ADVERTISEMENT

DISTRICT 2

Eleven30

Freshman
Sep 11, 2009
What are everyone's predictions on this district? I would guess that Newman has to be the favorite this year.

Newman lost a awfull lot of people, they have many holes to fill. They are not the favorite

Newman Catholic - 2012 - (6-4)

- lose 11 seniors
- will have big senior class (14)
- return top back (Burgmeier)
- lose top 2 in tackles
- return QB

Will compete for the district title.

West Hancock - 2012 - (9-2)

- lost 18 seniors
- lose top 3 backs
- lose top 6 in tackles
- lose Schleuger
- return QB

Will struggle after losing majority of starters. But, the majority of D2 was hit hard so maybe their tradition keeps them in the playof hunt?

D2 looks like it may be way down this fall. They were hit hard with graduation. There will be alot of new faces this fall.

It will be interesting to see the D1/D2 matchups this fall.

I'll give it a try

1. Newman
2. Garrigan
3. AGWSR
4. West Hancock
5. Belmond Klemme
6. Prairie Valley
7. Lake Mills
8. SE Webster

I think that Newman returns the most quality players from last year, and Burgmeier is a really nice back, and they are always well coached. 2,3,4 I think you could put in any order, I put Garrigan in the 2 spot because of the Waddle kid and his ability as a playmaker, AGWSR was really improved last year and I think they return enough players who saw action to take that next step. West Hancock in 4 because of their tradition, but to me there are a lot of questions. I am not really sure what to do with BK, return some young players that played quite a bit last year, especially on the defense, but I am not quite sold. Prairie Valley lost a lot, Lake Mills is looking for an identity to me, and SE Webster I think will be better than last year, and way better than years before that but still towards the bottom.

Really this is a district where I think anything could happen

Here's my take:

1) Newman-----Coaching, tradition, and solid returning athletes should help the Knights take district title.

2) Garrigan-----Very good QB and several other solid returners.

3) West Hancock-----They lost a bunch from last year's great team, but this district is down and I just don't see them finishing any lower than 3rd.

The next several teams will be competing for the fourth playoff spot and could finish in any order:

AGWSR-----Strong finish last season. Possible momentum carrying forward into 2013?
Lake Mills-----Good QB returning
Prairie Valley----Very physical team last year, although sounds like they lost a lot of talent
Belmond-Klemme-----Talented QB is back
SE Webster-----Don't know much at all about them.

This years Eagle squad has their work cut out for them.

There are 0 returning starters at their position from last season on offense
There are 2 returning starters at their position from last season on defense
There are 3 returning players with varsity experience, all are seniors

Tradition cannot score touchdowns or make tackles, but it can inspire these players to reach beyond their abilities

I have no doubt that Coach Sanger and his staff will have the Eagles up to their potential this season

Prarie Valley has only 4 players with any varsity playing time.
I wish i had another year watching my son play as he graduated last year.
New team same dream GO WARRIORS!!!

yeah but those 4 players must be fantastic.......cuz BCMoore has them rated 14th in the state and 3rd in District 2.

What exactly does AGWSR have returning? I was impressed with the way they finished last year. Are they looking at a possible top 4 finish this season?

Originally posted by spook78:
yeah but those 4 players must be fantastic.......cuz BCMoore has them rated 14th in the state and 3rd in District 2.
BCMoore is 100% ranked off last years scores right now. It's computer generated.

Hmmm. Weird. make a ranking of teams based on players that aren't even there anymore.
This post was edited on 8/24 3:43 PM by spook78

BCMoore's ratings are designed to be a predictor of who would win a head-to-head matchup, and using the previous season early in the new year garners an 80+% success rate. As the season progresses, current year data comes more into play. If you want a more accurate computer ranking of teams wait until at least week five.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by paxregis:
BCMoore's ratings are designed to be a predictor of who would win a head-to-head matchup, and using the previous season early in the new year garners an 80+% success rate. As the season progresses, current year data comes more into play. If you want a more accurate computer ranking of teams wait until at least week five.
People always say BCMoore says Team A is supposed to win by x points. It's a predictor as stated here. They were predicted to win by x points. People always say some team is too high, some team isn't getting respect. It's a computer. It doesn't have an opinion, and as of now there is no way to factor in returning players or injuries/suspensions that occur during the year. You want a ranking read the Des Moines Register. Personally I'd take BCMoore over the paper any week of the year.

I wouldn't make the Register my first choice for a rankings. Their "rankings" are the opinions of one balding jock-sniffer.

Iowa Preps, Radio Iowa & AP are much better sources.

Originally posted by paxregis:
I wouldn't make the Register my first choice for a rankings. Their "rankings" are the opinions of one balding jock-sniffer.

Iowa Preps, Radio Iowa & AP are much better sources.

A bit harsh?
blackeye.r191677.gif

Scores from Friday, August 30:

St. Ansgar 13, Newman 6
West Fork 20, Lake Mills 18
G-H/V 56, West Hancock 0
AGWSR 41, BCLUW 0
St. Edmond 14, Garrigan 9
Belmond-Klemme 46, Eagle Grove 8

Prairie Valley lost to someone 57-8, and I haven't seen the SEW score yet.

Shocker of the night has to be the West Hancock loss. Most lopsided loss ever in the Sanger era? Has to be right up there.

Here are the matchups for the first week of district football:

Garrigan at Prairie Valley
West Hancock at AGWSR
Southeast Webster at Lake Mills
Newman at Belmond-Klemme

Predictions:

Garrigan 42, Prairie Valley 6
AGWSR 28, West Hancock 12
Lake Mills 34, Southeast Webster 14
Newman 28, Belmond-Klemme 21

Actual results:

Garrigan 44, PV 6
AGWSR 35, WH 0
LM 45, SEW 0
Newman 35, B-K 21

Only one competitive game last night. Basically, there are 5 solid teams this year fighting for the 4 playoff spots.

West Hancock has yet to score a point, and they have given up 136 points in their 3 losses.

Lake Mills is playing well. Will be interesting to see how they fare on the road against Newman in week 4.

AGWSR appears to be a contender for the district title.

B-K played Newman tough and will be a handful for any of the D2 teams.

Week 4 results:

Prairie Valley crushed SEW 60-8.
Newman over LM in a shootout, 43-28.
AGWSR scored late to knock off Garrigan 6-0 in the game of the night.
Misery continues for the Beasts, as B-K throttled West Hancock, 36-0.

Huge upset tonight, as Prairie Valley knocked off Newman,14-7.
Garrigan crushed West Hancock, 42-6.
Belmond continues to play well, handling Lake Mills 24-8.
Ackley pounded SEW, 41-6.

Current district standings:

Ackley leads the district with a 3-0 record.
Garrigan, Newman, PV, and B-K are each 2-1.
Lake Mills is 1-2.
SEW and West Hancock are 0-3.

Very impressed with PV's win over Newman. PV is coming on strong at the right time.
Happy to see that West Hancock has now scored this year. Unfortunately, it took them over half the season.
There are a number of solid teams in this district. Should be an interesting finish to the season.

Many may consider it an upset, some may not. Pv is young this year. Very few seniors. Lots of jv caliber kids playing varsity. After a couple early losses in predistrict play (both against bigger class schools) and a loss to one of the top teams in the district, they have used that playing experience time to now start playing some good ball. Their JV is currently 4-0....with most of those victories against bigger class schools than themselves. After the win against Newman, no one will overlook them now.
AGWSR looks to be the top dog, and garrigan will be in the play offs, after that there is 3 teams battling for 2 spots.
p.s. the next 2-3 years after this year could see some VERY good Pv teams...if they stay in class A.

Didn't realize that Burgmeier was out. In that case, it's not that big of an upset. Burgmeier is a workhorse for Newman and by far their most dangerous offensive threat. That's a fortunate break for Prairie Valley. We'll see if the momentum from last night carries over to upcoming games.

1) Bergmeyer was out with shoulder injury #1 back and #1 tackler
2) 2nd play of the game Mariner, second leading rusher, second in team tackles, goes out for the entire game
3) starting center out for entire game
PV played as hard as they could, and give them all the credit.
Newman has limited debth, and when you lose both linebackers (who are your leading tacklers) both running backs (who average over 250 yards a game between them, and the anchor of the offensive line, really not hard to undersatnd.

What is hard to understand is how Newman ever thought Burgmeyer could take the workload they tried to pile on him and not end up injured. I realize this is Class A and players are going to spend more time on both sides of the ball but the stats speak for themselves.

Week One Burgmeyer had 12 rushes and 14 tackles. He also ran back kickoffs, punt returns, punts and kicked the ball on kickoffs. Seems reasonable.

Week Two. 20 rushes, 2 receptions, and 7 tackles. Once again on special teams he return kicks and punted.

Week Three. After losing their first two games it looks like they decide Burgmeyer is their go to guy. 41 rushes, 2 receptions, 13 tackles, kick returns, and punts. Newman won the game but at what price?

Week Four. 25 rushes, 1 reception, 4 tackles, kick returns, and punt returns. He did tally amazing rushing yards in this win but it appears there is no let up on how heavily they are calling his number.

Week Five. Not suprisingly....he's injured.

I'm seeing more and more of this and not just in Class A. Even in the upper classes it seems like many teams are riding their top couple guys till they literally have to be carried from the field.

Originally posted by ghost80:
What is hard to understand is how Newman ever thought Burgmeyer could take the workload they tried to pile on him and not end up injured. I realize this is Class A and players are going to spend more time on both sides of the ball but the stats speak for themselves.

Week One Burgmeyer had 12 rushes and 14 tackles. He also ran back kickoffs, punt returns, punts and kicked the ball on kickoffs. Seems reasonable.

Week Two. 20 rushes, 2 receptions, and 7 tackles. Once again on special teams he return kicks and punted.

Week Three. After losing their first two games it looks like they decide Burgmeyer is their go to guy. 41 rushes, 2 receptions, 13 tackles, kick returns, and punts. Newman won the game but at what price?

Week Four. 25 rushes, 1 reception, 4 tackles, kick returns, and punt returns. He did tally amazing rushing yards in this win but it appears there is no let up on how heavily they are calling his number.

Week Five. Not suprisingly....he's injured.

I'm seeing more and more of this and not just in Class A. Even in the upper classes it seems like many teams are riding their top couple guys till they literally have to be carried from the field.

Great example of why 8 man football came about.

This post was edited on 10/2 7:07 AM by Voicefromthestands

Actually, Newman does a nice job of spreading the ball around. Several other backs get a lot of touches. 5-10 passing attemps a game. They have about 50-60 offensive plays a game. 12-25 touches for Burgmeier is not all that much.

Are these Newman injuries long term injuries?

When can they expect these guys back?

Kruck,

If Burgmeier were only getting 12-25 touches per game and not playing defense and special teams it might not be that heavy of a load but that isn't whats happening.

Week 3 he had 41 carries, 2 receptions, and a kick return. Toss in 13 tackles and that is not 12-25 touches per game. He had 11 touches and 3 tackles per quarter.

If you'd like to send us some more players so we could lighten Burgmeier's load, we'd appreciate it. Otherwise don't question the coaches use of him. He is clearly our best player and we need him on the field. Kids have carried this kind of workload forever in small class football and will continue to do so. Nobody works harder in the off-season and in the weight room than Burgmeier.....he can handle it. His injury has nothing to do with the number of carries/tackles. It's football, injuries happen. He'll be back this week and will be just fine playing every snap. Thanks for your concern though.

Why do you want someone to send you more players to lighten Burgmeier's load? Why didn't you develop them? If his load were lightened you not only would reduce the chances of him getting injured, you would also enjoy more depth by players developing from experience.

No one ever thinks their star player got hurt because of too much use but that is just not true. Hard work in the weight room can help to reduce some types of injuries but football is a contact sport and the longer you spend on the field the greater your chances are of getting hurt. The odds increase even greater when you are the point of attack or defense such as RB and LB.

Lush, do you drive? Do you have car insurance? If so then you have been asked by your agent if you commute more than a certain distance (normally 15 miles) to work. Why? Simply because the more you drive the greater the chance you will have an accident. That is no different with football.

I'm sure Newman would love another player of Burgmeier's ability to bolster their "depth". Unfortunately, that is much easier said than done. I have seen Newman play, and Burgmeier is by far their best player. To be honest, they are just an average team without him. It's pretty obvious why Newman plays him as much as they do.

You don't just "develop" another player like Burgmeier. The Newman coaching staff is very experienced, and I can guarantee you that they wouldn't play him this much unless it was necessary.

I actually have taken statistics, so I can comprehend your argument based on probability. Do you not understand this is class A? I think Newman's had a pretty good run the last 10 or so years, and they have great (not good) coaches. They do their best to develop players and get kids into games when possible. Sometimes you just have a class or two that lacks numbers and/or talent. That's their case this year. They just don't have kids that are physically ready to step in. What good would it do to put freshman/sophomores in who aren't ready to play? A lot greater chance of injuries doing that than kids playing a greater number of snaps/game.

Based on your approach, we should probably keep all of our best athletes on the sidelines, because that's the only way to limit the probability of them getting hurt. Last time I checked, kids played football to be on the field, not the sideline. Would all class A teams love to have 22 players starting... Absolutely! But it's just not feasible with 40-50 athletes 9-12. What good is a healthy player on the sideline when the team loses? The best athletes need to be on the field as much as possible to give the team the best chance to win. Yes, it is a sad story when a special athlete gets injured, but it's also sad when a team doesn't use the talent they have to the best of their advantage. There needs to be a balance, but I would wager that the coaching staff has a better gauge on what each athlete can handle than people outside their program.

Lush,

I fully understand that on paper Newman is a Class A school. I also fully understand that being a private school located in what would be considered in Iowa a metropolitan area has many advantages that most Class A schools do not have. Before you chalk up your past successes to just coaching you might want to check how dominantly successful your peers (the other private schools) have been and quit trying to weave yourself in with the public Class A schools. I'm not that naive.

Newman has more opportunities than most Class A schools to get better kids in and develop them. If you have gotten in too deep with a gifted athlete and now want pity because your workhorse pulled up lame I don't think you will receive much sympathy.

Heat, I have seen many instances of schools reigning in their workhorses because the coaches realize where the player is really needed the most (normally offense) and consequently play them little or none on defense. You don't have to start 22 players or leave your best talent on the sideline...you just have to use some common sense in who you leave on the field and how long.

Haha I can't keep quite anymore. This ghost guy is a joke and obviously does not know how successful small schools work. Hey ghost let me guess you are one of them people that think all schools should make the playoffs Haha or they all should get trophies for trying during the season :)

Swing and a miss Panther. Our waterdowned playoffs are a joke. The only thing I like about them is all the people crying about, "Too many games in too few days".

To those crybabies I say the same thing to the crybabies who have gone too deep on one athlete. Develop more players along the way and that means you start your development at a younger age (middle school and before if possible). As someone wrote, "Kids don't go out to stand on the sidelines". When you fail to work at developing more players your participation and numbers will go down and leave you justifying overworking your workhorse because you have no one else.

Playoffs should go back to 2 per district which would likely mean Newman would be a spectator come week 10.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT