ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Openings 2018-19

Where did you see this? Looking at their website it looks like they hired an assistant, and the head coach wanted to be an assistant but they put off on hiring him.

As for the best jobs open or that have a coaching change.

I see the Greene County job and North Polk as being the best two, Greene County has quite a bit returning and North Polk seems like it could grow into a really good 3A program as they have had a lot of success at the 2A level. Union is right behind these two, it's a really good job in a nice area, but the cupboard isn't very full as they graduated a really big senior class, but they have had it rolling there with a good kids program. Tipton could be a really good job, but they are a program that has just never seemed to get over the hump. Cherokee can be a really good job but has also been a program that has struggled, but is a place that you can win at. The Roosevelt job isn't an easy 4A job but it also isn't the hardest, I think Moore could have success there. Mason City is a very tough 4A job being the smallest 4A school and also being very isolated and I'm sure lose kids to Newman and Clear Lake all the time, now if they would drop down to 3A which could happen that could make that job a little more manageable. Ottumwa is very similar to Mason City but probably even tougher job and with almost no chance of moving down to 3A, but they have had past success in the 90s and early 2000s so maybe the right person could get it going. Montezuma is a good 8 man job. Sibley I don't know a lot about, but small school NW Iowa is really tough. Starmont if open could be a nice job but they have really been struggling to get kids out. North Butler which goes with Clarksville seems to have many of the same problems with numbers. Maq Valley could be a winning program but again don't have the numbers. Finally I would say that North Mahaska is the toughest job, they really should have dropped down to 8 man, it is kind of sad to see with all the success they have had as a program.

Reactions: hawxs22
I would agree with this post. The only things I would add are that if your basing the list off of current quality, I would agree 100%. If we are looking into 5 years down the road, I would put NP as clearly the best job. I would also move Mason City up as a much better job IF they were to drop down to class 3A.

As for the best jobs open or that have a coaching change.

I see the Greene County job and North Polk as being the best two, Greene County has quite a bit returning and North Polk seems like it could grow into a really good 3A program as they have had a lot of success at the 2A level. Union is right behind these two, it's a really good job in a nice area, but the cupboard isn't very full as they graduated a really big senior class, but they have had it rolling there with a good kids program. Tipton could be a really good job, but they are a program that has just never seemed to get over the hump. Cherokee can be a really good job but has also been a program that has struggled, but is a place that you can win at. The Roosevelt job isn't an easy 4A job but it also isn't the hardest, I think Moore could have success there. Mason City is a very tough 4A job being the smallest 4A school and also being very isolated and I'm sure lose kids to Newman and Clear Lake all the time, now if they would drop down to 3A which could happen that could make that job a little more manageable. Ottumwa is very similar to Mason City but probably even tougher job and with almost no chance of moving down to 3A, but they have had past success in the 90s and early 2000s so maybe the right person could get it going. Montezuma is a good 8 man job. Sibley I don't know a lot about, but small school NW Iowa is really tough. Starmont if open could be a nice job but they have really been struggling to get kids out. North Butler which goes with Clarksville seems to have many of the same problems with numbers. Maq Valley could be a winning program but again don't have the numbers. Finally I would say that North Mahaska is the toughest job, they really should have dropped down to 8 man, it is kind of sad to see with all the success they have had as a program.

I would tend to agree, but with the North Polk job you will be facing a much tougher schedule year in and out then with the Greene County job, and it isn't like Greene County doesn't have solid tradition even if it was as JSPC.

I personally know nothing about North Polk personally I am just stating some generalizations, but just because a school is growing and is in a well to do area it doesn't mean that it is a guarantee of community support in a positive way or parent support. There are many cases where schools in these spots have helicopter parents who only look out for their child, and consistently bash coaches.

I would put that as a possible reason. But again I personally know nothing of North Polk, I am going off of cases at schools similar to North Polk.

I'm not sure why the NP coach would resign from a job like that...
It does seem a bit odd, but at the same time, I think they have been around .500 for the last decade or so. As someone else stated, the schedule week in and week out would be tough. BF, Carlisle, ADM, Ballard, DCG etc etc are all going to be above average-good year in and year out. That is not even taking into effect the best teams in 3A aren't even from the metro area. Is the area nice, affluent, and growing rapidly? Yes. But the football job itself would be a tough IMO.

Reactions: hawxs22
Benton lost a strong senior class, but do return a good QB.

It's a job that needs the right fit. Reese Morgan had a lot of success there in the 80's and Kal Goodchild has had two nice stints as their coach but outside of that coaches have really struggled to find success there.

Personally I wonder if Goodchild's son will want the job.

I had heard the rumor that Grundy's coach had resigned, but had not confirmed it yet. Cedar Valley area is a nice location and DNH, AP, etc have had a strong tradition from the area. Is that a growing area/district?

I can confirm it through his twitter. Grundy Center is growing slightly but not at the rate of other schools in the area. However it is much smaller then it used to be.

Grundy used to be a power back in the 80's but then fell on really tough times in the late 90s into the early 2000s. There last two coaches Brandon Krusey and Brent Thoren both came from North Tama. Krusey really returned the program back to relevance and Thoren took it a bit farther, however they have seemed to of been just a little bit off of taking that leap and challenging for a deep playoff run.

Greene County has been filled by an assistant coach from Panorama HS. Any other news out there?

Brandon Krusey hired at Mason City, had great success at North Tama, did very well at Grundy Center and Independence, and was starting to get things moving in the right direction at Davenport North. I would say that North and Mason City are similar jobs in many ways so it'll be interesting to see how he does there.

Lewis Central would be a very interesting job IMO. I am sure they have some very good assistants on staff that would love to take that over, along with a plethora of CB/Omaha area candidates that would all be interested.

Any news on NP, Tipton, or Cherokee? As stated above by others, the 3 of these jobs would all be good on varying levels.

Reactions: FBisLife5309
Brandon Krusey hired at Mason City, had great success at North Tama, did very well at Grundy Center and Independence, and was starting to get things moving in the right direction at Davenport North. I would say that North and Mason City are similar jobs in many ways so it'll be interesting to see how he does there.

Article

This article said he was 4A D4 coach of the year after finishing tied for third at 2-3 in-district. I'm not sure I have ever heard of anything like this before. The D4 coaches must have a lot of respect for him.

North is a tough job

In the previous 10 years prior North had a record of 9-82, the only year that they won more then 1 game was in 2017. So Krusey winning 5 games pry is deserving of coach of the year in that district.

Last edited:
Nope I was surprised as you are. I kind of wonder if Coach Perkins wanted to be a head coach? I mean his dad is a hall of famer from being an assistant for almost all of his career. He had a pretty good thing going working as an assistant at Madrid, then was put in a tough situation when Coach Hinkel died, but knew he had to be the one to take it over. The last couple of years they have struggled as well.

Again I have no idea what so ever just doing some speculating.

Lewis Central is now officially open according to their Twitter page. Coach Duggan is retiring. Was he a teacher in the district?

Have any hires been reported?

North Polk?
Tipton?

We already know MC and Union have been filled. Of the jobs left, I am not sure how I would rate the ones that are open. Hiring seems to be lagging behind resignations at this point, which is normal I think. Some jobs have been open for quite some time without much movement.

Reactions: FBisLife5309
the positions take longer to fill as they usually have to wait and see what teaching positions are available along with the coaching position and most districts wait until budgets are finalized to decide that. I would expect March to bring movement on a lot of these positions

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT