ADVERTISEMENT

D6 preview

fmclonefan

Freshman
Nov 21, 2006
Time to start getting some previews going! I love to follow 3A ball, more so in the southern half of the state as those are the teams I get to see more. Going to start with D6. In my preview last year for D6, I picked Norwalk to win the district. Was wrong. This year, I have decided to stick with Pella winning it until somebody knocks them off. This district appears to be a three horse race for the two playoff spots. Pella, Norwalk, and Carlisle appear to be the class of this district. This is no surprise as these three teams are usually towards the top of the standings. But, Bondurant-Farrar should be much improved and are knocking on the door. North Polk, Nevada, Grinnell, and Knoxville look to be in the lower half of the district. Here’s my best guesses for the district finish:

1. Pella - Is hard to pick against them until they get knocked off. Have won 41 games and 3 state titles in a row. But, they lose a lot. Nick Finney was a complete stud last year. 2700 yards in the air and over 1200 on the ground. Pretty tough to replace that. Lost the two big wide outs and several lineman. As history has shown though, Pella reloads. They have a bevy of RB’s back, several lineman and 3 or 4 all-state caliber defenders. The defense will be very tough. They had 5 shutouts last year, would expect similar results this year while the offense finds its way. Expect them to try and be more run oriented this year. Optimism is pretty high in the Tulip City for another deep run.

2. Carlisle – Carlisle should be very good this year. They run a tough wishbone type of offense and have excellent athletes. Goodhue at QB and Pickering at RB will put up big numbers this year. They wear down teams with the running game. The question mark will be if the defense will improve against the better teams they play. In games they lost last year, they gave up an average of 34 points. Glawe is an excellent LB, leading tackler, and will lead the D. Great test @ Ballard in week 1. Carlisle has to figure out a way to get past Pella or Norwalk to take that playoff step. Carlisle and Norwalk seem to always have great, close games. They also play in week 9 this year, which is awesome. Good chance it will decide a playoff spot.

3. Norwalk – It seems like Bransfield has been the QB at Norwalk since he was in 3rd grade. Will be very different seing the Purple on the field without him under center. Like Finney, you can’t lose a guy of that caliber and just replace him. He had 2300 plus yards in the air and 840 on the ground. Norwalk has several studs back including Garner at RB, Rosonke and Hochstetler at WR. Several good lineman including Enders, who is a very, very big dude. Hixson is also an all-state caliber kicker. The defense does lose a lot of starters. Will the new QB be able to get the ball effectively to the other playmakers? This is the key and the big question. If so, Norwalk will be very tough.

4. Bondurant-Farrar – This appears to be the team on the rise. The community itself is growing. Beautiful new stadium. Great new coach in his second year at the helm. A bevy of returning players. All everything Yeager is back at RB/WR position. Moeller is back at QB. Lots of lineman back, led by Carlson at DL, is a load there. But, B-F needs to stop the better teams on the schedule. In their losses last year they gave up about 40 points a game. Carlisle ran all over them and Pella and Norwalk threw all over them. They have to shore that up if they want to get over the hump. They are an exciting team and look to be improved. Expect them to break through, if not this year, then soon.

5. North Polk – Was impressed with North Polk last year, their first in 3A. Had some physical guys and they were better than I thought they’d be. Good RB, Russell is back. Have some physical lineman back. Lomica is a very good DL, had 12 tackles for loss, 9 sacks, etc. He takes up some space. Capaldo is gone at QB, don’t know how good the replacement will be. If they can get a serviceable passing game going, should help Russell. N Polk has a chance to be a solid team. I don’t think they will be able to stay with the top teams in the district, but they, like B-F should be a team on the rise as well.

6. Nevada – Nevada has a beautiful new stadium also. They also have a ton of players back this year. Chitty is a very good athlete and overall player. They can build around him and Stahl at RB. I only got to see them play once last year, and it was a bad game for them, so I still have the jury out on how good they will be. I’m afraid they will struggle against the better teams. 4 teams put up over 45 on them last year. They have to bulk up and improve on D in order to stay in those games.

7. Knoxville – The good news is that Jacob Zuck is back at QB is he threw for about 1000 yards and ran for over 400. They have a great deal returning. Bad news is that they lost Trent Davis who was their best skills player. Knoxville will score some points as they have a rush heavy offense with selective passing that can be effective. Defensively though, they have got to improve. Pipkins is back, who was the leading tackler, but they had trouble stopping anybody not named Chariton. Would be good year for them if they can win 2 or 3 district games.

8. Grinnell – Is hard for me to believe that it has come to this that I am picking them last. What on earth has happened to this program. A traditional playoff team over the years. In the dome in 2012, one win short of the dome in 2013. One win last year. Prospects don’t look bright this year either. Seth Howard, QB who threw for 2000 yards and ran for 580 yards is now at Osky (who they play in week 2). Simon is gone at RB. Allen is gone at WR. The defense should actually be pretty good, so that might keep them in some games. But, not sure how the offense is going to score much. Surely Grinnell can't stay down like this for long, can they?
We'll see how wrong I am this year!

Reactions: bigfridaynite
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT