ADVERTISEMENT

Who's at the Well? 1A edition

Rose bowl or bust

All Conference
Jul 30, 2003
Region 1: Central Lyon (#4)
Region 2: Newell-Fonda (#3)
Region 3: Grundy Center (#7)
Region 4: Preston (#12) in the upset over Burlington Notre Dame (#2)
Region 5: Colo-Nesco (#9)
Region 6: Adair-Casey (#6)
Region 7: Bedford (#1)
Region 8: Gehlen-Catholic (#14) upset over Ar-We-Va (#5)

Watch out for Marquette in region 3, the girls have been to state in softball, volleyball and the seniors on the team were at state for basketball as sophs, they have no fear.

I don't see the Preston upset when evaluating the statistics. BND will really have to be off I believe to keep this tight.

1 - Central Lyon
2 - Newell-Fonda
3 - Grundy Center
4 - Burlington Notre Dame
5 - Colo-NESCO
6 - Adair-Casey
7 - Bedford
8 - Ar-We-Va

Not much for originality, but I do think Adair-Casey and Colo NESCO might be overrated and be the first to be upset. Grundy Center, Bedford, Ar-We-Va, Central Lyon, Newell-Fonda I think are legit. West Sioux and Gehlen imo lost too much from last year to get back to state.

Just thought I'd bump this up to get some updated thoughts from 1A/2A posters alike. Your 1A regional final matchups...

1 - West Sioux (15-8) vs. #1 Central Lyon (22-2) @ Sioux Center

2 - Northwood-Kensett (17-7) vs. #2 Newell-Fonda (21-2) @ Algona

3 - Marquette Catholic (15-6) vs. #6 Grundy Center (20-3) @ Manchester

4 - Lisbon (10-15) vs. #5 Burlington Notre Dame (20-3) @ Wilton

5 - #7 Colo-NESCO (22-2) vs. #9 Meskwaki Settlement (20-3) @ Newton

6 - Twin Cedars (21-3) vs. Earlham (15-9) @ Truro

7 - Villisca (20-4) vs. #3 Bedford (22-1) @ Clarinda

8 - Gehlen Catholic (16-5) vs. #4 Ar-We-Va (20-3) @ Mapleton

My updated thoughts are Central Lyon, Newell-Fonda, Marquette Catholic, BND, Meskwaki Settlement, Earlham, Bedford, and Ar-We-Va. What are your's?

I assume those are IGHSAA rankings but here would be a look at seedings at state:

Region 1 #1 C Lyon vs unranked W Sioux

Region 2 #2 Newell-Fonda vs unranked Northwood Kensett

Region 7 #3 Bedford vs unranked Villisca

Region 8 #4 Ar-We-Va vs unranked Gehlen

Region 4 #5 Burlington ND vs unranked Lisbon

Region 3 #6 Grundy Center vs unranked Marquette

Region 5 #7 Colo vs #9 Meskwaki

Region 6 unranked Twin Cedars vs unranked Earlham

Barring upsets, the rankings might equal the seeds.

Meskwaki Settlement's record is 20-4,they lost to Dunkerton,Grundy Center,A-G/W-S-R and Colo-Nesco.
You can listen to the Meskwaki Settlement vs. Colo-Nesco game on netclassichits.com,which is an internet
radio station based out of Tama-Toledo,on Monday night at 7.

Originally posted by Rose bowl or bust:
Region 1: Central Lyon (#4)
Region 2: Newell-Fonda (#3)
Region 3: Grundy Center (#7)
Region 4: Preston (#12) in the upset over Burlington Notre Dame (#2)
Region 5: Colo-Nesco (#9)
Region 6: Adair-Casey (#6)
Region 7: Bedford (#1)
Region 8: Gehlen-Catholic (#14) upset over Ar-We-Va (#5)
A couple of weeks ago, I would have agreed. I feel Gehlen, though they lost a lot from last year, has been underrated this season because of a couple of bad scores. So I really felt that they would be able to sneak up and return to state. But within the last couple of weeks, a few of the players on the team were caught at a party and have not been allowed to play the past few games (hence why the closer-than-expected scores). I don't know if they will be back for the game VS Ar-We-Va or how their code of conduct works, but if they are without them, I would doubt they have a chance to upset. Even if they are back, they've had a couple games without them and getting them back into the rhythm could not be easy. I guess we will see tomorrow night, though! .

If Marquette keeps Hook and Meyers under 15 points each and under say 8 boards each, I think they win. Having said that, someone else could step up, but I think if you contain the two bigs, you've got a solid chance. Remember, this is the Marquette team that beat 2A Bellevue Public's big girl combo of Ernst and Rubel early in the year and beat then-ranked Preston's big girl combo of Keeney and Krogman late in the year. Should be a good game!

Hook and Meyers both held under 15 points and both had 8 boards and Marquette wins...good guess by this guy! LOL

I also predicted them early on to make it to state, because of these girls playing for Marquette, they never quit.

Newell Fonda 75-28 in a state tourney game? Seriously? Holy smokes- they are good but what the crap-did we have somewhat of a weak region in the SW part of the state?
Looks like early on Marquette is sticking it to Ar-We-Va also.

What a game for the Marquette girls...everyone contributed to this win! Onto Newell Fonda next who is either the real deal or just a team that destroyed a poor team, I'm guessing the former. As long as Marquette can handle Newell Fonda's press (which I'm not that worried about with Sarah Lampe at point) they should give Newell a good game. Should be some interesting matchups!

Coach, in the regional final Bedford played one of their worst games of the year. Couldn't have came at a worse time...All of us in the southwest were expecting Villisca to get trashed once at state though. I guess save the Villisca fans, of course.

Well, looks like we have our first finalist. Newell-Fonda looked really tough, especially considering they played most of that game with one of their better players sitting on the bench in foul trouble.

Central Lyon vs. BND should be a great game. Looks like a good final no matter what happens tomorrow morning.

I picked Newell at the beginning and am staying with them...I would guess the other semi-final will be a better ballgame. I saw NF play in december and thought then they would have to be one of the best teams in 1A- they are deep- which you do not see in 1A anymore- and their guard play is exceptional.

Originally posted by WadeWubben:

Ok I take that back about the other game.
haha...that was a beating. Will be interesting to see this final.

Can either team dictate with their press? Who will be able to run better? Similar styles, who is going to play it better?

Should be a great game!! I like that Ackermann girl from CL- she has decent size and is athletic as heck...but so are both teams...could be lots of turnovers and maybe a game in the 70's??

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT