, we had to go through a hazing process that the coaches organized which was both painful and embarrassing.

And it's worse in wrestling. Face it; we bill our sport as a passage into manhood. You take it and ask for more. "Please sir, may I have another!"

We require massive weight cutting, and winning, winning, WINNING!!! Any coach who is not channeling his inner Tom Brands or Jim Miller is a loser. And, or course, if keep those damn girls the hell off the mat.

The very nature of the sport, and we way we treat it is the perfect breeding ground for this kind of thing. It probably wouldn't be hard at this point to find ANY program in the state that you can't find something like this.

But, perhaps, what has happened at Lisbon and Nodaway Valley can serve as cautionary tale. Maybe a few more stories like this will come out of the woodwork (and don't kid yourself; you know they're out there), and we can crack down and finally rid ourselves of this macho, rite-of-passage garbage in our sport. It's long past time.
This post was edited on 1/7 6:36 PM by dadthencoach

I wrestled at two high schools, Ankeny from 1982-84 and Laurens-Marathon in 85. I never experienced anything mentioned on this board at either school. This includes the minor caring seniors' bags. It doesn't happen EVERYWHERE. And by the way, L-M was undefeated in duals 84-86 so it isn't like a situation where a crappy program didn't have hazing. I have been teaching at SE for 15 years and have never heard of any of this behavior from wrestlers either.
This post was edited on 1/8 9:23 AM by se xc1

Let's not get carried away and sweep everyone into the abyss here Dad. My sons wrestled at a prominent 3A wrestling school and nothing abusive happened there in their experience. Surely there are some wrong situations out there, but unless you have some proof kindly keep your broad assertions to yourself. Your statement below is infammatory and over the top AND untrue.

"It probably wouldn't be hard at this point to find ANY program in the state that you can't find something like this."

I don't know what your agenda is DADcoach but your not helping wrestling and you not even right.

Were some of these same wrestlers on the champion football team this season? I think the authorities should also investigate if any of this went on durring this year's football season. There are lot of young boys and high school teams looking up to this team and I hope they have earned the respect they are getting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT