screwloose

Varsity
Sep 27, 2002
Heard it here first.

Sioux City Heelan @ Harlan
Glenwood @ Sergeant Bluff-Luton

Carlisle @ Dallas Center-Grimes
Oskaloosa @ Pella

Webster City @ Waverly-Shell Rock (not totally sure how home field is determined between two 2s)
Decorah @ West Delaware

Davenport Assumption @ Solon
Washington @ Cedar Rapids Xavier

Reactions: Drewolson24
Webster City lost to Boone, so now we have a three way tie for second in that district. It looks to me like Ballard will have the highest point diff, so I think you could just put in Ballard for Webster City and it looks pretty good to me.

I saw the score both ways, 27-14 for Boone and Webster City. Even with the loss, Webster City would end at a +48, Ballard a +48 and Boone a +47, with them all beating each other once. Points would eliminate Boone and Webster City beat Ballard head-to-head, as the last two involved in the tiebreaker.

next year will be 32 teams? dang,,,this season went fast, it feels like it just started. i am sitting here wondering how the season went lighting fast.. thanks screwloose, interesting

I saw the score both ways, 27-14 for Boone and Webster City. Even with the loss, Webster City would end at a +48, Ballard a +48 and Boone a +47, with them all beating each other once. Points would eliminate Boone and Webster City beat Ballard head-to-head, as the last two involved in the tiebreaker.

WHO had someone at Boone, Webster City win.

Webster City lost to Boone, so now we have a three way tie for second in that district. It looks to me like Ballard will have the highest point diff, so I think you could just put in Ballard for Webster City and it looks pretty good to me.
Webster City won 27-14?

I think you bracket like so:

Webster City at Waverly-Shell Rock
Decorah at West Delaware
----------
Washington at Xavier
Assumption at Solon
----------
----------
Glenwood at SBL
Heelan at Harlan
----------
Carlisle at DCG
Oskaloosa at Pella

This sets up potential second-round matchups of WSR/Webster City winner at West Delaware, Xavier at Solon, SBL at Harlan, and DCG at Pella.

They MIGHT bracket Webster City-WSR with Carlisle-DCG, and then put Osky-Pella with Washington-Xavier. Either way makes sense, I guess. That could give us Xavier at Pella in the second round, with DCG getting the WSR/Webster City winner and West Delaware at Solon.

Last edited:
And just to clarify everything - there was only one tie to break among all the district champs and runners up, that one in D-4 where both West Delaware and Assumption finished 6-1 in the district. West Delaware takes the title with their head-to-head win over Assumption.

All the 5-2 teams eligible for wild card consideration were:
  • Decorah - 9.57
  • Oskaloosa - 8.43
  • Ballard - 8.29
  • Wahlert - 7.29
  • Norwalk - 6.43
  • Marion - eliminated due to their loss to Wahlert
  • Winterset - eliminated due to their loss to Norwalk
Ballard missed tying Oskaloosa (and thereby taking the wild card by this year's alphabetical rule) by one point in the scoring margin. Oskaloosa had a 59-point edge, while Ballard was at 58. Both teams had four wins of 17+ and one loss of 17+; Oskaloosa lost to Washington by 9, while Ballard lost to Webster City by 10. That was the difference.

Reactions: FarmFam
It's interesting that Decorah and Waverly Shell Rock both lost their district but could have the "easier" path to the dome by avoiding Solon and Xavier due to geography

calpreps``````
harlan , sbl, dcg, pella, decorah, waverly shell-rock, solon, xavier

predicted first round winnners....you agree?

Last edited:
calpreps``````
harlan , sbl, dcg, pella, decorah, waverly shell-rock, solon, xavier

predicted first round winnners....you agree?
These are not the correct pairings. Decorah is matched with Solon. West Delaware plays Waverly. Xavier plays Oskaloosa and Webster city is paired with Pella. The correct pairings are posted at the Iowa Highschool Athletic association website.

The IHSAA sure tossed a big ol' monkey wrench into what we were all thinking, didn't they?

Official brackets are:
  • Glenwood at SBL (had that one, a no-brainer)
  • Heelan at Harlan (yep, two for two)

• Carlisle at DCG (hey, had that one, too!)
  • Webster City at Pella (hmm, okay, that's a bit of a reach)

• Waverly-Shell Rock at West Delaware (but, what about Decorah?)
  • Decorah at Solon (Huh? What the ...)

• Oskaloosa at Xavier (not so bad, wild card at champion ...)
  • Washington at Assumption (I give up)

Decorah goes right past Manchester on their way to Solon; Assumption gets a home game; Webster City gets clearly forced into the west side. These brackets, at least on the east, seem clearly designed to give the wild cards the most unfavorable matchups, which also splits Xavier & Solon until a possible semifinal in the Dome. Xavier and Solon both get two home games, if they win Friday.

Meanwhile, on the west side, the potential second round has 9-0 SBL at 9-0 Harlan, and 8-1 Pella at 9-0 DCG. I guess there's really no way around those quarterfinal possibilities, in any event - with both wild cards slotted in the east, the west champions end up with tougher roads to Cedar Falls.

I'm surprised the state went more strongly toward seeding, particularly with "punishing" the wild cards, than keeping travel minimized. These are really interesting brackets, especially for potential semifinals, so it's not bad, per se. Just unexpected.

Ok I am going with my head and not my heart and picking Harlan to come out of the west. Sorry Crusaders, I will be routing for you just not sure we can take down Harlan this year

Ok I am going with my head and not my heart and picking Harlan to come out of the west. Sorry Crusaders, I will be routing for you just not sure we can take down Harlan this year. Also we all better keep a close eye on SBL they have the team to make a very deep run.

Oops. Yeah, missed that.

Going by seeding, second round (with projected records by that point) looks like:
  • SBL (10-0) at Harlan (9-1)
  • Pella (9-1) at DC-G (10-0) - hey, a rematch of Pella's only loss in about 174-some games!
  • Assumption (8-2) at Xavier (10-0)
  • West Delaware (8-2) at Solon (10-0)
Just at a glance, those west-side matchups look more rugged than the east side ... but you've still got to play on the field, and second-round games are going to be tough for everybody (Xavier still remembers a 5-5 Decorah team knocking off an undefeated Saints squad a couple of years ago).

Perhaps the Russians hacked the system?

Ha! Maybe! Those troll hackers have their fingers in everything ...

I'm not criticizing the state for these brackets. From a competition standpoint, they're actually pretty good. They probably didn't want to have a Xavier-Pella or Xavier-Solon or Pella-Solon matchup for the second round, and they found a way to avoid that, while also giving the wild card teams a considerably harder road. But, none those considerations are listed in the post-season manual. Travel has always seemed to trump seeding in the past, for the most part. For us bracket guessers out here, it's like they used criteria that was hidden from us. That's fine and all - but if the goal is to match wild cards with the highest-seeded district champs possible, maybe they should write that down and give the rest of us a clue.

Like our predicted brackets actually mean anything in this crazy world. :) It's all for fun, I have a blast messing around with it, so no worries. What the state came up with, while not exactly compact for travel purposes, is a pretty good bracket seeding-wise.

Ok I am going with my head and not my heart and picking Harlan to come out of the west. Sorry Crusaders, I will be routing for you just not sure we can take down Harlan this year

Good that Heelan got in, but unless the coaches make some serious changes to how they manage the offense, it'll be a short run.

yea, heelan can count their lucky stars to even be in the big dance.. i just wonder what happen to spencer, they were probably a heavy favorite to win against a average algona team. d1 had some quality teams from top to bottom this year, i was impressed, easy to loose in d1 .

Last edited:
yea, heelan can count their lucky stars to even be in the big dance.. i just wonder what happen to spencer, they were probably a heavy favorite to win against a average algona team. d1 had some quality teams from top to bottom this year, i was impressed, easy to loose in d1 .

Not really shocked that Algona beat Spencer, who was pretty average themselves, and were playing with house money. Heelan underperformed again Friday, but might have gotten in anyway as a wildcard, given how some other games around the state turned out.

One thing is for sure, after watching hs football this fall. ...these days, just about anyone can beat.... just about anyone.

Not really shocked that Algona beat Spencer, who was pretty average themselves, and were playing with house money. Heelan underperformed again Friday, but might have gotten in anyway as a wildcard, given how some other games around the state turned out.

One thing is for sure, after watching hs football this fall. ...these days, just about anyone can beat.... just about anyone.

Heelan would not have gotten in as a wildcard had Spencer won.

Average Point Differential
Decorah 9.57
Oskaloosa 8.43
Ballard 8.29
Wahlert 7.29
Heelan 7.00

Heelan would have been the 5th pick for a wildcard. If Winterset had not lost to Norwalk in non-district play, eliminating them from wildcard contention, then Heelan would have been the 6th pick. Winterset's average point differential was 7.14.

i suspect heelan fans were spoiled when roger jansen coach there for 16 yr, and compiled an impressive record, 157-31..he was the all-time coaching victory leader in sioux city prep football history...i personally was glad to see him go to the college ranks, he was a thorn in the side to many opponents....my desk draw has 4 dvd,s between the crusaders and cyclones when they started playing each other and jansen was coach.. they were great games, and i still pull them out and watch them now and then

Last edited:
What gets old is all of the Heelan fans and their constant bashing of the coaches. We all have heard loud and clear you think you have the best team in the State and if you just had a smarter coach you would win it all. Stop complaining about the coach. You have a good team. You are in the playoffs. Jerry Steffen is a good coach and a good person. He deserves better than your arrogant insults at him week after week. Grow up!

Maybe you should either 1.) Not post on things you don't know anything about or, better yet, 2.) Ignore the post if you don't like it.

And follow your own advice about "growing up".

I saw that Saybein Clark left the game Friday night with an injury. I wonder if he will be able to play against Harlan? Without him does Heelan have a chance??

i suspect heelan fans were spoiled when roger jansen coach there for 16 yr, and compiled an impressive record, 157-31..he was the all-time coaching victory leader in sioux city prep football history...i personally was glad to see him go to the college ranks, he was a thorn in the side to many opponents....my desk draw has 4 dvd,s between the crusaders and cyclones when they started playing each other and jansen was coach.. they were great games, and i still pull them out and watch them now and then

Jansen was a good but not great coach....not the only--or even main--reason Heelan went 157-31 in his time there. He's the all time SC prep leader in victories, but he was there for 15 years. ...by far the longest tenure in Heelan history.

I just Googled - Roger Jansen - football, here's one of the over 300,000 links that came up. This one is from the Sioux City Journal, dated March 12, 2015 -
If anyone deserves the moniker of Bishop Heelan’s Mr. Football, it’s Roger Jansen.

He graduated from Heelan in 1981 and played tackle on a 1980 Crusader team that finished 7-3.

While attending Morningside College, he began serving as a volunteer assistant at Heelan. Jansen took over as interim head coach in 1997, replacing Joe Malsam, who took an administrative post at the school.

Malsam returned for two seasons before Jansen became head coach in 2000. In 16 seasons, he compiled a 157-31 overall record, rising to the top of the all-time metro coaching wins list.

He guided the Crusaders to Iowa Class 3A state championships in 2008 and 2013 and his teams were also runners-up in 2007, 2010, 2012 and 2014.

In somewhat of a shocking development, the 51-year-old Jansen announced on Thursday that he is stepping down to accept a position as defensive line coach at Morningside College.

“I’ve always preached to the kids that you have dreams and you have goals,” Jansen said. “It’s not too often you have a chance to turn a dream into a reality. You have to practice what you preach.

“I have no regrets. I’m walking away on my own terms and there’s a lot of times in this profession that doesn’t get to happen. Heelan is going to be perfectly fine without me. It’s one of those deals I couldn’t pass up because you never know if that opportunity would come up again.”

Jansen will join a highly successful Morningside College program that has advanced to at least the semifinals of the NAIA Championship Series each of the last three seasons, including the 2012 national championship game.

The Mustangs have won four consecutive Great Plains Athletic Conference championships and have a 112-23 record (.830 winning percentage) since the start of the 2004 season.

“We’re excited about having Roger and what he can bring to our football program,” Morningside Coach Steve Ryan said. “He’s a very successful, quality football coach.”

Jansen said a move to the college ranks is something he’s been thinking about.

“There’s only a couple things that would have taken me away from Heelan and obviously this was one,” said Jansen, a 1985 Morningside graduate. “A lot of people are probably scratching their heads over this, but I’ve always had respect for Steve and his program.

“I had to talk it over with some people to make sure it was all right with them, but I just thought it was an opportunity I couldn’t turn down. I’m ready to move on and start a new chapter.”

Ryan had a couple of openings on his staff and offered Jansen a job on Wednesday morning. He informed Heelan of the offer and wound up accepting by the end of the day.

“When you think of Heelan High School you think of Roger Jansen,” Heelan activities director Jason Pratt said. “He coached when I was playing and now I see it from the other side being in charge of all the coaches. He’s going to be sorely missed. I’m disappointed from Heelan’s standpoint but I’m excited for him. He’s a great coach and a better person.”

Pratt said the job opening has already been posted. With the presence of social media, he was already receiving calls early Thursday morning.

“We’re going to wait and find a quality person to take over, whether it’s somebody already in the system or outside,” Pratt said. “I don’t have a timetable. We just want to do it right and get the person to lead this program for hopefully another 30-plus years just like he did.”

Jansen’s 2008 and 2013 squads each finished with 14-0 records. He was The Journal's 2002 Siouxland Football Coach of the Year.

“I met with the players today during the last period of school and that was tough, but they understand,” Jansen said. “I just tried to hammer the point home to them that they’re going to be all right. It’s about the players and they’re going to find a very good person to keep it going.”

He did a good job, and was part of the program long before he became head coach....around 30 years if my math is right. His overall record was helped by the fact that Heelan was a 4A level program playing in 3A (like CR Xavier or Davenport Assumption) for 10 of his years. They compiled a 94-15 record with appearances in the 3A title game six of those years. During Heelan's final five years playing in 4A, he compiled a 37-16 record. Still not shabby.

I would prefer to hear it
I'll let you fill in those blanks.

Don’t spoil my entertainment… I would prefer to hear it from you or another Heelan fan. Lately I look forward to reading the comical posts on here by the Crusader faithful that still truly believe Heelan is good.

Here are the blanks that I will fill in for you:

Heelan is lucky to have gotten into the playoffs. There are 5 teams that deserved it more than Heelan, but Spencer (a team that beat Heelan) got beat by Algona who is 4-5 and 2-5 in District 1. Heelan, a bad team relative to 3A football, hit a little bit of luck and now gets to represent their bad district. It’s just like last year when Storm Lake and SB-L represented that same bad district.

Storm Lake lost 44-22 first round to Glenwood from D7. SB-L lost 34-14 first round to Carroll from D7.

Without the bad team that already beat Heelan (Spencer) getting upset by the other bad team from D1 (Algona) last Friday night, Heelan would be at home for the 2nd consecutive year of playoffs while their bad district (District 1) gets beaten out by better football teams. Sure, Heelan was a “4A level program”, I completely agree with you there; but they’re a bottom of 3A level program right now. Not because that's my opinion, but because what the results have shown for two years now. Not one person on IAPreps other than your Sioux City neighbor, on his computer posting other Heelan superlatives, cares about Roger Jansen's career or the history of Heelan football.

Don’t spoil my entertainment… I would prefer to hear it from you or another Heelan fan. Lately I look forward to reading the comical posts on here by the Crusader faithful that still truly believe Heelan is good.

Heelan is lucky to have gotten into the playoffs. There are 5 teams that deserved it more than Heelan, but Spencer (a team that beat Heelan) got beat by Algona who is 4-5 and 2-5 in District 1. Heelan, a bad team relative to 3A football, hit a little bit of luck and now gets to represent their bad district. It’s just like last year when Storm Lake and SB-L represented that same bad district.

Storm Lake lost 44-22 first round to Glenwood from D7. SB-L lost 34-14 first round to Carroll from D7.

Without the bad team that already beat Heelan (Spencer) getting upset by the other bad team from D1 (Algona) last Friday night, Heelan would be at home for the 2nd consecutive year of playoffs while their bad district (District 1) gets beaten out by better football teams. Sure, Heelan was a “4A level program”, I completely agree with you there; but they’re a bottom of 3A level program right now. Not because that's my opinion, but because what the results have shown for two years now. Not one person on IAPreps other than your Sioux City neighbor, on his computer posting other Heelan superlatives, cares about Roger Jansen's career or the history of Heelan football.

Wow, you are either trolling hard or hate Heelan enough to run down their entire district.

You provided all the entertainment needed here. You also made my point. ...in spades.

Thank you for your interest & participation.

Hate is entirely too strong of a word. Let me be clear that I have zero hatred toward Heelan or any of the Heelan fans/IAPreps members. If I felt that Heelan fans were correct with all of the ignorant posts and predictions I would not say anything at all. I wholeheartedly think they are wrong, and I am easily annoyed listening to losers that talk about the good times.

It’s similar to how annoying it is for me to listen to fans of the Nebraska Cornhuskers or St. Louis Cardinals hanging on to something that’s gone. It’s like the cool kid in school that lives at home with Mom and Dad at 40 years old. But he was SO cool 20+ years ago!

Reactions: freeways
Hate is entirely too strong of a word. Let me be clear that I have zero hatred toward Heelan or any of the Heelan fans/IAPreps members. If I felt that Heelan fans were correct with all of the ignorant posts and predictions I would not say anything at all. I wholeheartedly think they are wrong, and I am easily annoyed listening to losers that talk about the good times.

It’s similar to how annoying it is for me to listen to fans of the Nebraska Cornhuskers or St. Louis Cardinals hanging on to something that’s gone. It’s like the cool kid in school that lives at home with Mom and Dad at 40 years old. But he was SO cool 20+ years ago!

You still hanging around? I just thought you might walk in front of a moving bus or something.
Guess not.

You just don't come across as very intelligent or well-spoken. Kind of like that 40 year old has been (or never was) living with their parents.

The only thing that's really clear in your posts is that you know next to nothing about Heelan--football program or otherwise.

Last edited:
Reactions: IowaHSFootballFan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT