ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Rumblings....

usfhawk

All District
Jul 13, 2006
It sounds like the state athletic association has come up with a plan the even the playing field in regards to public/private schools and power house schools. They are discussing a success factor. Meaning schools would be classified based on previous success and not on student enrollment.

I see zero positives from this other than the fact that there would no longer be the private school debate.

So, for example, if a class A team is successful in back to back years the state would move them up to class 1A because of that success and not because of enrollment.

Thoughts?

I would be for a success multiplier, one that perhaps doesn't automatically bump you up a class.

For example, if West Lyon wins 2 1A titles and the following cycle their enrollment puts them at A, the success multiplier would keep them as 1A.

I think that would potentially penalize younger classes due to the success of older classes.
Kids sit on the bench waiting their turn only to have the Junior and Senior classes win titles. Then when it's their turn to shine, they have a much bigger hill to climb based solely on the actions of preceding classes.

When do they get to move back down? The first year they don't win another Title?

There are a few states that have put this into effect. It is fairly new so it should be interesting to see how the results play out. It makes a little more sense then the multiplier that people have been asking for(which has been shown to have little impact). There are certainly details that will need to be looked at.

I have always said that I am in favor of some sort of multiplier, but this is strange, and I really don't like it.

My question is how would this impact the 8 man game and someone like Don Bosco, or what class would a school like Des Moines North or Davenport North compete in?

I still don't understand why Private Schools should be penalized. I don't get it. What is the #1 complaint? If a school was illegally recruiting then they will get turned in. And newsflash Public Schools recruit also. I remember when everyone was upset about Regina a few years ago then I remember reading an article that all those players have been going to school there for years.

usfhawk,

This a weak attempt at a compromise for Boone to avoid having to deal with the public/private issue. They are finding themselves in a position where they fully understand the potential risk to themselves if they don't try to appease the growing number of members who want a change to the status quo.

Segregation at least in the playoffs is what really needs to happen. This plan will do little especially if the criteria for playing up a class is that you have to win a couple consecutive championships.

I'm chuckling at the fools who kept chirping, "There won't be any change, Boone will never institute a multiplier or segregation."
Keep telling yourselves that while you worship your trophy cases.

What happens if a public schools go on a run and wins some championships. Maybe they should have a multiplier then. This makes no sense if you have a good season you get bumped up a class. Keep it the way it is. Just go by the enrollment.

What 'potential risks' does the IHSAA face? They don't have to do anything.
I would hope they realize that they will never 'appease' everyone, and that if they make a change it will never be good enough. So, hopefully they think about the bigger picture and don't make a knee-jerk mistake that they will come to regret.

IC West is going for a 4peat in boys hoops. How do we address this issue? Are the boys in Boone receiving complaints about their success. Coach Bergmans approach to his sport is based on year round focus by his staff and players. If a program wants to compete with them,you have to match or exceed that effort and focus. The word segregation doesn't exactly invoke warm and fuzzy thoughts for most people. Please excuse me i need to light a candle in front of my trophy CASES.

If the state really needs to take an approach like this then then need to look at something like the number of free and reduced lunches, Minnesota essentially does a reverse multiplier using this information.

Originally posted by tfan12345:

I still don't understand why Private Schools should be penalized. I don't get it. What is the #1 complaint? If a school was illegally recruiting then they will get turned in.
You're naive if you think this is how it's solved. Case in point; Rico Gafford

Should a multiplier/success/segregation/socio economic measures be sport specific? With all of the advantages private schools have their dominance should be in every sport. The reality is that isn't the case. It doesn't fit the story some want to portray on these boards so we ignore that fact and go back to beating their drum based on a very small sliver of the entire high school athletics landscape. As far as your case in point, my guess is for every Rico Gafford I would think there are several OE athletes making an impact in public schools. For some of the loudest voices on these boards... Stop preaching in here and get to the boys in Boone to make some changes.

Changes are coming. So if your team is bumped up a classification for whatever reason, take it as a badge of honor. Go meet the challenge that awaits you.

Originally posted by zonkeyjerky:

What is the reason? Someone please help me I don't understand the main reason.
Schools that aren't good enough to win want to change the system so they have a better chance.

In big cities kids open enroll to other schools all the time how is that any different? No punishment for them. I wander if College Football should make Ohio State, Alabama, Oregon, FSU, Auburn, Baylor and TCU be bumped up to a seperate division? Does that make sense?
There has been some Division 2 football teams who have had lots of sucess any talk of forcing them to go D1. It makes no sense to bump up just because they are winning. There has to be a different reason. There will be winners and losers in sports. This may be a product of a generation of parents who can't except that.

I just thought of something. Sucess in what sport? If FB has sucess does that also bump up the girls volleyball team? Or will it be just that sport?

regaldad,
the state could require Coach Bergman to take a year off (paid by the state) Simple effort & focus from other programs just does not seem like a viable option.
Punishment for success is the reward winners should get for their effort & success

I'm not a BB guy I didn't know this about I.C West. We must all join in and put a stop to this winning. How can the State allow this to continue. Sounds silly doesn't it?

And by evidence here, when it does happen there will be epic meltdown by some on this board. It should be fun to watch

Seems like losers mentality to me. If we aren't winning we shouldn't work harder to improve we just need the good teams out of our class.

What positives come out of this???

I don't mind giving the private schools a multiplier, but this doesn't sound like the right formula. How exactly are we to classify success? Is it a State Championship or is it going 9-0 in the regular season (regardless of how the playoffs go)?

Could a 1A school like Regina eventually end up 2 classes up and playing 3A if they win the 1A title and 2A title in back to back years?

us, read this board a little bit more. There is no evidence that coaching, hard work and talent have anything to do with this situation. It truly is all about being private, location, small amounts of free and reduced lunch kids, two parent homes, no school district, no special ed kids etc. The fact that some of these schools have had periods of little to no success with these same situations, makes no difference. They will tout that "everyone works equally hard" bs...my son plays in college and his team mates are surprised at the things that he did in high school. Some people on this board won't be happy unless everybody bumps all the way up 'where they belong' and the state comes back and takes the trophies and gives them to the most deserving 2nd, 3rd, 4th place team...because they really 'deserved' the title.

To you multiplier proponents how do you explain the domination in other sports by the public schools? Do the same advantages not apply to those sports? Have you looked at wrestling? Any OE advantage there? But that doesn't fit the narrative so please look the other way.

Some people are cozy with the current system. They like beating teams up by 35 by half, that is understandable to me. What isn't understandable to me is why they are so afraid of the next class up. You like a dominant team being in A if they have 40 kids in their class, but if they have 41 kids in their class they should be classified up. I would like to see the great team with 40 kids in their class play the teams with 55 kids in their class instead of the bad teams with 41 kids in their class play the kids with 55.

I am all for competitive games. I would like to see the good teams battle the good teams.

Just let the public schools recruit. Along with the private.schools. Do away with the sitting out when open enrolling. If you open enroll for the awesome music program. Are you forced to sit out for 90 school days before you can march with the marching band? Do debators sit out after open enrollment? How about cheerleaders?

Then get the state to fix it. Pretty simple really. The team that seems to garner some attention for this requested to play 2 4A schools and got 2 3A schools and a ranked 2A school. They made the proper requests, fix the system. If your goal is to see some kind of seismic gnashing of the teeth and pissing and moaning if changes are made I can tell you it won't be from me. I know that disappoints you but in life the ruling party makes the rules, our choice is to follow them or be agents of change.

It's nice to hear you will be a good sport about it then CID, because it is coming.

in response to let public schools recruit

when you transfer to private school you have to sit 90 days just like the public school
and public schools do recuit also legally
private do it also legallly

Hope something happens, will be interesting to watch how it plays out. Hope your team gets 'better' through legislation. Will I laugh if a private school bumps up and beats your team? Fairly likely. If it doesn't happen and your team gets a trophy, then congratulations. I am sure 5 in a row will happen because of the 'level' playing field.

Pine,

Do a little research. The data is available. Just because the Boys from Boone are currently the only game in town and they have a monopoly doesn't mean that it has to be that way.

The situation is no different than any other business relationship. If you don't give your customers what they want they will go elsewhere. This proposed rule is garbage and will accomplish little but as I stated earlier.....it is merely a weak compromise.

You are incorrect about them not having to do anything but you are correct that they won't be able to please everyone.

Pinehawk posted on 1/15/2015...
What 'potential risks' does the IHSAA face? They don't have to do anything.
I would hope they realize that they will never 'appease' everyone, and that if they make a change it will neverbe good enough. So, hopefully they think about the bigger picture and don't make a knee-jerk mistake that they will come to regret.

Can you share the data that your research has produced? I am interested to know how you went about your research and what premise you conducted it under.

Do the work Cid, like I did.

I might be more willing to share had you not scoffed at me before saying nothing will ever happen and I was a fool for saying it would.

Question. We know Regina sees the value in "playing up" their non district games but have they ever voluntarily approached Boone about playing up in the playoffs?

1 clue....you have to look outside of what Iowa is doing and not at the proposed change they want to make. I stumbled across it last year while researching what other states are doing about the private/public issue :)

I believe I have done some research on the subject. It is necessary when dealing with some of the unfounded opinions on this board. I don't recall scoffing and stating nothing was going to happen, I just don't think it is as imminent as Kemp says it is. If you could share what I am looking for? I have read of some split associations but nothing that appears to apply to the boys in Boone. I don't see a mass revolt occurring if they take no action. So throw me a clue and I will do some work on it.

What's your "case in point" as it relates to Rico Gafford? If you think you know so much about Rico and insinuate his transfer to Dowling Catholic as being illegal, we'd all like to hear it. Truth is, Rico's mother made him transfer schools - she made him choose between Valley and Dowling. When Rico contacted the Dowling coaches they had never heard for him. I know, you'll find it hard to believe. I'm sure they looked up his stats on Quik Stats, looked for HUDL video and were beyond excited when he fell in their lap. You picked the wrong example.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT