ADVERTISEMENT

District 5

Anonymous2002

Freshman
Oct 7, 2012
Who takes the cake here? We will go in alphabetically order:

Alburnett- returns a bulk of their team back, including arguably the best athlete in the district returning from injury in Hunter Caves. He and Barnett will have to shoulder the load with the loss of Sloan. Sevening also returns at LB to lead the defensive charge, but must find people to fill the voids of the very talented DL that all graduate.

Clayton Ridge- returns all of their skill kids, including VonHandorf, Chance White and Sarazua. Will need to replace a strong offensive front and the workhorse, Eric Ihde, who was out most of lst year due to injury. Colten Lawrence spearheads a strong defensive and offensive front, but they must fill the gaps they lose to graduation.

ED-CO- returns a TON and will be very solid! They return the majority of their OL who was very skilled this past season. They return a core of their skill kids including Preston Rochford and QB Ethan Streicher. Graduate tough kids in Parker Rochford and Welch, but I believe they have more than enough young kids coming up to help fill the few voids they have. Watch out for the Vikings.

Lisbon- graduates almost all of their production with the likes of Jennett, Krob, Hassleman, etc. They also lose O'Connor, Werdeman and co. up front. Seemed like they had a lot of selfishness with that group of Seniors. They do return Hagan Waters and a couple young offensive lineman. I see this as a re-building year but Coach Whitman will have those boys ready to play tough each game as the TEAM will be stronger, as Lisbon is traditionally solid.

Maq Valley- Loses Tucker, Hillers and Hogan, but Norman Wilson will be back to spearhead the charge. Coach Evers will have them ready to rock and roll as they will be very tough coming off a 7-2 season and making the drop to A this year.

MFL- I don't know much about them. They have a good core unit back and the wrestling team is thriving so they will have tough kids in their program. They will endure a new coach so will be interesting to see how fast they catch on to a new system.

Thoughts??

Clayton Ridge, Alb and EdCo in any order. I think all three are pretty evenly matched as no one is really heads above the others. MFL will have a new coaching staff so who knows they could surprise as they have good athletes.

Too early to look at week 1 matchups? Should be some interesting games...

Alburnett at Vinton-Shellsburg
Wapsie Valley @ Clayton Ridge
Bellevue @ Ed-Co
BGM @ Lisbon
East Buc @ Maq Valley
MFL @ S. Winn

Ed-co, MV, Lisbon would figure to be the most competitive games if last years form were to hold. But that is unlikely to happen. Alburnett is really stepping up in class, Wapsie is always going to be tough but on the road in Guttenburg is a tough 1st game, MFL starts with an old foe and should give us an idea if new staff is bringing changes?

any teams in the district scrimmaging the week prior?

Looks like Alb has a scrimmage with Cascade and CR has a scrimmage with Postville on Aug 17. Don't see anything on Maq Valley, Lisbon or Ed-Co's calendars.

Here are the D5 matchups again for week 1

Alburnett @ Vinton-Shellsburg (start time is 6 pm, varsity only)
Wapsie Valley @ Clayton Ridge
Bellevue @ Ed-Co
BGM @ Lisbon
East Buc @ Maq Valley (6pm)
MFL @ S. Winn

Not sure if any other game times have been moved up due to weather? Could be a very early night or a very long one!

Well Alburnett looked up to the part in week 1, at least in the 2nd half.
Some fumbles , penalties and a hyped up Vinton-Shellsburg defense made for a close halftime score, 13-7. But the Pirate defense kept the Vikings backed up in their own end most of the 2nd half , and some short punts led to short field for Alburnett offense, which took advantage. 49-7 Final.

B-G-M, Brooklyn 35, Lisbon 24
Bellevue 42, Edgewood-Colesburg 20
East Buchanan, Winthrop 42, Maquoketa Valley, Delhi 8
South Winneshiek, Calmar 30, MFL MarMac 10
Wapsie Valley, Fairbank 28 Clayton Ridge, Guttenberg 8

Pretty much as expected , other than Lisbon losing. But most people have felt the Lions would be down. BGM , what can you say? I'm sure everyone is hoping for only positive things for them.
MFL was probably a little closer to S Winn than I expected. Was hoping Ed-Co could give Bellevue more of a scare , although I think I saw it was 21-20 at one point? I'm sure EB and Wapsie posters can tell us more on those games?

I know it’s really early In the season but it looks like Bcmoore has Alburnett #2. I know bcmoore isn’t perfect and has a lot of flaws but it is a pretty solid way to compare teams.

Obviously like the respect for the Pirates from BCM computer. But way too early to get too giddy about that. First few weeks are skewed by lack of data. And it all gets decided on field anyway, so rankings are just good for us to debate!

C.R. struggled defensively a bit the first half but improved in the second half and started to be able to move the ball a little better. Wapsie had 12 penalties for 60 yards, so had they not been so sloppy, probably would have been a little wider margin. CRs RB was decent though.

Wapsie game would have been much worse without the weather conditions and wapsie being very undisciplined with penalties (first game jitters with so many young players I think was the reason) Also that officiating crew should be stuck doing junior high games lol. It was bad on both sides. I don’t think they know what a block in the back is because ther was numerous blocks in the back by both teams not called. I was not impressed as much as I thought I would be with Clayton ridge but they don’t play in a tough district so If they play like they did in the second half I could see them having a solid season

The D5 slate

Clayton Ridge, Guttenberg at East Buchanan, Winthrop
Highland, Riverside at Alburnett
Lisbon at North Tama, Traer
Maquoketa Valley, Delhi at North Linn, Troy Mills
Postville at MFL MarMac
Starmont at Edgewood-Colesburg

Will there be any surprises in week 2 from games involving D5 teams? Do Lisbon and EdCo bounce back in emphatic style?
Are EB and Alburnett for real, or do CR and Highland carry momentum from week 1 and spring an upset?
And what happens with tri-rivers rivals MV and NLinn?

What momentum does CR have lol just curious since they lost. East buc will win that game by 4 tds. If alburnett don’t win by 4 tds then god help them. I think most interesting matchup in this district is the Lisbon north tama game. I think this will be a good game

I know it is probably too early to tell, but I think I give the nod to North Tama, maybe 28-14? Agree, it is the most intriguing game.

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
All of the home teams take this week... some closer than others! I am also intrigued by Lisbon/North Tama. Can Lisbon bounce back with a W or is North Tama for real after whooping a poor North Mahaska squad?! EB rolls Clayton Ridge 40-14

What momentum does CR have lol just curious since they lost. East buc will win that game by 4 tds. If alburnett don’t win by 4 tds then god help them. I think most interesting matchup in this district is the Lisbon north tama game. I think this will be a good game

I will submit that momentum is a relative term. But it was my understanding that CR played Wapsie pretty even for 2-3 quarters after a bit of a rough start. Of course, Wapsie had penalties, officiating was a bit sketchy, so Wapsie should have won by bigger margin. But the Final score was 28-8. If I were a coach at CR, I might say, "hey boys, Wapsie and EB have went toe to toe with each other the last few years. We just played Wapsie and were right there with them after our bad start. Now we get EB. We clean up a few mistakes, create some turnovers, we are right there. Let's carry our play from the end of week 1 into Winthrop, and shock those wonderful people from East Buc"...or something to that effect.

I will submit that momentum is a relative term. But it was my understanding that CR played Wapsie pretty even for 2-3 quarters after a bit of a rough start. Of course, Wapsie had penalties, officiating was a bit sketchy, so Wapsie should have won by bigger margin. But the Final score was 28-8. If I were a coach at CR, I might say, "hey boys, Wapsie and EB have went toe to toe with each other the last few years. We just played Wapsie and were right there with them after our bad start. Now we get EB. We clean up a few mistakes, create some turnovers, we are right there. Let's carry our play from the end of week 1 into Winthrop, and shock those wonderful people from East Buc"...or something to that effect.

Anyone can beat anyone on a Friday night if your not ready to play. Tough to judge games from last week because of the rainy weather and what teams could and couldn't do. I have liked CR as I thought and still do think they have a good football team with a ton of size and they just happened to run into a very good wapsie team that was much quicker on both sides of the ball. A ton of penalties in that game changed the momentum of some drives for both teams. The weather sounds rainy again for this friday night also.

Reactions: Zowwy21
Rainy weather=advantage EB!! CR has better athletes than EB probably but EB’s size and physicality will prove to be too much for CR!!

Not a huge size advantage for EB at all, have you seen the Clayton R roster, they go 260, 245, 235, 225, 242 and also heard they had a couple players out for the Wapsie game. This game will be won in the trenches where most games are but I think its closer than people expect maybe two TDs at the most. Wapsie beat them with speed not by over powering them up front plus kept them off balance in their spread offense.

Your OL and EB’s OL are on a different level... big and sloppy (CR) vs big and athletic (EB). CR gets rolled!!

Can you clarify Anonymous2002 what you meant by previous post that CR probably has better athletes than EB? Are you implying the EBs OL and DL are better but CRs backs and secondary are then more athletic than CRs?

Week 2 results

East Buchanan, Winthrop 42, Clayton Ridge, Guttenberg 6
Edgewood-Colesburg 58, Starmont 0
Highland, Riverside 18, Alburnett 8
MFL MarMac 42, Postville 7
North Linn, Troy Mills 37, Maquoketa Valley, Delhi 6
North Tama, Traer 49, Lisbon 0

Obviously the big surprise here is Highland winning at Alburnett.
Really impressed with Highland. Well coached and had nice play designs on offense to hurt aggressive Alburnett D. Their defense was flying all over. Pirates had a couple key injuries early on and were unsettled. It was likely a one score game either way otherwise? But I would look for Highland to contend in d6 . i think they have Lynnville- Sully next week , which gets very interesting all of a sudden.

I think Pirates may still contend in D5 but EdCo is probably the team to beat after 2 weeks.

Week 3 matchups in district 5

Alburnett at North Linn, Troy Mills
Beckman Catholic, Dyersville at Clayton Ridge, Guttenberg
Cascade, Western Dubuque at Maquoketa Valley, Delhi
Edgewood-Colesburg at East Buchanan, Winthrop
Jesup at MFL MarMac
Lisbon at Belle Plaine

The most interesting matchup is Ed-Co at East Buch. Definitely some contrasting style. And I think we learn if Ed-co is a player in class A.

A week ago, Alburnett would have entered a rivalry game a decided favorite. Now who knows. Is MFL the only D5 team to come out of week 3 with a win?

Did Parker Rochford from ED-CO get hirt in first game of year as well?! Noticed he didnt play game 2... any info here?

ED-CO with a big win on an over-rated EB team!! Alburnett keeps it close w/ a good North Linn team with 3 of their studs out due to injury!! ED-CO and Alburnett look to be the contenders if Alburnett can get their dudes back from injury.... district play in 2 weeks!

So what happened with the EdCo/EB game? Was a little shocked given EdCo hasn’t looked as good as I thought they would be through week 2.

results in district5 week3

Beckman Catholic, Dyersville 28, Clayton Ridge, Guttenberg 6
Belle Plaine 46, Lisbon 8
Cascade, Western Dubuque 53, Maquoketa Valley, Delhi 7
Edgewood-Colesburg 33, East Buchanan, Winthrop 0
MFL MarMac 48, Jesup 20
North Linn, Troy Mills 14, Alburnett 9

the eye popping result is the Ed-Co win. Not surprised they won but really surprised they would shut out EB. CR keeping it respectable with Beckman makes me think they can still be a tough out in the district. MFL remains the great unknown. Lisbon and MV figure to battle for bottom.

And Alburnett? Still a little hard to say. Offense hasn't been consistent enough as yet to finish drives. N Linn game was very physical. Lynx size across D-line and depth overall was the difference at the end, mixed in with more than a few head scratching decisions from the zebras.

results in district5 week3

Beckman Catholic, Dyersville 28, Clayton Ridge, Guttenberg 6
Belle Plaine 46, Lisbon 8
Cascade, Western Dubuque 53, Maquoketa Valley, Delhi 7
Edgewood-Colesburg 33, East Buchanan, Winthrop 0
MFL MarMac 48, Jesup 20
North Linn, Troy Mills 14, Alburnett 9

the eye popping result is the Ed-Co win. Not surprised they won but really surprised they would shut out EB. CR keeping it respectable with Beckman makes me think they can still be a tough out in the district. MFL remains the great unknown. Lisbon and MV figure to battle for bottom.

And Alburnett? Still a little hard to say. Offense hasn't been consistent enough as yet to finish drives. N Linn game was very physical. Lynx size across D-line and depth overall was the difference at the end, mixed in with more than a few head scratching decisions from the zebras.
How tough of non district schedule does Clayton ridge have?! Dam they get wapsie, east buc, Beckman that is rough for sure. Now to end it Bellevue. With this district not being the strongest if they come out of non district healthy they could make some noise.
Also MFL will be at the bottom of this district with lisbon n maq valley. Giving up 20 points to a bad jesup team don’t show much

Not trying to be arrogant or anything.. but I really feel this district is overrated

Not sure it was ever rated super high, but I understand. But time will tell with Ed-Co. How good they are might not be determined until early/ mid November.

The fact that I am posting about district5 is not me beating my chest screaming from the mountain top about how great this district or my team is. Its simply trying to move the conversation along. I know that is uncommon on a message board....

Reactions: CRfballcoach
And on that note,

here are the matchups for week 4 in D5

Clayton Ridge, Guttenberg at Bellevue
Highland, Riverside at Lisbon
MFL MarMac at Sumner-Fredericksburg
Maquoketa Valley, Delhi at Monticello
North Linn, Troy Mills at Edgewood-Colesburg
Northeast, Goose Lake at Alburnett

NL at Ed-Co certainly gets top billing. Can CR compete with Bellevue ? Same can be said of MFL at SF (when know how GoPa feels). MV and Lisbon are likely up against it again. Alburnett might have an advantage on NE, but unless the offense finds its rhythm it might be another coin flip.

Reactions: CRfballcoach
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT