ADVERTISEMENT

Championship thoughts: Regina vs Western Christian

VanderHoops

Freshman
Feb 16, 2011
Still no Quickstats, so I'm curious. Who are the Regina players to watch? What can we expect to see?
From watching the semi-finals, taking down their big QB looks like a challenge.
Disciplined defense, size, & great fundamentals looks to be their strong points.

As a Western fan, I have to admit I kind of like being the David instead of the Goliath for once!

QB Stenger is definitely currently the biggest playmaker. Regina's relied more on him since the injury to Nick Phillips, who was the key playmaker. The team has had many injuries this year, but everyone has stepped up. Hunter has been a beast at RB and LB and the OL and DL led by Brinkman have been outstanding.

What's the scouting report on Western Christian?

Did I hear they have a DT that is 6'10"?
Nose Guard, De Groot is a true 6' 10"
Strong kid, & works well with their 3-5 defense (also discourages passes over the midde)
He actually had a pick 6 earlier this season!

6'6" TE that may drop back as part of the nickel package at times as well.

Unconventional we are!

Last edited:
Nose Guard, De Groot is a true 6' 10"
Strong kid, & works well with their 3-5 defense (also discourages passes over the midde)
He actually had a pick 6 earlier this season!

6'6" TE that may drop back as part of the nickel package at times as well.

Unconventional we are!

Some pretty wingspans there.... Running/passing/defensive styles?

Some pretty wingspans there.... Running/passing/defensive styles?

Interesting having private vs. private game here.

Western is a very athletic team. Has multiple weapons on offense. Meidema and Horstman are very good in open space and their sophmore RB is very talented. Early in the season their lines played high and soft, but have seen big improvements since.

On defense they have very good speed to run sideline to sideline and Regina wont outrun them to the edge consistently. Regina should be able to run right at them with some success and with their QB draw/keeper stuff.

I would give the edge to Regina, but not by as much as most people would guess. Western will be the more athletic of the two teams.

Thanks for the analysis. My guess is that Regina will try to keep pounding the ball inside the tackles with a combination of Hunter runs and Stenger keepers, especially since you mentioned the speed on the edges for WC. It will be interesting to see if WC sticks with the 3-5-3 defense mentioned earlier or switch to a 4 man front to get another body on the line of scrimmage. Should be a good game!

I'm thinking that Western's 2 games against 2 of their own district's top teams was the best prep for Regina:
West Lyon:
Traditional powerhouse with great coaching, big, powerful line that lives n the weight room.
They ran a pure power, up the middle game that Western had trouble with the first time & adapted & did much better the second time around.
Hinton:
Dual threat QB and a good running game. Had multiple threats at receiver.
Good athletes on both sides of the ball
West Lyon + Hinton = Regina?

I thought Western played just good enough to win against Van Meter, but it wasn't their best performance of the year.
Hoping that playing the best will bring out their best.

I think that both programs going up a couple classes for non-district games shows they're willing to risk losing to get better.

I think that both programs going up a couple classes for non-district games shows they're willing to risk losing to get better.

Definitely! The problem sometimes arises when those higher class teams refuse to schedule games because it is often a "lose-lose" proposition for them (they win and they were expected to or worse, they lose!). So I commend those higher class teams that are willing to schedule top-tier lower class teams.

What does Regina have for a passing attack? Van Meter was able to move the ball really well through the air against Western and seemed to take advantage of some soft coverages. They did a really good job of killing the blitz using screen plays and Western wasn't able to hurry the QB into bad decisions like I've seen in other games.

Regina has a decent passing attack and does a nice job in both the short passng game as well as going vertical. QB Stenger was an all-state WR last year and will sometimes line up at WR. RB Phillips was the leading receiver before his season- ending injury, but the other receivers have really stepped up.

Regina has a decent passing attack and does a nice job in both the short passng game as well as going vertical. QB Stenger was an all-state WR last year and will sometimes line up at WR. RB Phillips was the leading receiver before his season- ending injury, but the other receivers have really stepped up.

My guess is Regina will try to establish the run and go from there. Wonder if the coaches have some interesting plays mixed in this week.

I will take Regina by 3 touchdowns, I really think that West Branch and Dike were the only two teams with a chance of taking down the Regals, but both had costly mistakes that really hindered their chances. For Western to win it would take a perfect game by the Wolfpack and a couple of mistakes by Regina.

Good analysis, Regina isn't out 'athleticed' very often

Nope, not playing in their 1A district they aren't. That said, this is by far the least athletic Regina team in the past 6 years and maybe the last 10 years. Phillips was the only one with true big play potential. Defense isn't nearly as physical as years past either, especially on the edges. Stenger is a nice player, but I think he's getting too much love. He has a very average arm as they move him to receiver on obvious passing downs when they need more yards. Basically a running back playing QB.

If Western can get their athletes in space to the outside they could give Regina some trouble. I didn't see a great vertical passing game from them last week, however, and Dike-NH was able to beat Regina deep a couple times and had them beat a couple more times, but the passes were dropped. Seems like Regina is weak in pass coverage.

I don't see Western's defense stopping Regina, so to me they will need to keep up with them on the scoreboard. I just don't think they have the firepower to win a shootout. I'll take Regina 35-21

Nope, not playing in their 1A district they aren't. That said, this is by far the least athletic Regina team in the past 6 years and maybe the last 10 years. Phillips was the only one with true big play potential. Defense isn't nearly as physical as years past either, especially on the edges. Stenger is a nice player, but I think he's getting too much love. He has a very average arm as they move him to receiver on obvious passing downs when they need more yards. Basically a running back playing QB.

If Western can get their athletes in space to the outside they could give Regina some trouble. I didn't see a great vertical passing game from them last week, however, and Dike-NH was able to beat Regina deep a couple times and had them beat a couple more times, but the passes were dropped. Seems like Regina is weak in pass coverage.

I don't see Western's defense stopping Regina, so to me they will need to keep up with them on the scoreboard. I just don't think they have the firepower to win a shootout. I'll take Regina 35-21

This is a fair analysis of Regina, the loss of Phillips has definitely impacted what would've have probably otherwise been a cakewalk to a 6th straight title. The pass defense definitely has been suspect. Even though Regina led 1A in intersections this year, they sometimes seem to get beat in single coverage. I have a feeling the Regina coaches will make the necessary adjustments in this game. They were 100% committed to stopping the run (Johnson) in the Dike game. I suspect they will drop back and use a deeper safety in this one.

This is a fair analysis of Regina, the loss of Phillips has definitely impacted what would've have probably otherwise been a cakewalk to a 6th straight title. The pass defense definitely has been suspect. Even though Regina led 1A in intersections this year, they sometimes seem to get beat in single coverage. I have a feeling the Regina coaches will make the necessary adjustments in this game. They were 100% committed to stopping the run (Johnson) in the Dike game. I suspect they will drop back and use a deeper safety in this one.
all the Regals have to do is keep winning the turnover game & it is there trophy & Cid will have to be happy without his $ from WBBF

Hoping the weather forecast doesn't hold.
Western usually travels really well, but I'm afraid a snow storm may keep a few hundred fans at home watching on TV.
Cedar Falls will appreciate that a lot of us are coming up tonight instead be sure we're in the dome for kick off!

all the Regals have to do is keep winning the turnover game & it is there trophy & Cid will have to be happy without his $ from WBBF
Agree that Western has to win the takeaway/giveaway battle.
QB Kooima has immense confidence in his wide-outs in single coverage. An INT won't rattle him as long as he's placing the ball where we can get a hand on it.
Receivers need to do a better job of defending on the underthrown pass if it happens. Several picks this year shouldn't have happened if they'd just take out the DB when necessary.

Side note: Starting QB is the head coaches' little brother, so don't be surprised if you see little more guff than usual between the coach & his 17 y.o. QB on the sidelines.

Watching Western Christian play basketball, i have no doubts about their kids abilities. Well coached. ,disciplined kids carry over into other sports. It should be a great game. Hope both teams stay healthy.

Two of the private schools playing for a state championship?
Nah. That can't happen with no public funding for a school.

Best wishes to all.

Reactions: cyard31
Two of the private schools playing for a state championship?
Nah. That can't happen with no public funding for a school.

Best wishes to all.

Just think of how bad it could be if they got high impact transfers for their senior years, and got paid for it, you know like public schools get.

instead they all pay to be together. Aint free enterprise grand?

And they do it for 5,6,7,10,12 years. Maybe they should start accepting transfers for one year, wait, they did that once and it worked for them, doesn't work for everybody I guess.

instead they all pay to be together. Aint free enterprise grand?

Nothing is stopping you from starting up a Protestant school if you don't think it's fair. In case you weren't aware, those same parents also do pay taxes to support public schools like West Branch, but just continue to bash away...its an easy target.

Yep.
Anyway, back to the game, thoughts on the extra 3 days? It will help both teams recover from the bumps and bruises a bit. Also, gives time to the coaches for extra preparation and game planning. Not sure what it will do to the crowd, some might be able to go that otherwise couldn't, but I suspect the crowd to be smaller overall for both teams compared to what they would have had on Friday.

Yep.
Anyway, back to the game, thoughts on the extra 3 days? It will help both teams recover from the bumps and bruises a bit. Also, gives time to the coaches for extra preparation and game planning. Not sure what it will do to the crowd, some might be able to go that otherwise couldn't, but I suspect the crowd to be smaller overall for both teams compared to what they would have had on Friday.
WBBF, are you going to make any wagers on Phillips playing in this game? I want in on the action :)

..., but I suspect the crowd to be smaller overall for both teams compared to what they would have had on Friday.
I think the Western crowd will definitely be smaller. I'm on my way there right now, & definitely fewer Wolfpack fans on the road.

What's really unfortunate is that the game isn't televised either, so many fans are going from seeing their 1st state championship live, to having to listen on the radio.
I'm guessing the webcast will be one camera with limited graphics.

WBBF, are you going to make any wagers on Phillips playing in this game? I want in on the action :)

The wise guys say he can't wager again until he pays off his first debt and there hasn't been any action on that yet. Cy is that how you do things in WB?

The WC crowd will definitely be thin. I talked to a lot of people that were going to go on Friday that aren't going today. It's just easier to take Friday off than Monday, and having Thanksgiving this week makes it even worse. No TV sucks but oh well, streaming online is better than nothing I guess.
I do feel bad for the kids though. It has to be tough to carry the emotion and energy through the weekend.

The WC crowd will definitely be thin. I talked to a lot of people that were going to go on Friday that aren't going today. It's just easier to take Friday off than Monday, and having Thanksgiving this week makes it even worse. No TV sucks but oh well, streaming online is better than nothing I guess.
I do feel bad for the kids though. It has to be tough to carry the emotion and energy through the weekend.
Did Western have access to an indoor practice facility?

Yeah, they got some time indoors on Saturday night. Indoor space is pretty tough to come by so they had to take what they could get.

Online Stream is REALLY good. Very nicely done IHSSN. Other than name pronunciation but I can overlook that.

That's what happens when other 1A schools go up against Regina...teams can stay with them until the game gets in the later stages. That's the "advantage" Regina has

Regina not getting TV timeouts is hurting them. Look very tired. Lack of depth is hurting them.

Even when we were leading, it still feels like its Regina's game to lose.
Glad to see our boys aren't intimidated & keep battling.

Online Stream is REALLY good. Very nicely done IHSSN. Other than name pronunciation but I can overlook that.
disagree. Announcers did not tell down and distance very often & the score & timer was usually covering the markers

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT