ADVERTISEMENT

2nd Round Playoffs

Bluejay89

Freshman
Sep 11, 2016
OK, let's turn the page on last Friday's games and look ahead. I don't envision any upsets this week. I like Western Christian, Van Meter, Denver, and Regina. The most intriguing matchup is Regina-PC. It's been much talked about already. I'm sure the Regals who are well-schooled in big games will have some schemes devised for PC. Will they be able to execute them? I think this game will be very close and PC may have the lead at halftime. However, I think the 2nd half will be the Regals. I look for the Regals to pound the ground game and control the clock a bit to try to keep Jungling and Kac from getting touches. However, they will not abandon the passing attack. The Regals have always been good at being diverse and spreading the field. Coaching and halftime adjustments will be the difference in this game.

Does anyone know how PC's and Regina's lines compare this year. I know Regina is big up front, and I'm wondering if PC will be able to match up in the trenches. Also, I think a major key for Regina is not getting burned on big pass plays. Safeties need to keep everything in front of them, especially Jungling. Force PC to earn their yards by moving the ball methodically down the field. If Regina secondary has a good game I say they win by a few touchdowns.

Does anyone know how PC's and Regina's lines compare this year. I know Regina is big up front, and I'm wondering if PC will be able to match up in the trenches. Also, I think a major key for Regina is not getting burned on big pass plays. Safeties need to keep everything in front of them, especially Jungling. Force PC to earn their yards by moving the ball methodically down the field. If Regina secondary has a good game I say they win by a few touchdowns.

PC has good size up front, but they are also athletic. I watched PC's game against Prairie City-Monroe earlier this year and PCM's line was bigger than PC's, but it didn't matter. PCM is also a very good 2A team that is still playing. PC likes the big plays, but they can methodically go down the field just fine. Even if Regina's secondary has a good game, they are not winning by a few touchdowns. This is going to be a tough, close game. I would be shocked if this is a blowout. Regina is top dawg and deservedly so, but PC will give them a stiff challenge. You can talk all night about just keeping Jungling in front of you and such, but it isn't that easy. He will get his.

PC has good size up front, but they are also athletic. I watched PC's game against Prairie City-Monroe earlier this year and PCM's line was bigger than PC's, but it didn't matter. PCM is also a very good 2A team that is still playing. PC likes the big plays, but they can methodically go down the field just fine. Even if Regina's secondary has a good game, they are not winning by a few touchdowns. This is going to be a tough, close game. I would be shocked if this is a blowout. Regina is top dawg and deservedly so, but PC will give them a stiff challenge. You can talk all night about just keeping Jungling in front of you and such, but it isn't that easy. He will get his.

It appears Jungling only gets 8-10 touches per game. I'm not sure this is enough to beat Regina unless about 3 are big plays or scores. I haven't seen film but I'd presume they will try to jet sweep him and use the speed to get to the outside to maximize his play-making ability. I really think the key for Regina is not allowing Kac to run as heis their leading rusher and a great athlete. Jungling will likely get catches. If the Regals can prevent big chunk yards, I don't think this will hurt them. Taking away the QB run will be the key and this will make them rely on Jungling even more. I believe Regina will try to make PC one dimensional.

That's actually 8-10 touches in the first half as he rarely played in the second half this year. Did have 14 touches against SK that resulted in 3 TD's. I would bet he has more touches then that against Regina. I agree with you that you want to limit Kac's yards on the ground. If he is able to run the ball well, sets up the whole offensive package. He will punish a defense. He is all of 6'3", 230 lbs. Regina looks to have a great defense, so should be a great chess match.

That's actually 8-10 touches in the first half as he rarely played in the second half this year. Did have 14 touches against SK that resulted in 3 TD's. I would bet he has more touches then that against Regina. I agree with you that you want to limit Kac's yards on the ground. If he is able to run the ball well, sets up the whole offensive package. He will punish a defense. He is all of 6'3", 230 lbs. Regina looks to have a great defense, so should be a great chess match.
That sounds reasonable on the Jungling touches. I expect both teams to have to play a full game for a change. PC, I believe, win this or lose this with those two guys. Not saying they don't have anyone else but I would be surprised if PC doesn't allow one of these two guys to win it for them. If Regina can make it tough on Kac, they will make it tough on Jungling. Therefore, I think Regina just has to "contain" Jungling but stop Kac. this will be a great game.

fmclonefan or other PC fans, on a slightly different note, while looking through quikstats, Regina won by 17 last year and 49 the year before. Two years ago guys like Jungling and Kac were cutting teeth. How is PC better this year than last year? Where have they improved? Likewise, Cid or other Regal fans, how is Regina improved from last year? Are they improved from last year? I know Regina has lost their QB earlier in the year, right? PC has closed the gap from 2014. Can they finish the deal?

fmclonefan or other PC fans, on a slightly different note, while looking through quikstats, Regina won by 17 last year and 49 the year before. Two years ago guys like Jungling and Kac were cutting teeth. How is PC better this year than last year? Where have they improved? Likewise, Cid or other Regal fans, how is Regina improved from last year? Are they improved from last year? I know Regina has lost their QB earlier in the year, right? PC has closed the gap from 2014. Can they finish the deal?

I haven't seen Regina play this year so can't say for sure, but I believe Regina may have a better line than last year. Tank, Reis, and Sehl are big bodies up front. They certainly have studs other places on the field as well like Vollstedt. But overall this is probably the weekest Regina has been at skill positions for the last 7-8 years. They certainly have a lot to prove next week, and I think they still have enough to win but we'll see

Word from my hard-core PC friends is that the improvement is team wide and with a healthy Kac. But, the line play is much improved. Line is bigger, stronger, faster and has dominated the line of scrimmage this year on both sides of the ball. They are allowing the skilled players to excel.

I was told last year Kac tore his ACL midway through the season and played on and off the rest of the season. This limits both their offense and defense, obviously. These two will resemble Schulte and Wilson from Xavier, but I think even better. So Regina better be firing on all cylinders. If Kac has any time to throw he will find Jungling, and I don't think there is anyone in 1A that can cover him.

I was told last year Kac tore his ACL midway through the season and played on and off the rest of the season. This limits both their offense and defense, obviously. These two will resemble Schulte and Wilson from Xavier, but I think even better. So Regina better be firing on all cylinders. If Kac has any time to throw he will find Jungling,
I was told last year Kac tore his ACL midway through the season and played on and off the rest of the season. This limits both their offense and defense, obviously. These two will resemble Schulte and Wilson from Xavier, but I think even better. So Regina better be firing on all cylinders. If Kac has any time to throw he will find Jungling, and I don't think there is anyone in 1A that can cover him.
Probably a pretty good comparison. I've seen both Schulte and Kac the past two years. I think Kac is better. Hard to compare Wilson and Jungling since they play different positions. However, both create a lot of havoc.

Big shocker, I know, but if PC can match Regina in the trenches, they can win. Barring some spectacular special teams plays or a deluge of turnovers, that will be the story of the game.

PC will go as far as the QB and WR take them.
With that being said, PC hasn't played a front 6 like they will against Regina. Against most 1A teams, opponents don't have the matchups/athletes to try and stop the run (QB included) and try and shut down a slot receiver. This is where I think Regina will have the biggest edge. They will be able to shut down the inside run game with their front 5/6, and then do some different things in the secondary with the rest of their athletes to try and minimize the damage of Jungling. He will still get his touches and probably a long TD here or there, but I don't know if it will be enough. And defensively, it will be a major challenge for PC to stop Regina. I expect Brinkman to block Kac every other play just in an effort to try and wear him down. Vollstedt will run north/south and will put points up on the board. If PC wins this game, it's going to be a shootout that comes down to the last possession or the first team to make the big mistake.

Also, seems like this discussion comes up every year, but Regina has played Xavier and Solon, arguably two of the better teams in 3A, with Xavier being a popular pick to at least make the dome (Pella v Solon will be an awesome game to follow as well). I like PCM's team, but let's be real here. This will be the best team that Pella Christian has played all year, while this may be the second or third best team Regina has played. Experience has to count for something, right? Right?

With that being said, PC hasn't played a front 6 like they will against Regina. Against most 1A teams, opponents don't have the matchups/athletes to try and stop the run (QB included) and try and shut down a slot receiver. This is where I think Regina will have the biggest edge. They will be able to shut down the inside run game with their front 5/6, and then do some different things in the secondary with the rest of their athletes to try and minimize the damage of Jungling. He will still get his touches and probably a long TD here or there, but I don't know if it will be enough. And defensively, it will be a major challenge for PC to stop Regina. I expect Brinkman to block Kac every other play just in an effort to try and wear him down. Vollstedt will run north/south and will put points up on the board. If PC wins this game, it's going to be a shootout that comes down to the last possession or the first team to make the big mistake.

Also, seems like this discussion comes up every year, but Regina has played Xavier and Solon, arguably two of the better teams in 3A, with Xavier being a popular pick to at least make the dome (Pella v Solon will be an awesome game to follow as well). I like PCM's team, but let's be real here. This will be the best team that Pella Christian has played all year, while this may be the second or third best team Regina has played. Experience has to count for something, right? Right?

Regina has been susceptible to the big play this year. PC will get their people in space to make those plays. What kind of defense does PC run? I see some play maker stats in addition to Kac on quickstats. I am assume Regina will know where he is at on defense at all times but he is such a good player it may not matter. Should be an exciting game.

I saw Kac had three interceptions against S-K. If he's giving the Regals extra possessions on Friday night, I expect they will take advantage of them. Regina ran three interceptions back for touchdowns against West Branch. Two of them counted.

Only time I saw Regina was last year's championship game.
They controlled the line, but had trouble with Western's speed.
A mobile QB, plays that did't take too long to develop, and multiple wide-outs that could outrun the DB's was what kept Western in the game.

Only time I saw Regina was last year's championship game.
They controlled the line, but had trouble with Western's speed.
A mobile QB, plays that did't take too long to develop, and multiple wide-outs that could outrun the DB's was what kept Western in the game.

That sounds familiar...

Reactions: VanderHoops
I know this thread has become predominantly Regina/PC (and with good reason), but I also want to hear thoughts on the Bellevue v Denver matchup. I have seen Bellevue this year, and they have strong RB/QB play, but wasn't overly amazed with the rest of their game. I actually thought South Winn would come out on top of that game, so maybe I need to give some more respect to Bellevue! Don't really know anything about Denver other than they gave Dike a run for their money week 1.

Any perspectives on this matchup? Or is the general consensus that either of these teams would get beat by Regina or PC in the semifinals.

That sounds familiar...
Exactly what they did against West Lyon.

Western has so much speed in the receiving corps, & it doesn't hurt that a couple of them are 6'3"
It doesn't really work to run a spread defense against them though since Granstra is such a good head-up ball carrier.
West Lyon didn't really leave any open lanes in the line, Granstra just finds the seams and never lowers his head. Something pretty rare for a high school running back.

Hinton will have about the same issue this week. Their D is solid, but the O starts and ends with the QB, Small.
Great athlete, but just like in BB, he often tries to do everything by himself.
They have a 6'6' wide out that's tough match up as well.

Wouldn't be surprised if Western season ends this week if they don't show up ready to play.

Well, this will obviously be the best team that PC has played this year. I guess you could use that to discount PC's chances, but not sure how far that will take you.

I'm sure Regina will have the advantage on the lines. If I was Regina, I'd be more concerned about my CB's and S's. PC goes 4 and 5 wide most of the time. You really have to have a S covering over the top against Jungling and then possibly on other side as well. If you don't cover him over the top he'll burn the CB. I can't image Regina would chance that. This ties up 5 to 6 DB's at all times. The D line then has to be very wary for the run as well because Kac will go up the middle quite often on the QB draw. So, the line really can't pin their ears back to go full bore pass rush or they will run right by the quick-hitting RB or Kac running it. If Regina's DB's don't play well, they will be in for a long night as Kac will pick them apart. But, in saying that, he did throw 3 picks against SK. My buddies said he looked to pumped and was overthrowing some balls in the first half. If he does that this Friday, will be a long night for PC.

Regina will get their points. It will be up to PC to be able to counter and try to take advantage of any opportunities that come their way.

Denver is really good. O-line averages 6'3" and over 290lbs AND can move. 5 backs who can all run the ball and QB can also throw when needed.

Denver is not "flashy" but flat out pounds on you and controls the clock. Defense is stout. They beat Dike New Hartford and controlled Trent Johnson . They have seen some great backs the last couple years and held all of them to well below their average.

Bellvue is really good but I think they will struggle with the physicality of Denver.

Reactions: mcmahon5
Exactly what they did against West Lyon.

Western has so much speed in the receiving corps, & it doesn't hurt that a couple of them are 6'3"
It doesn't really work to run a spread defense against them though since Granstra is such a good head-up ball carrier.
West Lyon didn't really leave any open lanes in the line, Granstra just finds the seams and never lowers his head. Something pretty rare for a high school running back.

Hinton will have about the same issue this week. Their D is solid, but the O starts and ends with the QB, Small.
Great athlete, but just like in BB, he often tries to do everything by himself.
They have a 6'6' wide out that's tough match up as well.

Wouldn't be surprised if Western season ends this week if they don't show up ready to play.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Western was the 1A state champ this year.......

Don't sleep on Western's defense either, playing really well right now. There offense can be very tough to stop, as they have so many weapons, hard to stop just one guy.

i'm a Protestant so I'll take Pella Christian.
Denver over Bellevue (BIG)
Hinton in the upset over Western
Van Meter over Madrid in the rematch

The winner of PC/Regina will win it all

I know this thread has become predominantly Regina/PC (and with good reason), but I also want to hear thoughts on the Bellevue v Denver matchup. I have seen Bellevue this year, and they have strong RB/QB play, but wasn't overly amazed with the rest of their game. I actually thought South Winn would come out on top of that game, so maybe I need to give some more respect to Bellevue! Don't really know anything about Denver other than they gave Dike a run for their money week 1.

Any perspectives on this matchup? Or is the general consensus that either of these teams would get beat by Regina or PC in the semifinals.
I have not seen Bellevue or Denver this year. Kilburg, the Bellevue RB sounds very good. However, it seems Bellevue is pretty one-dimensional. Denver has had a solid program and has put up some impressive numbers. I am like you and thought S Winn may have taken Bellevue out. That didn't happen. I do think Denver wins this game but don't think they can handle either PC or Regina. Just my 2 cents, which isn't worth much since I haven't seen either team.

i'm a Protestant so I'll take Pella Christian.
Denver over Bellevue (BIG)
Hinton in the upset over Western
Van Meter over Madrid in the rematch

The winner of PC/Regina will win it all
I'm largely with you on this. I do think Regina wins a close one. I don't think Hinton will beat Western though. In a few days, we will know!

Denver, Western, Van Meter, Regina.

Denver sounds like they have a good line for there RBs to get behind that will carry them to the dome.

Regina took CR Xavier (who I think will be 3A champion and would be a dome team if they were still in 4A) down to the wire on the road in the 4th quarter, despite a number of missed opportunities by Regina. I doubt PC is a better team than Xavier. Nevertheless Regina can't afford to show up playing flat

Has anyone heard injury updates on Hinton? I had heard they had their leading tackler taken by ambulance last Friday. I also heard Small was hurt as well but not to what extent.

Until somebody knocks off the champ they have to be the favorite.

With that said I honestly believe 1-A by far has the most quality teams left.

GREAT playoffs yet to come!!!

Denver, Western, Van Meter, Regina.

Denver sounds like they have a good line for there RBs to get behind that will carry them to the dome.

Regina took CR Xavier (who I think will be 3A champion and would be a dome team if they were still in 4A) down to the wire on the road in the 4th quarter, despite a number of missed opportunities by Regina. I doubt PC is a better team than Xavier. Nevertheless Regina can't afford to show up playing flat

Pretty well said. I think I concur!

Took the words right out of my mouth. Said it many times. I think Western Christian, Van Meter, Denver, Pella Christian, and Regina are all quality "dome-worthy" teams. Perhaps Madrid as well. No offense to the other teams who may prove me wrong. In the past, Regina has rolled teams all the way to and through the finals. The gap has closed and I expect close games all the way from here on out for all teams.

I did a quick check of all the classes and the most losses by any team still playing is 3. With the state reducing the number of playoff teams by half I think after the first round all the teams left in all classes are quality. I'm more of a 2A follower and think there were two teams that qualified in that class that weren't quality but they got eliminated in the first round.

Haven't seen Regina play this year, but from seeing them in years past I would say their secondary is always their weakness. This could end up being a great matchup for PC. My (ignorant I'll admit) question is, with Jungling producing what appears to be 60+% of the passing offense, why not double him up and let the others beat you? Sounds like he's a smaller kid with speed, so get a good jam and help him over the top. I'm sure the other receivers are capable, but capable does not equal great.

One thing I don't hear anybody talking about is whether Regina has the offense to put up points. I know, this is probably a sacrilegious statement considering Regina has never struggled to put up points, but PC's defense statistically looks top notch, holding two potent offenses (S-K and PCM) to well below their season standards (especially on the ground).

Haven't seen Regina play this year, but from seeing them in years past I would say their secondary is always their weakness. This could end up being a great matchup for PC. My (ignorant I'll admit) question is, with Jungling producing what appears to be 60+% of the passing offense, why not double him up and let the others beat you? Sounds like he's a smaller kid with speed, so get a good jam and help him over the top. I'm sure the other receivers are capable, but capable does not equal great.

One thing I don't hear anybody talking about is whether Regina has the offense to put up points. I know, this is probably a sacrilegious statement considering Regina has never struggled to put up points, but PC's defense statistically looks top notch, holding two potent offenses (S-K and PCM) to well below their season standards (especially on the ground).

I'm sure Regina will have something like this devised

Regina will have a good scheme to stop him. He's not a small kid though. 5'11" and about 175 lbs. Is very strong and very fast. Is an all-state basketball player as well. Jamming him isn't easy. PC also will throw quick hitters or hand the ball to him and let his athletic ability take it from there. They do have other receivers that can hurt you. Rose and Vroom have 33 catches between them for 15 TD's. So much attention is paid to Jungling that others can get lost by the DB's. Again, should be a great chess match.

PC's D has played very well. Shut down SK, but Regina is a whole different animal.

Has anyone heard injury updates on Hinton? I had heard they had their leading tackler taken by ambulance last Friday. I also heard Small was hurt as well but not to what extent.
Heard yesterday that their leading tackler, Bishop, tried playing last week with Mono. Was taken off field on stretcher. Saw on twitter he was released from hospital yesterday. Would think be very difficult for him to play Friday. Big loss for Hinton.

I kind of disagree with you on the most quality teams. I truly believe that there are only 5 quality teams left and after tomorrow that number will be reduced to 3. Regina, PC, WC, Hinton, & Denver. I'm not sold on Van Meter and Madrid because of their districts. Somebody help me, but I can't remember the last time a central Iowa team made the finals in 1a. Bellevue is having a good year but, Denver will be too much for them.

VM and Madrid played on Mediacom a few weeks ago and I watched the game. I was impressed with players on both sides, but to me it was pretty clear that was the most (and only) competitive game either team had played. Not to take anything away from VM, but I thought their defense looked good against Madrid, but not unbelievable (VM didn't give up a point the first 6 weeks and only gave up 6 total before playing Madrid). To me, this tells you everything you need to know about the competition they are playing. Not to take anything away from either team, but it is going to be hard to know what they really have until they play one of the powers.

But it would be wrong of me to forget to mention that VM took Western Christian a full 4 quarters last year in the semis, much like Regina did. So, who really knows..?! It is also guessing and speculation until you see the game. But I guess that's why we get on here and talk about it, right?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT