ADVERTISEMENT

Why does Dowling get to host a substate game on their crappy little field?

Apr 27, 2010
Why does the IHSAA allow Dowling to host a substate soccer game on that joke of a home field? It resembles an unirrigated U10 field that also serves as football practice field in the Fall. There are a number of quality full size fields in the DSM area that could be used instead of that thing.

as much as i agree that their field is garbage...its because they are the top seed and are the "hosts" of the substate

So if you're the top seed you're simply not subject to any minimum field requirements? DHS perpetually holds itself out as a "cut above" the other schools; I guess they just overlook their embarrassing lack of quality football and soccer facilities when they make that claim.

In Class 2A Grinnell is the "hosts" as the higher seed but has to travel to Hudson for the Substate Final. A lot of what the IHSAA did this year with the pairings and sites doesn't really make sense.

DCG took Perry to OT last night before falling. Had DCG won, ADM would have had to play them at DCG even though they would have been the higher seed AND had beaten them during the season.

+1 on pairings and sites. There are obvious "issues" all over the place. As long as it took them to release the sites and pairings I'd have hated to see how messed up it would have been had they not taken the extra time.

Glenwood vs Harlan is another one. Glenwood is the higher seed and beat Harlan during the regular season yet they have to face Harlan at Harlan for a substate final??

Come on Boone..do your job right!!

Seeds have nothing to do with host sites. Seeds only determine who gets a first round bye, that is it. Sites are determined by who is willing to host games, and the state also wants sites with bleachers and ability to control the crowd, i.e. make sure everyone pays.
The advisory committee asked that first consideration be given to full size fields, but at end of day they have to use fields from schools willing to host that are within reasonable geographic locations.
If there was a field, whose school was willing to host, and met those conditions, then have coach or AD contact the IAHSSCA and it can be brought up when they meet with IAHSAA

And the substate final at Harlan is on a football field that is only 53 wide X100. The grass is usually way to long for a soccer game.

Glenwood offered to host and they have a full-size field --- so, why again did it end up at Harlan? There are also a # of neutral sites with nice fields in Western Iowa. Why did they go with the crappiest field in Western Iowa?
This post was edited on 5/27 7:31 AM by all-gone

If they are willing to accept sub par fields then there is no excuse to NOT have neutral sites for ALL the substate finals. When you look at the number of schools who hosted first and second round games there shouldn't have been any trouble getting an adequate number of NEUTRAL spots for at least the SUBSTATE FINALS. If necessary let the schools know that preference for hosting a game in the first two rounds will be to agree to host a substate final. Basically if you want home in the first two rounds, you better step to the plate and offer your field as a neutral site.

I don't think the boys from Boone even tried. DCG or ADM meets all the criteria the state was looking for and apparently offered to host a substate (DCG is a substate final this year and ADM was last year). Why would they NOT be used as neutral sites for 3A instead of Valley and Dowling? It's not that far to drive and would have also given the appearance to have evened things out a little for Lewis Central had they needed to make the drive over from CB. Either Valley or Dowling would then have been able (Valley over Dowling since they are a regulation field) to host the 2A substate final instead of DCG.

It's not rocket science. The motivator is money and I can understand that the boys from Boone need to generate money to fund everything. It's Ok, people will understand that, they just need to man up and tell people that really is what their first consideration is always all about.
This post was edited on 5/27 9:20 AM by stickman80

Got to be elsewhere today or I'd love to make a trip west. (Gonna be in Harlan next weekend and I don't think I could take it 2 weekends in a row). I'd love to get video of "football" being played at Harlan's holiest of holy places.

Harlan getting to host this game? That is a pity bone they were thrown.
This post was edited on 5/28 6:49 AM by ghost80

If seeds only determine first round byes then why did winless Creston receive a first round bye and get to host that game. The IHSAA obviously ignored a lot of factors that need to be included in the future.

If there are no ranked teams in the grouping, or only one, then everything else is done alphabetically. So without looking, I'm guessing Creston was the first team alphabetically

Alphabetical should be used as a last ditch determining factor. There are ways relevant to soccer to determine this such as record, net goals (goals scored less goals allowed), rating victories (3 points for 3A victory, 2 for 2A), fewest team cards collected during the season, ect. I could even live with the answer that Creston had the only regulation field in their group.

If the boys from Boone are going to use that little creativity and award a winless team home field and a bye based on the alphabet, they can expect to hear some grief.
This post was edited on 5/29 9:57 AM by ghost80

What I don't like is that schools were required to update their QuikStats this year yet instead of referring to that for records the IHSAA simply assigned seeds based on rankings that weren't even very good or up to date and then reverted to alphabetical. This system is just plain stupid
This post was edited on 5/29 10:55 AM by sportsfan011

Sportsfan011,

I agree with what you are saying but would substitute the word unprofessional for stupid. The way the IHSAA operates is often very unprofessional and this is one of many examples.

The employees at the IHSAA are all paid and should be held to a professional standard. This is especially true for the executives who are paying themselves (note I didn't use the word earning) very handsome salaries and are the ones who are ultimately responsible to deliver a reasonable, professional product. They are missing the goal by a wide mark.

Many of us work in the private sector where delivering these kinds of shoddy products to our customers (yes we are all customers of the IHSAA) would not be tolerated. If we tried to deliver crap like this using the alphabet as the first way to award byes and homefields, we could expect to join the unemployed. I would expect my boss to give me a stone cold look and ask, "you can't do better than this?"

If the boys from Boone were a bunch of volunteers you wouldn't hear a word from me. I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for but the folks from Boone are making way too much money to continue dispensing this bull.

Got an idea. I expect someone will say (either as a reponse to this post or the letter version I am writting to the IHSAA) that they are too busy to spend more time with this and their budget won't allow hiring additional staff. When that happens, my response will be for the IHSAA executives to take a pay cut to allow hiring an additional employee or two working solely on these types of issues.
This post was edited on 5/29 11:16 PM by ghost80

Very well put ghost80..I completely agree. I think we as fans could do a much better job then the IHSAA is currently doing. It seems as though they need more of a passion for what they're doing instead of just throwing pairings together based on the alphabetical system and calling it good.

Bammsucka - I couldn't agree with you more. I could take a big poop in my back yard and it would still be better to play soccer on than Dowling's home field (aka football practice field).

Originally posted by Bammsucka:
Why does the IHSAA allow Dowling to host a substate soccer game on that joke of a home field? It resembles an unirrigated U10 field that also serves as football practice field in the Fall. There are a number of quality full size fields in the DSM area that could be used instead of that thing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT