ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Rumblings....

Originally posted by RedAgentRadar:
What's your "case in point" as it relates to Rico Gafford? If you think you know so much about Rico and insinuate his transfer to Dowling Catholic as being illegal, we'd all like to hear it. Truth is, Rico's mother made him transfer schools - she made him choose between Valley and Dowling. When Rico contacted the Dowling coaches they had never heard for him. I know, you'll find it hard to believe. I'm sure they looked up his stats on Quik Stats, looked for HUDL video and were beyond excited when he fell in their lap. You picked the wrong example.
They had never heard of him? Dowling and East played the year before and Gafford scored a touchdown.

Might have to clue me in on how this applies to the boys in Boone. I do have some friends that have a brother that has kids in that association. Good homework, can you ask ghost for his homework? I don't think you have scoffed and ridiculed so maybe he will share it with you.

I thought the line was already started for feel good participation trophies a few years ago by expanding the playoffs? Moving accomplished/successful programs around to create an advantage for other schools the same size is bogus. If you want to compete with the best in your class, crap or get off the pot as my old man used to tell me.

As far as allowing public schools to recruit; Bad idea. All of the best kids end up in one spot in you metropolitan areas. I've seen it before in other states with open enrollment in large districts and it's not good for the sport. You end up with fewer programs winning all the time so that won't fix anything either. Just create a Parochial division and let them worry about how big one school is compared to another and they can figure their own formula to balance the winning if it's important.

So if they do this what are they going to do with the big schools like Bettendorf, West Des Moines Valley and such who seem never to rebuild justcreload. And would this only be for football or all sports. And is this just because there are a bunch of sad sack whinners who can't beat a little private school.

Cyard,

I'll give you a C-. You have the right thought process (after I pretty much spelled out that even though Boone currently has a monopoly it doesn't have to be this way) but Cid is right.....can't see how this applies to Iowa directly and there are multiple multistate associations you could have selected. When you find it you should be able to clearly recognize it.

You got some time to keep digging....I'm heading out on a road trip and won't be checking in for a spell. It is ironic that while packing I did hear this song pop up on my suggested playlist.

The line it is drawn
The curse it is cast
The slow one now
Will later be fast
As the present now
Will later be past
Your old road is
Rapidly fadin'.
And the first one now
Will later be last
For the times they are a-changin'.

Stick, up and out.

a C- ? WTH I don't want to have to do any of extra work to be raise it to an "A" level...
Why can't you give me an "A" for not doing extra effort/work? Is it because I live in a rural demographic & don't have all of the advantages of those getting A's &B's?

Cy don't worry about doing the extra work to get an "A" or a "B". Following several examples on these boards I will start the process of making the grading process easier for everyone involved. So going forward feel free to do "C-" work we will give you credit for an "A". Probably even get you a participant trophy or medal. That way everybody can feel good about themselves. Well except for those people who actually did "A" work like the OP and will get the same grade as you. So keep up the good work. I still haven't been able to find a state split association that would be close to what Iowa has....I guess I can only wait to see if the information will be shared or not.

Something like this

You can run on for a
long time

Run on for a long
time

Run on for a long
time

Sooner or later
God'll cut you down

Sooner or later
God'll cut you down

Go tell that long
tongue liar

Go and tell that
midnight rider

Tell the rambler,
the gambler, the back biter

Tell 'em that God's
gonna cut 'em down

Tell 'em that God's
gonna cut 'em down

I did chuckle the year that the players wanted that song to be part of their pre game music but the coaches said no because they didn't feel that it was appropriate. Later in the playoffs Mediapolis played it for their pre game, the players enjoyed finally hearing it before a game. And the game turned out pretty well also.

I eagerly await my grade on this homework.

Originally posted by ghost80:
Pine,

Do a little research. The data is available. Just because the Boys from Boone are currently the only game in town and they have a monopoly doesn't mean that it has to be that way.

The situation is no different than any other business relationship. If you don't give your customers what they want they will go elsewhere. This proposed rule is garbage and will accomplish little but as I stated earlier.....it is merely a weak compromise.

You are incorrect about them not having to do anything but you are correct that they won't be able to please everyone.

Pinehawk posted on 1/15/2015...
What 'potential risks' does the IHSAA face? They don't have to do anything.
I would hope they realize that they will never 'appease' everyone, and that if they make a change it will neverbe good enough. So, hopefully they think about the bigger picture and don't make a knee-jerk mistake that they will come to regret.
What, some schools will break away and form their own union where no one else is invited?.............

Or will they slowly begin to migrate over to the Girls Union and force the Association to dissolve, thus making the Union the overseer of all Iowa high school athletics?.....

Intriguing thoughts, indeed.

This is a ridiculous idea. How about no one gets to recruit. Catholic schools should have to abide by the same transfer/eligibility rules. If they transfer...they sit. It stinks but it's a better option than this idea. Good Lord. My oldest son lost a whole season of eligibility because we moved and let him finish his last month at his old school. We appealed and lost. Because we didn't enroll him in the New school day one after the move...He lost 90 days. And guess what...He lives and breathes today :)

CID they cant follow the same transfer/eligibility rules. I read it on this forum so it must be true. (proof or no proof)

Are there people who really think that Private schools don't have to follow the transfer rule?
They have to follow the exact same rules as Public.

FB Mom

I don't know all the facts of your situation with your boy, but if you truly moved into a new district you are elegible immediately unless he moved within that season. For example you can't be playing football weeks 1-8 for Regina then move to Cedar Falls for week 9, however he will be for elegible for basketball or wrestling immediately and would not have to wait the full 90 days. I'm not sure how long this has been the rule but it has at least been a few years and maybe a lot more.
This post was edited on 1/20 11:07 AM by zonkeyjerky

I'm back.

It's interesting that the guy who loves to spout about "the merits of hard work" doesn't seem to really want to do much hard work himself but would rather someone give him the answers.

Maybe we have gotten a glimpse into how things have typically worked for him.

Welcome back, it's been pretty boring without you here. I am pretty comfortable with the amount of work I have done on the subject. It is somewhat of a never ending task to provide facts to refute the opinions, rumors and factually incorrect posts that are on here. He has a specific situation that he is referring to, I can't find it and he won't provide it. I know that when I have something that supports my point I usually share it. If he chooses not to well then either it isn't very good or he is just being stubborn. I am pretty comfortable either way.

Well zonkeyjerky... we tried to do all the right things. We moved from Waterloo to Cedar Falls in December. My husband and I blended our family and needed to find a home that would work well for our family of 7. We found that home in Cedar Falls. Originally, my son wanted to stay at Waterloo and finish his last 2 years of school in Waterloo with all of his friends. He was a sophomore when we moved. So, I did all the things I was told I needed to do...I applied for open enrollment so he could continue his education in Waterloo. We were approved and he commuted to Waterloo everyday and finished his Sophomore year. He was an honor roll student and involved in the JROTC program and didn't want to disrupt his education. That summer all the kids made the decision to go to Cedar Falls schools, he decided that he would like to go to school in Cedar Falls as well so that all the kids would be in one place. It was a sacrifice he made for family unity and was his idea. So we registered him and the rest of the 5 kids in Cedar Falls and they all started school in August. We petitioned with the IHSAA via the paper process for him to play varsity athletics and were denied and also requested a hearing. We had to turn in our home mortgage details showing when we moved and provide in insane amount of evidence that we actually lived in Cedar Falls now and why. I drove to Ankeny and sat in front of the board of men and told my story and asked for them to hear me. We were again denied. My son was not a football standout...he just wanted to play varsity and was good enough to do that. He played JV...4 games because that's all that they had on their schedule and lost over half of his wrestling season because of it. He was not eligible for Varsity play until January 19th or something close to that. I was 3 years ago now so the dates are foggy but it was mid January. Wulkow and Beste were terrible through this entire process. My son never played another sport. He was devastated and felt out casted and it made for a very rough transition for him that was unnecessary. I tried to help him understand that life just isn't fair sometimes and we would get through it. It was a sad time. The only real saving grace was the kindness that was offered to my son by Pat Mitchell. He tried to make my son feel a part of the team and I will always be thankful for that. The bottom line is that because we did not enroll him in Cedar Falls schools the day we moved, there was an eligibility issue and he would have a waiting period for varsity play. Thank goodness my younger son who is now a Junior was only a freshman at the time so it didn't affect him. I did find out that if we had let my freshman play baseball that summer, which was the summer after 8th grade, in Waterloo, he would not have been eligible for 9th grade Football that fall when he made the switch to Cedar Falls as well. Thank goodness we didn't do that. It was a crazy process and I hope no one has to go through that. I have all of the paper work and it happened exactly this way...I read the guidelines so many times! It is general transfer rule 36.15(3) that we appealed. I think the rule was designed to keep people from abusing the system and I understand that...but clearly this was not the case for us. We moved for family reasons and followed the rules. It was tough.

This post was edited on 2/8 9:38 AM by fbmom73

This post was edited on 2/8 11:46 AM by fbmom73

Originally posted by zonkeyjerky:

I'm not a BB guy I didn't know this about I.C West. We must all join in and put a stop to this winning. How can the State allow this to continue. Sounds silly doesn't it?
Much like Xavier girls in soccer with their 8peat.

What is wrong with moving up if you are consistently one of the top programs in your class (and it shoudl be based on sport - not all encompassing)? If you get to the championship game year after year after year - wouldn't you want a bit more competition? Some have enrollment mute that equation, others seem to just hang back and say "it is what it is".

For the largest class there is not much you can do as they are at the top of the IAHSAA food chain. Some of the largest schools are seperating out (Ankeny, ICWest will in 2017 as well with Liberty HS coming).

you gonna let bad teams move down? Maybe if they don't make the playoffs in say 5 years then they can move down.

Originally posted by cyard31:
you gonna let bad teams move down? Maybe if they don't make the playoffs in say 5 years then they can move down.
That would be an option that I wouldn't be against.

Would we see some teams dropping games late in the year knowing they would have a chance to be a bigger school in the class below them the following year?

Originally posted by cidhawkeye:
Would we see some teams dropping games late in the year knowing they would have a chance to be a bigger school in the class below them the following year?
If coaches chose to do that - shame on them.

As much as some coaches, parents, and fans try to make this the NFL it is not the NFL.

While intentionally losing games in the NLF can help you to get a better draft pick, the only thing that would come from someone trying to throw a high school game in order to stay (or get) in an easier class is a coach being fired and probably stained for life. (Although one only needs to look at the NE Patriots to realize a big stain on an NFL coach is really no big deal).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT