ADVERTISEMENT

Wow, any “Barbie” fans here?

Haven’t seen it myself……nor planning to…..at least in the theater. Saw Oppenheimer but just don’t think Babs is on my must see list but to make a $billion….dang.
How ws Oppenheimer? Want to see it, but don’t know if I can sit in a theater for 3 hours to watch it.

It was long but imo pretty thought provoking about how early McCarthyism almost cost us the nuclear technology/ military lead. Thank God for German nuclear physicists and Hitlers bias against Jewish scientists.

It was long but imo pretty thought provoking about how early McCarthyism almost cost us the nuclear technology/ military lead. Thank God for German nuclear physicists and Hitlers bias against Jewish scientists.

McCarthyism eventually got fvcked up but initially it was the stop gap for Russian direct access into our Nuclear program in addition to every other secret programs we had running.

McCarthy was a hero until he stopped being one. Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Reactions: Reasoned
Thank God for German nuclear physicists and Hitlers bias against Jewish scientists.
Amen to that. We’re also damn lucky Hitler was myopic about turning his jet A/C (specifically the ME 262) into a bomber and not their original intent as fighters.

Reactions: BamaFan1137
Amen to that. We’re also damn lucky Hitler was myopic about turning his jet A/C (specifically the ME 262) into a bomber and not their original intent as fighters.
Those were scary times. The US public was largely held in the dark about the ME262. I was totally shocked and afraid when I first saw Newsreels of same. We only had radios, and on Saturday, Newsreels were shown at the movies theaters between movies. Ah yes, $.10 for a double feature with comics and Newsreels (which were mostly propaganda). Lotta Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Popeye and my favorite, The Road Runner.

Last edited:
Those were scary times. The US public was largely held in the dark about the ME262. I was totally shocked and afraid when i first saw Newsreels of same. We only had radios, and on Saturday, Newsreels were shown at the movies theaters between movies. Ah yes, $.10 for a double feature with comics and Newsreels (which were mostly propaganda). Lotta Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Popeye and my favorite, The Road Runner.
Propaganda worse or better than today's news?

I still say the world was better when we were limited to 15-30 min of network news each night. They had to net it out and not give endless debates and opinions. Just the facts, to quote Joe Friday.

Propaganda worse or better than today's news?

I still say the world was better when we were limited to 15-30 min of network news each night. They had to net it out and not give endless debates and opinions. Just the facts, to quote Joe Friday.
There was nothing to compare it to back then, except maybe radio. We lived week to week, anxiously awaiting the black and white pictures of the triumphant US Forces. Of course, I was just 9 years old when the war ended. My mother had four brothers in the military during the war. All of them were assigned to Europe, two in the Army Air Force and two with ground forces. We thirsted for any drop of information.

All four of these good men came back damaged and alcoholics. They would not talk about their service.

Last edited:
Reactions: BamaFan1137
There was nothing to compare it to back then, except maybe radio. We lived week to week, anxiously awaiting the black and white picture of the triumphant US Forces. Of course, I was just 9 years old when the war ended. My mother had four brothers in the military during the war. All of them were assigned to Europe, two in the Army Air Force and two with ground forces. We thirsted for any drop of information.

All four of these good men came back damaged and alcoholics. They would not talk abut their service.

Crazy to believe that was case 80 years ago. Once a week you'd go to the movies to get your news that was likely a week or two old, if not older, by the time you watched it.

I'm sure the radio was more up to date but still days old, probably.

In some ways, like Billy said, it was probably better.

Probably better, but nerve wracking. I can still see my grandfather glued to a old upright wooden Philco Radio listening to all of the crackling static trying to glean any bit of information he could.

Every now and then wooden crates would show up from Europe With Nazi uniforms, helmets, medals, Mauser rifles, bayonets, 9MM Luger pistol, etc. You would be surprised at the cruelty of the various types of bayonets.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT