ADVERTISEMENT

why no shot clock

kufan_22

All Conference
Jun 8, 2003
Why will the state not go to a shot clock. It needs to be done. When teams start stalling with over 2 minutes left in the quarters it is boring basketball. Utilizing a shot clock also helps refs with 10 sec and 5 sec calls.

I strongly agree with this post! Anyone see the 2-0 final in a boys varsity game in Alabama? Afterwards, many people within the state said it proved a point that they need to have shot clocks. Not saying it'd happen in Iowa, but clearly it's possible. I don't know why, but it appears to me, Iowa is old fashion and isn't (or won't) catch up with the surrounding states. Another thing I do not like, is the seatbelt rule. Why would any coach want to have to sit down? Yes, there's an explanation as to why, but come on. Iowa is the only one to have that rule in effect.

I feel the shot clock will help speed the game up, and provide a better experience for all high school athletes and fans in attendance. For example, Minnesota plays two 18 minute halves with a shot clock, compared to Iowa's four 8 minute quarters without one. A game like that helps translate a player better to the college level. I have heard from a few college coaches that have said it's actually cool to see, because it shows you if a player is really in shape and able to play that long. Which then benefits the player(s) that goes onto to play college ball.

And it appears that many people on here find the IHSAA to be a joke anyways. Wonder why?

There is still the problem of small schools not being able to afford a shot clock and someone to run it. And Iowa is one of the fifteen non shot clock states that averages more points than states that do have shot clocks. Minnesota, a non shot clock state, averages the most points scored per game with 114.9 points scored. The only thing that I could see us changing is going to the two halves rather than four quarters.

I'd definitely be all for that. One or the other would make the game better. College basketball is going to experiment with a shorter shot clock to help speed the game up on the men's side. But yes, I believe a change could be made to make the game better in all of Iowa. I saw a post awhile back talking about why scores in Iowa high school basketball has been so low compared to years before, and there were many assumptions and theories. But the numbers didn't lie, those that were shared. And it'd be cool to see the state make a change!

Having a shot clock for teams that can barely shoot above 40% from the field are going to struggle even more I feel like because they are going to have to force shots at the end of shot clocks because those teams can barely get a good shot to begin with without a shot clock. And switching to the 18 min halves will lengthen the game but also lengthen the time that fans have to be there and they would most likely add 2 more time outs for both teams. So if they make the switch to 2 halves than they should maybe start the games 15-30 mins earlier.

Originally posted by Kakiyosata:
I'd definitely be all for that. One or the other would make the game better. College basketball is going to experiment with a shorter shot clock to help speed the game up on the men's side. But yes, I believe a change could be made to make the game better in all of Iowa. I saw a post awhile back talking about why scores in Iowa high school basketball has been so low compared to years before, and there were many assumptions and theories. But the numbers didn't lie, those that were shared. And it'd be cool to see the state make a change!
What were some of the theories as to why scoring is down compared to years past? Over-abuse of zone defenses?

Shooting skills not as good as they were in yesteryear?

Here we go again, just leave it alone. I don't hear any major outcry from the fans at any of the games I've attended. I guess it's fun to stir up the conversation this time of year. That's about all it amounts to.

I've seen teams just run through their offense for 3-4 minutes, give up uncontested lay ups, pull the ball out and start all over again just to get the game over and on their way home early, so they don't have to win by 70 points instead of 40 or 50 points. So keep playing hard and shooting when you are in the middle of a mercy rule?????.....doesn't make any sense.

This post was edited on 2/7 10:55 PM by Newtigger

This post was edited on 2/7 11:28 PM by Newtigger

IMO, the game at the high school level is for the players, not the fans. If the kids want to get more shots up all they have to do is shoot it. If they're having fun in the current system, let it be.

I'm not complaining or anything, lol. I do agree the game is truly for the players, and it is correct that teams that can't buy a good shot already would struggle even more with a shot clock. But with everything, there'll always be give or take situation.

GoHawk - yeah, the post mentioned a little bit of both, I'm sure I could find it if I got bored as I was when I first ran across it.. Some folks believed it was a fundamental thing, and others believed that zone defenses have become more of use throughout the state. Many were just surprised as to why the scores would be down compared to scores when there wasn't a 3 point line!

Still waiting for someone to talk about the AL game I brought up, still find it crazy. Read an article on it, and I'd hate to see footage of that. lol

Tigger, you've been watching too many Danville games. LMAO! I see your point though. If you are up 40 points in the middle of the third quarter, what do you do? Run the shot clock out without taking a shot or keep launching the 3's or taking the easy lay up? Then it becomes a sportsmanship issue. Come on....you really want Danville to win by a 130 over teams like Maharishi and Harmony?

All a shot clock does is promote lazy defense. If a team is able to pass the ball around 2 minutes without the defense making a play to steal the ball then why should we reward them.

I watch teams pack the lane and force teams to shoot from outside constantly. The refs never call the defensive 5 seconds. I think defensive play in Iowa is lazy already and if add a shot clock it makes it even lazier.

If you don't like watching games where teams hold the ball for the last shot in a quarter then don't go. I don't know what games you have watched, but the longest I have seen a team hold for a last shot was 43 seconds. That is reasonable to do especially when it was a close game and just before half.

I see teams begin cutting down on the clock with 3 or 4 minutes left in the game, but news flash... They do that in college as well and sometimes that comes back to haunt teams that are used to running the floor. It can knock teams out of a rhythm by killing clock and frankly that team is winning and should be allowed to use that as an advantage.

North Scott earlier this year was up around 10 points against Assumption. With 5 minutes left they had Stewart and Seales stand out top killing clock. That forced Assumption out and Stewart or Seales would take his man off the dribble and go to the rim or kick to Grimes at the three point line. Unfortunately for Assumption, Grimes hit 3 of 4 at 3pt range which accounts for 50% of his total 3ptrs on the season. As someone rooting for Assumption I was mad about it. In all honesty. They could have done it all game, because no Assumption defender could stay in front of Stewart.

Maybe add the shot clock at the 4A/3A level to start...this way you are not effecting the small schools that may not be able to afford the clock and someone to run it. Also, most (not all) college bound players come out of the larger class schools, so as to the point of getting the player ready for college hoops...I am definitely for it....anything to help players become better college prospects and showcase the talent we have here in the state...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT