Carroll @ Harlan
Spencer @ Heelan
Waverly-SR @ Clear Lake
Grinnell @ Dallas Center-Grimes
Maquoketa @ Decorah
West Delaware @ Solon
Oskaloosa @ Washington
Williamsburg @ Pella
Coin flip game & no one picking West Delaware...? I think WD gets the Spartans...I didn't pick week 1, but I'm going to clutter the thread anyway...

Carroll
Heelan
Clear Lake
DC-G
Maquoketa (homer pick)
West Delaward
Washington
Williamburg (upset...)

I think Solon wins this one. They have quietly dispatched with authority every opponent they have played, excepting that beat down against Regina.

Originally posted by Crafty Beaver:

Originally posted by Superbee922:
Carroll @ Harlan
Spencer @ Heelan
Waverly-SR @ Clear Lake
Maquoketa @ Decorah
West Delaware @ Solon
Oskaloosa @ Washington
Williamsburg @ Pella
Coin flip game & no one picking West Delaware...? I think WD gets the Spartans...I didn't pick week 1, but I'm going to clutter the thread anyway...

Carroll
Heelan
Clear Lake
DC-G
Maquoketa (homer pick)
West Delaward
Washington
Williamburg (upset...)
What's your logic behind picking WD? If you compare Marion, DeWitt, Maquoketa, West Dub games (common opponents)

Solon Beat DeWitt whom West Del lost to.
Solon beat Marion and held Marion to 70yds of offense and 0 pts. Marion
Solon beat Maq by 10 more and allowing 7 more (with a lot of penalty yardage)
Solon beat West Dub by less but also allowed less pts.

I think it will be a good game, I know WD has a prolific RB in Coy and Solon has 3 RB's (well one is a QB but leads in rushing yds). Controlling the LOS will be the key.

Originally posted by OtherWiseGinger:

Carroll @ Harlan
Spencer @ Heelan
Waverly-SR @ Clear Lake
Maquoketa @ Decorah
West Delaware @ Solon
Oskaloosa @ Washington
Williamsburg @ Pella

Carroll
Heelan
Clear Lake
DC-G
Maquoketa (homer pick)
West Delaward
Washington
Williamburg (upset...)
What's your logic behind picking WD? If you compare Marion, DeWitt, Maquoketa, West Dub games (common opponents)

I think it will be a good game, I know WD has a prolific RB in Coy and Solon has 3 RB's (well one is a QB but leads in rushing yds). Controlling the LOS will be the key.
Just a gut. Main thought is that WD is stout enough to hang at the LOS w/a very physical Solon team & athletic enough to hang athletically with Black. Main advantage to WD being that they are very balance on offense, whereas (imo) Black doesn't pass particularly well.

From your points:

West Delaware (from my understanding) had several key players suspended in their game against Dewitt. Dewitt was also playing their first game with a new QB (iirc) in their game against Solon.

Solon beat Maquoketa 49-31 (and deserved every penalty and more). WD beat Maq 38-24...PUSH.

the harlan vs carroll game, harlan did not have its running back , gettys, in that game. he will play this time around, but i still don,t think it will be enough...he had like 282yds against lemars on 42 carries. carroll stuffed spencers running game though. he might make the game close.

Carroll @ Harlan
Spencer @ Heelan
Waverly-SR @ Clear Lake
Maquoketa @ Decorah
West Delaware @ Solon
Oskaloosa @ Washington
Williamsburg @ Pella

I only picked Harlan.. knowing they only lost 14-7 in the first meeting.. and giving Bladt a 2nd chance vs. same opponent.. I'm sure he's studying the Heelan film vs. Carroll... Guess we'll see! I didn't know about the RB.. i'm sure that will helps quite a bit..

Carroll @ Harlan
Spencer @ Heelan
Waverly-SR @ Clear Lake
Maquoketa @ Decorah
West Delaware @ Solon
Oskaloosa @ Wahington
Williamsburg @ Pella

Carroll @ Harlan- Harlan
Spencer @ Heelan- Heelan
Waverly-Shell Rock @ Clear Lake- Clear Lake
Grinnell @ Dallas Center-Grimes- Dallas Center-Grimes
Maquoketa @ Decorah- Decorah
West Delaware @ Solon- Solon
Oskaloosa @ Washington- Washington
Williamsburg @ Pella- Pella

Carroll @ Harlan------Carroll
Spencer @ Heelan----Heelan
Waverly-SR @ Clear Lake---Clear Lake
Grinnell @ DC-G-----Grinnell
Maquoketa @ Decorah----Decorah
West Delaware @ Solon---West Delaware
Oskaloosa @ Washington--Washington
Williamsberg @ Pella---Pella

Here are BC Moore and the computers picks

Carroll @ Harlan-----------Carroll by 0.41
Spencer @ Heelan--------Heelan by 32.64
Waverly-SR @ Clear Lake---Clear Lake by 15.05
Grinnell @ Dallas Center-Grimes----DC-G by 3.50
Maquoketa @ Decorah-----Decorah by 29.28
West Delaware @ Solon----Solon by 3.95
Oskaloosa @ Washington---Washington by 25.17
Williamsburg @ Pella-----Pella by 16.27

Carroll @ Harlan-----------Carroll
Spencer @ Heelan--------Heelan
Grinnell @ Dallas Center-Grimes----Grinell
Maquoketa @ Decorah-----Decorah
West Delaware @ Solon----Solon
Oskaloosa @ Washington---Washington
Williamsburg @ Pella-----Pella

Carroll @ Harlan
Spencer @ Heelan
Waverly-SR @ Clear Lake
Maquoketa @ Decorah
West Delaware @ Solon
Oskaloosa @ Washington
Williamsburg @ Pella

Carroll
Heelan
Clear Lake
DC-G
Maquoketa (homer pick)
West Delaward
Washington
Williamburg (upset...)

Just a gut. Main thought is that WD is stout enough to hang at the LOS w/a very physical Solon team & athletic enough to hang athletically with Black. Main advantage to WD being that they are very balance on offense, whereas (imo) Black doesn't pass particularly well.

From your points:

West Delaware (from my understanding) had several key players suspended in their game against Dewitt. Dewitt was also playing their first game with a new QB (iirc) in their game against Solon.

Solon beat Maquoketa 49-31 (and deserved every penalty and more). WD beat Maq 38-24...PUSH.
I'll disagree on the "deserved" -

Should be a good game with Solon and WD.

Carroll
Heelan
Clear Lake
DCG
Decorah
Solon
Washington
Pella
This 3a is really shaping up to have some very good games the rest of the year.wow

Carroll @ Harlan------Carroll
Spencer @ Heelan----Heelan
Grinnell @ DC-G-----DCG
Maquoketa @ Decorah----Decorah
West Delaware @ Solon---Solon
Oskaloosa @ Washington--Washington
Williamsberg @ Pella---Pella

Originally posted by meandmyshadow:

From your points:

Hard to bitch about the officiating when you only listened to it on the radio...lol...On the other hand, I was at least at the game. Solon's coaches were unruly & their players were undisciplined...Kampman was the only one that didn't ride the refs the entire game.

From your points:

Hard to bitch about the officiating when you only listened to it on the radio...lol...On the other hand, I was at least at the game. Solon's coaches were unruly & their players were undisciplined...Kampman was the only one that didn't ride the refs the entire game.
LOL - yes you are the "expert" I know what I saw and heard. Film shows a lot too.

If Solon is such an unruly and undisciplined team - where have these calls been all year? Exactly.

I will add this as well. The "roughing the punter" call was not warranted, at the worst it should have been running into if called at all as the kicker moved horizontally with the ball (here's the rule for you: Roughing the Kicker is a relatively rare penalty because it is so punishing to the defense to give up a first down, particularly since most kicking plays occur on fourth down. Typically, a roughing the kicker penalty will occur when the defensive team makes an aggressive attempt to block the kick. It is a high-risk, high reward play in that if the kick is blocked it dramatically alters the flow of the game in favor of the defensive team, while a roughing the kicker penalty gives a huge boost to the offense. Roughing the kicker is no longer valid once the ball is touched by any player other than the kicker or holder, or once the kicking player has made a motion other than kicking, such as attempting a pass or running with the ball..) If the correct call is made, no roughing the kicker would have been called - at worst a running into which is 5yds or - no call as the kicker moved horizontally after a not clean snap and kicked the ball. Goes from 4th and 23 to automatic 1st. The very next series Maq faces another 4th and 23, throws a deep pass that is incomplete, PI is called on the defense (watch the film, it wasn't even close) gives maq another 1st down (great job of "home towning" by the officials), coaches (reverse this whole scenario and ANY coach in country would be livid) scream about the PI call and get a PF which moves the ball even closer.

I reiterate, if Solon is so unruly\undisciplined the PF on the coaches and players would be prevelant throughout the season, not just one game.

This post was edited on 11/4 12:31 PM by OtherWiseGinger

From your points:

LOL - yes you are the "expert" I know what I saw and heard. Film shows a lot too.

If Solon is such an unruly and undisciplined team - where have these calls been all year? Exactly.

I will add this as well. The "roughing the punter" call was not warranted, at the worst it should have been running into if called at all as the kicker moved horizontally with the ball (here's the rule for you: Roughing the Kicker is a relatively rare penalty because it is so punishing to the defense to give up a first down, particularly since most kicking plays occur on fourth down. Typically, a roughing the kicker penalty will occur when the defensive team makes an aggressive attempt to block the kick. It is a high-risk, high reward play in that if the kick is blocked it dramatically alters the flow of the game in favor of the defensive team, while a roughing the kicker penalty gives a huge boost to the offense. Roughing the kicker is no longer valid once the ball is touched by any player other than the kicker or holder, or once the kicking player has made a motion other than kicking, such as attempting a pass or running with the ball..) If the correct call is made, no roughing the kicker would have been called - at worst a running into which is 5yds or - no call as the kicker moved horizontally after a not clean snap and kicked the ball. Goes from 4th and 23 to automatic 1st. The very next series Maq faces another 4th and 23, throws a deep pass that is incomplete, PI is called on the defense (watch the film, it wasn't even close) gives maq another 1st down (great job of "home towning" by the officials), coaches (reverse this whole scenario and ANY coach in country would be livid) scream about the PI call and get a PF which moves the ball even closer.

I reiterate, if Solon is so unruly\undisciplined the PF on the coaches and players would be prevelant throughout the season, not just one game.

This post was edited on 11/4 12:31 PM by OtherWiseGinger
I agree with you with respect to the roughing penalty and the PI penalty you're talking about. But there was also a blatant PF penalty -- well after the whistle & 15 yards from the play that went uncalled on Solon. The Back Judge even followed the Solon player into his own huddle (a 30 yard run) to warn him. He clearly should have thrown the flag instead, but it was early in the game & the ref probably gave him the benefit of the doubt.

They also - had OL moving ahead of the snap or who weren't set at the snap that went uncalled. This went on the entire game.

But sure, other than the player ejection, unsportsmanlike conducts on BOTH Spartan Players & coaches they controlled themselves really well...If you'd like to compare HUDL videos, just give me the play # & I'd love to break them down with you...

But maybe it was just one game...It's the only one I've seen them play all year...Maquoketa has played 10 games this year & Solon would be the only one that I would say negative things about the way their coaches & players conducted themselves...Solon has about 10 coaches & (save for Kampman) they all take turns riding the refs...Take it fwiw...It's just one man's opinion...

Carroll @ Harlan-- Harlan
Spencer @ Heelan-- Heelan
Waverly-SR @ Clear Lake-- Clear Lake
Grinnell @ Dallas Center-Grimes-- Grinnell
Maquoketa @ Decorah-- Decorah
West Delaware @ Solon-- West Delaware
Oskaloosa @ Washington-- Washington
Williamsburg @ Pella-- Pella

I agree with you with respect to the roughing penalty and the PI penalty you're talking about. But there was also a blatant PF penalty -- well after the whistle & 15 yards from the play that went uncalled on Solon. The Back Judge even followed the Solon player into his own huddle (a 30 yard run) to warn him. He clearly should have thrown the flag instead, but it was early in the game & the ref probably gave him the benefit of the doubt.

They also - had OL moving ahead of the snap or who weren't set at the snap that went uncalled. This went on the entire game.

But sure, other than the player ejection, unsportsmanlike conducts on BOTH Spartan Players & coaches they controlled themselves really well...If you'd like to compare HUDL videos, just give me the play # & I'd love to break them down with you...

But maybe it was just one game...It's the only one I've seen them play all year...Maquoketa has played 10 games this year & Solon would be the only one that I would say negative things about the way their coaches & players conducted themselves...Solon has about 10 coaches & (save for Kampman) they all take turns riding the refs...Take it fwiw...It's just one man's opinion...
My basic point is - if Solon is (as you stated) as unruly and undisciplined wouldn't they be getting PF\ULC every game? This was the first game in 10... Maq players and coaches (the latter in the press box especially) were chirping from the first play about "how dirty Solon is" to the officials and anyone within earshot. Maq coaches ride the refs too, even if you don't want to admit it. If the officials don't catch the action, they catch the reaction.

As far as penalties not being called, I am sure Maq had their share as well that were not called. You can break film down and find holding on every play if you want...

Regardless, good luck against Decorah.

Carroll @ Harlan (Harlan by 6)
Spencer @ Heelan (Heelan by 20)
Waverly-SR @ Clear Lake (Clear Lake by 14)
Grinell @ Dallas Center-Grimes (Grinell by 6)
Maquoketa@ Decorah (Decorah by 14)
West Delaware @ Solon (Solon by 7)
Oskaloosa @ Washington (Oskaloosa by 3)
Williamsburg @ Pella (Pella by 7)

OWG:

We can just agree to disagree at this point...I re-watched most of the first half of our game. On Maquoketa's first TD...play 18, a Solon player trailing the play (defensively) jacks a Maquoketa player (#5) as the ball carrier is crossing the goalline...just a cheap shot - no call. On play 58, there are not one, but 2 blocks in the back right in front of the line judge...the second one isn't even close. So, my overall point is...that while there were a couple of calls that probably did go against Solon, there were also several more calls that could have been made that weren't.

As to your game against Decorah...we did a decent job slowing down their running game...but their QB was on the freaking money all night, putting balls right on the button. If he throws the ball like that, they are going to be tough to beat. He threw a 50 yarder with 35 seconds left before halftime that was a thing of beauty...otherwise, Maq would have led at half...

I can't believe you handled West Delaware the way you did. WD was definitely a jeckyl & hyde team for some reason...

OWG:

We can just agree to disagree at this point...I re-watched most of the first half of our game. On Maquoketa's first TD...play 18, a Solon player trailing the play (defensively) jacks a Maquoketa player (#5) as the ball carrier is crossing the goalline...just a cheap shot - no call. On play 58, there are not one, but 2 blocks in the back right in front of the line judge...the second one isn't even close. So, my overall point is...that while there were a couple of calls that probably did go against Solon, there were also several more calls that could have been made that weren't.

As to your game against Decorah...we did a decent job slowing down their running game...but their QB was on the freaking money all night, putting balls right on the button. If he throws the ball like that, they are going to be tough to beat. He threw a 50 yarder with 35 seconds left before halftime that was a thing of beauty...otherwise, Maq would have led at half...

I can't believe you handled West Delaware the way you did. WD was definitely a jeckyl & hyde team for some reason...
The kids played their butts off.

Decorah will be tough.

After two rounds the "experts" are doing a fine job, here are the standings.

fmclonefan and WyattEarp1 go 8-0, it is tight at the top. Jnowa goes 8-1 while picking both Clear Lake and Waverly-SR, they played each other.

fmclonefan---------------23-1--------96%
***Luke Feddersen-----23-1--------96%
PNation-------------------22-1-------96%
fbtoss---------------------22-2--------92%
WyattEarp!--------------22-2---------92%
CrusaderPower---------22-2---------92%
OtherWiseGinger-------22-2--------92%
maxstabs13--------------22-2--------92%
iowahawkfan123--------22-2--------92%
vikesfan13147-----------21-2--------91%
Jnowa--------------------22-3---------88%
buckw87-----------------21-3---------88%