ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Openings 2018-19

PNation

Varsity
Aug 15, 2010
With the regular season over I figured that we might as this thread started. Has anyone heard of any coaches resigning or retiring?

I know that Bob Howard is resigning Athletic Director and Head Football at Webster City, but plans to reapply for the Football job so you would have to assume that they will rehire him.

Your are most likely correct on Bob Howard. It’s an IPERS thing. You have to retire from teaching or administration, as well as resign from coaching, to collect your full retirement, then get rehired as coach.

I see that Des Moines Roosevelt is open, which is not a surprise as their previous coach left I believe in late July for a college job. Their interim coach was PJ Hedrington, I don't know if he will have a chance for the job or not.

Also Montezuma is open.

According to the Ottumwa Courier, the coach did not have his contract renewed. Ottumwa would be a tough job, but they have a beautifully renovated Football complex.

Reactions: obfuscating
The Mason City Globe Gazette is reporting that Mason City will be open. It is a job similar to Ottumwa, the one upside to Mason City is that they have a decent shot at going 3A next cycle.

I imagine that Roosevelt job will pretty sought after, it is the best public school job in Des Moines!

Sadly I’ve been informed bob Sanger of Britt west Hancock is currently very sick. My prayers to him and his family. So there may be a position opening there very soon. I think his son may take over. If not, that’s a great program to take over especially with the talent they will have in class A next year

Reactions: obfuscating
Very interesting about Cherokee. They return a bunch of outstanding players for next year and Coach Schipper has had a very good run there.

What Happened with Tipton PNation?? They went 6-3 last year and seemed to be going well.

I believe Tipton was open a few years (3?) ago. Seems like a really good job from the outside. They will be 2A the next recycle according to their job posting.

PNation have you heard anything on Candidates for the Roosevelt job? I’ve heard it is down to 5.

Heard it’s down to 4 candidates, with Greene County coach being their #1 choice.
I find it interesting that the GC coach would be a candidate. He has really turned around Greene Count in 2 years, they're building a brand new school and athletic complex, and he returns a lot of great talent next year. I'd be shocked if anyone other than PJ Hedrington got the job, as he appeared to do a great job there last year.

I disagree with that, I think most people felt like Roosevelt underachieved this year. They were even ranked by a few polls in the preseason and went 3-6. If you look at their schedule they probably weren’t going to win 7 or 8 games but I think most felt like they should have a winning record. Hedrington has a track record of getting a job, underachieving and then resigning. Seems like a good assistant just not the right personality to be a head coach.

Reactions: hawxs22
I find it interesting that the GC coach would be a candidate. He has really turned around Greene Count in 2 years, they're building a brand new school and athletic complex, and he returns a lot of great talent next year. I'd be shocked if anyone other than PJ Hedrington got the job, as he appeared to do a great job there last year.

Not to down play GC, but it seems a little small for the quality of a coach like Mitchell Moore. Being a former D1 college coach, it seems like GC job would be more like a jumping off point to a bigger job like a Roosevelt rather than a final job for a young coach like Moore. I could be wrong though.

I had heard from one of Coach Hadachek's friends that he had been contemplating this for a couple of years.

Joe will be missed at Union, but it is a great program to walk into for any potential replacement. One of the best facilities in the state, strong youth program already established, tons of community support, etc.

Little birdie tells me that Mitch Moore has been offered the DM Roosevelt job. He’ll accept it as long as they can find him a job in the school, as he does not have a teaching license. If the deal falls through, they will re-advertise the position.

I disagree with that, I think most people felt like Roosevelt underachieved this year. They were even ranked by a few polls in the preseason and went 3-6. If you look at their schedule they probably weren’t going to win 7 or 8 games but I think most felt like they should have a winning record. Hedrington has a track record of getting a job, underachieving and then resigning. Seems like a good assistant just not the right personality to be a head coach.

Well, then “most” people seem like they’ve got an axe to grind and if “Most” felt like they should have a winning record....after replacing 19 starters....then “most” might be a bit delusional.

Reactions: superslong23
Little birdie tells me that Mitch Moore has been offered the DM Roosevelt job. He’ll accept it as long as they can find him a job in the school, as he does not have a teaching license. If the deal falls through, they will re-advertise the position.

Not surprising... he was the favorite from the get go. Curious to how long it will take to find out if they have a job for him, not really fair to Roosevelt to drag them along as well as GC either.

It has been confirmed by the Jefferson Newspaper that Mitch Moore will be the next HFC at Roosevelt, meaning that the Greene County job is now open.

Sibley-Ocheyedan

This job was open not very long ago as there was that issue of the coach sleeping at the school with a player, I believe that was around 3 years ago.

Union is officially posted and also North Mahaska which is the second year in a row that job has been posted and 3rd time in 4 years I believe.

We have now turned the corner on holiday break, so I am wondering if there is any movement on any of the open jobs or if any new jobs have come open?

Maquoketa Valley, the job hasn't been posted, but a friend of mine whose kids go there said their coach resigned, and it was in their board minutes so it is true.

Maquoketa Valley, the job hasn't been posted, but a friend of mine whose kids go there said their coach resigned, and it was in their board minutes so it is true.

Who was their Coach? They have struggled since their old coach left and went to Monticello. They used to ahve a stud running back that was a do-it-all player.

His name was Chris Evers, he was the coach at Alburnett and Postville for a while as well, it is a program that has struggled with numbers for a few years, although overall has had some success, the stud you talked about was Ryan Parmely who probably would of been the states all time leading rusher if they wouldn't of been upset by Denver his senior year.

PNation -

What are you hearing on the open jobs in Eastern Iowa like the Union candidates or Tipton for that matter?

How would you rank the jobs that are currently open from best job to worst that are open?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT