ADVERTISEMENT

Wind last Thursday?

Dec 27, 2011
Does anyone know of a District site that turned around the short sprints to take advantage of the wind? Was it as windy around the state as it was in the metro area?? If you have 2 cameras, could you set them up at both ends every meet and just run the way you want??

You had to be able to have the capabilities to have your fat system at the other end of the track though according to the state. They could not be handheld times. Story City had to run into the wind.

I was told that Ida Grove's track sits up on a hill and it was like a running in a hurricane.

Does the state have any statement about turning events around to run with the wind in the State Qualifying meet handbook? Any coaches out there know if they do?? If some sites did--and others didn't---how do coaches/athletes at the sites that DIDN'T feel about this? Maybe we should go back to 3 auto qualifiers from each district--too bad 4th place at tough districts!

We were told at our meet that all sites were allowed to do this if they felt the need. We were one of the teams at Story City and they told us about how they couldn't turn theirs around because it is cemented into the ground. Personally, I thought it would suck to have a 100, 200, or 100H girl not make it because of that. We were lucky enough to have good times there but I was worried if we didn't get 1st or 2nd, we would not be going in those events. Perfect example of this was our 100 runner who Monday ran a 12.66 but then ran a 13.53 at districts into the wind.

Interesting that some turned theirs around. At the district I was at, on a sheet that had some information for the coaches it said:

It was the consensus of the Joint Track and Field Advisory that races should not be turned around to gain a wind advantage. Therefore races will not be reversed.

So we ran into a nice wind, and on the girls side had only the winner qualify in the 100 and the 200 and both are in lane 8.

The State sent out an email that said this exactly about turning the sprints around:

"One more reminder about reversing races to gain a wind advantage. Races can only be reversed if the race can be timed using the Fully Automatic Timing system (FAT). This is Board policy for both governing organizations and must be adhered to."

It appears as if they did it correctly if they didn't turn it around because of a camera pole being "cemented into the ground."

Interesting that the top finisher in the 100 meter dash from the OA-BCIG district was 15th, only two runners from the other disctricts placed lower.

My kids ran at Hinton and it was very windy there. My son got second in the 200 by about a foot and the winning time of 24.1 was the last of 24 to qualify. My son has run a 23 flat and a 23.08 so that kinda stunk. Luckily they won the 4x100 and qualified for that.

The IAHSAA needs to change this rule. I can't even imagine an argument that has any validity for allowing the reversing of the race.

If he got second then he would have qualified. Top two at each site were in, then the next 8 fastest statewide.

That rule changed this year that only the top person was in and then it was based off of times after that to fill the appropriate number of spots.

Sorry. What I wrote was correct for 2A, but you were referring to a situation in 1A. I didn't realize the qualifying was different until just now when I looked it up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT