ADVERTISEMENT

Head Coach Openings 2018-19

Posted today, and the fact that they are dropping to A will mean that they won't have to play to Lake Mills, BCLUW, and Belmond Klemme, that district the last two years was ridiculous for travel.

Yea that will be a lot better for travel but they may pick up tougher teams like Wapsie, Hudson, East Buc along with the rest of their old district

Riverside (by Council Bluffs) and River Valley (I believe an 8 man school in Correctionville) are both open.

Jeff Gordon who has been the head freshman and head sophomore coach the last two years will be the first varsity head coach at Iowa City Liberty.

Leaving a successful Washington program for a struggling ADM? Seems strange but there must be more to the story.
Maybe as simple as the pull of being closer to Des Moines in a growing 3A town ... he went to college at Simpson and previously coached at Ogden so is familiar with the territory.

Saw on twitter that Dyersville Beckman will be open, also a Beckman assistant got the Boone job.

Heard today that Midland's Coach is leaving for the Solon AD job and Easton Valley has named former Highland coach Tony Johnson as Head Man.

What is going on there??? Wasn't that job open last year as well, I may be wrong but I thought it was.
As said above, it's a tough place. A lot of factors contribute to this, for a variety of different reasons, but it will be a difficult place to build a program with sustained success.

As said above, it's a tough place. A lot of factors contribute to this, for a variety of different reasons, but it will be a difficult place to build a program with sustained success.

Why do you think that is? Is it a reflection on who they are picking to be their coach? Seems like there are programs across the state that are "black holes" like Red Oak, waterloo east, several des moines schools would probably fall into this category,

Why do you think that is? Is it a reflection on who they are picking to be their coach? Seems like there are programs across the state that are "black holes" like Red Oak, waterloo east, several des moines schools would probably fall into this category,
I don't think its personally a reflection on the coaches, but I am not close enough to the situation to know much about it. Historically it has been a difficult place to win and like you said, it is just one of those jobs where a variety of factors mix together to make it tougher than a lot of other jobs. All the schools you listed about face the same type of problems as RO. Although, W'Loo East dropping to 3A will be interesting to see how that plays out, as I think they will have success.

Any word on which jobs have been filled? Obviously ADM and Boone both have been filled. It is interesting that Washington hasn't been posted yet, unless they already have an assistant that is willing to take the job. I believe ACGC was filled as well.

Decorah was posted yesterday

Nashua Plainfield today
Interesting note: Washington has not posted for Garrison Carters vacant football position, but did today post for his teaching opening. I would assume they found and are happy with an internal candidate. Also, Decorahs opening does not appear to be attached to a teaching position. This would lend one to think that it will be filled internally as well. With school budgets becoming increasingly tighter in the state, I wonder if this is a trend? Districts will begin to fill openings with current staff, as opposed to seeing what outside options they may have/or have to create to obtain the top coaching candidates.

I don't think that was Carter's job posted on Teach Iowa, from what I could tell he was at a elementary school as like a dean of students for his job, that was a high school job.

Interesting note: Washington has not posted for Garrison Carters vacant football position, but did today post for his teaching opening. I would assume they found and are happy with an internal candidate. Also, Decorahs opening does not appear to be attached to a teaching position. This would lend one to think that it will be filled internally as well. With school budgets becoming increasingly tighter in the state, I wonder if this is a trend? Districts will begin to fill openings with current staff, as opposed to seeing what outside options they may have/or have to create to obtain the top coaching candidates.
This isn't the NFL, college football...or Texas High School football. Hires for coaching positions start with filling teaching positions. If someone that is a "top" coach takes a job somewhere they probably weren't solicited by the schools as much as they decided they wanted a shot to coach at an established program and applied (or have some other tie to the area).

I saw that they were looking for a Co-Head coach, so I don't know exactly if that means their current coach is staying or what?

Also Wayne

Brian Sauser has been Hired as the New Head Coach at Grinnell, according to the Grinnell Activities Twitter Account.

Wonder if he'll leave them high a dry when a better opportunity comes along in a southern state?

Yes, but he took the job at West Burlington last year, then quit in June to take a job in Arkansas.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT