Dallas Center-Grimes @
Ballard
Decorah @ Xavier, Cedar Rapids
Maquoketa @ Assumption, Davenport
Norwalk @
Gilbert
Solon @ West Delaware, Manchester

Now is where it gets fun!

Bladt knows that at this point in the season he cannot change what he has been coaching the players since day 1. Not to mention, I would guess that a traditional power like Harlan has been teaching this defense for years.

If Harlan has practiced and played a head up, 2 gap front all season then changing the techniques would result in far more issues than getting worked by a bigger line. A better approach would be to rotate more players that have practiced the same scheme all year. Switching to a gap control front with 10+ weeks of two gapping would result in some big time breakdowns when a kid doesn't play his shade. Lastly, if Harlan plays that front then they should be thankful that they did not play Pella because I've seen their Tight Slot and Wing looks. They would reach Harlan's 5s/8s (or fold them), seal (or pin) their backers and it would be off to the races. Not to mention what they can do with motion. A 43 is a great front but when the QB can run then you better have some safeties that enjoy partying too.

JB

Agree 100%. But I played for a long, long time and I can tell you teaching gap technique should be done early on in the spring and summer and be part of your arsenal. Play heads up all of the time and it makes it easy to plan for and rotating players is only an option if you have kids that can rotate and play.

I am not saying switch to gap technique but it should be part of your playbook from the beginning. It's not that complicates, hat read, feel pressure....that's as simple as it needs to be.

And a 4-3 makes it so much easier for bigger slower lineman. I am amazed how 4 - 3 dominates around here. Just don't see 3 - 4 much

Huelett is a good player. I believe he has started Varsity since his sophomore season. I still believe that Creston goes as their rb goes. Schiltz is a fantastic rb and behind that big o line he is even more dangerous. Schiltz is that team. Shut him down or contain him they are done.

Hulett is without a doubt the most sound player on that team. Great feet, good hands, big, tough and pretty quick...if it was me he'd be a straight up end.

Schiltz is good and I will stop there.....

Offensive line get's push 6 - 7 yards down the field and like I said earlier my 11 year old can run behind that. Creston goes as their line goes as was seen in every game they lost.

Norwalk, Glenwood, first game against Harlan, and DCG....

First game against harlan 2 plays for 110 yards and the DCG game 49 carries....

Great thing about HUDL these days....nuff said.

Round Two Games:

Boyden-Hull/Rock Valley @ Webster City Went back and forth on this one, but BHRV is on a roll right now
Carroll @ Sergeant Bluff-Luton SB-L will shut down the Carroll offense
Creston @ Pella Creston may make it a little closer, but Pella keeps on rolling
Dallas Center-Grimes @ Ballard DC-G has more horses in this one
Decorah @ Xavier, Cedar Rapids Xavier defense will hold down Decorah
Maquoketa @ Assumption, Davenport Assumption will roll in this one
Norwalk
@ Gilbert Norwalk will win a thriller here in OT
Solon @ West Delaware, Manchester The best game of the second round, West Delaware wins because they are at home

Round Two Games:

Boyden-Hull/Rock Valley @ Webster City Webster City by two TD.
Carroll @ Sergeant Bluff-Luton
Creston @ Pella Pella in an shoot out of a 1st half, but pulls away in the 2nd half.
Dallas Center-Grimes @ Ballard DCG wins in a close one. 24-21
Decorah @ Xavier, Cedar Rapids Upset Alert. Xavier goes down in this one.
Maquoketa @ Assumption, Davenport Assumption wins this one. Lineman are too much for Maquoketa.
Norwalk @ Gilbert Norwalk runs away with this one.
Solon @ West Delaware, Manchester West Delaware in an intriguing match up!

Boyden-Hull/Rock Valley @ Webster City--The long drive and the single wing offense are too much to overcome with the short week for B-H/RV. Webster City wins 35-22

Carroll @ Sergeant Bluff-Luton--Carroll is playing very well as of late-Tigers go on the road and get huge win. Carroll 30-27

Creston @ Pella--All of the talk about the huge line of Creston, fires up Pella. Pella cruises 35-6

Dallas Center-Grimes @ Ballard--DC-G controls the game-Ballard's schedule is weak. Dallas Center-Grimes wins 28-0

Decorah @ Xavier--Xavier is battle tested for sure. Decorah had a good year after starting 0-3. Xavier wins 28-7

Maquoketa @ Assumption--A nice year for Maquoketa comes to an end early Monday night. Assumption 48-14

Norwalk @ Gilbert--Norwalk goes into hostile Gilbert and advances to elite 8. Tigers strength of schedule is a question mark and it matters in round 2. Norwalk 28-6

Solon @ West Delaware--The 3A field is happy one of these teams is eliminated. West Delaware stays perfect 20-7
Web. City
SBL
Pella- I really wish they where playing Harlan
DCG
CRX
D.A.
Norwalk
W.D.

Round Two

One shocker and some beat downs

Standings:
jayhawksalumni....-----------------------------------8-0--------------------100%--Wow!!!!!!!!
bigfridaynite-------------------------------------------19-5--------------------79%
monte2013---------------------------------------------19-5--------------------79%
Wild Man 4510----------------------------------------18-6--------------------75%
El_Doce-------------------------------------------------18-6--------------------75%
iowahawkfan123--------------------------------------18-6---------------------75%
LincolntwspFar....--------------------------------------6-2----------------------75%
ronsss----------------------------------------------------17-7--------------------71%
fmclonefan-----------------------------------------------17-7-------------------71%
NeverReadTheTe....----------------------------------17-7--------------------71%
Luke Feddersen----------------------------------------17-7--------------------71%
EastIowaHawk-------------------------------------------11-5-------------------69%
Vroom_C14----------------------------------------------16-8--------------------67%
Wildcatstony---------------------------------------------16-8--------------------67%
tbrownsln-------------------------------------------------10-6---------------------63%
PNation---------------------------------------------------10-6---------------------63%
oldschoolram1995--------------------------------------1-1----------------------50%

Round 3 Games:

Decorah @ West Delaware
Pella @ Assumption
Norwalk @ Dallas Center-Grimes
Webster City @ Sergeant Bluff-Luton

Nice call by jayhawksalum on the Decorah upset. I know I didn't see that coming - the Vikings piled up nearly 300 yards rushing and over 400 yards total on an undefeated Xavier defense. Every time the Saints got close (or took the lead in the 2nd quarter) Decorah answered with a big scoring drive. Hats off to the Vikings. They played a heck of a game.

Reactions: Vroom_C14
Decorah @ West Delaware
Pella @ Assumption

Gotta switch it up if I'm gonna pull this out! Road teams roll this Friday! (Except one)

Decorah @ West Delaware
Pella @
Assumption

All four games could be close though, honestly. If I had to pick I'll say Pella over Assumption by 21, West Delaware over Decorah by 13, Norwalk over DC-G by 6 and Webster City over SB-L by 1.

Decorah @ West Delaware --Look for Decorah to come out fast in hopes to get revenge from a regular season defeat, but their underdog season comes to a close as West Delaware's RB will be too much again.
Pella @ Assumption--Pella proved they can play with the big boys last night as they ran right by the toads from Creston. Argo will pose more of a throwing/running threat, but look for the Dutch to prevail in this one by two scores.
Norwalk @ Dallas Center-Grimes--Can't believe the state is letting these two play to go to the Dome. I will take Norwalk in this one as DCG won't be able to stop their passing game.
Webster City @ Sergeant Bluff-Luton--This one will come down to who does not turn the ball over. Both teams will pound each other on the ground. But I see Webster City coming out on top in this one.

Looking forward a bit. It maybe be possible that Norwalk and Pella play for the championship. Might be the only district that could have two teams play for the state championship.

Decorah @ West Delaware
Pella @ Assumption

Decorah @ West Delaware -- W Del balance tips the scales
Pella @ Assumption -- Pella matches up Assumption athletes
Norwalk @ Dallas Center-Grimes -- DCG has lost a couple of key defensive backs over the year, and that inexperience will play into Norwalk's passing game
Webster City @ Sergeant Bluff-Luton -- Sergeant Bluff will score a lot of points, and the Lynx will not be able to respond fast enough with their one-dimensional offense.

Decorah @ West Delaware--Good times can't continue in Decorah! West Delaware rolls in unfortunate D3 rematch. West Delaware 35-14----Welcome 12-0!

Pella @ Assumption--3A Champs are not getting any love. This is a battle! This should be a dome game! Pella survives 28-26

Norwalk @ Dallas Center-Grimes--Not sure if these two teams could beat any of the other six teams left. But, good for them! Norwalk 28-21

Webster City @ Sergeant-Bluff-Luton--With Webster City's impressive total domination of Boyden Hull/Rock Valley you can't pick against them. The spinner back makes Sergeant-Bluff-Luton dizzy. Webster City wins 42-20

Decorah @ West Delaware--Good times can't continue in Decorah! West Delaware rolls in unfortunate D3 rematch. West Delaware 35-14----Welcome 12-0!

Pella @ Assumption--3A Champs are not getting any love. This is a battle! This should be a dome game! Pella survives 28-26

Norwalk @ Dallas Center-Grimes--Not sure if these two teams could beat any of the other six teams left. But, good for them! Norwalk 28-21

Webster City @ Sergeant-Bluff-Luton--With Webster City's impressive total domination of Boyden Hull/Rock Valley you can't pick against them. The spinner back makes Sergeant-Bluff-Luton dizzy. Webster City wins 42-20
WD
Pella by 3 td's
Norwalk
SBL I guess I've change my mine 5 times

Decorah @ West Delaware- WEST DELAWARE
Pella @ Assumption- PELLA
Norwalk @ Dallas Center-Grimes- NORWALK
Webster City @ Sergeant Bluff-Luton- SERGEANT BLUFF-LUTON

Standings going into the Final 4:

Full Timers

bigfridaynite-----------------23-5-----------------------82%
iowahawkfan123----------22-6------------------------79%
Wild Man 4510-------------21-7------------------------75%
monte2013------------------21-7------------------------75%
fmclonefan------------------21-7------------------------75%
El_Doce----------------------20-8------------------------71%
ronsss------------------------20-8------------------------71%
NeverReadTheTe....------20-8------------------------71%
Luke Feddersen------------20-8------------------------71%

Part Timers

Ford26-------------------------4-0--------------------------100%
jayhawksalumni......--------11-1--------------------------92%
LincolntwspFar.....-----------6-2---------------------------75%
EastIowaHawk---------------11-5--------------------------69%
Vroom_C14-------------------16-8--------------------------67%
Wildcatstony-------------------16-8-------------------------67%
tbrownsln------------------------10-6-------------------------63%
PNation--------------------------10-6-------------------------63%
oldschoolram1995-------------1-1--------------------------50%

Final Four: Thursday

Norwalk vs. Sergeant Bluff-Luton @ UNI
Pella vs. West Delaware, Manchester @ UNI

Norwalk vs. Sergeant Bluff-Luton Norwalk's will put up points against a week SBL defense, but their offense is not all its cracked up to be. They did not post that big of number throughout the season. Their defense is solid, but cannot stop a physical ground game the whole game. Expect a high scoring game with SBL coming out on top.
Pella vs. West Delaware, Manchester Pella has proven they can play fast & physical football. Surprised how they handled Assumption after a slow start. This is a talented group of kids. Expect WD to run the ball well, but the Pella defense will make stops. WD will not be able to slow down the Pella offense. Pella by 17.

Welp, I'm gonna lose.

I think the semi-final between Pella and West Delaware is really the championship. I think this will be Pella's hardest game all week, but the Dutch still win 33-21. And I think Norwalk will win a shootout with SBL, who I pick against every single week and they continue to prove me wrong. So I'm taking...

Pella and Norwalk. Rematch for the state title.

Norwalk vs. Sergeant Bluff-Luton @ UNI
Pella vs. West Delaware, Manchester @ UNI

Norwalk vs. Sergeant Bluff-Luton--The SB-L scoring machine rolls on. The speed of the offense is amplified on the turf. Sergeant Bluff-Luton wins 49-28

Pella vs. West Delaware--Since I am two games back in the picks. I want to pick up an upset win here. West Delaware wants it more?!!! I will go with that. West Delaware wins 28-27

SB-L's George, that qb , and Oline have been amazing. They got ahead of run only Web City and it was over, not even a game. Norwalk throws the ball so they should get some easy points vs that sieve SB-L defense but it's doubtful they can stop Matt George enough. SB-L goes to the title game to lose to Pella by a lot.
Matt George has over 1,000 in the playoffs alone !

Norwalk vs. Sergeant Bluff-Luton--The SB-L scoring machine rolls on. The speed of the offense is amplified on the turf. Sergeant Bluff-Luton wins 49-28

Pella vs. West Delaware--Since I am two games back in the picks. I want to pick up an upset win here. West Delaware wants it more?!!! I will go with that. West Delaware wins 28-27
SBL
Pella

With one game to go its a two horse race. NeverReadTheTe......is the only one to pick Norwalk and Pella, way to go!

Standings:

bigfridaynite------------------------24-6----------------------------80%
iowahawkfan123------------------23-7----------------------------77%
NeverReadTheTe.......----------22-8-----------------------------73%
monte2013-------------------------22-8-----------------------------73%
fmclonefan--------------------------22-8-----------------------------73%
Wild Man 4510---------------------21-9-----------------------------70%
El_Doce------------------------------21-9-----------------------------70%
ronsss--------------------------------21-9------------------------------70%
Luke Feddersen-------------------21-9-------------------------------70%

Part-Timers:
jayhawksalumni.......-------------12-2--------------------------------86%