ADVERTISEMENT

1.65 Solution please...

Originally posted by Vroom_C14:

Originally posted by tm3308:

Originally posted by Vroom_C14:

My son's grade alone has 16 classified as "504" multiply that by 4 grades... your enrollment changes.
And your son is in which school district? 64 kids would be huge at a 1A/2A school, but not so much at the big schools. Plus, not every kid in special-ed is the same. Some of them are more than capable of competing well in sports.
16 kids alone would drop them a classification. Knowing the kids and the ones that do participate I will round the number to 50 between the 4 grades that qualify for 504 status - only 5 play sports.

I don't think you can apply a multiplier to just the "good" private schools - IMHO I think it would have to be applied to those that reside within a city that has population of "X". So ICR, CRX, SCBH, DA, CBSA and the like would be the main ones hit.
That still likely leaves Beckman, Kuemper, Western Christian, Don Bosco, Gehlen, and Unity Christian right where they are. I could see making the cutoff 10k, which would bump Kuemper. But Dyersville is only in a city of about 4k, Orange City around 6k, and Hull and Gilbertville are much smaller (and Don Bosco is one of the go-to schools for people complaining about private schools).

Then you're left with adding schools within X-miles from cities of X-population, which would also likely include public schools like Solon (Iowa City), Bondurant-Farrar (Altoona), Gilbert (Ames), Clear Lake (Mason City), etc. That idea will go over like a lead balloon.

This post was edited on 8/5 4:36 PM by tm3308

Vroom:

You are completely missing the point. Many students on 504 plans (especially) and IEP's are some of your top athletes in a school. In NO WAY should students on 504 plans be removed from a BEDS count. IEP's shouldn't either unless they are at a level that they physically or mentally cannot handle the sport and not participate, which would be a tiny fraction of any of the IEP's. This argument is ridiculous. If you want to keep those students from participating then drop them, but I think you would be very disappointed in the students you just eliminated from participating in your school.

Given the outcome of the baseball championships, does anyone else think that 1.65 is a solution without a problem?

But let's go ahead and assume we solve for the public/private 'problem' with 1.65 type solution. Why stop there? What about correcting for other inequities such as affluence, family background, heritage, or location?

For example, is it fair that West Des Moines Valley, with its 2036 students competes in 4A alongside Norwalk's 605 students?
What about a $20,000 difference in the average annual household income (2012 BLS data) between the wealthiest and poorest counties in Iowa?
Or what about the parent who takes 30 minutes a day every day to play catch with their son from the day he could throw versus the parent who did not or could not? If we can justify that it is right and necessary to 'fix' a public/private 'problem', how can we not take similar action on any other inequity, real or perceived, we choose to define?

As my economics prof would say, "Inequities exist everywhere; you can't solve for all of them." My parents put it a different way, "Life isn't fair,

…but it is what you make of it."

This is why we celebrate those special teams that rally around each other, overcome adversity, find a way to win and compete for championships.

Why would we want to screw that up?

...edited for formatting
This post was edited on 8/6 12:13 PM by gg2224

Well said gg. Interestingly enough, using this years BEDS numbers, if you hypothetically applied the 1.65 to the sole private school that won a championshp this year, they would still be 3A with a adjusted number placing them just above the team that they beat in the finals.

Here are my estimates of the impact of adjusting the BEDs number by a factor of 1.65 for private schools.

I identified 29 private high schools from the BEDs list. It wasn't a very scientific accounting, so it's possible that I could have missed categorized a school or two. Note that I tried to include all private entities, not just schools with religious affiliations. Fourteen* of the 29 private entities shifted classes due to the application of the 1.65 calculation.

Below is how the changes to classes would shake out for baseball:

Actual Enrollment Range for Each Class in a 1.65 world:
4A (423 to 2036)
3A (185 to 622)
2A (117 to 302)
1A (35 to 164)

Specific School Movements:

Up To 4A

Xavier, Cedar Rapids: 3A to 4A
Wahlert, Dubuque: 3A to 4A

Down To 3A
Newton: 4A to 3A
Norwalk: 4A to 3A
________

Up to 3A
Beckman Catholic, Dyersville: 2A to 3A
Columbus Catholic, Waterloo: 2A to 3A
Kuemper Catholic, Carroll: 2A to 3A
Woodward Academy: 2A to 3A
Unity Christian, Orange City: 2A to 3A
Regina, Iowa City: 2A to 3A
Western Christian, Hull: 2A to 3A
St. Edmond, Fort Dodge: 2A to 3A

Down to 2A
Nevada: 3A to 2A
Spirit Lake: 3A to 2A
South Tama County, Tama: 3A to 2A
Gilbert: 3A to 2A
Oelwein: 3A to 2A
Anamosa: 3A to 2A
Greene County: 3A to 2A
Waukon: 3A to 2A
________

Up to 2A
Newman Catholic, Mason City: 1A to 2A
Clarinda Academy: 1A to 2A
Don Bosco, Gilbertville: 1A to 2A
Bishop Garrigan, Algona: 1A to 2A

Down to 1A
Cardinal, Eldon: 2A to 1A
Colfax-Mingo: 2A to 1A
Hartley-Melvin-Sanborn: 2A to 1A
CMB, Baxter: 2A to 1A

*I discovered a misreported BEDS number for Boyden Hull/Rock Valley. At 319, BHRV would remain in 3A which in turn would also keep Pella Christian in 2A. Under this scenario, St. Edmonds would become the smallest 3A school with 185 actual students. With this correction, 14/29 private schools would switch classes when a 1.65 correction factor is applied.
This post was edited on 8/7 11:20 AM by gg2224

The only thing is gg is that I'll bet there are some multiplier advocates who would take all those schools moving up in a heartbeat especially for certain other sports like Regina in football and Western in basketball.

Originally posted by printit:

Vroom:

You are completely missing the point. Many students on 504 plans (especially) and IEP's are some of your top athletes in a school. In NO WAY should students on 504 plans be removed from a BEDS count. IEP's shouldn't either unless they are at a level that they physically or mentally cannot handle the sport and not participate, which would be a tiny fraction of any of the IEP's. This argument is ridiculous. If you want to keep those students from participating then drop them, but I think you would be very disappointed in the students you just eliminated from participating in your school.
Not the case at my son's school - most of these kids are non athletes I can think of 2 that play (rather watch than play).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT