ADVERTISEMENT

Harlan

I saw them play earlier in the year, it looks like they made a lot of improvement with some very close losses. My bet is they come back next year strong.

Outcoached...in all aspects of the game

Congrats winterset!

Agreed, I missed the LC / Ankeny game to watch this game? At one point it was heard that one of the coaches yelled at the crowd "did we score too fast". Turn around and Winterset put another score on the board right after that. good thing is I don't see Harlan beating any A$$ in the immediate future so that anyone in the district should be scared.....Glenwood, Carroll and Creston will continue to lead the pack there. Best thing for Harlan would be if Carroll and Creston get re-districted again.

Congrats to winterset on a first class A$$ whipping

Harlan wasted a lot of tallent this year. It seams to me that the coaches like to play players with certain last names. Its hard to see a football team with such a legacy have these kind of seasons.

Well, a big part of defense is preparation and effort. Something is really missing if you are giving up 42 points a game. You can't just expect to be able to out offense your opponents.

Reactions: stickman80 and FLBP
Harlan wasted a lot of tallent this year. It seams to me that the coaches like to play players with certain last names. Its hard to see a football team with such a legacy have these kind of seasons.
I would really like to know what you are saying and what names are you talking about. Let me tell you something they have 4 kids that are six four or better and 260 or better in the sidelines. Those kids can't move and when they have played they have gotten destroyed by kids much smaller.

as someone who always knew of Harlan as a powerhouse - what gives? Is Bladt not there anymore? As far as HS FB legends go - he's one of the best and will probably have there stadium named after him when he dies.

They should have tried those big guys against LC in the opener, they needed some beef to slow down the rush that night. Only time I saw Harlan all year but if I recall they had some beef on the sidelines but never played much if any that night.

They should have tried those big guys against LC in the opener, they needed some beef to slow down the rush that night. Only time I saw Harlan all year but if I recall they had some beef on the sidelines but never played much if any that night.

Some of that beef did play that night, made some tackles as well...the only problem was they were making tackles 9 yards down field after being blown off the ball.

As for the defense I have watched their film against a couple of teams and here's the deal
1) the offensive coordinator is obsessed with throwing the ball. They run decently and their TOP is horrendous. The defense has no time to regroup.
2) It looks as though kids are out for themselves and want to make all of the plays. no concern for their responsibility. In some of the film and for one the first play of their game against Creston.....The tackle blocks down and the tight end blocks down....the TE is covered by the OLB and he actually blocks down across the LB and gets crosses the DE...neither the DE or LB touched him and they flew straight up the field. the hole was 8 yards wide and Shiltz goes for 80
3) they don't trust their keys and are always out of position. See #2

Coaching? Players? No idea.

harlan is hard to figure out...the winterset game , they should have been favored....harlan beats adm by 20, and adm beats winterset....winterset beats harlan soundly....i sometimes wonder if the new coaches harlan has aquired in the last few years are lacking the experience the retired coaches of the past.....?

I recall some classic games between SC.Heelan and Harlan, both teams were respected and somewhat intimidated their opponents, not sure those days will be back anytime soon. We can all give our 2 cents on what's the cause but until THEY figure it out I don't see a lot of improvement or consistency.

harlan is hard to figure out...the winterset game , they should have been favored....harlan beats adm by 20, and adm beats winterset....winterset beats harlan soundly....i sometimes wonder if the new coaches harlan has aquired in the last few years are lacking the experience the retired coaches of the past.....?

Not quite that easy with the common foe thing. I wasn't interested in my team's matchup the week of the ADM/Harlan game so I went to Adel to see their new facilities and catch Harlan play. ADM shot themselves in the foot or they would have led at halftime. In the second half they made some more mistakes and then ran out of gas. I don't know what the ADM/Winterset matchup looked like but if Winterset didn't make the mistakes against Harlan that ADM did, I'm not surprised they won.

Well, a big part of defense is preparation and effort. Something is really missing if you are giving up 42 points a game. You can't just expect to be able to out offense your opponents.

I'd throw athleticism into what makes a great defense. Part of the reason Pella can always be strong is because they have the athleticism to bring to the table to be able to develop a great defense. It's a given for them.

Only seen Harlan once this year but was not impressed with the athleticism I saw and can see how they have uncharacteristically given up a huge amount of points this season.

I agree Stick, athleticism certainly helps! But, i don't think you have to have the most athletic team in the world to at least have an average defense in high school football. So much of defense is to do your job and be where you are supposed to be. If 11 guys do that, it makes a bunch of average athletes look good. That's where athleticism can really stick out as those mistakes that are made can be covered up by just having the faster guys. I have not seen Harlan play, but, as I saw referenced earlier, I'm guessing they are not working well as a unit to give up points as they have.

Hard to figure out? Not really.
1) don't want to lift?
2) don't want a winter / spring / summer program
3) 7 on 7 twice a week for a month or two?
4) coaches go on vacation during camps
4) Want to watch film of the opponent on the day of the game - this is the kicker
5) want to let two key D1 alumni go to other schools
6) don't want to train

I could go on and on. This has nothing to do with the experience of those retired coaches or the coaches there. Look at all of the other schools in the district...young guys that don't know the old crap. Hungry guys that kids want to play for. I know a few of those kids on that team and the team for the past 5 years or so....pretty much the same deal. These kids don't play for their coaches...those old days are over of how they used to do things. The old days when nobody trained and Harlan had 22 starters and other schools had 6 or 7 kids going both ways and they could wear them down won't happen any more. Those two way guys are trained and conditioned and can go full speed now and that means better players on the field all of the time.

Whooo. done.

Want to talk about living in the past the head coach even references some plays from 2003 that they used to run with this guy and that guy and it worked then....

I am going to pick Harlan wins the next 2 games and things end on an upbeat. I also think it's an eye opener for them going into next season. Who do they open with in 2017?

Will be same schedule as this year, just flipping the home team. So they start with Lewis Central, I believe.

How does Harlan go down 34 - 7 and then come back to win 35 - 34...Denison scores no points in the second half?

did they just take the 11 starters that play defense and put in the JV?

did it turn out like varsity blues and Kilmer (Bladt) and the rest of the coaching staff not come out and the kids became the coaches?

What gives for those that were in attendance of that thriller!

:D:D:D

Denison fumbled the ball at least three or four times and Harlan came back. Harlan had the ball on the three yard line and kept passing it into the end zone. A lucky catch by a receiver made the score 34-34 after two close balls that could of been INT. Lucky.

I'm glad you all keyboard warriors have the opportunity to feel good about yourself and bash a bunch of high school KIDS and their coaches that will forget more about football that you will ever know. Please go back to your cubicle.

I'm glad you all keyboard warriors have the opportunity to feel good about yourself and bash a bunch of high school KIDS and their coaches that will forget more about football that you will ever know. Please go back to your cubicle.

As opposed to being the person who bashes the people who bash people? An interesting conundrum, 'do I attack people for attacking people?'

Well you're right....I feel great.

Played a little d1 ball so I know a little bit and that education got me in this cubicle so go back to greeting gramps

Not bashing coaches bashing grown men that are to ignanant to do what is good for those kids and too worried about themselves.

See that use of too correctly hence the college education
You would be amazed at high school boards in Texas.

Harlan people now that the season in over what's the buzz going around Harlan with respect to the 2017 season and beyond?

Not from harlan but I will give you my take.
nobody is scared of them anymore.

word of warning harlan folks beware of what you say.....the talk in the locker rooms is creston, carroll and the rams and no longer who's second behind harlan.......

opposing coaches will be nice due to history but the best thing you could do is get out of the shelby mcdonalds, get on your knees, and beg dan hoch to think about coming back and fixing that place.

and to be quite honest why are we wasting our time with this mediocre, has been of a program? sounds like a few kids are moving on to d2 / d3 schools and I feel bad those seniors that had to go through that fiasco but hopefully they will find greener pasture outside of redneck town....we wish them luck

I started this thread and I was right and now we shall put it to bed!

I might agree that Creston and Carroll have went to the next level but saying that Glenwood has seems like a stretch.

Perhaps Glenwood will surprise people in the playoffs but I doubt it. Most would not consider Glenwood a threat like the other 2 you mentioned, they were kind of ok last year and decent this year. In any event I hope Harlan bounces back, it was a great rivalry for Heelan back in the day.

Last edited:
harlan had had a bit of a bad strech many years ago but bouched back to be very dominate for years . the bad streak they have been on lately has been the longest since the 70,s if my memory is correct. a lot of harlan faithfuls have thought it was a hickup and they would bounce back to the dominate position they had in the past..i am beginning to wonder if that has changed for the worse , and it seems like they are missing some to the great players they have had in the past.. if you compare them to college recruting, it has dropped a level...the line play has only been average as of lately, and it all starts there. i quess if you look at Emmetsburg, they have took a step backwards, and wonder if the same is happening to harlan

Let me tell you what. You take an all district and all state running back that in my opinion is better than any other in that district and tell him to block for somebody else you got issues. I know tarneys father and all he had to say was do what you gotta do

The line play has not been good for years and speaking of heelan do I need to bring up the last time they met? D line is just as bad. I heard they actually moved Tarney to nose art the end of the season. Wtf?

This is like Nebraska.... It caught up to them and they will beat who they are supposed to beat and they won't win any that they aren't supposed to

As for glenwood they could have won both games against creston and Carol. They had it and gave it away

From your last statement it sounds like Glenwood is the team that only wins games they're suppose to win. I do agree that Tarney talent was wasted!

Harlan did not use the players they were given this year. Coaches played their friends kids and the kids with the names. Why fix something if its not broken. They could of beaten creston,carrol,and glenwood, but the kids did not get the chance to. I feel bad for the seniors because they could of had a great season.

Harlan did not use the players they were given this year. Coaches played their friends kids and the kids with the names. Why fix something if its not broken. They could of beaten creston,carrol,and glenwood, but the kids did not get the chance to. I feel bad for the seniors because they could of had a great season.

If they play those three games again they lose all three again. They are not in the same class as those three.

I am not sure on the friend thing but I will say this.... Take a 17 year old kid who starts for two years and makes all district and all state and quite frankly scares the crap out of the kids that have to tackle him and then tell him you're now blocking for some kid that hasn't stepped on the field..... Maybe there is some favoritism going on. I know when that kid didn't start against us it was a big relief. Actually I can't think of any other reason why you would do that so yup there has to be done favoritism going on.

If they play those three games again they lose all three again. They are not in the same class as those three.

I am not sure on the friend thing but I will say this.... Take a 17 year old kid who starts for two years and makes all district and all state and quite frankly scares the crap out of the kids that have to tackle him and then tell him you're now blocking for some kid that hasn't stepped on the field..... Maybe there is some favoritism going on. I know when that kid didn't start against us it was a big relief. Actually I can't think of any other reason why you would do that so yup there has to be done favoritism going on.

the carroll game, they spotted harlan 16 points or so, and still came back to beat them...and they would win again, better team. . it will be interesting to see how the playoff teams do against those in the tournament,.....i still believe the east has the better teams this year

Hard to figure out? Not really.
1) don't want to lift?
2) don't want a winter / spring / summer program
3) 7 on 7 twice a week for a month or two?
4) coaches go on vacation during camps
4) Want to watch film of the opponent on the day of the game - this is the kicker
5) want to let two key D1 alumni go to other schools
6) don't want to train

I could go on and on. This has nothing to do with the experience of those retired coaches or the coaches there. Look at all of the other schools in the district...young guys that don't know the old crap. Hungry guys that kids want to play for. I know a few of those kids on that team and the team for the past 5 years or so....pretty much the same deal. These kids don't play for their coaches...those old days are over of how they used to do things. The old days when nobody trained and Harlan had 22 starters and other schools had 6 or 7 kids going both ways and they could wear them down won't happen any more. Those two way guys are trained and conditioned and can go full speed now and that means better players on the field all of the time.

Whooo. done.

Want to talk about living in the past the head coach even references some plays from 2003 that they used to run with this guy and that guy and it worked then....
Sounds like Harlan and Heelan are going the way of the dinosaur. Very similar issues. You are right about new blood coaching. Watching the Crusaders get worked and out coached by the likes of Storm Lake, Spencer, and SB-L etc. is common now. Heelan lost its very good OC due to some personal issues a few years ago and that has basically killed the program. Watching the Crusaders play a few times was enough this year. The lack effort and bad attitudes from some of the starters was embarrassing. It never really changed just played bad teams at end of the year.

Sounds like Harlan and Heelan are going the way of the dinosaur. Very similar issues. You are right about new blood coaching. Watching the Crusaders get worked and out coached by the likes of Storm Lake, Spencer, and SB-L etc. is common now. Heelan lost its very good OC due to some personal issues a few years ago and that has basically killed the program. Watching the Crusaders play a few times was enough this year. The lack effort and bad attitudes from some of the starters was embarrassing. It never really changed just played bad teams at end of the year.
Going the way of the dinosaur? Really? I wouldn't write a program like Heelan off that quick after they've been in the state title 3 out of the past 5 years. Their problem has been the coaching changes the past 2 seasons which has been a step backwards for them but I bet that very good OC you referred to is going to be back next year.

Going the way of the dinosaur? Really? I wouldn't write a program like Heelan off that quick after they've been in the state title 3 out of the past 5 years. Their problem has been the coaching changes the past 2 seasons which has been a step backwards for them but I bet that very good OC you referred to is going to be back next year.
Good because last two season has been nearly unwatchable with bad offense and bad attitudes. From both staff and player. Sounds like HC better learn to stop picking favorites and build a football team. Without old OC probably won't happen. That guy ran the team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT