ADVERTISEMENT

3A

Coach'd hits the nail on the head, especially his comments about open enrollment which very few people on this board want to discuss.

Originally posted by BKDevil:

Gotta think Assumption will have Bettendorf and probably Davenport Central on its schedule next year.
The third non district game should be an old MAC foe with solid gate possibilities ala NS or PV.
Cant see Xavier as first year opponent for Knights.
I also thought it was funny that the Gazette writer seems to think Xavier should play both Wahlert and Assumption in non-district play, when there's a bunch of metro Cedar Rapids teams the Saints would much prefer playing. Gotta put all those parochial schools into their own schedule, I guess! Yet he has Wahlert still playing Hempstead and Senior ...

If you read the article, this writer also pleads with the IAHSAA to set up the 4A districts in just the way he likes and go to 24 playoff teams instead of 32 ... neither of which is likely to happen until a very warm place becomes coated with ice. He also asks the state to limit 4A schools to only one non-district game with a team from a smaller class. Is that really necessary? Especially if they give the east a bunch of five-team districts in 4A, which means they'd have FIVE non-district games? Seems like limiting them to just one game against 3A competition is kind of silly, seeing as those games don't count for playoff qualifying anyway.

Maybe that's really no big deal, I dunno.
This post was edited on 12/18 12:21 PM by KidSilverhair

More than likely the state of Iowa will be playing an 8 game regular season schedule next year.

Originally posted by OtherWiseGinger:
Oh please prove me wrong here CRU... Xavier has been 4A since their inception and have a state championship and 2 runner-up finishes. Schulte is something like 100-50 at Xavier vs 4A competition.
To be exact, Schulte is 111-60 over sixteen seasons at Xavier.

However, in the first eight years of Xavier football, the Saints were only 36-38 with two playoff appearances (both losses).

Sports is cyclical. There's no reason to believe the Saints are going to be great forever, just like Regina hasn't been great forever, or Waterloo East hasn't been terrible forever.

Originally posted by o2bahawk:
Coach'd hits the nail on the head, especially his comments about open enrollment which very few people on this board want to discuss.

OE's happen all the time if you are going to punish for OE's that are athlete's are you then going to reward for every OE that is not an athlete? I would bet dollars to doughnuts that those numbers are VASTLY different.

Originally posted by KidSilverhair:

Oh please prove me wrong here CRU... Xavier has been 4A since their inception and have a state championship and 2 runner-up finishes. Schulte is something like 100-50 at Xavier vs 4A competition.
To be exact, Schulte is 111-60 over sixteen seasons at Xavier.

However, in the first eight years of Xavier football, the Saints were only 36-38 with two playoff appearances (both losses).

Sports is cyclical. There's no reason to believe the Saints are going to be great forever, just like Regina hasn't been great forever, or Waterloo East hasn't been terrible forever.
I am confident that Xavier will not go .500 or worse their first 8 years in 3A, more like .900(+) over the next 8 years with only a few losses from Assumption and Heelan with a one-off somewhere along the way (Decorah, Harlan type).

Assumption and Xavier will represent the East for the near future in football with Heelan representing the West as they have since dropping to 3A. Sucks, but just the way it is. Cyclical happens at small schools (such as Solon with Morris' class) much more frequently than larger schools (to include privates within a large metro area). Much like noone thought the Xavier girls would be winning 8 soccer titles in a row...

I don't expect the 3A schools to just lay down and let Xavier walk through, but it will certainly be a daunting task for any public 3A to compete year-in and year-out with Xavier\Assumption.

I think people are underestimating some of the public schools on the eastern side of the state. Coach Miller is not going to sit back and say "it's been a good run fellas, let's play to get to the Semi's. Adjustments will be made, heck are already going on.

Alot of talk about who's moving "down" to 3A.

Who will move "up" to 4A? How many teams do you think will comprise 4A? How many there have been the past 4 years is now irrelevant, because dropping conferences changes the rules.

Will the IHSAA still keep the 700 rule? It was only there to avoid a large school from a non-4A conference remaining in 3A. Without 4A conferences, will they simply cut the line at top 48 like most other sports?

The traditional 3A football schools sitting at positions 46, 47, and 48 are probably pretty nervous.

Originally posted by cidhawkeye:

I think people are underestimating some of the public schools on the eastern side of the state. Coach Miller is not going to sit back and say "it's been a good run fellas, let's play to get to the Semi's. Adjustments will be made, heck are already going on.
As I mentioned there will be the one-offs (Harlan, Decorah, okay throw Solon in there) that get Xavier and Assumption on an off year (let alone beat both in the same year to get to the dome), but those off years will be far and few between (just look at their records in 4A for proof).

Originally posted by WyattEarp1:

Alot of talk about who's moving "down" to 3A.

Who will move "up" to 4A? How many teams do you think will comprise 4A? How many there have been the past 4 years is now irrelevant, because dropping conferences changes the rules.

Will the IHSAA still keep the 700 rule? It was only there to avoid a large school from a non-4A conference remaining in 3A. Without 4A conferences, will they simply cut the line at top 48 like most other sports?

The traditional 3A football schools sitting at positions 46, 47, and 48 are probably pretty nervous.
I've said many times the state should do exactly that - say the top 48 (or whatever number) are 4A, and continue on from there. Heck, it looks like Lewis Central might stay past the 700 BEDS number (they were at 702 last year), but in the discussions about 4A changes some reporter specifically said they weren't moving anybody up, including LC. Maybe that's inaccurate, but if it's true ... what's up with that?

Heck, the definition of 4A in the state manual was never updated when the west went to districts in 2012. It still says members of the CIML and MRAC are automatically 4A ... even though for football purposes, those conferences don't exist. But I gotta wonder what the 700 BEDS number is doing in there if they're just going to ignore it.

By the way, based on last year's BEDS numbers, here's the 3A schools with the highest enrollment (if there is any consideration of rounding out 4A at 48 teams):

[The smallest 4A schools from last year's numbers are North Scott at 713 and Davenport North at 708]

46- Lewis Central (702)
47- Newton (622)
48- Norwalk (605)
49- Western Dubuque (577)
50- Denison-Schleswig (572)

Obviously these numbers will change based on this year's senior class being taken out and the freshmen class added in (BEDS numbers are grades 9-11). I think those official numbers come out in January.

Originally posted by cruhawk:

Originally posted by meandmyshadow:

Originally posted by PNation:
It's going to be really great see Xavier beat its 3A competition 70-0 each game, I am sorry but what a bunch of cowards both at Xavier, and in Boone.
A discussion eerily similar to eight years ago, when Heelan declared for 3A football.
Xavier far superior to Heelan, period.

Heelan was above average in 4A, Xavier has been elite in 4A.

No. Not even close to being true. Re-checking your facts would get you on the right track, though I doubt you'll take that step.
OK. I hate to do this to you, but you did ask for it. Just so you know, this will end any credible discussion on the subject.

1.) Current Heelan head football coach Roger Jansen record in 4A: 58-15 (.794) in a stint that includes 1997, and 2000-2005 seasons.

2.) Current Heelan head football coach Roger Jansen overall record: 145-28 (~.840).

3.) Heelan football all-time record: 480-155 (~.740).

4.) Two 4A state titles (since the inception of the Iowa 4-class system; they had two mythical titles in 1961 & 1971).

5.) Five-time 4A runner-up.

6.) 1996 team ranked #1 throughout season until last game against a nationally-ranked Papillion-LaVista (Neb) team.

7.) 2002 team finished regular season undefeated & ranked #1.

8.) 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005 teams all lost to eventual champs in playoffs. In every case but one, the Heelan game was the closest one said title teams played enroute to championship.

The least controversial solution for the 2014 and 2015 football seasons for the IHSAA, would be to move CBLC up to 4A per their 700 student threshold and then align all new 4A districts with 46 teams....and have 6- 6 team districts and 2-5 team districts . I would be curious to see if Newton wants to move back to 4A ball. They would still have the option of playing 4 to 5 3A teams in the regular season in 4A district play, if they could schedule those games early...might involve playing games in week zero or they could choose to try to schedule some tier #1 4A schools?

I don't think 4A districts are, as of yet, a done deal. If the MVC and MAC want to maintain conferences, they can do so pretty logically and easily. As to getting one less playoff spot...so that is the big deal? 15 out of 21 schools make it into the playoffs in the East and 17 out of 24 make it in the West, and there isn't any reasonable likelihood that those last teams in make it into the quarterfinals or beyond.

One unknown is whether or not the IHSAA will shorten the season to 8 games.

But, given that unknown, the MVC could easily realign to two 6 team divisions and have five games within division, others outside the division (MAC, other MVC division, in-town rivals). The MAC could easily have all teams play each other and, if the regular season remains at nine games would have a game with the MVC or with in-town rivals.

Maintaining the MVC and MAC is a pretty easy schedule if that is what they want to do. It would certainly be more impactful than a 16th playoff spot.

It's going to be really great see Xavier beat its 3A competition 70-0 each game, I am sorry but what a bunch of cowards both at Xavier, and in Boone.
A discussion eerily similar to eight years ago, when Heelan declared for 3A football.

No. Not even close to being true. Re-checking your facts would get you on the right track, though I doubt you'll take that step.
OK. I hate to do this to you, but you did ask for it. Just so you know, this will end any credible discussion on the subject.

1.) Current Heelan head football coach Roger Jansen record in 4A: 58-15 (.794) in a stint that includes 1997, and 2000-2005 seasons.

2.) Current Heelan head football coach Roger Jansen overall record: 145-28 (~.840).

4.) Two 4A state titles (since the inception of the Iowa 4-class system; they had two mythical titles in 1961 & 1971).

6.) 1996 team ranked #1 throughout season until last game against a nationally-ranked Papillion-LaVista (Neb) team.

8.) 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005 teams all lost to eventual champs in playoffs. In every case but one, the Heelan game was the closest one said title teams played enroute to championship.
No reason to hate... Thanks for the history on Heelan. With that said, why with all the success in 4A did Heelan drop to 3A?

Letter From

Xavier's Principal and Activities Director

Xavier's Decision To Compete in Football At Our Enrollment Classification

Xavier High School has made the decision to compete in football at our enrollment classification (3A) beginning with the 2014-15 school year. Several factors led to this decision.

For sixteen years Xavier has competed one class above its enrollment classification because we are a member of the Mississippi Valley Conference (MVC), a conference with predominantly 4A schools, except for Xavier and Wahlert Catholic. Since the Iowa High School Athletic Association football playoff system required schools who play a 4A football schedule to play in the 4A playoffs, that is where we competed. It is important to note that even when some of our other sports were "officially" 4A (2008-09 through 2012-13), our enrollment (below 700 students in grades 10-12) was at the Class 3A football level, yet we were competing in 4A.

For the sixteen years Xavier has been a member of the MVC, the only way to play Class 3A football would have been to leave the conference. Since we value our membership with the MVC and the relationships with schools in the MVC, we chose to not consider that option.

Following this year's football season, Wahlert Catholic requested and was granted, permission by the MVC to remain a member of the MVC without playing conference football. Davenport Assumption, a member of the Mississippi Athletic Conference (MAC) requested and was granted similar permission from their conference. As a result, both Wahlert Catholic and Davenport Assumption have made the decision to play at their enrollment classification - Class 3A.

With the decisions of Wahlert Catholic and Davenport Assumption to compete in Class 3A football, should Xavier decide to continue to compete in Class 4A football, we would be the only school in the state to play above our enrollment classification. In fact, only a handful of schools play above their enrollment class in any sport.

Now that we have the opportunity to compete at our enrollment classification, if we continue to compete above that classification in football, we would be asking our football team to do something we don't ask of any other team in our athletic program. (Boy's golf is an exception since we play in the fall season as part of the MVC).

Once the possibility of playing football at our own enrollment classification became an option and once we realized we would be the only Class 3A size school playing Class 4A football, we:

Attended the joint MVC/MAC meeting discussing the future of Class 4A football in eastern Iowa.Held discussion with our coaches and informal conversations with athletes, parents and other constituents.Reviewed our enrollment projections for the next ten years.Reviewed our youth football participation numbers, Reviewed our program success.

The results of our discussion and research led to the following:

Conference football in the MVC will at the very least undergo a change with the exit of Wahlert Catholic from the schedule. It is also quite possible that 4A football in eastern Iowa will move away from conference schedules and toward districts no matter what decision we made.

Our community opinion is more in favor of competing at our enrollment classification than competing above it.Our enrollment will slightly decrease in the next five years.

Our youth participation numbers have declined 30% in the past two years. This is a combination of lower enrollment numbers in elementary schools and fewer students electing to play football.

Other than 2006, 2012 and 2013 (exceptional years by anyone's standards):

Xavier's football record is 73-56. Xavier has qualified for the playoffs 7 of 13 years and was defeated in the first round of the playoffs 5 of those 7 years.

Xavier advanced to the semi-finals once and quarter-finals once in the other two years it qualified for the playoffs.It is our desire to continue competing against Cedar Rapids metro area schools in non-district games as the schedule allows. We value our relationships and our rivalries with Kennedy, Linn-Mar, Washington, Jefferson and Prairie.

Considering all of the information above, we believe that Xavier High School should, as all other schools in the state do, play football at its enrollment classification. Like many other schools, we will miss the rich tradition and the outstanding competition of the MVC. However, we look forward to the transition as well as the challenges and opportunities that lie ahead.

Sincerely,

Tom Keating Mike Winker

Principal Activities Director

Sounds like a "Notre Dame'ism" We will pick and choose where our sports will play at based upon our ability to win, titles.
This post was edited on 12/19 12:58 PM by OtherWiseGinger

So instead of looking at the facts you decide to make a flawed comparison. I guess that works, for you at least.

No reason to hate... Thanks for the history on Heelan. With that said, why with all the success in 4A did Heelan drop to 3A?
That is a question for the ages. Most alums (the vast majority) didn't agree with the decision. It was driven primarily by administrators at the time. I would guess that Xavier, Assumption, and Wahlert are doing it for similar reasons (ie, they want an easier path to a football title).

IMHO, and in a twist of irony, the Heelan teams that took 3A titles in '08 & '13 would have had a good shot to take the 4A title in those respective years (esp the '08 team). And they had teams in '09 & '11 that were on that level as well.

For the record, 3A is no cakewalk. Heelan has found that, if you want a title, you have to bring your "A" game in the post-season. If you don't, every once in awhile a team like Decorah or Solon will rise up & take you out.

Scheduling. Heelan used to be in the SIC with the Sioux Falls schools. The SD schools pulled out. They then formed a conference with the Council Bluffs schools. There were also issues with available teams to play when that Des Moines Metro conference was established way back when. Basically, Boone absolutely neglected the 4A schools in western Iowa. Just look at how "district' play works for the Sioux City public schools now. Heelan got fed up with it and moved down to 3A for more stability and normalcy in scheduling.

Most Heelan alums, myself included, from the 4A days still don't like the move to 3A and wait for the day when we move back up to 4A. Example: a buddy of mine I graduated with lives in Minneapolis. I mentioned to him how Heelan won the state 3A fooball title this year. His response, "Great. Let me know when they move back to 4A."

Originally posted by SoDakHawk:

Scheduling. Heelan used to be in the SIC with the Sioux Falls schools. The SD schools pulled out. They then formed a conference with the Council Bluffs schools. There were also issues with available teams to play when that Des Moines Metro conference was established way back when. Basically, Boone absolutely neglected the 4A schools in western Iowa. Just look at how "district' play works for the Sioux City public schools now. Heelan got fed up with it and moved down to 3A for more stability and normalcy in scheduling.

Most Heelan alums, myself included, from the 4A days still don't like the move to 3A and wait for the day when we move back up to 4A. Example: a buddy of mine I graduated with lives in Minneapolis. I mentioned to him how Heelan won the state 3A fooball title this year. His response, "Great. Let me know when they move back to 4A."
With the inevitable run at title's I don't see Heelan\Xavier\Assumption opting back up anytime soon.

Sounds like a "Notre Dame'ism" We will pick and choose where our sports will play at based upon our ability to win, titles.
What the heck you talkin' about? The only choice any school has is to play ABOVE their enrollment classification ... you aren't allowed to play DOWN to "win, titles." Iowa City High can't just choose to play 2A so they can get the hardware.

Xavier has been playing ABOVE their enrollment classification since the school opened in 1998. They did that because that's the only way they could be full members of the MVC, and conference membership was important enough to them that they agreed to do that.

The conference has agreed to let its members play at their appropriate enrollment class, while still remaining MVC members in other sports. That's what's changed. That's what permitted this ... if the MVC said, "You can't stay unless you're 4A," Xavier would almost certainly still be playing 4A. But they didn't say that, they said the opposite.

Plus, it sounds like the MVC (and MAC) aren't going to exist for football anyway, as it looks like 4A will be going to districts. Why demand that Xavier, a 3A school in every sense of the word, must continue to play a 4A district schedule when there is no longer the benefit of MVC membership?

Not to mention, assuming Xavier (and maybe Assumption) is going to romp through 3A for the foreseeable future shows incredible disrespect for the current members of 3A. You think Solon or Decorah or Pella are just going to give up and settle for runner-up status? It's all about coaches and players, and there are plenty of schools that have good coaches and good players, regardless of their size.

I give up. You guys believe what you want. I just can't wrap my head around the idea that it's "cheating" to play in the class your enrollment puts you in. If you don't like the classification rules, take it up with Boone. It's not Xavier's problem.

I think there has been enough out cry that Boone is going to look at this, for the 1st time the boys in Boone have agreed to look at the idea of using a multiplier for parochial schools. This obviously won't be in place for this season but in 2016 Xavier could be back in 4A.

For the record, saying no one else plays up is not correct. It may be true at the 4A/3A level. But for the last 2 years, Clarinda Academy played up to 2A (from A or 1A, not sure). Their reasoning was for travel. There are not many teams in that part of the state in their real classification. Simply to cut travel, they asked to play in 2A, where there are a lot more schools close by.

How come nobody makes a big deal about Xavier's girls soccer team winning state 8 years in a row in their appropriate class? I also don't see anybody being appalled at the fact that Xavier's basketball team is in 3A this year? Shouldn't they be considered playing down a class also? Oh wait they are not because they are playing in the class appropriate for their enrollment size!!! This is exactly what Xavier's football team will now be doing and nothing more. Xavier's past two senior classes have been remarkable. However, Xavier's upcoming classes will not be like them and deserve the chance to compete in their appropriate enrollment classification and let the chips fall where they may.

I don't think it's a matter or cheating. I think it's the idea that a school is successful enough to play at a higher level, but chooses to, perceivably because they want to ensure themselves more trophies. Like playing a D-1 football schedule and being successful, then playing in the D-II playoffs. (And no, I am not suggesting that the private schools are going to play a 4a schedule. I know how districts work.) So rather than play in the class that their talent level seemingly fits, they are choosing the "easier path" while most other schools must scratch and claw to have a sniff at the semis.

Well, that just doesn't make any sense. The college comparison doesn't fit, because the requirements and obligations of D-1 and D-2 are different (budgeting, scholarship numbers, even stadium seating).

As for playing to your talent level, you might as well say Decorah should have played 4A this season. Hey, they went undefeated in 2012 and hammered Heelan in the title game, obviously their talent level is too good for 3A! Or what about Harlan's undefeated run between 2003-05? Move 'em up, they're just too talented! Or hey, let's have Cedar Rapids Jefferson and Waterloo East play in 3A, since they're apparently not at the 4A talent level.

Unless you want to go with a relegation system like European soccer, schools are going to be grouped by size, not talent. Perhaps you can tweak how you determine size, but to say a school has to play at their perceived "talent" level just doesn't make sense.

This post was edited on 12/20 6:14 AM by KidSilverhair

KidSilverHair- I already said that the D-1 to D-II comparison wasn't perfect...but you don't read so that's fine. Like I said, it's the fact that a team played UP and proved they had 4A talent enough to win titles, but want to drop down. The Decorah and Harlan references don't apply. I didn't say move competition levels up because of success. I said why prove successful at a higher level and drop down to a lower one?

The reason nobody really makes a big deal about Xavier's 8 girls soccer titles, is that no one really cares about soccer.

Originally posted by La_Fleur:
How come nobody makes a big deal about Xavier's girls soccer team winning state 8 years in a row in their appropriate class? I also don't see anybody being appalled at the fact that Xavier's basketball team is in 3A this year? Shouldn't they be considered playing down a class also? Oh wait they are not because they are playing in the class appropriate for their enrollment size!!! This is exactly what Xavier's football team will now be doing and nothing more. Xavier's past two senior classes have been remarkable. However, Xavier's upcoming classes will not be like them and deserve the chance to compete in their appropriate enrollment classification and let the chips fall where they may.

Girls soccer should play 3A, they play in a 3A conference all year and then drop to 2A for the tourney... So their regular season is against the states top programs, then they drop to a lower class that on the norm will have less depth, less talent and less exposure to elite teams.

Go to the basketball forum - folks have already said Xavier and Wahlert will be two top teams... Xavier IS playing down a class in basketball when it comes to the tournament - after playing 4A teams all season, they drop to 3A class teams for the tourney run. Why not just play in the class you played your regular season in?

With you stating "their past two senior classes were remakrable but the ones coming aren't" doesn't really add credibility, all that does it make it look like Xavier said "our 4A talent is diminished after the 2014 class, let's drop to 3A while we have the chance".

Well, that just doesn't make any sense. The college comparison doesn't fit, because the requirements and obligations of D-1 and D-2 are different (budgeting, scholarship numbers, even stadium seating).

As for playing to your talent level, you might as well say Decorah should have played 4A this season. Hey, they went undefeated in 2012 and hammered Heelan in the title game, obviously their talent level is too good for 3A! Or what about Harlan's undefeated run between 2003-05? Move 'em up, they're just too talented! Or hey, let's have Cedar Rapids Jefferson and Waterloo East play in 3A, since they're apparently not at the 4A talent level.

Unless you want to go with a relegation system like European soccer, schools are going to be grouped by size, not talent. Perhaps you can tweak how you determine size, but to say a school has to play at their perceived "talent" level just doesn't make sense.

This post was edited on 12/20 6:14 AM by KidSilverhair
He was essentially saying that there is a special, inherent distinction/advantage that parochial schools in large metro areas have over their small-town 3A public school competition. It's a distinction that explains the consistent difference in talent. So Decorah's '12 run to the title, and even Harlan's earlier success, don't really apply to the conversation, at least not as you have stated.

The reasons that schools like Heelan, Assumption, and Xavier have the talent--and resultant success--they do is very different than the reasons Harlan, Decorah, or Solon have success. Those public schools--as good as they've been--don't have any special built in mechanisms that their competition can never have. Decorah and Harlan are small towns just like Mt Pleasant and Anamosa. There isn't something in the air or water that make them more likely to be successful than any other town their size. They've just worked harder, built the program up, and have a culture of expecting success. But large city parochial schools have access to a different kind of athlete than the small town schools do. So it IS an inherent advantage based on their location. Small town football programs--even good ones like the aforementioned--are much more subject to variations in talent from year to year. Those are limitations inherent to being located in a relatively small, isolated area. But schools like Heelan, Xavier, and Assumption each have access to population centers from 140,000 to well over 250,000 people. In addition to having access to a different level of athlete, they are basically without competition because they're the only schools of their type in their respective metropolitan areas (unless you count Rock Island Alleman as competition for Assumption). They can and should be much more consistent from year to year. For a large city parochial school, enrollment numbers have little relationship to their success. That explains why a school like Assumption, with an enrollment that is barely at a 3A level, can beat up on football teams from public schools eight times their size. It also explains why Heelan can have the success they had in 4A even though they haven't been a true 4A school since the early 80's. Adminstrators in schools that cited enrollment numbers as reasons why they (finally) elected to play football against teams "in their enrollment class" are being disingenuous about their motives & goals. They adopt the "losers limp" excuse about enrollment numbers being a reason why they "can't compete" with the 4A "big boys" any longer when the truth is that they would consistently thump 90% of the 4A publics, and would consistently be in the top five or ten teams in 4A. And, of course, they could take 4A titles like Xavier did in '06 or Heelan could have with 3A teams they've had in at least a couple of years in the last six or so.
This post was edited on 12/20 3:13 PM by cruhawk

What the heck you talkin' about? The only choice any school has is to play ABOVE their enrollment classification ... you aren't allowed to play DOWN to "win, titles." Iowa City High can't just choose to play 2A so they can get the hardware.

Xavier has been playing ABOVE their enrollment classification since the school opened in 1998. They did that because that's the only way they could be full members of the MVC, and conference membership was important enough to them that they agreed to do that.

The conference has agreed to let its members play at their appropriate enrollment class, while still remaining MVC members in other sports. That's what's changed. That's what permitted this ... if the MVC said, "You can't stay unless you're 4A," Xavier would almost certainly still be playing 4A. But they didn't say that, they said the opposite.

Plus, it sounds like the MVC (and MAC) aren't going to exist for football anyway, as it looks like 4A will be going to districts. Why demand that Xavier, a 3A school in every sense of the word, must continue to play a 4A district schedule when there is no longer the benefit of MVC membership?

Not to mention, assuming Xavier (and maybe Assumption) is going to romp through 3A for the foreseeable future shows incredible disrespect for the current members of 3A. You think Solon or Decorah or Pella are just going to give up and settle for runner-up status? It's all about coaches and players, and there are plenty of schools that have good coaches and good players, regardless of their size.

I give up. You guys believe what you want. I just can't wrap my head around the idea that it's "cheating" to play in the class your enrollment puts you in. If you don't like the classification rules, take it up with Boone. It's not Xavier's problem.

It must be you don't read well - I was very specific in a previous post about 3A not rolling over:

I don't expect the 3A schools to just lay down and let Xavier walk through, but it will certainly be a daunting task for any public 3A to compete year-in and year-out with Xavier\Assumption.

If playing in the MVC was so special to Xavier, why take the option to go 3A then? Why not continue to play with the big boys?
Schulte has amassed a 100-57 mark in 16 years at Xavier. Add four years at Cedar Rapids LaSalle, and he is 125-71 overall.

"You know, a couple people came up to me on the way home and congratulated me, and it's not just me," Schulte said. "It's the whole staff, and it's the players we've been able to coach. It's not a one-guy deal.

"The thing that makes this special … the success we've had, it's come against Class 4A schools, at such a high level."

Is Xavier now claiming that they no longer have the athletes to compete at such a high level?

hey guys. since everyone is talkinn bout heelen wut about the underdogs. BH/RV beat them once. Wut are the chances it happens again? I'd like to know since i'm a big fan of BH/RV! Could someone give me info on other teams than heelan?

For 3A I think you have to look at some traditional powers and some new comers:

Xavier, Assumption and Wahlert have dropped from 4A to 3A. The first two should win their districts and face each other to get to the championship game. Assumption will not have a test in their district.

Solon, Decorah, Harlan should make some noise with Solon placing 2nd in their district to Xavier and Decorah will win their district and Harlan will battle DCG for D8.

BHRV should place 2-3 in D1 with Heelan reping the West at the dome.

Grinnell, Pella, Washington - Washington lost a lot from last years Runner-up. Grinnell and Pella should win their districts.

Don't count Washington out just yet. They have their starting quarterback, center and All-State O-lineman coming back, plus their new coach who continues the legacy of Coach Randy Schrader. Great receivers and running backs are ready to take over where the graduating players left off. Should be fun to see how it all turns out

lewis central will probabaly be 3a soon again...they have a projected 20% decline in enrollement for the next 5 years...

lewis central- 2013-2014 enrollment----3113
projected-2018-19 enrollment----2413

change- -21.9%

Projected Enrollment
School 2013-2014* Projected 2018-’19** Change
Atlantic ................1,483 ...................1,499 .................+1.1%
AHST .....................597 ......................531 ................ -11.1%
Carroll .................1,672 ...................1,719 .................+2.8%
Clarinda .................991 ......................937 ..................-5.4%
Creston ...............1,541 ...................1,513 ..................-1.7%
Denison ..............2,217 ...................2,187 ..................-1.4%
Exira-EHK ..............425 ......................349 ................-17.9%
Glenwood ...........1,960 ...................1,675 ................-14.5%
Harlan .......... 1,563 ...............1,411 ..............-9.7%
IKM-Manning .........649 ......................604 ..................-6.9%
Lewis Central ......3,113 ...................2,432 ................-21.9%
Red Oak .............1,161 ...................1,094 ..................-5.8%
Shenandoah .......1,010 ......................906 ................-10.3%
* Enrollment numbers for 2013-2014 reported by schools
** Projections made by the Iowa Department of Education
This post was edited on 8/9 3:41 PM by ronsss

ron i believe those numbers are for all schools in the district. does sports qualification take into account the total number or just the high school?

Originally posted by oonfoofoo:
ron i believe those numbers are for all schools in the district. does sports qualification take into account the total number or just the high school?
BEDS only uses 3 HS grades (9-11 I believe) to come up with their count.

I find it very hard to believe that Council Bluffs and Glenwood would drop off that much. There is so much building going on and people moving east out of Omaha......Hmmm

I don't think it's really fair that Lewis Central plays 3A all year and then goes up for playoffs but it is what it is. It has got to be hard to adjust to the level of competition is some cases.....not saying all but there is a jump in quite a few schools in competition level when you go from 3A to 4A. It may not be that way every year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT