ADVERTISEMENT

DB vs MMC- State Championship!

Would have been a big difference if NF would have had two key players. Not saying they would have won at all. I'm just saying it would have been a lot closer game.

Reactions: rockchalk2
Your right they may of had 100 yrd's total offense instead of 25. Don't worry we knew the shoulda, coulda, woulda's would come out. How about just give credit where it's due. Keep on doubting our kids, and they'll keep proving you all wrong!!!

All I'm saying is it would have been a little closer. Sorry for doubting your kids. My freaking bad!! I'm still taking MMC. Go eagles!

I'll take Don Bosco by 2 touchdowns. We found out today teams from the west can't handle the defense of teams from the east!!!!
Don Bosco may be the only team in the East that has a defense that can compete with the West. For example, a 5-4 three seed in WBM (West) completely throttled a 9-0 one seed in Janesville (East) in the second round. DB is a solid football team that doesn't get much credit because they are from the East. People need to realize that Geographical location doesn't decide the talent and hard work a team has. Im from the west side of the state so please dont think I am being Biased. Districts 1,2 are the districts I know most about. That being said congrats on DB and MMC on making the Finals. I see it being a dogfight with MMC coming out 21-14 over DB. Good luck to both teams!

Would have been a big difference if NF would have had two key players. Not saying they would have won at all. I'm just saying it would have been a lot closer game.
You actually don't know that. Bosco throttled down the offense to grind that game down knowing NF couldn't move the ball. If NF had a better offense, that game may have been 62-20.

After the defenses won the games in the Semis, I think the Championship will be more offensively dominated. DB proved that they are a real contender by defeating a team from the west (ignoring the fact NF was without their two best players) but none the less, a good football team. MMC proved that they can handle a much bigger line by, for the most part, owning the line of scrimmage or at least when it mattered the most. I see MMC's line having even more success over the DB line. DB's line is above average for sure, but I personally believe Glidden had the best line in the state, and most certainly the biggest.

Summary: Offensive battle. DB not physical enough to handle Specht. As long as MMC D-Line plays well and don't allow big holes to open up and big plays to happen...MMC takes it all 48-32.

I asked in the first game what the website was to watch it. Then my internet got bad and I couldn't watch the 4th quarter. Every time I tried to get back on it, it was going to the first game for some reason. So then after that I finally ask on Iowa preps. Then after that I went to kche and listened to the rest.

I asked in the first game what the website was to watch it. Then my internet got bad and I couldn't watch the 4th quarter. Every time I tried to get back on it, it was going to the first game for some reason. So then after that I finally ask on Iowa preps. Then after that I went to kche and listened to the rest.
So watching now changes to listening lol

You actually don't know that. Bosco throttled down the offense to grind that game down knowing NF couldn't move the ball. If NF had a better offense, that game may have been 62-20.
You have to take in consideration of the nf players too thinking hey we have two of our best players out and we are in the semi-finals. thats puts a lot of pressure on these kids to perform to a next level which might have caused them to sputter more on offense. NF also made several mental errors during that game which they usually don't make. That was a different team out on the field today then what I've seen in the past. They made DB look a whole lot better than i think they really are. Don't get me wrong db still looked impressive but going on and saying they have proved all doubters wrong and will take of MMC might be a little ridiculous haha.

You have to take in consideration of the nf players too thinking hey we have two of our best players out and we are in the semi-finals. thats puts a lot of pressure on these kids to perform to a next level which might have caused them to sputter more on offense. NF also made several mental errors during that game which they usually don't make. That was a different team out on the field today then what I've seen in the past. They made DB look a whole lot better than i think they really are. Don't get me wrong db still looked impressive but going on and saying they have proved all doubters wrong and will take of MMC might be a little ridiculous haha.
I just find it funny how time and time again Don Bosco beats all the odds against them and proves everyone wrong yet nobody ever seems to give them credit. Remember, the Dons are the worst team in the dome everyone and can't hang with the West side of the state! By the way the ridiculous statement is saying that Specht and the MMC team isn't going to be huffing and puffing for air mid through the second quarter. They will get tired just like they did against GR today!

I try to hold back on these threads because I know there is always a comeback for any point made, but I will put in my summary of the Dons...

DB is a solid team all around. I have seen people mention 1, 2, and at times 3 players that can dominate a game, be that with speed, strength, or whatever the case may be, but anyone that has watched a DB game this year understands that with DB it's a different situation. Unfortunately quik stats is down ATM or I would show exact figures but DB has to have 3-4 rushers with close to or over 1,000 yards. Both QBs Mangrich and Bagby, and then Joel Sweeny (who had one of the most athletic runs I've seen all year in the dome game). Spencer Bruess and Caleb Rigdon both solid receivers, Rigdon with amazing speed and Bruess with the ability to move in open space and fall ahead for an extra 2/3 yards every catch. Then Dylan Reiher on special teams who rarely gets the ball on an explosive offense. So many weapons to choose from.

On defense...not much to say really. Smith was an absolute animal in the NF game. Second half I believe I counted 5 straight defensive plays Smith was in on the tackle...3/4 were solos in the backfield. They are sound and hard hitting.

Overall, I just don't see anyone hanging with this squad for longer than a half. Once the second half starts, depth kicks in and from seeing MMC's numbers, that could be an issue. Not to discredit MMC before the game is even played, but it would really impress me if they can trade blows for 4 quarters.

Final prediction: MMC goes into half leading 16-14, Bosco makes changes, wears them out and gets a few big plays to take the game 42-30

I think MMC prevails but it won't be easy. All week I was a doubter of DB and I'll eat some crow. They proved me wrong and I was impressed with what I saw. I do believe that Glidden was better than NF team that showed up to play today and that will help MMC. DB better be able to contain Specht better than Glidden did or this could get ugly. I'm actually thinking this will be a high scoring shoot out. DB looked good throwing the ball and MMC has a secondary that makes me a little nervous. DB defense may have looked good but have they seen a player like Specht? This kid seems to make somthing out of nothing almost every play. He had a little bit of a sloppy game at times vs Glidden as far as turnovers go and that could play a big role in deciding the winner of this game as well. I'll say MMC 48-42

Depth definitely could be a big factor in this game. The majority of MMC's guys play both ways. The Dons have a select few. What I do know about both teams is that they both step up their game big time in the second half. MMC has arguably the best player in 8 man while DB has the best lineman. I think it's going to be a lower scoring game compared to what everyone else is saying. Defense will dominate this game. Specht will run for over 200 but won't get in the end zone. The Dons also put together some drives but won't get in the end zone either. Don bosco gets a safety on MMC in the second quarter and that is all of the scoring until the fourth quarter when Jacob Spieler boots a 27 yard field goal as time expires to give MMC the win 3-2 and their second state championship in 4 years.

I am from the east. That doesn't matter. I watched both games yesterday. My team lost to DB in the playoffs. Put simply, depth will be the single most important factor. Not counting a few kids who just played on KO or KR, DB played 18 kids yesterday. The other 3 teams all played roughly 11 kids. Would love to hear someone correct me if I am wrong on that though. Anybody that played more than probably 5-6 snaps I counted in this assessment.

That is why DB will win on Friday. Nobody can compete with fresh bodies all the time. Running 1-2 players, sometimes 3 and seeing NF run 1 player mostly every other play into the game or less, wore them out. Just like our game, we hung around for 1 half. Then the 2nd half began just like yesterday and the depth got to NF early and often in the 2nd half. Thus the score went from 12-7 to 24-7 within the first 5 mins of the 2nd half.

DB wins. By 3 TD's+

Reactions: Js33
Watching the MMC game yesterday I thought it was quite simple what they were doing. GR would shut them down first 2 plays and then they would spread out the receivers and backs let them run the d-backs off. Then specht would take off for 30 yards. They did that the whole game and GR didn't have a guy spy him the whole game. So all those rushing yards he had all he had to beat was a D-end and there wasn't another player for 20 yards. And MMC's passing game was not very good. I think maybe close first half but bosco pulls away in the second. MMC is not going to run the ball on Bosco. Also enough of bosco not seeing a physical team N-F was very physical and they handled them just fine. Not hating on MMC just Stating what I saw according to yesterdays Game.

Two good teams going at it. DB proved me wrong by watching them dominate a solid NF team. (I know NF had two stud players out). DB's defensive line is solid, Dalton Smith is for real. BUT, so isn't Ben Specht and company. I think the Eagles control the line of scrimmage, their line has proven to win battles when it's mattered most. A close game for awhile, but the Eagles take home the title.

MMC: 42

Don Bosco: 28

Funny how some of you can't take anything that is said on these boards with a grain of salt. Clearly everyone is going to have an opinion that differs from your own so take it for what it is and just watch the kids play next week.

Now onto the game, I believe it is going to be a good one! I feel MMC had the better opponent yesterday, but DB did a great job of playing who was in front of them. Do I believe DB had an easy road in state? Yes. Do I believe they beat a short handed team in NF? Yes. But that's not their fault as they're only playing the teams the state puts in front of them. This DB team is more balanced than any Hogan or Svoboda ran team, and their line is solid. But I think I will give the nod to MMC as they are more battle tested by playing a really tough WBM team twice in a matter of three weeks as well as facing a solid GR team yesterday. I don't expect a blowout whatsoever. So I'll take MMC and DB trading shots throughout the game with MMC going up two scores late in the 4th to seal the deal.

Best of luck to both teams and most of all the kids as this will be a game to remember!

Watching both semi-final games in the Dome (& not having a dog in either fight) - I honestly have to say the first game looked like a match between boys, while the second game, a match between men. If that type of play holds true next Thursday, the men from MMC will take home the championship trophy.

Good luck to both teams!

Going to put something out there...

The year Bosco won it (2013-14 season) they faced "dominant" athletes. During those games DB for the most part completely shut them down. Elias Nissen (Springville) who now plays at UNI, was one of the best in the state and I believe averaged around 200 yards and 3 or more touchdowns a game just on the ground. Those are low ball numbers but he was shut down for I want to say 40/50 yards and maybe 1 score late. Then Adari-Casey running back Plowman had bowled over everyone leading up to the semis and again, ended with (I believe) under 100 yards and 1 score. Then in the title game with Peppers bros and Hansen, it was more of a defensive battle, but once again held them to 2 scores all game.

Now I was on that finals team and could take the stance that "we were the best team in school history" or I could be unbiased here. I personally think based on performance this year that the 2015-16 defense is as good if not better than when the title was won. That being said...I stand with my prediction that Specht and company are worn down by a consistent rotation of solid role players, and DB widens the lead at the end of the third to win by 2/3 scores.

I am new to this site and I should just stay quiet but I have to say something that I think most people are missing…….

First to start with the NF vs DB game. To say that NF was without their two "best" players is completely inaccurate. Yes those two players were key parts of their team and without a doubt what caused the fall of NF in this game. They still had Wise who is one hell of an athlete. One could argue that he is their best player. We have seen him score and defend on teams better than DB both this season and last. He is quick and strong and on defense he may not have the most tackles of the team, but he contains runners in that end position better than most ends in the state. Imagine the pressure he felt knowing it came down to him and a few others to pull this game out with essentially half a JV team. In the end he couldn't carry the team without the other two despite his best efforts. He wore out and yes that does give DB credit for their depth.

With all of that being said, to see NF's offense not play even close to what they are capable of and their defense to limp along much the same way, and still have the score only end with 30-7 says a lot about DB as a team. I see MMC's strength and quickness taking DB in the end. They are a stronger team as a whole and are very well coached and well rounded. I don't believe this to be much of a contest. My prediction MMC takes it 44-21.

Really wish I could have seen the real NF team beat DB and then the championship game with MMC. That would have been one heck of a game. I wouldn't have been able to call the winner on that one.

Last edited:
I think Bosco wins it's gonna be a great game with 2 great teams battling it out but I think Bosco had a hidden game with the pass offense that they haven't had to use this year. When they have gone to it it's worked well with Bagby at QB and having Rigdon as a speed threat and Bruess when he gets his hands on the ball he is hard to bring down. They have other threats at wide receiver that can come up with be plays like Reiher who can beat you down the field.

I don't know what it is about the Bosco posters on this board that requires personal shots on student athletes such as the above post. To call out Jacob Speiler after watching one game where he played through an injury during the game is asinine. "Coachability" is not a problem with this kid. He is also far from the "weak link on their defense. If you paid attention he was tasked with covering GR's stud, Brown I believe, who is one of the better players in 8 man. I don't know who will win and I don't have a rooting interest but the Bosco fan base that frequents this board make it hard to root for them. I know the poster above says he is not from Bosco but his posting history seems to show otherwise.

First of all...Kuckel, he said he is unbiased and not from Bosco...so your statement is invalid lol...

Second of all HomeFieldFan..."Half a JV team"....You're now implying that NF didn't have 2 varsity players to replace the 2 men down? Even if they were JV kids, thats not "half a JV team." You're completely discrediting a Don Bosco team that has came from a 1-9 season in 11 man football back in the 2011-12 season all the way to 49-2 in 8-man.

I'm not saying MMC is a bad team, but everyone seems to miss the fact that the only DB losses in their 4 years of 8-man have come (1) in the finals to an MMC team with I believe some 240 lb kids that didn't even get to see the field, so clearly a powerhouse the year they won it, and (2) a NF team that won it last year in the last 3 minutes when Svoboda went down. Again, not blaming injury there or discrediting this year's MMC team...but crazy how it seems credit is never given. MMC is a great team. But in the most recent national rankings, DB is 6th in the nation for 8-man teams. I know it's a stretch to bring up ranking in HS football let alone Iowa, let alone 8-man, but Yoder and the staff at Bosco have made a splash, and it is clearly getting some national attention.

Yeah my bad he seems unbiased talking about the "Bosco Train" and the 50-2 record and mentioning individual players and their potential mismatches-doesn't seem like he follows them at all - how crazy of me to think otherwise

My post is "invalid" because he says he's not from Bosco? Hmmm I recall th NF post where a Bosco poster created an account as one of the NF players and posted under that username which thankfullly has been deleted but my post and opinion is "invalid". Laughable.

Reactions: Huskies68
DB fans are truly Douche Bags. This seems to happen every year and If recall right it happened in 2012 when DB fans said the Dons would roll a much weaker and slower MMC team. What happened there? DB got their asses handed to them. For as much as DB fans keep saying injuries don't matter (NF game) they sure are brining up the Svobodva injury a lot in regards to their other loss in 4 years. Do I think this will be a close game? Yes, and I actually was pleasantly surprised with howDB played Thursday but I am sick and tired of all these cocky DB fans that think they know it all about the F*cking game of football. You all need a reality check and I hope it happens Thursday

DB fans are truly Douche Bags. This seems to happen every year and If recall right it happened in 2012 when DB fans said the Dons would roll a much weaker and slower MMC team. What happened there? DB got their asses handed to them. For as much as DB fans keep saying injuries don't matter (NF game) they sure are brining up the Svobodva injury a lot in regards to their other loss in 4 years. Do I think this will be a close game? Yes, and I actually was pleasantly surprised with howDB played Thursday but I am sick and tired of all these cocky DB fans that think they know it all about the F*cking game of football. You all need a reality check and I hope it happens Thursday

I certainly hope you feel better. This all is kind of crazy. The talk about west is awesome ,east sucks, douche bags, etc.. There are obnoxious folks east and west.

Huskies if you read back a ways it's quite clear Sadey is an Elkader guy. Not saying we don't have a douche bag or two around town, but my goodness.

It's a high school football game people. Everyone will have a favorite. Someone one will win and someone will lose , both good enough to be there. Cheer for your teams and make your predictions. But a few folks from BOTH sides could grow up a bit. Winning this game doesn't make anyone better than anyone else, it's a football game, and it belongs to the kids.

Next Thursday one group of boys will be jubilant and one group will be heart broken. Win or lose it's tough for me emotionally. I'd much rather win of course, but seeing the hurt in the other side when we win always breaks my heart at the same time. The best team doesn't always win. There is no disgrace in losing this next one, for either side. Both groups of boys earned the right to be there. Unfortunately someone will lose, that's the way sports is.

Good luck MMC, I hope all of your boys stay healthy this week and get to enjoy the game. God bless.

Last edited:
Sadey correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that Paulsen is the other RB in the backfield with Sweeney, not Sawvel. Actually I don't think Sawvel has played on the offensive side since the first couple weeks of the season.
DB is the best team. MMC has too many holes and no depth. Spieler as a defender is a weak point. DB will attack and the way he was getting pulled aside constantly tells me he has some "coachability" issues. Don't get me wrong, he has some raw tools but it stops there. MMC is in a better position of leadership with Specht at QB. 97/98 were tired that they had to rotate with one another so their size takes a big hit with just 1 of them on the field. If they line up in the same defense as they did against GR, the TE's will get the edge pinned in and Frost will pull around the end with Sweeney or Sawvel also free to block. I'm not from Bosco, I am from an 8 man NE IA school. We played Bosco, they wore us out because of their depth. The depth of the other 3 Semifinal teams is the same as our's (11 guys), I watched the game and this is a fact. Bosco played 18 on offense/defense. That will be the difference.

Bosco wins by 3 or more TD's. It's gonna be very hard for MMC to move the ball, they can't throw. Specht putting the ball in the air is an INT waiting to happen every pass attempt.

People that watched those games that think MMC is more physical, athletic, better coached or anything of that nature, does NOT know football whatsoever.

Good luck to MMC trying to stop the train that is DB. 49-2 I believe in the last 4 years. Will be 50-2 after Thursday. This isn't trash talk it is valid football knowledge with no emotion or bias attached to it. Please name a balanced team that MMC beat during the regular season. Best wins are GTRA and WBM right? Neither are balanced. HLP may be more balanced but they aren't a state qrt final caliber team obviously.

Thursday will tell the truth about this matchup. I expect the same old story, maybe close until half and then DB wears out and pulls away from MMC. They did it to NF and whether they had Schneidegger and Wolterman or not, they were still more physically capable of holding up against DB than MMC and didn't. Good luck to MMC in this endeavor.

Prediction: 36-18 DB

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT