ADVERTISEMENT

XC Pre-season Team Rankings are posted

What happened to this forum. Used to be kinda lively during x season. Crickets. Any thoughts on how the state separates the 2a girls field? The eastern part of the state is loaded in 2a girls.

What happened to this forum. Used to be kinda lively during x season. Crickets. Any thoughts on how the state separates the 2a girls field? The eastern part of the state is loaded in 2a girls.

Honestly, while a few teams will get bad assignments, they probably did a better job this year in host sites than in some previous years. There are 3 sites in the eastern half of the state, one near central and one in western. That should let them break up a bunch of the ranked teams out east.

It's funny though, my kids team could be a casualty of that in 1A. We're in the DSM, Newton, Marshalltown triangle, will end up at Pekin or Eagle Grove. The Pekin site is the closest at 93 miles, EG is 97. The rest are over 120 miles away. Honestly, I'm more worried about our girls team getting healthy, we haven't run with our full team since about our second meet. Our #2 runner has been out with hip and foot problems since early Sep, so the site is the least of our concerns at the moment.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
State qualifying meet assignments have been posted...

Thoughts?

We ended up in Mt Ayr, which is good for the girls, bad for the boys. My kids should qualify (if they don't bonk), more worried about the teams. Our #2 girl is going to run at conference tomorrow, her first meet in a month, but our #4 runner have been dealing with shin splints the last couple of meets, so she may not be fully healthy. Hopefully everyone is good to go, if so, the girl's team should make it.

The boys team will be fighting everyone for third, Nodaway Valley and Woodward Academy should be 1/2, with a big gap to 3rd.

http://www.iahsaa.org/cross-country/state-qualifying-cross-country-assignments/

Thought they did a pretty good job of spreading things out. The state obviously went out of their way to send teams to districts based on quality of teams than simply what was closest. I was pretty impressed with the time they must have taken to balance it all out pretty well.

My twins both qualified. We had 2 boys and 2 girls qualify individually, our girls made it as a team. Panorama won the girls district title (at Mt Ayr), Nodaway Valley won the boys.

Mid Prairie was firing on all cylinders at the Pella 2A meet.

The boys had all five scorers from the state title team last year running at near 100% fitness for the first time all season and ran 1-3-5-6-8 with a 44.x second spread. Their state spread last year was 50.x so they should be right in the mix for the title again this year.

On the girls side Anna Hostetler is returning to form after some health problems. She beat her sister Marie for the first time in about a month and a half after running her own pace a minute or so behind her sister in most of the recent races. They went 1-2-3-9-10 as a team for a comfortable victory. Between adding the top 2A middle school runner at #3 and couple of girls putting in serious work in training, they are much stronger as a team this year. Should be contenders to win the title after a 3rd place finish last year.

Last edited:
I was wondering what was going on with Anna. We ran against them at Pella early in the year and both girls were running well. Then all of a sudden Anna was finishing 1 - 11/2 minutes back of her sister. Figured it was an injury, but never heard specifics. Good to hear she's better...especially since we don't run in the same class any more.

The problem actually started at that Pella race. She lost a close sprint to Marie at the finish and was down for like 5 minutes after the race. She's been really careful about over-exerting herself since then and it seems like it worked.

There is going to be a battle between those two at state. They are very close, but also very competitive when the race starts. Should be fun to watch.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT